Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-06-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
Fordmuscle1965

Default VE- Pay through the nose

See the latest Car-advice series of tests for car running costs has the VE in dead last. Suprises me that people when they buy cars dont look into these costs. Amazing that a brand new latest and greatest bread and butter Dunnydore would be in last place. Shame Holdon Shame.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/2915/200...ership-survey/

Fordmuscle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 09:30 PM   #2
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Link?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 09:40 PM   #3
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seriously, it's $4 bucks a week over a falcon. Thats $208 per year. pfffft. Hardly amazing, and hardly a shame shame shame on holden. What about the poor sucker who buys a 380 and it's worth 20 odd % of the original purchase price in 3 years?

I'd call that shame mitsubishi, shame!
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
Ridin-High

$208 a year WOW massive loss their... can't believe people don't take notice of that over the 1000's lost in depriaction

Ps. Yes i have used the search button mum....
Ridin-High is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #5
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Australia’s two favourite cars (Falcon/Commodore) came out last, while Mitsubishi’s struggling 380 again shined as the cheapest large car to own. Results are as follows:
1. Mitsubishi 380 - $200.44
2. Toyota Aurion - $217.60
3. Ford Falcon - $229.13
4. Holden Commodore - $233.40

But its not exactly fare to compare the 380 to the other 3 as the Mitsu costs nearly $5,000 less, however the Toyota Aurion is only $500-1,000 cheaper than the Commodore & Falcon respectively. Either way, another victory for the struggling Adelaide manufacturer.
Falcon didn't fare too well either, it's less than $5 between the two of them...which is SFA in real world terms...do you really think this would sway a prospective buyer? and do we need to jump up and down about any insignificant win over the VE just because its a Holden??
makes us Falcon people look like fanboys
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 09:54 PM   #6
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin-High
$208 a year WOW massive loss their... can't believe people don't take notice of that over the 1000's lost in depriaction
I think the title of this thread should be "VE pay through the nose, BF pay an insignificant amount less through the nose" seriously who cares. I doubt 4 dollars a week is going to make people all of a sudden jump ship to a BF any more than $29 a week is going to make me trade my falcon in on a 380
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 10:01 PM   #7
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmuscle1965
See the latest Car-advice series of tests for car running costs has the VE in dead last. Suprises me that people when they buy cars dont look into these costs. Amazing that a brand new latest and greatest bread and butter Dunnydore would be in last place. Shame Holdon Shame.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/2915/200...ership-survey/
A whole 0.2% more per week than owning a Falcon. Well gee, I can almost hear the stampede to the nearest Ford dealer now. :
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 10:08 PM   #8
stevz
Banned

This thread is a waste of bandwidth.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 10:08 PM   #9
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
Falcon didn't fare too well either, it's less than $5 between the two of them...which is SFA in real world terms...do you really think this would sway a prospective buyer? and do we need to jump up and down about any insignificant win over the VE just because its a Holden??
makes us Falcon people look like fanboys
but...the VE is an "new" and "improved" you would think that it would be cheaper to run????

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 10:09 PM   #10
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
This thread is a waste of bandwidth.
im gonna haver to agree with you there
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 10:17 PM   #11
jdg
Aussie cars rule!

Quote:
I was gonna buy a VE commodore but I had to cancel the contract cause I realised it was gonna cost me $4 a week more. I mean don't worry that I could afford the 40 odd k for the actual car, I just couldn't afford $4 a week more in running costs.

I bet you any amount of money this thread wouldn't have been started if the results were the other way around. Btw, how much would it be to option a falcon to an equivalent spec to the same commodore. XR6 V SV6...$500 odd for side airbags, another what? $500 for DSC? Some more for 18" wheels...Seriously, grow up dude.

jdg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 10:19 PM   #12
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg
I was gonna buy a VE commodore but I had to cancel the contract cause I realised it was gonna cost me $4 a week more. I mean don't worry that I could afford the 40 odd k for the actual car, I just couldn't afford $4 a week more in running costs.

I bet you any amount of money this thread wouldn't have been started if the results were the other way around. Btw, how much would it be to option a falcon to an equivalent spec to the same commodore. XR6 V SV6...$500 odd for side airbags, another what? $500 for DSC? Some more for 18" wheels...Seriously, grow up dude.
Much like the territory and captiva results, now that is a damn shame.....
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 10:21 PM   #13
Fordmuscle1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk O'lass
but...the VE is an "new" and "improved" you would think that it would be cheaper to run????
Gunna have to agree with you there!
Falcon haven't just spent a billion dollars on a you beaut new design. Falcon platform is over 5 years old in current guise. The bloody territory is only a $1 more in comparison to the new com in running costs. I reckon dunnydore buyers are getting shafted I'd Rather me terri than a omega any day for basically the same running cost! :

P.S. Jase Bite the end of my long one dude!

