Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-01-2006, 09:50 PM   #1
francisjones

Default fan problems au fairlane

both thermo fans are only working intermittently. have checked all fusable links and relays, all seem ok. start the car up and one or two fans kick in when they should, but after a few minutes they both stop. you can stop the vehicle and start it again, and they may or may not come on, there appears to be no ryhme or reason to it. doesn't matter if the climate control is turned on or off, doesn't matter if it's a warm day or not, load doesn't seem to affect it, and neither do driving conditions. this one is driving me mad. any help please?

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 11:59 PM   #2
Davo3460

if it,s not getting hot why worry mate
Davo3460 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 12:02 AM   #3
LUXO_8
windsor user

they arent suposed to go all the time
they were working perfectly fine.......
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 02:16 PM   #4
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If your really concerned and want them going, just bypass the thrmo sensor and hard wire the fans in, but be warned, they aren't the quietest.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 03:28 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
they arent suposed to go all the time
they were working perfectly fine.......
That's what I thought as well ... aren't they switched on when it reached a certain temperature ... and off again, etc.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 03:35 PM   #6
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is there a simple way to test if the fans are working? I dont have a voltmeter.. I've never heard the fans come on since i've had my car..
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 04:00 PM   #7
EA2BA
PM me if you want

when you start the car they are supposed to kick on then back off, its a self test and proves they work, if they never come on and the temp stays normal dont worry, if you put the a/c on at least one fan should kick in if they are working correctly however.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 04:23 PM   #8
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If you wanna test that the temp sensor is working fine (and if you havent noticed your car overheating) you can idle you car for about 10-15mins (if its cold idle for longer).

That should heat the engine enough to kick over the fans.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 10:53 PM   #9
zoomzoom

there is a coupleof test to do
put the a.c on full speed and the fans should come on
like prevuios report if the car is not over heating dont worry
zoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post