Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-09-2006, 07:20 PM   #1
ssb2005
Scrubber Racing Team

Default South Aussie drivers. that bad???

i only just started driving in the city and the amount of **** drivers and ****s that wont let you change lanes or just carve you up when you are indicating has shocked the **** out of me.

:

trying to change lanes today to get my turnoff ( about 500 m before it) and no **** would let me in (worst was old bag in a merc) they all either just filled in the hole someone else made so i had to use some pretty agressive tactics :jab: (que much honking) but what the hell do they expect its common courtesy to let someone in the lane so they can turnoff.

i have been told by a few interstaters that us south aussies are the worst for this : or is it just a city thing?. anyone got any opinions

end rant

1984 AB GSR Cordia tidy up time. DASH is here!! future track weapon
1973 Yamaha RD 250 project cafe racer
ssb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 07:44 PM   #2
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Leave the swearing out of your posts please, its not needed nor welcomed!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 07:45 PM   #3
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I,ve driven in Sth OZ quite a bit. I dont find you guys any worse than anywhere else in the country. What I did notice though in Sth OZ is the number of drivers that dive in front of you when you are leaving a large gap in front of yourself because you are towing a trailer with another car on it.
I have had my trailer brakes locked up more than once because of this. A few times that it has happened I was so close up the car in fronts clacker I could read the part number on the tails lights.

Last edited by Outbackjack; 27-09-2006 at 07:46 PM. Reason: crappy spelling.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 08:31 PM   #4
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssb2005
i only just started driving in the city and the amount of **** drivers and ****s that wont let you change lanes or just carve you up when you are indicating has shocked the **** out of me.
:
trying to change lanes today to get my turnoff ( about 500 m before it) and no **** would let me in (worst was old bag in a merc) they all either just filled in the hole someone else made so i had to use some pretty agressive tactics :jab: (que much honking) but what the hell do they expect its common courtesy to let someone in the lane so they can turnoff.
i have been told by a few interstaters that us south aussies are the worst for this : or is it just a city thing?. anyone got any opinions
end rant
How many cities have you driven in ? Adelaide is fine, like you say first timer, once you know where your going its all good, and as for others filling the hole ? well if you leave a hole there it will be filled, no time for slow country drivin in a city, you iether are going there or im filling the space.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 08:33 PM   #5
ssb2005
Scrubber Racing Team

i was talking about the gap "i want to get in" to switch lanes and people filling it even while im indicating etc.

i havent driven in other cities i have just heard alot of people have said we are pretty terrible down in the south :p
Old 27-09-2006, 09:04 PM   #6
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where's Sourbastard?

Old 27-09-2006, 09:12 PM   #7
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Where's Sourbastard?
Mate no good calling on SB , he does not drive in the city, as Pres of the XC club here he rides shotgun in Barry V's Pimp mobil. It's a bit like in the bible where the black sea parts, except here the traffic parts when the Pimp Mobil / SB are on the road, and he is bigger than the Pope himself in this town.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 09:37 PM   #8
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

as I have posted before, the city of Adelaide is not bogged down with one way roads etc, plan ahead and get into the appropriate lane early, or take the next turn and double back. realistically it may cost you 30 sec- 60 secs. the small gaps are part of the fun of city driving.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 10:52 PM   #9
Steve
torque is your friend

I can't say I've found SA drivers to be much different to Vic drivers. I have found QLD drivers to be different but in a good way. Whilst in QLD for the Ipswitch round of the V8's I couldn't believe how refreshing it was to see drivers by and large obeying the "keep left" signs. That's something they just don't do down here.
Old 27-09-2006, 10:56 PM   #10
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

:

end rant
Care factor Zero, now build a bridge and get over it.

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 11:54 PM   #11
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

theres a perpetrator right there^^^

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust
After market alpine/soundstream stereo

18" tyhpoons
superlows waiting to go in....
spoilerless
16wantsI6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 02:22 AM   #12
5L
[ 5L ]

cant be that bad only takes me 20 minutes to get to work 30k's away not quite peak hour traffic but still a few car on there road. in peak hours takes roughly 30minutes.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 08:38 AM   #13
MrFlibbles
ill have a beer milkshake

driving back from Qld last weekend, i was towing a trailer and the amount of qld drivers that cut me off or overtook at innapropriate times was amazing, i was glad to get back here to sa where i wasnt cut off once. but then theres the ****er factor in every state!
1969 Isuzu Florian
1976 Chev luv (really its just a rebadged Isuzu!)
1980 Isuzu KB 4x4
MrFlibbles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 09:19 AM   #14
ssb2005
Scrubber Racing Team

must have just been my interstate mates just baggin us cos they could then
Old 28-09-2006, 09:39 AM   #15
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo
as I have posted before, the city of Adelaide is not bogged down with one way roads etc, plan ahead and get into the appropriate lane early, or take the next turn and double back. realistically it may cost you 30 sec- 60 secs. the small gaps are part of the fun of city driving.
Exactly. That's probably why we dont have a culture of letting each other in.

