Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
zdcol71
zdcol71

Default Car convoy shot at in Qld.

Article in the Courier Mail this morning.
"Police are hunting a gunman who terrorised a convoy of car enthusiasts, opening fire on them as they travellled down a quiet hiterland road at the weekend"
The accompanying picture is of one victim inspecting the bullet hole penetration in his VS commodore (shouldn't have, but had a chuckle to myself thinking of all those stupid bullet hole stickers you see you see)
Terrifying for those involved, no doubt.
It will be interesting to see what comes out of this following further investigation.
On another note, a horrific weekend on the roads across the country with 15 people losing their lives. Wonder is there any correlation to the huge weekend in sport we have had. (AFL, NRL, Commonwealth games,Spring carnival)

Old 04-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Would be interesting to know the details of the preceding 30mins or so before the spray of bullets.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That part of the world is not short of nutters.

There seems to always be a background banjo playing when you wander through.

But all stories have at least two sides, I wonder just how "random" it actually was.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
That part of the world is not short of nutters.

There seems to always be a background banjo playing when you wander through.

But all stories have at least two sides, I wonder just how "random" it actually was.
Nothing yet to suggest it was random, or otherwise.
But you may be correct ,it is not overly stretching the imagination to picture a black hooded, crazed gunman, wandering the hinterlands of Caboolture.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I've got friends who live in Caboolture, purely for the convenience of work might I add. I was talking to them via facebook a couple of months back and they had to call the police because someone was being beaten up in the garage below their apartment.

The next week, someone was climbing onto their balcony and using their furniture to access the apartments above them. When they questioned the tenants, a shower of bottles, rubbish and other items covered their deck the next morning. '

Did I mention the gangs? I actually was fearful going through the local McDonalds drive, as the carpark appears to be a meeting point.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
zdcol71
zdcol71

This wasn't meant as a beat up on Caboolture.(even though the hinterlands around there have been mentioned)
Old 04-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
irlewy86
Meep Meep

As a proud Caboolturtarian... "Youse can all go and get stuffed, aye"
Old 04-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

I'm not from the area, but was driving through the hinterlands, just out of Caboolture around June. I do recall a F100 being driven, at speed on the opposite side of the road, being hotly pursued by a beat up NA Fairlane.

I kind of laughed at the time, as I thought I was in an episode of the Dukes of Hazzard. Lucky I didn't give them the bird.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Oh please... Something happens in Elimbah and now we start on Caboolture ( 10 Km away). Let's have a look at the number of bogans per square metre at Aspley McDonalds or the number of nutters hanging around in the Valley.

You nominate a suburb or town and I'll find some mud to throw.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Oh please... Something happens in Elimbah and now we start on Caboolture ( 10 Km away). Let's have a look at the number of bogans per square metre at Aspley McDonalds or the number of nutters hanging around in the Valley.

You nominate a suburb or town and I'll find some mud to throw.
Refer my previous post
Old 04-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #11
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Fair point, would like to know what the lead up this was though, mods feel free to remove my previous post, was a bit of a knee jerk reaction on my part. Apologies.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #12
Turboconvert

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1225933544210

There you go, there is the link. Assuming the victum and his friends were doing something of a suss nature, there are better ways of dealing with them then rocking up in a hoody and taking a few pot shots (assuming that was the intent there). For example call the police, afterall, we pay our taxes, pay a lot of rego here in qld etc etc.

Bf xr6 turbo sedan, 6 SP auto, Leather/suede interior
Turboconvert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #13
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uteaddict

Twin View road =
Old 04-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #14
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

I dont care if they were doing skids or going for a 'random' drive, WHO shoots at someone? sorry but if anyone supports another moron taking pot shots at people driving past needs their head read.

regardless of what the P plate muppits were or wernt doing before the shot was fired the reaction of some mindless redneck is far far worse.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #15
FORD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
I dont care if they were doing skids or going for a 'random' drive, WHO shoots at someone? sorry but if anyone supports another moron taking pot shots at people driving past needs their head read.

regardless of what the P plate muppits were or wernt doing before the shot was fired the reaction of some mindless redneck is far far worse.
Hear hear
FORD5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #16
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Double post

Last edited by geckoGT; 04-10-2010 at 04:31 PM.
geckoGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #17
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I think you will find there will not be a single person that will "support" this action, no matter what the preceding events were.

Personally I find this disgusting, where do we end up next if this culprit gets away with it. This time no one was injured but next time might be different.

It is not the first time that this sort of thing has happened in QLD, one of my paramedic friends (who later took his own life, RIP), was driving back from a holiday with his family when someone took a shot at his car, hitting him in the neck.

Actions like this are not always provoked, sometimes the victims are innocent and there is no reason for it.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #18
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Back in NZ when my father was growing up there was an old guy who used to sit atop a hill and fire down at cars on the road bordering his property. No reason for it, just that he could, and was promptly dealt with by police who remove the rifle from his possession.

It's the first instance I've ever heard it happening over here. There was a case ages ago where that lady up north coped a shotgun to the kneecap (from memory) but that wasn't a "random" shooting.

Edit: Thank you for the link
Old 04-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I think you will find there will not be a single person that will "support" this action, no matter what the preceding events were.

