Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
BHDOGS
Banned

Default Commodore export deal will take it to the home of NASCAR

Interesting peoples thoughts?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/...-1226357727813

ADELAIDE muscle will take on NASCAR racing as Holden today announces an export program to the US for the Commodore V8.

Though sales of the Elizabeth-produced sedan continue to slide in Australia, the powerful V8 will be exported to America where it will be sold with the Chevrolet SS Performance badge.

In that guise, it would also star for the heartland brand in the NASCAR stock car racing series, which runs second only to Formula One in global popularity.

The news follows Holden and the federal government's $1 billion, 10-year "co-investment" package announced in March.

That deal secured the long-term future for more than 2500 workers at Holden's Elizabeth plant and thousands of associated automotive industry workers throughout South Australia and interstate.

Holden has been testing left-hand drive cars on public roads in Victoria in recent weeks and running it head-to-head with one of its strongest potential rivals, the Dodge Charger, as it finalises its end of the important new deal.

Motorsport sources in the US hint an announcement about the new Chevrolet SS program is imminent, including the connection with Holden.

The dollar value of this historic deal is expected to be announced today.

Premier Jay Weatherill said: "The company is yet to confirm these reports, but Holden is an integral part of South Australia's manufacturing base and any opportunity the company can take to showcase itself on a world stage is excellent."

Australian Manufacturing Workers Union state secretary John Camillo said any increase in exports by Holden was a good thing for South Australian workers.

"The more they export, the better it is for workers at the Elizabeth," he said.

The Chevrolet connection is a revival of the major export deal that saw the Commodore sold in the US as the Pontiac G8 until the US brand was closed when General Motors was forced into bankruptcy in the global financial crisis. Numbers now are likely to be lower but the profile higher with the NASCAR connection.

Former GM Holden president Mark Reuss, now head of GM operations in the US, was yesterday dodging questions on a link between the SS program and Commodore.

Holden chairman Mike Devereux also refused to comment.

BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
rjr

Default Re: Commodore export deal will take it to the home of NASCAR

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20120516d

Similar release >

Quote:
Holden to announce export of the Commodore to U.S. as Chevrolet SS: Holden will announce tomorrow an export program for the Commodore, which will see the Adelaide [Australia] made car become a race and showroom star in the United States. Though sales of the Elizabeth-produced sedan continue to slide in Australia, a Commodore V8 will be exported to America where it will be sold with the Chevrolet SS Performance badge. In that guise, it would also star for the heartland brand in the NASCAR stock car racing series, which runs second only to Formula One in global popularity. Holden has been testing left-hand drive cars on public roads in Victoria in recent weeks and running it head-to-head with one of its strongest potential rivals, the Dodge Charger, as it finalises its end of the important new deal. Motorsport sources in the USA hint that an announcement of the Chevrolet SS program is imminent, including the Holden connection. The coming VF Commodore as the donor car for the program ticks the boxes for American muscle car fans, and NASCAR stock car racing as well, thanks to its V8 engine, large body and rear-wheel drive. Former GM Holden president Mark Reuss, now the head of GM operations in the US and a known fan and supporter of the Commodore, dodged Carsguide's questions on a link between the SS program and the Commodore. Holden chairman Mike Devereux also refused to comment on the strengthening rumours in the US, which were triggered by the announcement. Full-scale testing of the racer is expected to begin soon, and the bodywork expected to be revealed at the same time.()(5-16-2012)
rjr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
BHDOGS
Banned

Im guessing they will use some australian parts instead of importing full commodores
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 03:18 AM   #4
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

It's a good idea, but if it doesn't sell any better than the Pontiac G8 did, it will be a waste of money.

Ford can't seem to make a good business case for bringing the Falcon here. Apparently GM thinks it can make a case for bringing the Commodore. (And of course they're already trying police sales for the "new" Caprice.)
Old 17-05-2012, 06:22 AM   #5
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
It's a good idea, but if it doesn't sell any better than the Pontiac G8 did, it will be a waste of money.
This.
The V8 versions of the Pontiac G8 sold for around USD$30,000 but by the end most had between $4,000 and $5,000 of cash incentives.
Sure there's a market for the car but you have to ask whay Ford has stepped completely away from V8 RWD sedans in the USA...

Quote:
Ford can't seem to make a good business case for bringing the Falcon here. Apparently GM thinks it can make a case for bringing the Commodore. (And of course they're already trying police sales for the "new" Caprice.)
Falcon for the USA has been looked at no fewer than three times in the past decade and each time, the figures didn't add up.
Holden and GM claims the GFC and cancellation of Pontiac brand were at fault for G8's poor sales but you have to wonder
about a company that passed up on a RWD Impala and then struggled on for another four years with the old FWD car
only to then belatedly release a new version and finally announce a Commodore import program...

Completely dysfunctional when you consider the money spent on Zeta program and that a SS Commodore in the USA as the 2007 Impala
would have been a slam dunk home run but no, after all that money spent, GMNA got cold feet and chickened out...

Sorry but I think the US market for "SS" has moved on and IMO, you could make a better case for a Caprice and Buick Park Avenue.

Last edited by jpd80; 17-05-2012 at 06:29 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
RASER
Banned

I think they are making a announcment today, 17th May, about Holden made exports, hows yours going Ford AUS?
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
I think they are making a announcment today, 17th May, about Holden made exports, hows yours going Ford AUS?

In all fairness, allow them 2 years to respond with - we didnt export any falcons to the US, but then again we didnt lose $200 million on the deal either.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #8
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
you make a few comments like this in various threads i've noticed, but i'm not sure you understand the logistics of it all.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Personally, i'll beleive it when the announcement is made...still a bit skeptical as this deal clashes with a few other things in GM's plans...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #10
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
i believe sales of the G8 were just picking up as pontiac closed down, just as word was getting out. if they'd had another year or two they'd have been able to call it a success. That's why they are continuing with this export deal, because they know there's something there for the enthusiast niche.

