Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
series1
Starter Motor

Default losing oil pressure

ok, AU series 1 with a VCT 6 cyl, it is a problem that has seemed to get worse the more i drive it. now it definately has to be fixed.

oil pressure seems to be good while i am driving but once the car is warm and is on idle (eg-sitting at the lights) the oil pressure drops to a dangerous low where the warning buzzer and light come on-give it a few revs (gently) and the oil pressure comes back up to a safe level.

QUESTION, what the hell is wrong with my engine? it doesnt apperar to be making any abnormal noises-just the standard 190,000km noises.

really i need to know if it is a DIY job or do i need to book it in?

series1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
BOON250

Perhaps you need to plug in aux oil gauge and see what the actual oil p is. What weight oil are you running?

BOON250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
series1
Starter Motor

i have tried heavy and normal weight oils according to advice from "professionals" but i still have the same problem with all of them.

i was really hoping that there was a common problem!
Old 07-01-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

You may need to get it checked with an external guage, or it could be the sender unit.

If it's neither of these it's possibly the oil pump, which unfortunately means big $$$.

But I'd be getting a mechanic to check it with an external guage first.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
TE50 027
Tickford Tough

As has already been said, get the oil pressure checked to make sure it's ok, if it's fine try replacing the sender unit. If it continues to play up, speak to Ford as the series 1 had a problem with an earth wire or something which causes the gauge to drop to zero like you said. Had the same problem with mine.
Sparkling Burgundy T1 TE50 Build #027 - SOLD
TE50 027 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 11:32 PM   #6
series1
Starter Motor

Quote:
As has already been said, get the oil pressure checked to make sure it's ok, if it's fine try replacing the sender unit. If it continues to play up, speak to Ford as the series 1 had a problem with an earth wire or something which causes the gauge to drop to zero like you said. Had the same problem with mine.
just out of curiousity was your gage just dropping off or was it slowing dropping as if it was losing pressure?
Old 08-01-2008, 10:17 AM   #7
TE50 027
Tickford Tough

Would sit at just over half, then whenever I slowed right down or stopped the gauge dropped to zero and the light came on and the alarm went off. Eventually got worse and would do this 2 or 3 times a minute even when cruising down the highway. I had the pressure tested and was fine, so replaced the sender unit which worked for a day or two then started doing it again. Heard about the earth fault so took it to Ford who said there's a technical service bulletin (TSB) for the series 1 which covers this fault. Took half an hour to fix.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:39 PM   #8
F6 R-Spec
formerly PURSUIT-250

series1 , is your engine noisy? lifters? bottom end knocking.
Or is it quiet and smoth?

As others have said get oil pressure cheked by external oil gauge the only way to be 100% sure.

What im getting to is if the engine is noisy you do have an oil pressure problem but if it is not as TE50 027 has sugested it is most probably a gauge problem. cheers mick
F6 R-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #9
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

You could check the Oil filter as well, you using Genuine or some CHEAPIE filter?

I hope for you it IS something simple.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2008, 08:48 PM   #10
series1
Starter Motor

engine noise seems to be ok, maybe a little tappy, i really only notice the tapping noise when i am going up the freeway with the concrete wall next too me for example. under normal driving conditions it appears to be making the same noises as every other xr6.

i really appreciate all of your help, you all have given me some work to do.....cheers
Old 11-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #11
Cobravan
Bitsa

Can anyone elaborate on this oil pressure gauge earth fix.

My S1 xr8 is also doing the oil pressure gauge drop usually when hot at idle, and is a little concerning at times I must say.. But as there are no noises I guess it's ok.

Is it an easy fix, where does this earth need attention??
Old 12-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #12
liontamer2
Starter Motor

Default Oil pressure

Wifes AU 5 ltr. does the same thing no oil pressure at idle put new sender unit in fixed the problem for a few weeks now doing the same thing only 160000 klm. sounds sweet.
liontamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 12:45 PM   #13
TE50 027
Tickford Tough

I spoke to my Ford service department about the problem I had and explained that I had replaced the sender unit which fixed the problem for a couple of days then it returned and continued to get worse. Ford said there's a technical service bulletin (TSB) regarding the S1 gauge (only S1 as they read the pressure while S2/3 will always read 3/4 unless the oil pressure drops significantly, then reads zero). It says that there is an earth wire that needs to be replaced/installed and takes .5hr to fix. In the end cost me $55 for the labour and the 20c wire was free, thanks for the savings Ford! I haven't had a problem with mine since it was done.
Old 13-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #14
ltd2000v8
Starter Motor

My 5 ltr S1 LTD has started doing the same thing but only when idling on really hot days. Interestingly I found if I switched off and restarted the oil pressure showed normal on re-start.
Made me think it is a gauge fault rather than low pressure.
ltd2000v8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post