Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-04-2005, 10:59 PM   #1
Mutley

Default Fuel predicted to double in price by 2007

The news tonight (6th Apr) announced fuel had hit a record ($58 US I think) and we would be out of fossle fuel in 40 years.

I suppose the only practical short term alternative is gas for existing vehicles.

How does gas effect performance?

What are the best modifications to do to an engine to maintain performance?

What mods are available that don't look ugly? I have an XY that I don't want to end up looking like a bush bashing taxi from the 80's
Mutley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2005, 11:12 PM   #2
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

i find 40 years, very hard to believe to be the end of fossile fuels and is more then likely rubbish info, so im not warried.

anyway we have the technology for other fuels, such as hytrogen, but it simply hasnt got the interest by the giovernments as they simply make too much money out of petrol
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2005, 11:15 PM   #3
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutley
The news tonight (6th Apr) announced fuel had hit a record ($58 US I think) and we would be out of fossle fuel in 40 years.

I suppose the only practical short term alternative is gas for existing vehicles.

What mods are available that don't look ugly? I have an XY that I don't want to end up looking like a bush bashing taxi from the 80's
In a nutshell, gas lowers performance and increases fuel consumption. But its cheaper.

As for you other questions I don't really know what you're trying to say.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:31 PM   #4
Mutley

The 351 V8 conversions I've seen consist of a snorkle mounted on the top of the carburetor and an aircleaner attached which sits near where the heater hoses pass through the fire wall.

Gas conversions on later vehicles seem less visually intrusive. Have new systems been developed which allow older vehicles to retain a close resemblence to original specs.

To clarify what I was asking in addition, with a conversion, should you change the inlet manifold, cam or cam timing and ignition. I suppose I'm looking for some advice on what is the best approach to tackle a conversion.

Finally, the 40 year figure is more fact than fiction.
Mutley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2005, 11:36 PM   #5
Mondie
Firm member

The world is burning through 82 million barrels of oil per day, current production is only 1-2 million per day in excess of that. Not a lot left over, it doesnt take much to trigger fear of shortages. Last year was the first for decades where a new 500 million barrel plus oil field wasnt discovered. China is going through an energy boom that is pushing prices up for oil as well as steel as it grows and improves its standard of living and as a result energy consumption.

l dont know if al agree that petrol will double by 2007 but l can easily see it reach a $1.50/lt. the US dollar weakening has saved us from it being much higher now so if oil were to rise and the little aussie battler drop down to 60c again, who knows :togo:

Time to buy some oil company shares if you havent already.
Mondie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 12:32 AM   #6
Schmaigz
Starter Motor

I believe in 1975 it was said there was 25 more years of fossil fuels left...
Schmaigz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 12:50 AM   #7
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondie
The world is burning through 82 million barrels of oil per day, current production is only 1-2 million per day in excess of that. Not a lot left over, it doesnt take much to trigger fear of shortages. Last year was the first for decades where a new 500 million barrel plus oil field wasnt discovered. China is going through an energy boom that is pushing prices up for oil as well as steel as it grows and improves its standard of living and as a result energy consumption.

l dont know if al agree that petrol will double by 2007 but l can easily see it reach a $1.50/lt. the US dollar weakening has saved us from it being much higher now so if oil were to rise and the little aussie battler drop down to 60c again, who knows :togo:

Time to buy some oil company shares if you havent already.
so basically we should blow up china and we will be right
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 01:31 AM   #8
XDKruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondie
The world is burning through 82 million barrels of oil per day, current production is only 1-2 million per day in excess of that. Not a lot left over, it doesnt take much to trigger fear of shortages. Last year was the first for decades where a new 500 million barrel plus oil field wasnt discovered..

is it 82 million per day or per yr?
or are u meaning to say 500 billion barrel oilfield? cause whats the point of discovering one oil field if it last 5 days mate...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 05:14 AM   #9
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

LOL @ the last 2 posts.

There will always be SOMETHING.
I'm not just saying that out of ignorance but all this shit that is supposed to happen never does, some of it i actually want to see, some I dont.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:20 AM   #10
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People have been saying the oil fields will dry up for years. It's just hype, oil won't dry up for a long time. Remember one of the worlds largest oil resources is sitting under Texas and has been capped for years. Even in the slim chance that the middle east runs out in the next few decades, there is still a shitload a oil in Texas, Alaska, Australia, New Zealand, hell pretty much everywhere.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 07:53 AM   #11
paul7v7
bring it on

how many times was the world supposed to end? i'll believe it when i see it (out of fuel). the rise in oil prices is just greed.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:29 AM   #12
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutley

If you are looking at joining the ranks of us LPG owners, here's the link to learn more http://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=71

It does affect performance but it is an individual thing. Our EA is dual fuel (soon to be straight LPG) and the difference between petrol and LPG is not too noticable IMHO. On petrol she's toe-ier and a bit more responsive, on LPG she's smoother but not quite as responsive. I just allow for the difference is all.

The annoying thing about LPG is that it all depends on where you buy it. It is like petrol, can be mixed by petrol station owners to increase profits... so if you find a station where the fuel you buy makes your car run well, stick to that place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 01:24 PM   #13
XR6BADBOY:P
MissYouBluePrint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
People have been saying the oil fields will dry up for years. It's just hype, oil won't dry up for a long time. Remember one of the worlds largest oil resources is sitting under Texas and has been capped for years. Even in the slim chance that the middle east runs out in the next few decades, there is still a shitload a oil in Texas, Alaska, Australia, New Zealand, hell pretty much everywhere.
Recently I was in Scotland staying at a B@B with a lovely couple, the owner's son was also there and they chatted with regards to Scotland's Oil Supply.

So you can add this to the list, the story went along the lines of, they both were at a pub, the son actually works of Aberdeen on a Rig *unsure if it was Oil, but think so*, anyhow this pub a Oil BP oil rep was there with maps of Scotland and they chatted and basically were told that Scotland is untapped, and has a great load of Oil all around it.

This was surprising news due to the current world problem.

But trust the Scot's to have something up there sleeve for future use.
XR6BADBOY:P is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 05:22 PM   #14
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not getting into simplistics of Oil fields, not all crude is the same - its great that they have found more oil fields, however not all crude can be as successfully refined into petroleum. Australina oilfields, for instance are better as heavier oils. For Aussie oil to be refined into petrol these days, it would cost more than say, crude from Saudi Arabia. It can be done, it just costs more.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 05:47 PM   #15
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

I was just about to make a thread about how much oil people think we got left! It's an interesting topic but as long as we have petrol powered cars until I die i'm happy.

XDKruzer: LMFAO!!
1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Cooler|Sports ryder shocks|Pedders lows|Resprayed|Microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Turbo grind cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 Conversion|Built bottom end|Custom plenum|10.6@125MPH
needfordspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 09:10 PM   #16
Mondie
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDKruzer
is it 82 million per day or per yr?
or are u meaning to say 500 billion barrel oilfield? cause whats the point of discovering one oil field if it last 5 days mate...

l meant 500 million, the world uses a huge amount of oil every day. l cant remember the exact figures but the yanks use something like 30% of it alone.

The reserves are dwindling but at a much slower rate than what is continually predicted because the technology to drill and produce it improves at a rapid pace. The cost of drilling for oil using current technology is mind blowing. The oil being drilled now in many parts of the world such as the Gulf of Mexico in water 2000m deep just couldnt be done only 10-15 years ago.
Mondie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 09:40 PM   #17
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Dam, Oil Sheiks, control the world with oil prices
they have more money than they can spend...
2007 might be a good year for a Focus or Fiesta

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 10:58 PM   #18
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Can't see it happening, not in 2 years.

As for LPG, how can it reduce performance if it has a higher octane rating than servo petrol? The only reason it reduces performance is because of tuning set to run on petrol and gas, not both and because of restrictive mixers in most modern gas conversions.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 11:17 PM   #19
EB-maen
Rise, Toybota!

petrol is the least of peoples worries 'when' oil runs out; what about plastic? maybe there are substitutes for oil when it comes to making plastics but im pretty sure oil is a large part of it

13.156 @ 110kph... down the highway :P

EB-maen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2005, 12:45 AM   #20
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Not getting into simplistics of Oil fields, not all crude is the same - its great that they have found more oil fields, however not all crude can be as successfully refined into petroleum. Australina oilfields, for instance are better as heavier oils. For Aussie oil to be refined into petrol these days, it would cost more than say, crude from Saudi Arabia. It can be done, it just costs more.
Australian oil fields actually have a pretty light crude. Northern South America on the other hand has crude which has the consistency of molten chocolate.

At current aussie production rates, we could supply 80% of our demand of oil, for about 100 years or something like that... But due to world prices, about 80% of our supply gets exported. World prices are also why we pay "a lot" for fuel, even though we're one of the cheapest countries in the world.

In Saudi Arabia, you can fill an F350 up for $4. Shieks leave their cars running for hours with the air con on, just so when they get back in their car it is nice & cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
If the US has a massive reserve under texas, why have they been dicking around with the Israel/Palestine peace agreement for decades? And why did OPEC hold the US to ransom in the 70s? The US *had* reserves in texas, louisiana, missouri, alabama, etc, but today they are small compared to arab, crimean & west african reserves. I'd even go so far to say that the Bass Straight reserves would give Texas a run for its money.