There's plenty of room in that market for the Falcon, but they keep getting muscled out by their USA bosses. A market the numbers that FPV achieved wouldn't be a worthwhile blip on Ford's radar, but it'd be a huge deal for FOA and FPV.
Old 17-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #11
RASER
Banned

Thumbs up Re: Commodore export deal will take it to the home of NASCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
i believe sales of the G8 were just picking up as pontiac closed down, just as word was getting out. if they'd had another year or two they'd have been able to call it a success. That's why they are continuing with this export deal, because they know there's something there for the enthusiast niche.

There's plenty of room in that market for the Falcon, but they keep getting muscled out by their USA bosses. A market the numbers that FPV achieved wouldn't be a worthwhile blip on Ford's radar, but it'd be a huge deal for FOA and FPV.
Got to remember that large cars are not the main sellers in USA, its trucks, trucks, trucks, [God bless'm] and then mid size, and then small vehicles.

Its the reason GM killed off so many car brands, plus to much badge engineering and overlap

So, the Commodore can and will find some sort of niche in USA, will be small volume by US standards but great and large and very good by AUS standards.

I take my hat off to Holden for pushing hard on exports [No comment on AUS Ford] we need every job we can in AUS.
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #12
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

This is good news and I hope it works out.
The G8 failed due to various reasons more related to GM itself than the vehicle.

Goodluck to Holden, would be nice if Ford could do the same with the Falcon.
Might give Ford access then to more of the global parts bin too.
Old 17-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #13
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
This is good news and I hope it works out.
The G8 failed due to various reasons more related to GM itself than the vehicle.

Goodluck to Holden, would be nice if Ford could do the same with the Falcon.
Might give Ford access then to more of the global parts bin too.
I am in two minds about it myself.

On one side I also think its odd they are trying it again when our dollar is higher than it was when they gave G8 a crack IIRC....Past export programs for niche segments just hasnt ever worked for us.

But on the other hand good on them for having a go, seriously, so they have made some losses trying, they are still out selling the Falcon in good numbers and the aura of the brand is increased when you look proactive about your future.

Thats the difference, if Ford want to rain on the party then do a press release saying that the feasibility didint stack up, past experience show its not quite the right solution..etc etc...JUST SAY OR DO SOMETHING!

This is THE key difference between the brands, GM generally has a crack and is not left wondering what if...Ford cut cut cut and study until the cows come home and keep their head above water.

If I hear Mulally say "ah yeah we are still working out the Falcon" one more time I will hurl. I respect that Ford seems to take the responsible route, but I also respect GM for making things happen.

All very well and good to critique in hindsight.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 17-05-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #14
blk6t

I believe the VE will sell better under Chev then Pontiac, Chev is more supported and more of a popular brand.

The VE great RWD platform especially with a V8 under the hood. If this does go ahead, I applaud GM for supporting our local manufacturing.

I do think that the Commodore in it's current form is a bit bland for the US market and maybe a Clubsport would be better suited.

My thoughts on the export deal is that it will go ahead, GM will import the Commodore, but only for a period of time. GM will then setup one of their facilities in the US to eventually start building the vehicle themselves and sending the car back to Australia. This will only make the car cheaper to buy here and HSV could continue as always.

I only wish that Ford could have given our local car a shot at the US market.

And Polyal...SPOT ON mate, Ford US always have these releases about new tech etc and nothing ever makes it to the showroom.
Old 17-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #15
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I am in two minds about it myself.

On one side I also think its odd they are trying it again when our dollar is higher than it was when they gave G8 a crack IIRC....Past export programs for niche segments just hasnt ever worked for us.

But on the other hand good on them for having a go, seriously, so they have made some losses trying, they are still out selling the Falcon in good numbers and the aura of the brand is increased when you look proactive about your future.

Thats the difference, if Ford want to rain on the party then do a press release saying that the feasibility didint stack up, past experience show its not quite the right solution..etc etc...JUST SAY OR DO SOMETHING!

This is THE key difference between the brands, GM generally has a crack and is not left wondering what if...Ford cut cut cut and study until the cows come home and keep their head above water.

If I hear Mulally say "ah yeah we are still working out the Falcon" one more time I will hurl. I respect that Ford seems to take the responsible route, but I also respect GM for making things happen.

All very well and good to critique in hindsight.
If Holden don't do the niche V8 model only they may have a better chance. Unfortunately they only offered the G8 in an auto V8 sedan where it was destined for a niche market (enthusiasts wanted manual too). Coupled with the fact that Pontiac very soon had been killed off and a sudden rise in US petrol prices that for a period caused a drop in V8 sales really did cement the G8s fate.

Like you said GM will just do it and Ford study it. I admire GM for this. At least they're looking at other markets to keep the Commodore viable.
Disappointing that Ford just sit on their hands. Even Ford AU are behind the times with getting Euro products here. Hopefully that changes.
Old 17-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #16
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pontiac was a lame duck brand for selling the Commodore. The V8 Commodore belongs in showrooms alongside the Camaro, Corvettte. The NASCAR branding will be a huge win for the car. Even if they sell 1000 a units a month over there, it makes the Commodore much more sustainable.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #17
blk6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Pontiac was a lame duck brand for selling the Commodore. The V8 Commodore belongs in showrooms alongside the Camaro, Corvettte. The NASCAR branding will be a huge win for the car. Even if they sell 1000 a units a month over there, it makes the Commodore much more sustainable.

1000 cars a month in the US should be easy under the Chev brand, that's 20 sales per state each month...
Old 17-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #18
XWGT