Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-12-2006, 05:30 PM   #1
Milty
Starter Motor

Thumbs up Old rod need new fuel

Merry Christmas to all you fabulouse Ford people.

I have an older rod an XC pulling excess 300rwkw I think thats the term you young blokes use. Anyway I haven't driven it much in the last few years 120k original.
It was one with the works when it was built.(couldn't find anything else to put on it.

Won't bore you, but the problem is I can't find a fuel mix that it will run on. I just thought one of you blokes that know about these things might help me out. I saw in another post that someone is running on an Avgas mixture, but I don't want to chance anyting that might hurt the old darlin. I would really like to drive it a it more if I can find a fuel mix. Last year it dit 10ks

Anyhow cheers fellows. I don't post much but I love to read what you fellows have to say.

Milty

Milty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2006, 06:26 PM   #2
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

Hi Milty and welcome to the forums.
how high is the comp on this motor? have you given vp race fuels a try. they arent cheap but you know if you can get the motor running well with it and not on any other fuel regardless of carb settings then the motor is probably too high comp for pump fuel.

I take it youve tried the BP and Shell 98ron fuels? have you tried these with an octane boost also they can make a small difference.

im assuming it runs on ULP though yer?

if the comp is too high you may consider de comp plates or doubling up on head gaskets but depending on how much you lower the comp the cam may not suit and it would probably not run so well. depends how your cam is matched with everything else.

do you know what parts were used? capacity? cam manifold carb and head combo? Compression ratio? with these details surely someone will be able to give you a straight forward answer.

My suggestion before anything though is go buy some VP race fuel run a 50 50 mix with BP Ultimate 98ron see if that works. VP race fuels are oxygenated though so you might need to run a leaner mix but ultimately comparing to straight 98ron the well tuned VP race fuel mixture will make more horse

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2006, 09:57 PM   #3
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its a leaded motor..if you can get it use avgas straight(no mix).

If not then use any 98ron unleaded fuel with an octane booster and a upper cylinder lube additive.

That will get you going.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2006, 10:25 PM   #4
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milty
Merry Christmas to all you fabulouse Ford people.

I have an older rod an XC pulling excess 300rwkw I think thats the term you young blokes use. Anyway I haven't driven it much in the last few years 120k original.
It was one with the works when it was built.(couldn't find anything else to put on it.

Won't bore you, but the problem is I can't find a fuel mix that it will run on. I just thought one of you blokes that know about these things might help me out. I saw in another post that someone is running on an Avgas mixture, but I don't want to chance anyting that might hurt the old darlin. I would really like to drive it a it more if I can find a fuel mix. Last year it dit 10ks

Anyhow cheers fellows. I don't post much but I love to read what you fellows have to say.

Milty
Best pump fuel you can buy , then add scotts octane booster ( add the oil conditioner as well) if it still ping then have the dizzy curve altered as the springs will be soft with age , unless you have a mate at the airpost in which case dump avgas in it
I have a very warm jag twin cam and it runs pump gas with Scotts no problems
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2006, 10:57 PM   #5
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can buy a leaded fuel additive at the servos if lead is your issue, if knocking/detonation is your issue due to high compression, use water injection, CAPA has some water injection kits, you may need to adapt it to carbie but once it is setup by a good installer/engine tuner, no more knocking.

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #6
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how about a pic or two? would like to see the old beast
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2006, 11:41 AM   #7
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

What fuel did it run before?? [I assume leaded] Drop timing back a few degrees and as said re graph dissy..Maybe colder plugs ... Water/ ethanol mix injection?
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2006, 11:09 PM   #8
Milty
Starter Motor

Hi people.
Just back from visiting the relos, and checked in. Thanks for all those replies. Will come back with some more info and a couple of pics.
I've tried the the "expensive" pump fuels with octane boost and all that, Thanks Atec77 and thanks Opto but it has water injection.
All you guy' are great.
I've tried most things you all suggested. It doesn't ping it's more that it runs on when it's hot.
Hope you all had a good break and will come back with more info.
and THANKS again.
Milty
Milty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 12:55 AM   #9
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi people.
Just back from visiting the relos, and checked in. Thanks for all those replies. Will come back with some more info and a couple of pics.
I've tried the the "expensive" pump fuels with octane boost and all that, Thanks Atec77 and thanks Opto but it has water injection.
All you guy' are great.
I've tried most things you all suggested. It doesn't ping it's more that it runs on when it's hot.
and THANKS again.
Milty
Describe the pinging > how and when flat or up hill as I think you might have a dizzy curve problem ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 07:27 AM   #10
LTDHO
The one and only

103 octain is available in leaded still. It's very expencive though.

You may have to look and the dizzy curve.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 11:16 AM   #11
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Milty try the new 100 extreme or V racing they call it now,my Xa was at the level of yours with very high comp and it loved it,if you still have problems add 1 bottle of Nulon pro strenght octane booster per tank to the v racing,its the best there is Ive tried them all,if this dosent help there is another problem (get it on a dyno to set the timing and fuel) being that it dosent ping Id say your comp is not that high that you need c14 race fuel etc,these fuels cost like $6-8 per/L so theyd send you broke anyway.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #12
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Hi people.
All you guy' are great.
and THANKS again.
Milty
Hi Milty I use to have an XC that was running a 387 cube Clevo with 12.58:1 Comp and found BP Ultimate with Nulon Octane Booster and knocked the timing back about 5 degrees and it ran very well, i even picked up a couple of horse power. Bj
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 01:01 PM   #13
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
... It doesn't ping it's more that it runs on when it's hot.
Milty
Could be it's carboned up a little and the higher octane fuel flashes when you turn it off. Some vehicles are fitted with a fuel-cut solenoid to prevent run-on. No idea how you'd go with an aftermarket one. Retarding it or leaning it off a bit *might* help.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post