Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-05-2010, 07:31 AM   #1
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Has Aussie Government gone mad

A mate of mine finally found out why paypal froze his account, it seems Australian government requires photo ID for anything over $1000 in a paypal account, he had to send a copy of his drivers liscence to an anonamous fax number here in Australia , he did this and apparently his photo was too dark so they want him to go get his liscence pic taken again at QLD transport and resend before Paypal will be authorised to free his money in paypal account so he can use it.this little Nannystate government brought this in on the first of April this year. WTF.
number search finds out its The Governer Generals Dept ,Asio ,
so now we really do have a Big Brother Looking over our shoulders.

OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its really no different to being identified when opening a bank account and obviously Paypal is under similar requirements.

all about anti money laundering and financing of terroist activities.

2008 FPV GT - Auto, Seduce Red, Leather Interior, Herrod Performance Air Box with K&N Pod Filter.

2018 4WD Everest Trend - Blue Reflex.
xr6turbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
Dodge
i like to be stroked

i had 5k in there and i converted to us$ when i tried to convert the us back to au$ and deposit back to my bank as my purchase didnt go ahead , i had to send paypal a copy of 1, bank account, 2 , drivers/lL, 3 , proof of address, i sent rental contract and post office diversion papers, then they wanted more id, so i had to send my last 3 bank staements, my last tax and real birth cirtificate...still not enough , i called them and had to email more id ,,the stupid thing was all i was doing was putting mone back in the account where it came from originally, they could see the account where the money was drwan from as it registered on paypal already, it took 3 weeks to clear this up so i closed my paypal , frickn ebay can go f $#k itself i will never use paypal again.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my mate had to sell a car off cheap to make his mortgage payment due to this so you can guess how angry he is,
Old 07-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge
i had 5k in there and i converted to us$ when i tried to convert the us back to au$ and deposit back to my bank as my purchase didnt go ahead , i had to send paypal a copy of 1, bank account, 2 , drivers/lL, 3 , proof of address, i sent rental contract and post office diversion papers, then they wanted more id, so i had to send my last 3 bank staements, my last tax and real birth cirtificate...still not enough , i called them and had to email more id ,,the stupid thing was all i was doing was putting mone back in the account where it came from originally, they could see the account where the money was drwan from as it registered on paypal already, it took 3 weeks to clear this up so i closed my paypal , frickn ebay can go f $#k itself i will never use paypal again.
And if you ever want to use a similar type account again you will have to go through it all again.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
XAGSV8
Member 178

It's been law for a long time. Retailers are supposed to view some ID when purchases over this amount are made. Many don't know about it and it is not really enforced.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge
It takes me less documentation to get a passport!
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it's easy to blame the government but as crims get better at hiding and moving money we suffer with more restrictive identification requirements. If there was none of this the scum would be able to move money around far easier for their drug deals and terrorist activities

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is this thing called "Money Laundering"...... and PayPal would be the best place to do it, hence why you need to prove who you are etc....

What you should be whinging about is why PayPal takes 7 to 10 days to transfer your money electronically?

BPay at worst takes 3 days to clear, why does PayPal take longer?

Simple... Is that Paypal takes your money and holds onto it in a very large account for several days and makes interest on your money, then releases the money.
Even a $50 payment takes ages to clear... easy way to make money.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #10
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what he is most upset about is the fact its taken 3 weeks for them to say his photo liscence was too dark for them.so it will take another week or two to sort it out. if anyone thinks thats fine then you have better patience than me