Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 09-10-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
FRA
Mr Focus

Default Car care products

What car care products does everyone use?
I was using RECO on the weekend for cut and polish on my 2003 sedan. This had cement splatter and brake dust on it. I was really suprised when it all came out.
Has anyone else used any of these products on their Focus?

Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.

Last edited by FRA; 09-10-2006 at 09:13 PM.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 04:50 AM   #2
Forest Bear

For paint I put on a coat of Polyglaze Glide-On Glaze every 4-5 months. I've used it with my previous 2001 Astra. Water and muck glides off like the paint has teflon. Keeps the car looking show-room brand new. About $14 bottle.

Some kitten tyre spray.

Thats it really.
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 05:37 AM   #3
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRA
What car care products does everyone use?
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...highlight=care

This link should help out
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 09:21 AM   #4
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I use Zaino products for washing and polishing (when I get of my a*se and do it). Products are hard to get but brilliant.

Am a big fan of Autoglym vinyl and rubber care
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 09:33 AM   #5
Marshy79

www.finalinspection.com.au

They have forums there that offer heaps of help and can answer all your questions.

The prices are pretty darn good as well.
Well the best princing I have seen.

Only offer the best of stuff as well.

I have gone to one detailing clinic with the guru Damian, top guy and really knows his stuff.
Marshy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 12:04 PM   #6
whippet_zetec
Supes

meguiars products for me, car wash every week with meguiars product, kanebo chamois, eagle one meguiars tech wax done when needed and a complete meqguiars pure polish/wax once a year.
Old 13-10-2006, 01:58 PM   #7
Marshy79

Yeah im finding Megs stuff not the best the more I go into it.

The NXT wash is awesome.
The NXT Tech wax is pretty awesome... mainly cause I have a black car and it will hide (fill) swirls.

The Tyre shine I have isnt the best... slings too much. Other products wont.
The Trim detailer isnt so good... runs... fades quicker than other products.

Most of my gear is all Megs... just cause its got a good name... and I was a newby.
Like half of it is good.... but im finding some of it to be sub standard.

Im still afraid my wheel cleaner isnt good on my Rims... but time will tell! Works pretty darn good to. That extreme shine wheel cleaner or something.
Old 14-10-2006, 02:32 AM   #8
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshy79
Yeah im finding Megs stuff not the best the more I go into it.
The NXT wash is awesome.
The NXT Tech wax is pretty awesome... mainly cause I have a black car and it will hide (fill) swirls.
The Tyre shine I have isnt the best... slings too much. Other products wont.
The Trim detailer isnt so good... runs... fades quicker than other products.
Most of my gear is all Megs... just cause its got a good name... and I was a newby.
Like half of it is good.... but im finding some of it to be sub standard.
Im still afraid my wheel cleaner isnt good on my Rims... but time will tell! Works pretty darn good to. That extreme shine wheel cleaner or something.
Marshy, you may find as with any product the tools and aplication are just as important,

With the tyre shine i am not sure if you are using the spray ( hot tyre shine ) or the gel ? but in both cases it is always best to apply less and give it two coats if needed, this should always be applied with an applicator such as soft sponge etc then wiped onto the tyre, regardless of type i have an old rag that i always wipe over the tyres when finished to remove any excess product.

I am not sure why you are having trouble with the trim detailer as it is a great product, the trick with the trim detailer ( in the black bottle ) is more in the wash to start with, if when washing the car you do not soap up all trim and wash it properly over time the trim will develop a thin clear film of old residue then when applying more you will end up with splotchy less than perfect results, i apply all trim detail with a small brush shaped like my finger and i may find several coats are nneded to give an overall even black finish, and as with the tyre shine you must wipe any excess if any after leaving it sit for while but you should have perfect black trim.

With you wheel clnr once again it depends on application and how often it is done, but this should be done during the wash of the car and may need several applications to completly clean the rims, it is also important to nuetrelise the clnr with some wash afterwards and if needed a very soft sponge in wash to clean any stubborn area's ( do not use the wash your using on the car, but make up a mix 4/1 water wash in a clean spay bottle for this. rinse then dry your rims, finally spray some window clnr on a clean cloth and gently wipe over the rim to remove any whie residue left over.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2006, 03:33 AM   #9
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use meguiars (?) deep crystal polish, bug and grime wash (it's dads), sponge, chamosis, armoural tyre foam and some plastic/vinyl wipes for the interior and black bits of the car.

