Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
V8Virgin

Default Ext/Int Protection Package - Is It Worth It?

I am about to take delivery of a new FPV GS. The local dealer is pushing a product called FUSION - Ultimate Vehicle Protection. They handle it in-house, it does not go out to a third party.

It is an exterior and interior package with a lifetime warranty, no annual inspections.

Has anyone used this product ?? or similar product
Are they worth the money ??

Thanks
Gary

V8Virgin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #2
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wash and wax your car regularly and use Scotchguard for your interior, or a leather protector if you have leather seats.
Save yourself the money on these types of things.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Yeah do it yourself, don't let them take your money. There is a very satisfying aspect of car ownership that is the Saturday morning wash and detail. A hot coffee followed by a cold Gatorade with your best car care products and the hot morning sun with your pride and joy in the driveway expecting a nice clean, it's guaranteed to make your day good.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Yeah do it yourself, don't let them take your money. There is a very satisfying aspect of car ownership that is the Saturday morning wash and detail. A hot coffee followed by a cold Gatorade with your best car care products and the hot morning sun with your pride and joy in the driveway expecting a nice clean, it's guaranteed to make your day good.
You been stalking me on a Saturday morning?

If you want paint protection, by a decent 2 step product and do it yourself. Much cheaper!
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 11:17 PM   #5
oranpark addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaker
I am about to take delivery of a new FPV GS. The local dealer is pushing a product called FUSION - Ultimate Vehicle Protection. They handle it in-house, it does not go out to a third party.

It is an exterior and interior package with a lifetime warranty, no annual inspections.

Has anyone used this product ?? or similar product
Are they worth the money ??

Thanks
Gary
My parents bought an 09' Accord Euro from Macarthur motor group or whatever they are called these days with the 'fusion' pack and we wouldn't again. Basically, you can do everything else better and cheaper. So a big NO.
oranpark addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 11:24 PM   #6
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote mk3
You been stalking me on a Saturday morning?

If you want paint protection, by a decent 2 step product and do it yourself. Much cheaper!
I used to get up around 8 and drive to the servo, wash and vacuum then polish(that took hours, lots of rubbing in circles), then leather treat, clean the insides, all the plastics, vacuum and shampoo twice more, get a toothpick and put a rag over it and soak it in interior cleaner, then clean the gaps in the plastic...by around 1pm I'd leave.
Servo girls thought I had a complex!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 06:28 AM   #7
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

got offered a protection pack on my au when i brought her 2nd hand from a ford dealer... it's generally a polish ..... when i asked about stains etc inside they generally said that the interior could still stain .... ended up buying a s%^t load of maguires gear instead...
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 06:40 AM   #8
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Biggest con in the industry
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 06:56 AM   #9
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spot on mate.

And don't they get shirty when you decide against it? From my experience its always some young looking stunner who is all over you like a rash, using the same spiel everytime and works on your conscience about protecting your asset, and its a wise investment that will help with resale?........................................... ....please!!!!!
The smiley face and helpful attitude soon vanishes to a cranky hard salesperson with a mouth like a cats bum when you say you'll sort it out yourself, and they just move on to there next target.
Glen 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #10
leighm

My other half works in the motor trade, the product that they use on your car is just a cream. It is a good cream no doubt, but one that you can in fact do at home by yourself or pay a detailer to do it for you for far less money. They charge a phenomenal amount of money at the dealer for what they are trying to flog you....and make a massive profit from it.

Note that the life time warranty will only apply in most cases to the original purchaser, how long does the original purchaser in most cases keep a car for? Lifetime is not really lifetime.
leighm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've heard a lot of these protective treatments can cause rust if they need to drill holes into the sills etc to put the stuff in. not sure if they do that with this particular product tho.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #12
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Avoid like AIDS!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #13
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lifetime warranty against what? That the interior wont crack, fade or split, that the paint will withstand fading pitting etc, especially if you park in an industrial area.

When I took my Mum in to buy her new Mazda 3,a really tall gorgeous bit of gear tried to talk us into it, good sales pitch and made it hard to say no to her like I was knocking back a night out with her.

That was 3 years ago and the car still looks like new with a regular clean and polish.

Just a con, same as window tint, when a 2nd hand car comes in with tint, they scrape it off and then try to sell it to you again at nearly double what you can get it at your local tinter.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Save your coin mate, i got talked into it, after treatment you get a cute little handy pack for subsequent touch ups and thats it... I do my own waxing etc now
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 05:55 PM   #15
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Only if the busty salesgirl promises a quicky in the back seat to prove that the fabric protection does repel stains. :P
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #16
fmc351
let it burn

I hear they have an angel rub unicorn tears over every surface.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #17
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
i've heard a lot of these protective treatments can cause rust if they need to drill holes into the sills etc to put the stuff in. not sure if they do that with this particular product tho.

I am pretty sure most paint protective treatments are just a good polish with additives.
The one dad used to sell, and I use, is a stripper (step 1 - fine cutting, gets rid of previous layers and makes the step two go on and stay on better)
and a teflon based protection (step 2 -polish/treatment.)

After having some sun damage when I got the car and using this paint protection and having the car parked in the sun just about everyday at school.
I can tell you it works. However I would still not pay for someone else to do it.
I have noticed the rubbers getting some sun damage but the paint has not gotten any worse.
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 12:20 AM   #18
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

just out of interest, how much are they charging for these products these days ?

i used to have a business where i sold and applied tint,rust protection, paint + interior protection.
i only delt direct with the car owners. kept out of the dealers .

" i've heard a lot of these protective treatments can cause rust if they need to drill holes into the sills etc to put the stuff in. not sure if they do that with this particular product tho."

with the equipment available today there is no need to drill holes . anyone still drilling holes needs to get out of the jurassic period.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 08:24 AM   #19
V8Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
just out of interest, how much are they charging for these products these days ?

i used to have a business where i sold and applied tint,rust protection, paint + interior protection.
i only delt direct with the car owners. kept out of the dealers .

" i've heard a lot of these protective treatments can cause rust if they need to drill holes into the sills etc to put the stuff in. not sure if they do that with this particular product tho."

with the equipment available today there is no need to drill holes . anyone still drilling holes needs to get out of the jurassic period.

Started at $2300 at local dealer, they ended up coming down to $1700 - tint, exterior and interior protection. Won't be getting there!!

Can get tint, exterior and interior protection from one of the local tinting firms for $990.
V8Virgin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #20
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
I hear they have an angel rub unicorn tears over every surface.
Mixed with ground up Panda and Tibetan Yak milk.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 12:51 AM   #21
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaker
Started at $2300 at local dealer, they ended up coming down to $1700 - tint, exterior and interior protection. Won't be getting there!!

Can get tint, exterior and interior protection from one of the local tinting firms for $990.
i used to charge $995 for tint + paint, fabric, vinyl protection + spay-on type rust proof on a normal sedan.

some dealers were charging $1600 per item using the same products as i used. i would take 2 days to do the job to my liking while they could have it done for a 4 o`clock pick up in one day.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 08:23 AM   #22
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Not worth it. Plus, there's all sorts of stupid rules as to what to wash it with, what not to do etc etc. As said earlier, part of the car ownership experience and love for your ride includes the washing, waxing, detailing, and a cold drink afterward to accompany you while you look at what you have just done. It's a man thing, only EMO's go to the carwash and pay someone to do it for them.

Quote: