Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
TX3VIL

Default First mod for a newby...

Hi all, just curious what performance orientated mod the majority of u started out with on your AU's and the relative costs that were involved. i was thinking to go either a suspension upgrade or an exhaust system.

My suspension would probably be new shocks, SSL's and a camber kit, maybe coilovers if they're cost effective. Dont think i'd touch the swaybars and such straight up. Who has a nice low ride that handles well without scraping and rubbing the tyres every second bump? Maybe u could offer some pointers.

Not sure on the exhaust side as i've always wanted a proper split twin system and now i have a V8 to do it. I want the exhaust to exit both sides of the rear, not side by side as i've seen with most other modern V8 systems. This is only for looks really as i'm aware that my car will never be a quarter mile rocket, just want a tough cruiser.

If i dont go through with 1 or the other, i'll probably spend the money and buy myself a bigger turbo for the tx3 haha.

Anyway, if u guys have any advice on what i should do with my money before i go and do things the wrong way, please share with me your wisdom.

p.s. i'm aware of the search function used by many forums but i am getting too old and lazy to work things out for myself, so... :thebirds:

thanks
adam

TX3VIL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Exhaust and extractors a good start.

Flash tune prob worth a go after that.

How much do you want to spend.

*Check www.aufalcon.com for ideas.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
TaNkY fAiRmOnT

Got any pics of the autual car??? My mate who only just got his Ps the other day, he bought his car at the stat of the year and has made it look awesome only by a few very simple sorts of mods. First thing you need to do is look at wether you want the performance or the look and for my mate, it was all for the looks as being a P plater no performance mods are allowed. He started at the wheels and went up from there. 17" BA XR wheels was the key change that made the car look good as. lowering it makes a big difference also but for the AU1's super lows are the ones that dont seem to look all that low. Exhaust would be probably where you want to go next. jus depends on where you can find the best one. but like loxxr6 said, it all depends on how much your willing to spend. good luck anyways mate.!

cheers' Josh

1998 FORD EL FAIRMONT GHIA
18" BF GT-P wheels, Monroe shocks, leather :
Awesome sound system controlled by response
Pacemakers, 2.5" exhaust, manual, other XR6 goodies
mild camwork. :
TaNkY fAiRmOnT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
TX3VIL

probably looking to spend a couple grand straight up, that's why i was thinking suspension. the suspension needs a little work as it is, replacing bushes and the likes of. i'm not on my p's by the way so i can pretty much do whatever i want to my car within reason.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a55...montGhia-1.jpg

that's the link for a pic of my car.
also, what's peoples general impressions of that bodykit? i've never been a huge fan but it's kinda growing on me now.

loxxr6, that aufalcon.com link doesn't work. got another one?
Old 07-05-2008, 09:49 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3VIL
probably looking to spend a couple grand straight up, that's why i was thinking suspension. the suspension needs a little work as it is, replacing bushes and the likes of. i'm not on my p's by the way so i can pretty much do whatever i want to my car within reason.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a55...montGhia-1.jpg

that's the link for a pic of my car.
also, what's peoples general impressions of that bodykit? i've never been a huge fan but it's kinda growing on me now.

loxxr6, that aufalcon.com link doesn't work. got another one?
A nice base to start with mate. The bodykit is the Series 1 XR kit by the look of it with the front bar being a Fairmont one obviously.

RE Exhaust. Not possible to have twin exits at the back - has to be on the one side as the fuel tank gets in the way, can be done on utes (ive done it) but not sedans.
Your exhaust you have 2 real options - twin 2.5" system or 3" system. Both have their good and bad points and you will always get people who say one is better than the other. On a fairly stock engine I dont think it will make much difference which you go but for sound the twin system usually gets the nod.

You can also look at headers and hiflo cats which opens you up to a lot more options but unless you are after a good performance jump dont worry about these, if you just want a nice cruiser the catback system will do the job.

Suspension - got your choice between coilovers and new springs etc as you suggested. Depends on what your budget is but if I had my time with my AU over again I would put coilovers in (front only as mine's a ute). Get yourself some good Konis or similar and put it in - spend the money as you will be rewarded with great ride quality and you can rebuild the shocks instead of replacing them in the future.

As for first mod, few to think about:-

the catback exhaust as mentioned above (or full system if you're keen)
suspension
new wheels maybe?
basics like plugs, leads, K&N filter etc (good idea anyway)
Old 07-05-2008, 09:53 PM   #6
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep, aufalcon.com.au

as for the exhaust, can't be done twin outlets on an au sedan as the fuel tank sits in the left hand side of the bumper, also if it hasn't got irs, you can only get coil overs for the front end, none available for a live axle...

personally, i'd probably go suspension first as it won't cost as much as an exhaust system and at least it will handle a bit better to start with

^^dammit....beaten to it lol

Last edited by bodes-sh; 07-05-2008 at 10:02 PM.
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2008, 12:45 AM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

If you drive it a lot ... and enjoy country roads and the like.
I'd suggest suspension first.

If I had the choice of a loud car .. or one that handled well ... I'd prefer a quiet vehicle that was fun to drive.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Like most here, it depends on what your looking first from the car.

I for one want to get the suspension right first. I like to cruise the twisties a bit after owning a Subaru, and I miss it and cant push my AU as hard due to the understeer nature.

If your looking to do suspension my suggestion would be the following:

Upgraded shocks to excellent quality short shocks for the front, alternatively as mentioned, go for coilovers for the best of both worlds.
Lowered Springs to what ever height you desire
Camber/Castor kit
Look into heavier duty Sway bar for the front
Make sure you have good quality tires
keep your wheels, they are fine for handling, unless you dont like the look of them

If grunt is what your after:

Full exhaust system
CAI
Larger throttle body
Look into lower diff gears, perhaps a set of 3.7's or 3.9's for better take off
Edit (if they are available for this car)

It all depends on if you want 'show' over 'go' or vice versa.

You could alternatively combine a bit from both worlds.

perhaps a cat back system and a lowering job to start with???

Just a word of warning though, modding is addictive and can make you poor very quickly. :

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
TX3VIL

ok.. i think it's safe to say that my first official modification to my fairmont was to fix my bunged up antenna. took me a while as i did a bit of a frankenstein job using the good bits from 2 seperate units, but it's all back together and seems to work fine now.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #10
TX3VIL

if i was to do the suspension on my car, but later intended on changing my brakes to s2/3 components, would the suspension have any impact on the braking components that need to be changed over or is the suspension from series 1-3 all the same basic design?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:25 AM   #11
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

series 1 had single piston calipers and I think slightly different brake rotors. I think to convert to S2 or S3 brake system, you make need the whole brake caliper assembly and new rotors. I think there is a how-to guide of fitting them on the www.aufalcon.com.au website.

Suspension wise, I dont think you need to change anything else as they should be interchangeable. But an expert on this could clarify.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont