Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Exhaust just went, time to spend some $$

My exhaust went today so I can finally get a new one

Going on the advice of God (better know as GK) I am looking at a Redback 2.5 with mandrel bent. A rear resonator, which means no highway drone (according to GK).

Not looking for a 'fast' system (still thinking about headers etc and I am running a dual fuel system).

Can anyone suugest a good place in Sydney not to far away from Castlehill? Need to do A.S.A.P. I know one of sponsors are Sureflo Exhaust but they are a bit away from me.

UK

How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

hey mate i have a Redback 2.5 with mandrel bent. A rear resonator on my dual fuel S1 AU and its Realy good i recomend it
Old 25-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Charleston exhaust in blacktown.Bruce knows his exhausts.

9621 5595
Old 25-10-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have a 2 and half inch stainless exhuast system no res, one small mufflerm extractors and a high flow cat, cost me 400 bucks fitted

very loud and mean sucker

although no one on here like loud for some reason,

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
i have a 2 and half inch stainless exhuast system no res, one small mufflerm extractors and a high flow cat, cost me 400 bucks fitted

very loud and mean sucker

although no one on here like loud for some reason,
Note>Noise

Had a Redback 2.5 on my old EL....twice. Best sounding system for an I6 IMO.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
Uncle_Ken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0

9621 5595
How much yuo rekon Mont?

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 25-10-2009, 10:29 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Wink

Hey Ken,

How many kays has the car done? It may be time for a new cat as well?

You don't need a hi flow item as the factory cats flow fine unless you're doing some serious engine work, which I suspect you're not.

On another matter, the information you credit to me was obtianed many years ago from JC. LOL! It's true that the combo has worked very well on my AUs, but the information wasn't initially mine. That's what happens when you spend time with JC, you can't help but learn things.

I suspect his information may have also been passed on by others over the years. That's the best part of this forum, guys keen to help others out, and pass on valuable info.

All the best with the new system.

Shalom,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 10:34 PM   #8
Uncle_Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Hey Ken,

How many kays has the car done? It may be time for a new cat as well?

You don't need a hi flow item as the factory cats flow fine unless you're doing some serious engine work, which I suspect you're not.

On another matter, the information you credit to me was obtianed many years ago from JC. LOL! That's what happens when you spend time with JC, you can't help but learn things.

Shalom,

GK
90,000 ks GK. You are correct re I not looking for speed. Would like better fuel consumption. What would you get if you where me?

Point taken about JC but given he has those initals God seems to fit you well LOL
UK
Old 25-10-2009, 10:50 PM   #9
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Castle Hill Exhaust (just down the road from Power Ford) should be able to sort you out, heard nothing but good things.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
90,000 ks GK. You are correct re I not looking for speed. Would like better fuel consumption. What would you get if you where me?
UK
I would go the Redback mandrel 2.5 with rear resonator as you've planned. I reckon your cat will be fine at only 90,000 kays, but change your O2 sensor if it hasn't been done yet.

Also, I'd go some Pacemaker extractors if you haven't already got them! : They'll give you a bit extra efficiency.

Quote:
Point taken about JC but given he has those initals God seems to fit you well LOL
Classic! JC has mentioned that once before actually! When I did my suspension work on the sR and posted up the "How To" I thanked "God and JC". His comment was "With God and JC, how could you go wrong!" LOL!

All the best with it.

GK (AKA George) LOL!

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 26-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #11
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Dont know ken- give him a ring, i listed the phone number.
Old 26-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #12
Uncle_Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
I would go the Redback mandrel 2.5 with rear resonator as you've planned. I reckon your cat will be fine at only 90,000 kays, but change your O2 sensor if it hasn't been done yet.

Also, I'd go some Pacemaker extractors if you haven't already got them! : They'll give you a bit extra efficiency.

GK (AKA George) LOL!
Have changes the O2 sensor last year.
I don't have any Pacemaker extractors yet GK. Send me a PM. Wont do them yet

UK (Disciple)
Old 26-10-2009, 01:15 PM   #13
Uncle_Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride
Castle Hill Exhaust (just down the road from Power Ford) should be able to sort you out, heard nothing but good things.
Thanks for the info.
Uk
Old 26-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #14
HLC
Audi S3

i was just bumming around at carline places til i ran into one, and it turned out i knew the owner (forgot he owned it haha)

we put a lukey 2.5" mandrel bend system on my car with 1 small muffler, and a mercury resonator on the rear section. sounds mint imo. best note - better than redback.

although the redback system on my mates BA sounds pretty mad.
Old 26-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #15
Uncle_Ken

How much did it send you back Henri?

Uk
Old 26-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #16
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

imho if you are going for economy rather than speed, I'd replace the factory 2 1/4" mufflers with free flowing items... Remove alot of the restriction without messing around with the scavenging too much.