Last edited by Fordmuscle1965; 04-06-2007 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:31 PM   #14
jdg
Aussie cars rule!

Well the falcon is over five years old but remember i think what $500, 000, 000 was spent on the BA Falcon as opposed to i think it was about $200, 000, 000 on the VY Commodore.

Running costs are only one part of the net expense of owning, operating and insuring a car.

P.s. Ill be right...but keep asking if you really want another guy to do so

Old 04-06-2007, 11:05 PM   #15
Fordmuscle1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg
Well the falcon is over five years old but remember i think what $500, 000, 000 was spent on the BA Falcon as opposed to i think it was about $200, 000, 000 on the VY Commodore.

Running costs are only one part of the net expense of owning, operating and insuring a car.

P.s. Ill be right...but keep asking if you really want another guy to do so
Well dont you think it was money well spent as you bought yourself one of the little gems, you should be pretty happy about having an older car that compares better than favourabley to a flash latest tech. offering from the other side. Seems to me some people buy a car to go from A- B while others have a genuine love affair with them and would defend them till they themselves were dead and beaten.
You must be an A-B man. This being a Ford Forum I'm within my rights to defend my carmaker of choice triumphs and to belittle all other brands. I am not a student I work hard for a living and love all my fords with the same passion New and Old. If Dad throws you some cash and says buy a car son, coarse you will, buy whatever your mate tells you to at the time. and then progress to spend a bit more money changing light globes and things if thats what turns you on( no pun intended). :
Old 04-06-2007, 11:15 PM   #16
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

i'm happpy Mitz 380 came 1st in best Large car ahahahahah :
Ralliart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 11:21 PM   #17
jdg
Aussie cars rule!

Make what ever judgements/generalisations/blanket assumptions about me you like. And for the record a few things - im definitely not an A-B man, I just wanted to get the best car for my money...weather that be a Holden or a Ford. If you compare the Holden offering for around the same money I think most people will agree that Ford has a better product (i.e. 03 luxury models).

I learnt to drive on a VZ SV6, so I believe I can make a direct comparison since ive driven regularly and lived with both. The SV6 was bland and uncomfortable on the inside. Nothing much to separate it from an executive. It could keep up with /quicker than the BA in a strait line though. Where it had absolute superiority was its ride and handling. There was no comparison. Fuel consumption was almost identical as well...give or take. Btw Im just starting out on mods. I havn't owned a car for that long so im still learning. What I have learnt from my "friends who tell me to buy this and that" is to upgrade the sussy and brakes first. (Coming from someone with a stock CL9 Euro beating late model, Aussie V8's around Wakefield).

So what if you’re not a student...I work hard at my studies.

You started a thread, and people are commenting on it

A "Victory for Ford" but who cares about $4/week. That should certainly not be a deciding factor in choosing one of the four makes.

I think that the difference is so minimal that the results could be quite inconsistent. It could have just been a good/bad test car.

Last edited by jdg; 04-06-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:47 PM   #18
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty
Seriously, it's $4 bucks a week over a falcon. Thats $208 per year. pfffft. Hardly amazing, and hardly a shame shame shame on holden. What about the poor sucker who buys a 380 and it's worth 20 odd % of the original purchase price in 3 years?

I'd call that shame mitsubishi, shame!
The 380 has a better resale than a Falcon at the moment!
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 11:50 PM   #19
Fordmuscle1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg
Make what ever judgements/generalisations/blanket assumptions about me you like. And for the record a few things - im definitely not an A-B man, I just wanted to get the best car for my money...weather that be a Holden or a Ford. If you compare the Holden offering for around the same money I think most people will agree that Ford has a better product (i.e. 03 luxury models).

I learnt to drive on a VZ SV6, so I believe I can make a direct comparison since ive driven regularly and lived with both. The SV6 was bland and uncomfortable on the inside. Nothing much to separate it from an executive. It could keep up with /quicker than the BA in a strait line though. Where it had absolute superiority was its ride and handling. There was no comparison. Fuel consumption was almost identical as well...give or take. Btw Im just starting out on mods. I havn't owned a car for that long so im still learning. What I have learnt from my "friends who tell me to buy this and that" is to upgrade the sussy and brakes first. (Coming from someone with a stock CL9 Euro beating late model, Aussie V8's around Wakefield).

So what if you’re not a student...I work hard at my studies.

You started a thread, and people are commenting on it

A "Victory for Ford" but who cares about $4/week. That should certainly not be a deciding factor in choosing one of the four makes.

I think that the difference is so minimal that the results could be quite inconsistent. It could have just been a good/bad test car.
Should of just bought an XR6 with premium package and Leather. This $4 bucks a week obviously means nothing to a single student no ties, but you learn(no pun intended) any money you save when you have a morgage and a few kids is needed if only just for lunch money for one of them. I guess if I to cared that much about it I'd have a Fiesta on LPG. Ford dont win that much at the moment so any win over crapadores I'll start a thread. :

http://editorial.carsales.com.au/car-review/ce7260.aspx
Old 05-06-2007, 01:15 AM   #20
MattyJ

$208 per year? Heck i'm a part time working uni student and that price is still extremely insignificant. I swear you'd have to be one of those people that goes grocery shopping with a calculator...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 01:36 AM   #21
Fordmuscle1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyJ
$208 per year? Heck i'm a part time working uni student and that price is still extremely insignificant. I swear you'd have to be one of those people that goes grocery shopping with a calculator...
So what if I do Whats wrong with that?
Old 05-06-2007, 01:37 AM   #22
sexr6tasy
Banned

I get where fordmuscle is coming from do people really want brand new cars that cost more to run in the end then older cars with all the bullshit fords spouts about saving money ect. there new orion had better be better and cheaper then the ba you'd assume although people will still buy it because apparently nobody cares about 200 bucks a year.
sexr6tasy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 01:52 AM   #23
Fordmuscle1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexr6tasy
I get where fordmuscle is coming from do people really want brand new cars that cost more to run in the end then older cars with all the bullshit fords spouts about saving money ect. there new orion had better be better and cheaper then the ba you'd assume although people will still buy it because apparently nobody cares about 200 bucks a year.
Someone has hit the nail on the head!!! $200 bucks is not the point. Brand new model costing more to run than old model - not quite right. If Fords new car is more to run than old model - end of line for Ford.... :togo: .
Old 05-06-2007, 02:03 AM   #24
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Someone has hit the nail on the head!!! $200 bucks is not the point. Brand new model costing more to run than old model - not quite right. If Fords new car is more to run than old model - end of line for Ford.... :togo: .
Feeling OK? the cost to run takes in deprciation, we all know new cars deprciate the minute you drive out the door, but end of line for ford, not a snowballs in a winter storm the new car coming out by all reports will be an absolute winner, you want to worry about your current ride then because it will drop in price faster than paris hiltons lip when she was sent to jail.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 02:13 AM   #25
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

True--- particualy with fuel consumtion. Almost the sole reason the large car segmant is almost half of what it used to be, even with record sales overall today.

My brother who likes Ford but is not a Ford nut wants to buy a Territory but wants to wait for the diesel for something a bit more economical, rang Ford and while the Ford guy said he wouldnt confirm anything he said that if there were one it would be around by half way through next year and also said dont think we havent had calls on fuel economy, "we have had thousands, and with the next Falcon and Territory along with safety its the biggest area we want to imrove" !!
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 10:24 AM   #26
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralliart
i'm happpy Mitz 380 came 1st in best Large car ahahahahah :
There has to be some distant positive to owning one and the chance of someone seeing you in one, and I guess you found it!
Old 05-06-2007, 10:56 AM   #27
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
There has to be some distant positive to owning one and the chance of someone seeing you in one, and I guess you found it!
one for mates owns one
:
Ralliart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 11:06 AM   #28
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I can almost hear the stampede to the nearest Ford dealer now. :
I have seen those ads on the telly already!
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 12:16 PM   #29
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

"Holy crap, i bought one of biggest cars i could find and the thing costs a fortune to run!!!"

Who would have thought???
Old 05-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #30
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
This $4 bucks a week obviously means nothing to a single student no ties, but you learn (no pun intended) any money you save when you have a morgage and a few kids is needed if only just for lunch money for one of them.
Bingo. If you have kids, and you're serious about providing a real future for them (good edumacation, and perhaps an inheritance of usable size) then $208 saved at the end of a year counts for quite a lot. If that much was also saved with careful petrol purchases (i.e. filling up on Mondays not Fridays), thrifty grocery shopping, getting the most suitable broadband/phone plans, and all the other areas it's possible to save money, you might have an extra $2000 in the bank over 12 months.

That's 3.5% of your entire yearly take-home pay on an $80k salary. A fair bit. Put it into a term deposit, do the same the next year, etc. etc.

People who view $208 as loose change are exactly the sort of targets that the retail industry loves. But remember, once that $208 is gone, it's gone forever...

I think the subject of this topic is a VERY relevant piece of information to any thinking consumer. I am in the market for a new vehicle this year (fourth new vehicle in 5 years for us), and every dollar saved today is worth two tomorrow...
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post