Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-05-2008, 01:45 AM   #1
sanjay

Default Steering vibration and stupid interior light

hey guys

noticed as i was driving at speeds above 80kph (doesnt happen often due to the nature of my driving and where i need to go) that i was getting some subtle but noticeable vibration in my steering.

its perfect at 60kph and under, as if it were a new car.

ive never driven another AU before so dont know if this is to be expected...in my bluebird for instance, there would always be some steering wheel vibration above 80kph but i never really gave it much thought as it was just a $2000 runabout.

its got four brand new tyres all round, last alignment and wheel balancing was 1000km ago, only thing im thinking it could be is the shock absorbers, but ive been quoted $834 for monroe shocks supplied and fitted front and rear from my mechanic, which is more money than i want to spend on this car, well, ever, because i am thinking about an AU2 XR8 when i get my full licence at the end of the year. already had to spend $130 on handbrake shoes because the left one was worn to nothing (causing really bad squealing on LHS only after they adjusted it 3 times). sick of spending money on this thing...

...also, my interior centre dome light wont come on when i open the door unless i give it a fair whack from the back...any cheap and easy solutions to this? i cant even see how the whole light fitting would come out of the ceiling (apart from the clear cover of course).

Old 05-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

just because the tyres/wheel alignment is recent doesnt mean its good or right

also

get a new globe, see if that fixes it.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #3
sanjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
just because the tyres/wheel alignment is recent doesnt mean its good or right

also

get a new globe, see if that fixes it.
new globe was installed a month ago.

mmm who in adelaide to go to for a good alignment then? :p

was driving at 90kph on tapleys hill road today and there was almost no vibration either. depends alot on the road surface i guess.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:14 PM   #4
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

normally a shake at those speeds indicates wheels out of balance, a shake at that speed when braking normally means warped rotors...but as you said, it may have been the road surface causing it.
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 09:37 PM   #5
sanjay

no shaking when braking, new rear rotors were installed barely 1000km ago too with new bendix pads all around

ive always been told that bob jane are the few chains that actually do wheel alignments properly. i gotta say they fixed the rather bad pull-to-the-left that the car had when i first bought it good and proper with a bronze wheel balance and alignment
Old 05-05-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay
hey guys

noticed as i was driving at speeds above 80kph (doesnt happen often due to the nature of my driving and where i need to go) that i was getting some subtle but noticeable vibration in my steering.

its perfect at 60kph and under, as if it were a new car.
Does this happen when the tyres are warm or just first thing on cold tyres?
Old 05-05-2008, 10:21 PM   #7
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

i had an EL with the same problem, hardly any k's on it, did a million good wheel alignments on it, then i pushed down on the front of the car one day......mmmmm, jelly suspension hahaha. but i didnt stop there. i came to the conclusion the poor thing was in an accident and wasnt properly fixed up, the front suspension was ruined :(
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 10:24 PM   #8
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

as for the interior light, the switch that activates it from the door may be the issue, or the wiring connected to it
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #9
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wheel balance could still be an issue. the last alignment i had done at bob jane, will be the last lol...i had to take it back twice, first time the car still pulled left, second time steering wheel was way off centre to the right, now it's off centre to the left but i haven't bothered taking it back, it still slightly pulls left too, and needs another balance, but i have done prob only 6000 km or so on it....although in their sort of defence i'm pretty sure the car has had a hit to the front left which wouldn't help...anyway...

as for the balance, it depends how well their machine is calibrated. if it's not calibrated properly, or is out, it won't balance properly
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2008, 01:13 AM   #10
sanjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Does this happen when the tyres are warm or just first thing on cold tyres?
god i dont think i ever drive my car for long enough periods to get the tyres warm. i think ive been on a trip that took longer than half an hour once :p
Old 07-05-2008, 10:29 AM   #11
aye you
The Origional, The Best

Sanjay, New doesn't always = fixed ;)

i'm gonna go call the wheel alignment as your problem
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #12
sanjay

yeah but im betting i cant get bob jane to redo my wheel alignment for free like i could get my mechanic to set my handbrake three times till he got it right :p
Old 08-05-2008, 12:56 PM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay
god i dont think i ever drive my car for long enough periods to get the tyres warm. i think ive been on a trip that took longer than half an hour once :p
The reason I asked if they got warm was my new Yokohama's (not el-cheapo ones) gave a very slight vibration untill warm. I put this down to slight flatspotting from sitting overnight during cold weather.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #14
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I got mine re-done for free after there was still vibration after a rotation, balance and four wheel alignment. It turned out that one of the wheels had balance "out by a few grams" (whatever that meant) and they corrected it and it is all good again.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #15
sanjay

i'll see what they say seeing as i only got two new tyres from the mob last week.