I notice in Sydney and Melbourne, if you wanna change lanes - people will let you. Not here. So it does plan to get into the correct lane ASAP.

But seriously, doesnt get much easier than driving here. 12 minute drive for me from eastern suburbs to Pirie St this morning (norwood parade is the hot tip) and that's before ive even woken up properly. Love this city!!!
Old 28-09-2006, 11:34 AM   #16
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

:

end rant
You are correct. We in Adelaide are not as courteous as our interstate friends when it comes down to lane changing I’m afraid. We begrudgingly let somebody in front of us if at all, me included (although I have made a seriously concerted effort to change my attitude over the last ten years).

If you drive in Sydney and especially Melbourne, the difference in lane change attitude is very noticeable and for the better. It can scare the unweary because the lane change kind of just happens as people have become to expect it as a necessary part of their daily driving duties.

Nobody’s perfect however and I have found that each State also have their bad habit driving anomalies as well.

In Melbourne and for a State that has by far the toughest speed monitoring devices and restrictions known to mankind, people still will travel well above the speed limit on certain roads. For example, on the trip between Sunbury and Tullamarine along the Calder Highway. I regularly have people, pass me at around 120 - 130k/ph which is 20 - 30k/ph over the limit for that zone. They do not seem to be in a hurry nor are they menacing behind the wheel.

I also do some business in Sydney from time to time and I am shocked at how many people I know as associates or friends of associates that drink drive and think nothing of it. Some will drive up to 30 km home after an informal meeting. Is this because of the strong sport/community club culture in Sydney’s Suburbs? In SA Police will randomly test 15 – 20,000 people over a weekend to only find 5 or 10 offenders. (5 – 10 too many)

Perth is a fantastic place to drive with wide open freeways right through the City etc, but impatient weaving particularly during peek hour seems to be noticeable there, especially along the Canning and Leach Highways from Melville to Fremantle or Melville to Apple Cross. Nothing serious just noticeable.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 07:44 PM   #17
Barry_v
rocknrolla

It just a technique you need to learn. indicate and immediatly start to move over to your desired lane, but pause to make sure its safe before actually changing lanes. probably helps that i drive a land barge though.

its a pity SA drivers cant just let people in though.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 07:53 PM   #18
photn
AFF Post NAZI

its city driving dude. NSW is the worst even as a pedestrian its bad. taxis in NSW are BAD!!!! i drive in once and only once. and people where cutting me off left rigth and centre and honking there horns at me cause i was doing the speed limit. there nuts. i prefer public transport in the city. then the only thing you have to worry about is which one to get.!

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 09:05 PM   #19
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pffft, for me Adelaide was a cake walk compared to Melbourne.
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 09:29 PM   #20
ZEDAYE
20 INCH 100 SPOKES

Adelaide drivers amaze me with the poor reaction time to green lights,it's not that hard to be ready to go as the light changes but most people wait until the other car next to them moves! The few times I have been interstate (Vic) I have been amazed at how traffic seems to fly away from the lights on green. Try Adelaide drivers on a m/cycle and you would be amazed at the amount that don't look when changing lanes, just indicate then move over! I've spent a number of years in the past as a courier (m/cycle,car,van) and can say that the standard of driving has dropped to an almost pathetic level in the last ten years.
ZEDAYE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 09:50 PM   #21
WASP
Whipple Induced

Hey, I'm an Adelaide driver and consider myself very considerate. It's just this road rage thing I'm still working on. If everyone else just stopped using MY road, that would help!ing_sm
Old 28-09-2006, 10:39 PM   #22
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Around 6 weeks ago I completed a 10 day road trip from Bris - Syd - Melb - Adel - Bris. Close enough to 5500 kms.

I get to Syd every year or so but it had been 10 years since I'd been to Melb and 25 years since I'd been to Adel.

My impressions of the city's drivers are:-

Syd - rude, aggressive, faster than the speed limit

Melb - polite, considerate, on/slower than the speed limit (actually I was very surprised at the level of courtesy displayed)

Adel - yawn... slooowwww, not really with the program. It's not so much they are rude or inconsiderate... they are not even aware they're sharing the road with others (apologies to the many good Adelaide drivers. It was a Tues mid morning when we were heading out of town to Tanunda. I obviously picked the wrong day and time to attempt to get out of town, lol)

Others can comment on Bris drivers. I think they (we) are also rude and aggressive but maybe I pick the wrong time to jump in the car (that would be anytime...)

The only other noteworthy comment is that laps are still being driven in Dubbo of an evening. It used to be my dream to have a tyre service in a country town. Now I know which town ;)
ronwest is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 10:52 PM   #23
BAFalconXT
Sold...

If you think Adelaidians are slow, try living in Murray Bridge. No dual lane roads, and everyone drives 10km/h below the speed limit, stop at roundabouts(new thing in da bridge, they havent quite worked it out), and they only indicate after they have stopped. Victorians dont seem to realise that the speed limit changes when you get over the boarder, I always pass them on the freeway, and they dont move over when going 100km/h in the right hand lane.
Old 29-09-2006, 12:54 AM   #24
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

today i went to Outlaw Speed shop to get some bits, from my house at Noarlunga and encountered this knob on one of those VW powered trike things. Dude was never happy being in one lane and swapping back and forth like a yo-yo. On my way in, coming up to the ETSA building intersection i decided to chang lanes to an empty one to avoid being behind people that zedaye mentioned. As i've started changing lanes he has screamed up behind me to do tha same and nearly collected thye back of my car! ***** then had the nerve to pull next to me and shake his head at me through my window! WELL.... did i let fly at him. Then he casually rode off and didn't make eye contact with me again.
Keep an eye out for him rego MYTOY-3. You will see him coming dont worry!
Old 29-09-2006, 09:18 AM   #25
BAFalconXT
Sold...

Everyone seems to speed up and not let you in, when you put on your indicator in Adelaide. You just have to push your way in. In the last week, I have had lots of near misses, people cutting me off, not staying in their lanes, and as above. Was stuck behind a bus, a que behind me, so I slow edged out, and a guy from the back gunned it, having to stop next to me, but still managed to go on the wrong side of the road and pass. Luck my and his window was done, and I was able to exclaim, "******* head!" You get used to it, it is a kind of game
Old 29-09-2006, 09:47 AM   #26
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

I think you're all being a bit harsh on us Adelaide drivers....i mean, look at the traffic levels we have to contend with.....

Sometimes, in peak hour, traffic can bank up for metres...............
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 09:47 AM   #27
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAFalconXT
Everyone seems to speed up and not let you in, when you put on your indicator in Adelaide.
Hahahah, yeah that's the one!!! You're right tho - it's just mind games. A lot of people in Adelaide having nothing better to do than get on other people's nerves. Must be something to do with the ageing population.

Tell ya what tho, was in Melbourne the other week and went for a drive with a mate from *other* forums.

He's done a U-turn at a set of traffic lights and i'm thinking "what the ***** are you thinking, man???". And it turns out you're allowed to?!?!?!

WTF? And i thought turning right from the left lane was novel!!!
Old 29-09-2006, 10:08 AM   #28
gozza

I find if your courteous to others you will be favoured with good karma..I am very patient with people and let more then my fair share into gaps....

The trick is using your INDICATOR...I hate people who get to the edge of the lane and start looking to get in.....is you put your indcator on first i'll give you the room you need

I give people plenty ot warning with my indictor and someone will always let you in...I find M1 drivers mostly courteous.......theres always one that don't respect anyone
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 10:10 AM   #29
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarrge2001
I think you're all being a bit harsh on us Adelaide drivers....i mean, look at the traffic levels we have to contend with.....

Sometimes, in peak hour, traffic can bank up for metres...............
Lol.... I agree!
Old 29-09-2006, 10:20 AM   #30
BAFalconXT
Sold...

Or they flash their indicator once, when they are already between lanes. It seems people dont think they need to indicate when they are on the freeway either. I put my indicator on then look for a gap, if no one lets me in I push my way in. If you wait for someone to let you in, in Adelaide, you will be waiting a long time. Like turning left onto a road where there is traffic lights close, no one lets you in, you have to push. When they stop a glare in anger, you give em a wave, "thanks mate" hahahhaa