Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-09-2006, 08:44 AM   #1
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Default No more (//) signs in the territory??

Well it is official, the Clare Martin NT governmenet will be voting this week to impose a blanket 110K limit over the NT. It would appear that Federal Government pressure and the fact she now heads up what is basically a dictatorship have made it too easy for her. In the past any Terrirory gov would pay a hefty price at the ballot box for just mentioning that they were "thinking" of introducing low speed limits. Now that we basically have no opposition in the NT she is weilding a very big stick.

This will make abolutely no difference to the road toll. It is just another government revenue grab. Our worsr accicents always happen on dirt roads where there is little or no police presence anyway.

I guess that the cannonballers will be changing their plans now.

Old 27-09-2006, 08:48 AM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Its going to kill alot of trucking bussiness I think.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 08:52 AM   #3
james22
With da Warlords

And i was looking forward to giving my old girl a bit of a run out there.... damn :

They want to change the speed limit in orange here from 50kph to 45. Already takes too long to get across town.

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 09:00 AM   #4
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
Its going to kill alot of trucking bussiness I think.
Why? most trucks are speed limited anyhow.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 09:05 AM   #5
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennAUII
You mean most trucks have speed limit signs on them ......... :

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 09:05 AM   #6
FDG 220
Confused lil guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Well it is official, the Clare Martin NT governmenet will be voting this week to impose a blanket 110K limit over the NT. It would appear that Federal Government pressure and the fact she now heads up what is basically a dictatorship have made it too easy for her. In the past any Terrirory gov would pay a hefty price at the ballot box for just mentioning that they were "thinking" of introducing low speed limits. Now that we basically have no opposition in the NT she is weilding a very big stick.

This will make abolutely no difference to the road toll. It is just another government revenue grab. Our worsr accicents always happen on dirt roads where there is little or no police presence anyway.

I guess that the cannonballers will be changing their plans now.
:1syellow1 :1syellow1 :1syellow1 :1syellow1 You live in NT!!!!
Can i use your address for a licence???
FDG 220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 09:05 AM   #7
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Its sad the road rules are designed to keep the braindead alive.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 09:22 AM   #8
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Another thing that I forgor to mention is they are bringing in demerit point and power restrictions for 16 to 18 year old drivers.

These laws will kill more people than they ever save. I can see all kinds of folk falling asleep because they will be spending so much more time on the road to get anywhere. We have distances approaching 500klms between roadhouses, and trust me, there is nothing to look at in between. Not even any corners. It never ceases to amaze me how dumb people become once they get into government, or is it ego??
Old 27-09-2006, 09:28 AM   #9
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
You mean most trucks have speed limit signs on them ......... :
Yeh and most roadtrains can't do over 95 - 100 anyways!

Speed limiters are getting harder and harder to tamper with with the newer trucks, not like the older Volvos etc where you could just un plug them under the glovebox.

I dont see how its going to affect transport, you dont see too many trucks sitting on anything over 115 which they will still be able to do neways as the roads will be unpoliced for a large part of the trip.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 09:38 AM   #10
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I wonder how long before they change it back because it's causing too many fatalities?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 09:46 AM   #11
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR8220
I wonder how long before they change it back because it's causing too many fatalities?
They wont care about the fatalities as long as the revenue keeps coming in. This is not about the road toll. If you look at the NT stats they look pretty bad. But if you look at the individual accidents, the vast majority of them have nothing to do with speed and more to do with unroadworthy cars on dirt roads with 12 people in them...... Drunk drivers, no license. So they stick limits on the Sturt highway. Just goes to show that all pollies must have a full frontal labotomy when they get into parliment.
Old 27-09-2006, 10:14 AM   #12
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Queenslanders are stuck with 100km/hr on the open road !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Trend here is to lower speed limits and raise revenue. RACQ supports the govt not motorists, that they are supposed to represent.
W.A report said "the majority of motorists caught by speed cameras are not the ones causing the road carnage" We need car pollies !!! NOW !!!
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 10:52 AM   #13
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

I did warn most AUS motoring forums about this.

