Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Default Should I change cars or get leather ?

Ok, I know that everybody has their own circumstances, but I'll throw the question out there, as there are some more die-hard Ford fans out there than me with more knowledge and experience.

History
Bought my 02 BA XR6 back in August 2005. It had 3 months new car warranty left on it and I paid $26k for an immaculate ex-telstra company car.
I have leased the car as I do use it for work purposes for 4 years, so the lease runs out in Aug 09. Repayments are very manageable and running coist of this car are great.

Future???
Well, I was thinking that with the new Orion model coming out this year, that I woiuld change into something a little nicer this year. My thoughts were along the lines of a second hand XR6T, F6 or GT. Criteria would be that it would have to have low-ish kays for me to outlay a big wad of cash, leather and I love the mercury colour, even though they do not make it anymore. What would also be nice is the 6speed auto, although this is not essential.

My problem, is that as these prices of the second hand cars that I would buy drop, so will mine. So I'd get very little for mine, possibly just enough to pay out the lease, although these things never work out that way, and then I would still have to spend atleast $35k on something leather. So this is problem number 1.

Problem number 2, is the running costs. As this is gping to be used as a daily driver and I do a few kays mostly in the city, I don't want to have a really high fuel consumption figure.

Problem number 3, I'd like to keep my monthly payment costs down. With a young family, they are getting expensive plus I'll probably have to change the main family car over in the next 18 months also.

So my dilema is do I cop the cost and change my car later this year, or do I spend around $2k now and get what is missing from my car which is the leather. I have found a guy that can do the Ford leather of all seats and door trims for around $2,400. And then just keep the car for at least 18 months and then maybe just pay out the residual. If tax is a problem, then I'll just salary sacrifice a family car for the wife.

Ok, so please burst my bubble, and be the devils advocate, because I'm not sure as to which way to go.......

Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'd get the leather. the first ford of a new series is always a lemon. wait for the orion series 2
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
i'd get the leather. the first ford of a new series is always a lemon. wait for the orion series 2

Sam

I take it you were talking about updating to another B series though weren't you, not an Orion?

Rather than spend money on yours ...I'd sell now and put the 2g towards your XRt, F6 or GT with leather, make sure it has low kms and take out a 4 year lease.

You're right...... as they come down in price so does yours, so no real impact on changeover price so really doesn't matter when you do it.

I honestly don't think leather would add to resale, it's more like a nice to have item to increase its appeal to some. When I bought my recent car, one of the drawcards was the fact that it didn't have leather, as most GT's seem to have it, and I honestly don't like it....but I understand your need for it....kids etc

If you're a family man on a budget the GT will kill you on fuel and insurance costs and I see from your post that fuel economy is a big critereon.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 02:27 PM   #4
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
edit: yeah i misread that line.

get the BF XR6T
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
Sam_Boss260

Yes, if I change cars it will be another B series....

Maybe I go through the exercise of getting my payout figure and heading to a dealer to see what the changeover impact would be, and find a car (a XR6T) with leather. If it doesn't impact too much on the monthly payment, then I save myself the hassle and copst of getting the leather..... right?

Hmmmmm....

Pete, I think that you are right, as much as I would love a GT, it will be too expensive to run....
Old 16-01-2008, 07:51 PM   #6
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_XR6
Yes, if I change cars it will be another B series....

Maybe I go through the exercise of getting my payout figure and heading to a dealer to see what the changeover impact would be, and find a car (a XR6T) with leather. If it doesn't impact too much on the monthly payment, then I save myself the hassle and copst of getting the leather..... right?

Hmmmmm....

Pete, I think that you are right, as much as I would love a GT, it will be too expensive to run....

Insurance and fuel on a T wouldn't be much less than a GT though, so you may as well let rip mate...ha ha
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 09:36 PM   #7
kocho
The Futuriser

If you have the money, get what you like. You only live once.

By the sounds of it though, you basically want leather. Why not just put leather seats in your car?

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 10:47 PM   #8
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

What about a nice BFII Ghia, the resale is worse than the Turbos and FPV's so you should be able to pick one up at a good price. It may not have the go of a turbo, but the interior of the new Ghia really is a cut above the sports models. Also you could upgrade to the 5.4L 3 valve V8. It doesn't have the go of a GT or XR8 but is a more efficient on fuel compared to them.
Old 17-01-2008, 09:22 AM   #9
Sam_Boss260

Well, I think that I am tracking down the leather route for now. As it will be way cheaper just to get leaether seats.

The other point which was discussed last night is that the wife's car (family car) needs an upgrade in the next 18 months. So I don't want to commit and have higher car payments on mine AND have finance payments on hers also.....