I have next to no idea how to bring out the best in Ink Blue, and whether it's best to invest in an orbital polisher.
Old 14-10-2006, 10:02 AM   #10
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been using Autoglym since the last time we could wash our cars with hoses.... (June) and to be honest, it is fantastic... that last weekend i went through with every imagineable item and washed / polished properly... now just using the car shampoo conditioner, it comes up perfect every time, just using a bucket (Which incidentally i reckon uses more water than a fine spray out of a hose) sponge and chamois.
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2006, 11:09 AM   #11
raymon81

Does anybody know where i can buy the 3m stuff? ive gone to supercheap,repco,autobarn,auto1 cant find it. Ive heard 3m is the best stuff u can get and also know that alot of the detailers,panel beaters recommend it. All i need is a swirl remover and wax for now. And another question, how often do you wax your car? one detailer told me u should wax ur car every couple weeks.
Lowered 30-35mm King springs, Custom leather interior, Polished standard 17s rims, Cadance monoblock amplifier and Alpine Type S sub woofer, clear reverse+fog+tail lights, Angel eyes and a few CHROMEEEEEE bits on my baby.
raymon81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 10:14 AM   #12
Marshy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Marshy, you may find as with any product the tools and aplication are just as important,

With the tyre shine i am not sure if you are using the spray ( hot tyre shine ) or the gel ? but in both cases it is always best to apply less and give it two coats if needed, this should always be applied with an applicator such as soft sponge etc then wiped onto the tyre, regardless of type i have an old rag that i always wipe over the tyres when finished to remove any excess product.

I am not sure why you are having trouble with the trim detailer as it is a great product, the trick with the trim detailer ( in the black bottle ) is more in the wash to start with, if when washing the car you do not soap up all trim and wash it properly over time the trim will develop a thin clear film of old residue then when applying more you will end up with splotchy less than perfect results, i apply all trim detail with a small brush shaped like my finger and i may find several coats are nneded to give an overall even black finish, and as with the tyre shine you must wipe any excess if any after leaving it sit for while but you should have perfect black trim.

With you wheel clnr once again it depends on application and how often it is done, but this should be done during the wash of the car and may need several applications to completly clean the rims, it is also important to nuetrelise the clnr with some wash afterwards and if needed a very soft sponge in wash to clean any stubborn area's ( do not use the wash your using on the car, but make up a mix 4/1 water wash in a clean spay bottle for this. rinse then dry your rims, finally spray some window clnr on a clean cloth and gently wipe over the rim to remove any whie residue left over.

Cheers for the big tips!

I have looked into using this stuff properly. Done my research.

The Tyre shine... i have the gel. I apply it using a sponge... i rub the living hell into the tyres... use minimal amount.... and now only do one coating to prevent slinging. I do think it would work better if you let the tyres dry all day long... think it wouldnt sling then. I find I get little amounts of sling over the next few days after applying it. You really do need to do two coats to get the tyres rather black though.

The Trim detailer.... not a huge fan of. I do three coats of the stuff and last time even left a tiny amount on the rubber to let sink in (and lightly buffed off over time to remove residue).
I will try giving more coats next time... and wont wash directly with suds on the rubber.
Im using up all the stuff I have anyways.

The Wheel cleaner. Nothing wrong with it. Works an absolute treat. Most of the time I dont need to even rub my wheels after spraying the wheels (my car gets washed at least twice a week anyways). My only drama if its PH Netreul for my wheels. It says on the back for clear coated (or something else as well) wheels I should be using something else. So i might of bought the wrong stuff. Works well though!

I have heaps of Megs stuff. Happy with 99% of the range. we can never be pleased 100% of the time hey!

I thoroughly recommend the NXT car wash and the NXT wax.
The metal polish works well on the exhaust tips.
The foam leather cleaner conditioner works wonders on my leather interior (the cream is harder to apply and gets stuck in the little holes in the leather)
All the applicators and brushes are simply amazing (though my wheel brush bends a bit too much but i guess that saves scratching)
Old 16-10-2006, 10:21 AM   #13
Marshy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by xurbanx
I use meguiars (?) deep crystal polish, bug and grime wash (it's dads), sponge, chamosis, armoural tyre foam and some plastic/vinyl wipes for the interior and black bits of the car.

I have next to no idea how to bring out the best in Ink Blue, and whether it's best to invest in an orbital polisher.
Urban... ive done a fair bit of research on ow to make the car look good (esp black ones).

Basically its all to do with the prep work.
Waxes really do not add to the look of a car but protect the car (but some waxes might hide swirling as they have like fillers in them... but these will wear away to show the swirls again).

Clar barring to make the paint free of all contaminents.
A decent paint cleaner / polish to renew that paint.
Then simply a wax.... there are two types out there... you'd want more of the synthetic stuff if your car is a daily driver. The wax will last a few months instead of a few weeks.

A Random Orbital Buffer.... not reeaaaally needed in my eyes. It will produce better results.... and also saves your body a hammering from doing all the work. But the right product choice and the extra time spent can produce really good results.
Having said that... I think the RO is worth it just with the time you save with polishing... more defects can be removed.
Annnnd you really catn wax with the RO.... its more so for the poilishing stages.

Hope that is helpful.

I can put you on to a detailing community if you like.

Cheers
Old 16-10-2006, 10:37 AM   #14
Marshy79

Prime Example of what I am talking about here:

http://www.finalinspection.com.au/fo...read.php?t=419

This car has only had the first process of the clay bar done.
Normally you would do a poilsh / paint cleaner process....
Then protect the paint with the wax.