The world's energy reserves are roughly as follows (measured in some magnitude of joules, rather than mass or volume):

Coal 50%
Gas 20%
Uranium 15%
Oil 5%
Renewable 5%

However, our current usage rates are something like this:

Oil 50%
Coal 25%
And I cannot recall the ratios for the other resources.

It's true, we don't have much oil left. I doubt that we only have 40 years' left, however I'd believe that 100ish years would be more accurate. Coal on the other hand, we have shitloads of (200+ years?) Coal can be liquified and gasified into different hydrocarbon forms (at a price, but then again when you have the demand, a higher price becomes "worth it"), and this technology has been around since WWII when the Germans ran out of crude and had to convert coal into oil.

Here's a local example of the amount of Coal we have in the Latrobe Valley. I'm sitting on top of a seam (or many seams) of coal right now, and I'm 30km away from the closest power station.

The Morwell mine has been operational for about 80 years, and is continuing to grow. The first seam of coal was between 120-180 metres thick in the existing mine, and there is a layer of clay several tens of metres thick beneath this. Underneath that clay, there is an *untouched* seam which I think may be thicker again. If it's not thicker, it's better quality, being more "black" than the shitty, watery, low quality brown coal that the upper layer consists of. Our brown coal is about 66% water (by mass) by the way.

I would add some references to this thread to back up my quotes and figures, but it's 12.40am and I've got an assignment to do, and don't really have the time to google them :

So relax people, we're not running out of oil anytime soon. Prices on the other hand may skyrocket, but I think that politics will influence the prices of crude and refined fuel much greater than supply issues for the next couple of decades.

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2005, 12:24 PM   #21
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You really think that there will actually be an energy crisis in the near future?

Last century there were several attempts by various governments to control oil and use this control to enforce their will on others.

The results: Gulf War, WW2, WW1, misc revolts within USSR.

Too many angry people with guns.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2005, 12:44 PM   #22
MadManz

ROFL so tru flappist, but most wars were caused by religion!

What is the best way to shoot up prices without being caught? easy
say u got a shortage, prices go up, share price goes up and even more people have become multi-millionares from our pockets!

I hardly doubt that it will run out by 40 years, and if it was the case, more and more people will switch to little electric cars and Leave all that LovelY petrol for us V8s to cruse around in!

just my 2 cents
Old 08-04-2005, 06:10 PM   #23
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManz
ROFL so tru flappist, but most wars were caused by religion!
Rubbish, name a major war of the 20th century caused by religion.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2005, 06:20 PM   #24
MadManz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Rubbish, name a major war of the 20th century caused by religion.

Most if not all were caused by religion, lets say September 9/11 as well, muslim beliefs didnt exactly go down well with the US, even tho it was terrorism it was still religion! there is WW1 & 2.

like i said it was just my 2 cents i am not asking anyone to preech to me i was stating my opnion now lets not go off the topic
Old 08-04-2005, 06:55 PM   #25
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Most if not all were caused by religion, lets say September 9/11 as well, muslim beliefs didnt exactly go down well with the US, even tho it was terrorism it was still religion! there is WW1 & 2.

like i said it was just my 2 cents i am not asking anyone to preech to me i was stating my opnion now lets not go off the topic
There is a difference between being fought in the name of relgion and what the actual adgenda is, on either side.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:04 PM   #26
MadManz

ok then, like i said lets get back on topic or admins will close the thread
Old 09-04-2005, 10:39 AM   #27
james

The :owners: of the world will have you believe anything if it makes them another 10,000,000,000 dollars.

there is plenty of oil any everything else we need. but if there is no shortage how can people make any money.

blame the govt for high fuel prices. 50cpl in nsw excise plus gst.

look between the lines !!!!!
Old 09-04-2005, 10:39 AM   #28
james

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You really think that there will actually be an energy crisis in the near future?

Last century there were several attempts by various governments to control oil and use this control to enforce their will on others.

The results: Gulf War, WW2, WW1, misc revolts within USSR.

Too many angry people with guns.

exactly
Old 09-04-2005, 10:57 AM   #29
FordFan86
meow

Quote:
there is WW1 & 2.
WWI was due to an assasination of a prince? nothing to do with religion.
WWII was caused by several things, hitler being powermad, wanting to wipe out the jews was only part of his campaign
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2005, 11:28 AM   #30
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Call me a cynic, but....

How do you make more money? Hype the world into thinking oil is a scarce commodity and what happens? Prices go up. Oil is one of those commoditoes that is essential to the modern economy. If most of the worlds oil fields were tapped, there would be an oversupply which would lead to lower prices and less profits.

The holy dollar is at the root of everything in modern society.