Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 
Default The Dodge.....

Bought this a few years ago and generally use it on the property to cart wood and other stuff.

Came with some spare glass, door and an old (presumably buggered) spare engine and other bits and pieces.

I have improved the ignition system on it and put a Weber on it, it now starts and runs great. The brake master cylinder was not good so I had it stainless steel sleeved etc.

Is four speed. Have taken it up to 60mph which was quite frightening, lol.

I don't know much about it, the word around here (where it has spent most of its life carting wood) is that it has an engine in it from an amphibious vehicle put in it some time ago. I wouldn't have a clue, can't find an engine number, doesn't even appear to have an oil filter... Some pics. It is an Australian built 1959 Dodge with flathead six.

Old 16-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Default Re: The Dodge.....

How good are bonnet ornaments??

I mean sure - they're going to tear a pedestrian apart if you hit one (mind you - if you get hit by a 2 tonne dodge - i'm tipping you're pretty screwed anyway)

Something that new cars really don't have!!
Old 16-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

What's the ancap safety rating on that. LOL
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

*cough* 440 *cough*
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

On the ANCAP.... I tell you 60mph in this is sheer terror, lol.
As for the bonnet ornament, I couldn't even tell you if it is standard or not. There is also an old penny or something super glued below it that I was not responsible for.
Any nice mild V8 and auto would be cool if you wanted to turn it into a streeter. It has lived its life heading up into the hills around Eildon getting wood etc. and that is probably is how it will stay.
Old 16-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
Turboconvert

These old trucks are always interesting to see. The character of these type of trucks is very unique.

Bf xr6 turbo sedan, 6 SP auto, Leather/suede interior
Turboconvert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
mcnews
Trev

Absolutely filled above the side rails to roof level with wood it still motors up my incredibly steep driveway. I am talking very steep, especially the last 100 metres, unreal how it just motors on.
Old 16-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Big heavy crank means torque.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Cool truck mate !
Thanks for posting.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
79FordEsky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice truck, take a picture of the penny, I am sort of into that stuff side hobby.

My Survivor 1 owner XC Wagon
Check it Out
79FordEsky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #11
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Farm beast man but bloody hell, fixed the brakes upgraded the carby, you spend more time and money on your farm truck than I have and do

Cost of truck $0.00
Transport home $200.00
Amp so I can plug iPhone in $13.99 including post from Hongkong
2 X 2 pin utilux electrical plugs at a swap meet $2.00
12m speaker wire at a swap meet $5.00
Old home hifi speakers $0.00 Har rubbish day
2 X tech screws, a length of 13X3 bend in to shape and 2 hose clamps to secure a header fuel tank to the fire wall as the main tank had rusted out $5.00

Total spend on 51 Chev farm truck $225.99

Specs
Make: Chevrolet
Year: 1951
Model: AD 100
Engine: Blue Flame 6
Trans: 4sp manual crash box
Service Brakes: Nope I have a new master Cylinder the old owner gave me but I havent got arround to fitting it
Park brake: tailshaft drum & band

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)

Last edited by The Yeti; 16-01-2013 at 04:46 PM.
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it's anything like the flathead six I had in a '38 DeSoto sedan, it will have a cartridge type oil filter. Can't remember where exactly, but it will be a canister that you have to undo and put a cartridge inside. I used to buy mine, amazingly enough, from Supercheap and Autobarn...they were still in the parts books.

Another tip...get some extractors made up for it (it will run cooler as well as make more power) and make sure to keep putting an additive in the fuel to keep the carbon down. I used to use that Flashlube stuff and it seemed to work fine.

They're a great motor, and you can still get speed equipment for them from the USA...don;t just drop a V8 in it...anyone can do that...keep the side wacker six and work the old girl!
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #13
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
As for the bonnet ornament, I couldn't even tell you if it is standard or not. .
Yep that’s standard; they first appeared on Dodge trucks in the early 30's. Back on the farm in WA we have a 48' Dodge truck with the same hood jewellery......

Nothing new about the Dodge "Ram" name....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #14
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

nice vehicle. I own the model before, hence the user name. the kew motor was very popular in the wooden power boats, they actually ran the prop off the front of the motor.
Mine has a similar decoration on the bonnet and the round 'ram' disc is very rare.
pm me if you want me to copy some user manuals etc, I have a complete set.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #15
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

needs more springs !!!!!
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #16
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We used to run those Dodge flat 6 motors in our ski boats. Had heaps of torque and pulled 3 in a deep water start. When we blew them you could get a replacement at the wreckers for 5 quid. I was pulling 3 and racing a V8 up the Hawkesbury near Windsor once and keeping level until a loud knocking started. I shut her down, then started her up again and she ticked over with this loud knock, so we limped back to base and when we pulled her down, the crank was busted in half, but the damned thing still went.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #17
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
We used to run those Dodge flat 6 motors in our ski boats. Had heaps of torque and pulled 3 in a deep water start. When we blew them you could get a replacement at the wreckers for 5 quid. I was pulling 3 and racing a V8 up the Hawkesbury near Windsor once and keeping level until a loud knocking started. I shut her down, then started her up again and she ticked over with this loud knock, so we limped back to base and when we pulled her down, the crank was busted in half, but the damned thing still went.
Theres a guy on Ozrodders with one such beast

I wont post too much on it as I dont want to hijack this thread (love an old farm truck ) but if your interested heres the link
http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewt...&hilit=clinker (you'll need to be a member to see it sorry

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post