Had anyone taken the advice to write to their local MP?

IF you want to keep derestriction on the lengths of road where (//) is signposted - CALL YOUR LOCAL MEMBER *NOW*.

CSV - The so called motoring clubs are lets face it insurance companies, they are not pro-driver advocates as was once the case, the greater restriction proposed by government, the greater their support, 'generally'.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 27-09-2006 at 11:09 AM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 11:17 AM   #14
The Monty
Just slidin'

Speed restrictions lower, I am going to watch for the rise in road toll. Then they cant say anything about the lower speed limits being a positive step. :
Old 27-09-2006, 11:28 AM   #15
orsomxc
WAD05
Donating Member1

Quote:
I have a customer who bought a truck cheap from NSW because it was busted 3 times doing over 160kph.

The same truck is now running free in QLD.
XC Fairmont Sedan - Cherry Black, Really Low, 17" Polished American Racing Hopsters, Original 250 X-Flow Block with alloy head. 30 thou over, ACL pistons, Crow cam, Redline manifold/350 holley, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, electronic ignition. Cream leather/suede XE ESP Front Buckets. Real nice cruiser :
orsomxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 11:57 AM   #16
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

This is most disapointing.

Here is the letter I drafted..

Quote:
Dear Mr ******,

I've recently heard that the Northern Territory government will be voting on enforcing a blanket 110kmph speed limit throughout the N.T.

Of particular concern are the currently derestricted roads available in the N.T area.

110 Kmph zones will force people to drive longer and in more dangerous conditions such at night time where visibility is lower and the risk of animal strikes is much greater.

It also results in people becoming more isolated than they previously were in this part of Australia.

Above this much of Australia’s local automotive manufacturers extensively test vehicles in this region as it provides easy, safe and suitable roads to test speeds higher than 110Kmph. This is essential for durability testing and development. While a normal vehicle may never travel much over 110kmph, it is essential to test vehicles are higher speed to ensure stability, reliability and durability. While alternatives are available they are compromised with shorter lengths, greater risks (poor surfaces, blind crests etc) and less availability (must be booked weeks in advanced etc). Less extensive development and testing results in dramatically poorer vehicles.

This decision will not just be detrimental for locals and tourists, but for Australia’s most precious automotive industry. The only true first world large scale industry Australia supports.

While it may seem to draw a long bow, they are strongly linked. Building cars for Australian conditions explicitly means extensive hot weather high speed testing in the N.T. This is a extremely competitive industry and development and testing is so critical to the end product and is the most expensive part of developing a car.

While the N.T government is a labour party government, I have heard that it is pressure from the Federal Government that is pushing this action along.

I urge you and your government to prevent this terrible decision. I urge you to draw attention this and allow further and wider community and industry consultation on this issue.

Regards,

Terrible news. I honestly belive it will eventually hurt our automotive industry. How can it not? It would be like claiming that closing the Autobahns/'ring in germany wouldn't have a negitive effect on car development in germany, of course it would.

Thats on top of the people dying from night driving and being further isolated.

Stupid stupid stupid.

By by competitive car industry, hello 110 kmph engineered peices of crap.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 11:59 AM   #17
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
CSV - The so called motoring clubs are lets face it insurance companies, they are not pro-driver advocates as was once the case, the greater restriction proposed by government, the greater their support, 'generally'.
So, so, so, SO true. Big $$$ insurance companies who, well... dont even pretend to front up as motoring advocates any more.

Yes... every new law imposed upon Australian motors is another avenue for an insurer to deny a claim.
Old 27-09-2006, 12:04 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When is this coming into force.
I feel a quick holiday is on the cards......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 12:11 PM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You know there are no upside down transport ones out there.

I have followed many trucks on the Stuart & Barkley at 130km/h.......
Old 27-09-2006, 12:13 PM   #20
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually if this is implemented it might have a few good side effects.