Personally I find this disgusting, where do we end up next if this culprit gets away with it. This time no one was injured but next time might be different.

It is not the first time that this sort of thing has happened in QLD, one of my paramedic friends (who later took his own life, RIP), was driving back from a holiday with his family when someone took a shot at his car, hitting him in the neck.

Actions like this are not always provoked, sometimes the victims are innocent and there is no reason for it.
So you reckon there are no "gun loonies" on AFF?

Are you sure?
Old 04-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #20
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
So you reckon there are no "gun loonies" on AFF?

Are you sure?

I am tipping not too many would condone shooting at others, if they do, well what do I say?

I will leave my opinion out of it as it is not likely to end well for the thread.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #21
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I am tipping not too many would condone shooting at others, if they do, well what do I say?

I will leave my opinion out of it as it is not likely to end well for the thread.
Bugger.....
Old 04-10-2010, 08:04 PM   #22
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

As a competition shooter, I find this behavior disturbing. It's the actions of these few that tarnish what I hold a licence for, into a dangerous weapon. Much as the same as the "enthusiast & hoon" argument.

While I have no evidence, I can lay it 10 to 1 it was not a licenced shooter, or licenced firearm. It would be most probably bought on the black market, or a stolen firearm. A firearm licence is hard enough to get ahold of now, let alone keep. Its these idiots that put my sport into jeopardy. Why on earth shoot at a car? I guess its the same mentality as those who through rocks at cars from over passes.... Sickening behavior.

I wonder what would happen if those same people had to face the results of their actions? Either by seeing that they have killed a motorist, or ALMOST killed a motorist. I think the latter might be interesting.....

EDIT: That hole looks a little bigger than what damage would be caused by a .22. However I've never shot directly at metal before.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #23
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Bugger.....
Stop trying to bait me

The unfortunate thing, after seeing the area on the news and the residents talking about "hoons making heaps of noise and doing doughnuts", it was probably a mature person with a licensed firearm out to teach the "hoons" a lesson. I have been to standby at sieges in Brisbane in similar circumstances and each time it was a licensed firearm. Even licensed firearm owners do stupid things in heated moments.

I do not condone it at all, if you don't like the behaviour of a large group of motorists, call the cops and let them sort it out.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #24
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

its that sort of behavior that gets guns banned and stops those of us who do the right thing from owning weapons.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:27 PM   #25
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
*snip*
Did I mention the gangs? I actually was fearful going through the local McDonalds drive, as the carpark appears to be a meeting point.
While not limited to McDonalds, too many McDonalds across Aus are (or have been) meeting points for unsavoury hoons and loons. Its the nature of the beast, particularly after the witching hour.

I didn't renew my firearms licence, too many nutters out there these days.

One twit that happens to be on AFF took a shot at something while standing behind me. His intended target dropped to the ground, so did he when I clouted him.
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #26
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

What I'm saying is, that I & my family, (who EVERYONE of us shoots from 72yr old dad, to 14yr old Shiniel), & the guys I shoot with (some are both QPS & AFP officers), wouldn't risk our licences.

The thousand & thousands of dollars we've poured into our guns, (working them so they are slicker for comps), they gear that goes with it, (reloading presses, cleaning tools, bullet castors) the security, (Dedicated "Gun Rooms", safes, "Secured Rooms" to hold a collectors licence, back to base security monitoring), the licence, club, & association costs, hours & hours of practice, time & money to travel to & compete in competitions, the silverware won, is too much hard work to just let go in a time of emotion. I may be stereo-typing here but I think those call-outs you've attended wouldn't be for a serious shooter..... But people do snap, day in, day out.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #27
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast II
What I'm saying is, that I & my family, (who EVERYONE of us shoots from 72yr old dad, to 14yr old Shiniel), & the guys I shoot with (some are both QPS & AFP officers), wouldn't risk our licences.

The thousand & thousands of dollars we've poured into our guns, (working them so they are slicker for comps), they gear that goes with it, (reloading presses, cleaning tools, bullet castors) the security, (Dedicated "Gun Rooms", safes, "Secured Rooms" to hold a collectors licence, back to base security monitoring), the licence, club, & association costs, hours & hours of practice, time & money to travel to & compete in competitions, the silverware won, is too much hard work to just let go in a time of emotion. I may be stereo-typing here but I think those call-outs you've attended wouldn't be for a serious shooter..... But people do snap, day in, day out.

I never said "serious shooter" or competition shooter, I just said licensed firearm owner, there is a massive difference and the vast majority of firearm license holders are not serious shooters.

Only 2 weeks ago a resident that lives near our station and calls us regularly had his licensed shotgun removed from his possession due to making threats to police and ambulance officers.

Not all licensed firearm owners are responsible just as not all licensed drivers are responsible.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #28
zdcol71
zdcol71

To paraphrase a previous response, whats the diferrence between a competitive shooter and a gun loony?
Old 04-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #29
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
To paraphrase a previous response, whats the diferrence between a competitive shooter and a gun loony?
Simple, the use they put their firearm to at the time. Each is potentially interchangeable at any time.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #30
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Simple, the use they put their firearm to at the time. Each is potentially interchangeable at any time.
Exactly!!