You won't gain sfa in economy going to the larger diameter pipe.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #17
Uncle_Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
imho if you are going for economy rather than speed, I'd replace the factory 2 1/4" mufflers with free flowing items... Remove alot of the restriction without messing around with the scavenging too much.

You won't gain sfa in economy going to the larger diameter pipe.
Much more interested in economy than speed.

UK
Old 26-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #18
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0

9621 5595
I strongly second that. Bruce is one smart cooky, he did the masterpiece on my yoot. Hand made step back headers, blah blah blah.....
Old 26-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #19
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
How much yuo rekon Mont?

UK
He usually charges me around the $450 mark for a cat back 2.5" sports system with resonator on a 6 pack, but he also looks after me very well. It might be a frag more, mention my name (Rick) and he may charge you double!
Seriously though mention my name and all should be good.
Old 26-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #20
Uncle_Ken

Thanks for the info Sox.

Getting lots of options. If it evere stops raining I'll take a pic of the dead exhaust.

UK
Old 27-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #21
Uncle_Ken

So far two phone quotes $450 lukey 2.5" mandrel bend system and $400 Redback mandrel 2.5 with rear resonator

UK
Old 27-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #22
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

geez thats a bit for them i dident pay that much for my Redback mandrel 2.5 with rear resonator i payed $260 for it and Fitted and had my tip put on
Old 27-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #23
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh they are pretty expensive quotes
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #24
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i payed 280 for my stainless exhuast

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
Old 27-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #25
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Ken - don't worry about what others have paid; your only concern should be whether or not you are getting a mandrel bent (most are press bent at the lower price range, and most wouldn't know the difference), and whether you want to fit it yourself or not and if you are happy with the price. $400 fitted is not too bad at all - the redback systems with centre muffler and rear resonator (no tip) retail for around $350, so $50 to fit is cheapish.

Fitting would take about an hour, and involves 2 flange bolts at the cat, and 3 or 4 rubber mounts, plus swap over of one of the mounting arms (you'll know what i mean when you pull the old one out). You may need an angle grinder to cut the rear pipe off just before the diff, or you may just need to undo a muffler clamp and bang the 2 sections apart with a mallet.

Fitting is easy - lie engine (front) end of the piping on the floor in rogh position under car. Feed rear section over the diff from the back, and use 1 or 2 rubber mounts to hold rear section in place. Then coat front of rear section pipe with a bit of muffler putty, and slide rear section into front section pipe and secure lossely with muffler clamp. Then bolt front section to cat flange and you're done. Recheck and tighten all joins, bolts and clamps and fit all rubber mounting thingys.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2009, 08:37 PM   #26
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Ken - don't worry about what others have paid; your only concern should be whether or not you are getting a mandrel bent (most are press bent at the lower price range, and most wouldn't know the difference), and whether you want to fit it yourself or not and if you are happy with the price. $400 fitted is not too bad at all - the redback systems with centre muffler and rear resonator (no tip) retail for around $350, so $50 to fit is cheapish..
Good advice indeed!

Get it fitted though. You have a recourse then if the fitment isn't correct and it's a drive in drive out thing! JC's just too addicted to doing EVERYTHING himself, albeit with a bit of usual help from RAGTOP or ZVONKO! LOL! Heck sometimes I'm even in on his escapades, er mods. He's often also involved in mine!

It's a darn good thing Canberra is the distance it is from Melbourne. I'd be in the doghouse with the Mrs if JC lived within an hour from me! LOL!

Whatever fitment option you choose, you'll do well I'm sure.

All the best with it.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 27-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #27
Uncle_Ken

Thanks JC GK.
I have sent an email to Sureflo Exhaust site sponsor to see what figures they come up with. Guys should I go stainless steel?

UK
Old 27-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #28
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
It's a darn good thing Canberra is the distance it is from Melbourne.
Should have painted them rims yellow
:
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #29
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

stainless will last longer, so its really upto you, like i said i payed 280, for a stainless system, fitted, really good price

Old 27-10-2009, 09:50 PM   #30
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Thanks JC GK.
I have sent an email to Sureflo Exhaust site sponsor to see what figures they come up with. Guys should I go stainless steel?

UK
Mild steel should last 5 years, stainless around 10 on a petrol car. On an LPG car, knock at least a year or 2 off each. $280 for a stainless price is not realistic, and I have my doubts it's even been done (sorry frd906 - no proof, no belief) - stainless is usually around 50 to 100% dearer than mild steel. So how long do you want to keep the car? I'd go (and have just gone) mild steel - not redback, but a nice mandrel 2.5" system nevertheless and I saved myself a few hunge doing it myself compared to local Canberra exhaust shop prices.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post