1) If NT people are still as I remember them then the government will be rolled.
2) We will have a comparative stat. Of course it the road toll drops then we are buggered else if it goes up then we have grounds to lobby for a raised limit in rural QLD/WA/SA etc.
Old 27-09-2006, 12:47 PM   #21
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Imagine how unsafe it would be to overtake a 3 trailer road train, travelling @ 100kph, without breaking the speed limit you would on the 'wrong' side of the road for well over a minute. probably longer.

Even though i havnt ever been to the NT, it was nice to know one day if i had a suitable vehicle that i wouldnt mind stretching its legs, the NT was only 14 or so hours away....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 01:33 PM   #22
LTDHO
The one and only

Will it be enforced though?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 01:40 PM   #23
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
They want to change the speed limit in orange here from 50kph to 45. Already takes too long to get across town.
I would be a supporter of a blanket 45km/h speed limit in built up areas (excluding arterial roads obviously)
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 01:43 PM   #24
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Its too late for any kind of public consultation. Clare has kept this quiet and has introduced it into the NT parliment this week for "debate". She is a very sneaky operator. There was no mention of this in her election campagne or pre election policies. Previous gov's have been rolled for campaigning with "speed restriction policies". She is lord and master of the NT parliment with something like 80% of the seats. It is two years until the next election. I for one will never vote for her or her party ever again. And I have written and told her that, like she will give a tinkers cuss.
Just another example of the way Australia's polititions crap on their "subjects"

Man this has P1ssed me off. When we go up north fishing or what ever, instead of getting on the road early and getting there before dark, now there will be 3 or 4 hout night component of the trip. Panel beating companies will be happy!
Old 27-09-2006, 01:46 PM   #25
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Will it be enforced though?
thats funny....OF COURSE!
theres a lot of $$$$$ to be made off of speeding fines.

seriously though, it was only a matter of time before one of the last freedoms of this country were removed.
i dont have any reponsibilties any more and i have no need to think for myself either. the government has taken away any need for me to think, let alone make a decision by myself.

i will now be acting like a 5 year old child and awaiting my next instruction.
:
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 01:48 PM   #26
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is there any link for this news?

Cant find anything
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 02:08 PM   #27
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Is there any link for this news?

Cant find anything
http://www.ntnews.news.com.au/common...E13569,00.html

If anyone is interested the Transport minister in the Territory is Delia Lawrie. She can be emailed at territory.labor@alp.org.au

Make sure that you put attention Delia Lawrie in the subject feild, and be polite.

Cheers all.
Old 27-09-2006, 02:18 PM   #28
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphido
This is most disapointing.
Here is the letter I drafted..
That letter doesnt make much sense to me

Quote:
Terrible news. I honestly belive it will eventually hurt our automotive industry. How can it not? It would be like claiming that closing the Autobahns/'ring in germany wouldn't have a negitive effect on car development in germany, of course it would. By by competitive car industry, hello 110 kmph engineered peices of crap.
Ford and Holden dont develop or engineer their cars with the intention of catering for the NT residents who account for less than 1% of Australia's population (and prob even less of the overall car market considering the concentration of corporations on the east coast). 99.9% of Falcons and Commodores are AT BEST cruising at 115km/h on the Hume, but even this speed is very over-optimisitic. If NT reduce their max speed, Ford and Holden wont do one thing differently.

Quote:
Thats on top of the people dying from night driving and being further isolated.
I can see what you are trying to get at here, and thats if people spend less time on the road the they will have less accidents. Yeah, you are opening a can of worms there, that is the age old scientists argument of "do you stay drier from running in the rain", plus i would argue the ability to avoid accidents at lower speeds is far better. But we wont go into that one.
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 02:21 PM   #29
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

is the age old scientists argument of "do you stay drier from running in the rain"

i think dr.carl from triple j did this test and found it is better to run!
Old 27-09-2006, 02:31 PM   #30
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MkIIFutura
I would be a supporter of a blanket 45km/h speed limit in built up areas (excluding arterial roads obviously)
Good on you mate.
Is it any wonder governments can get away with enacting rediculous law's.
there is always some stooges handy for a sound bite that helps them,or that believe there tripe,and scewed statistics...
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post