Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
Baldman
Starter Motor

Default Another victim, need some expert advice

Hey guys, proud owner of a Falcon fututra AUII 00 model and another victim here of a leaking power steering oil line.

I've read up alot on the problem and I found the fix for it which I'll get onto but the biggest problem is that the power steering fluid took a leak all over my alternator and it eventually crapped itself. What I'm interested in knowing is can the alternator be taken apart safely so I can have a go at cleaning it out before I lay down the cash for a new one?

I know some alternators have bushes inside that will make putting it back together almost impossible, is that the case with the alternator on the AUII?

Or is there a decent way to get it cleaned out without dismantling it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I dont have much knowledge when it comes to the inner workings of alternators.

Baldman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im 99% sure the AU alternator is a non rebuildable unit
mine STARTED spitting the alternator light on the dash which led me to the steering leak.. so i grabbed some Lectra Clean aerosol spray and gave it HEAPS all over the alternator... havnt had a problem since
Old 28-01-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
Baldman
Starter Motor

oh ok, so you just hit it without dismantiling it? Yeah I got it pretty early too, maybe a day after the light starting coming on, hope I was quick enough.

You used the same unit once you cleaned it from the outside? How covered in oil was your alternator? Mine got a pretty good soaking.
Old 28-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
5LGhiaWgn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
im 99% sure the AU alternator is a non rebuildable unit
mine STARTED spitting the alternator light on the dash which led me to the steering leak.. so i grabbed some Lectra Clean aerosol spray and gave it HEAPS all over the alternator... havnt had a problem since

Nah it can be rebuilt but hardly worth it. I had mine rebuilt under a car yard warranty and it crapped itself 6 months later so i bought a brand new AUII/III which is a better unit one is a mitsubishi unit the other is a bosch one i think cant rmemeber which one is which though. think a brand new one was about $150
5LGhiaWgn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 06:03 PM   #5
Baldman
Starter Motor

Sweet, thanks guys. Gave it a good clean out and I'll take her for a bench test tomorrow to see what the damage is.
Old 28-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i just cleaned mine while my car was parked in the carpark outside my old work
just sprayed the hell out of it with the aerosol from every angle then left it to dry/evaporate..last thing i wanted was to fry it from the liquid

and now its fine
Old 28-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
Baldman
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
yeah i just cleaned mine while my car was parked in the carpark outside my old work
just sprayed the hell out of it with the aerosol from every angle then left it to dry/evaporate..last thing i wanted was to fry it from the liquid

and now its fine
Well silly me wrestled it form the car and did it on a bench . Oh well, I needed to get the power steering leak fixed up or else I'd be going through it all again anyway.
Old 28-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #8
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

If the light came on chances are it has done some damage

Oil (along with dust) runs inside and sticks to the brushes and burns out the commutator, brushes and slip ring

After 8 years I would give it a rebuild anyhow, the bearings would be dry at the least. Brushes last aboiut 200000km

AU had a Visteon alternator, bad unit, nearly (but not) impossible to fix
AU 2 & 3 have a Mitsubishi unit, similar to BA's, very good unit and fairly easy to fix

There are 2 bearings, 2 brushes, and a slip ring which can be replaced as well as the regulator(expensive but)

The average Joe should be able to pull it apart (4 screws) and regrease or replace the bearings. Brushes and slip rings require soldering.

Just for a guide a soaked alternator (cleaned from outside only) in my taxi lasted 3 days (72 hours of driving) before it packed up after an oil bath.

Most mechanics wont rebuild them because it does take a few hours and at labour rates it is easier/cheaper to just bolt another one on.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
Baldman
Starter Motor

Well judging by that if it fails the bench test tomorrow morning I'll just have to spring for a new one.

I knew the oil bath was going to do some damage, just how extensive, I didn't know.

I practically submerged the unit in some lectra clean on a bench, hit it from all angles then hit it with the compressor. Took about an hour until no more dirt/oil came out so I'd think its pretty spotless on the inside.

Bench test will tell anyway I suppose. Again, failing that looks like a brand newie going in.
Old 29-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #10
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well mine was cleaned with just aerosol as stated before christmas 07 so it depends when you caught it i suppose
Old 29-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #11
adrian k
adrian

the oil shouldn't do any damage to the windings itself (remember power transformers sit in an oil bath all their life), but running it with oil on will cause carburisation on the commutator and will cause a short, which may or may not damage it. so get to it quickly
T3 TS50 #17 275kW
AU3 XR8 SVP 220kW
adrian k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #12
Baldman
Starter Motor

Something wierd going on. I fixed up the oil leak so it won't be causing the problem agian BUT the bench test said the alternator was charging fine. Got it home put it in the car, battery light was still on so I gave it a little rev and let it idle for a while.

Light went out and I put the home tester on the battery to see if it was recieving any charge from the alternator and it was. Problem solved I thought, turned the car off packed up.

Turned the car back on 10 minutes later and the battery light is on again. Put the home tester on and nothing, no charge being recieved from the alternator again. Gave it a rev and let it idle for a while, same process as before but longer and still nothing, no charge from the alternator.

What do you guys think? Regulator? Is the regulator built into the alternator in the Futura AUII or is a seperate unit? I know in my old mans old hi lux its a seperate unit on the other side of the car but I dont think my luck is good enough to have it outside the alternator.
Old 30-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #13
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Alternator light series 1 Fairmont

Hi all Like Baldy my batt light comes on almost every day in the Fairmont it comes on for no apparent reason then goes off after maybe 30 mins then it may or may not come back on like I say seems no reason for it I had the alternator checked (free check at the auto elecs) but the light was off so no problem showed up
I too put the meter on the battery at home and no charge when the batt light is on and charge when it is off all seems OK there
The battery has never gone flat on me but I had to replace it 12 months ago first one in 6 years of ownership
My Fairmont is a dual fuel tickford factory set up if this means anything
thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #14
Baldman
Starter Motor

Mate, that sounds exactly like what was going on with mine. Ive just picked up a reconditioned alternator with 6 months warranty from a local garage until I can put together the $300 for a new one.

Last edited by Baldman; 30-01-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 30-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #15
_CRUZ_
Ford Owner

Mine did this 1 year ago, leaked onto the alternator, stuffed that, and needed new alt and powerstering hose

The steering hose was a complete unit and cost about $170 fitted i think and the alternator replacement is a mitsubishi unit cost about $90 fitted i think from memory.
_CRUZ_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #16
Baldman
Starter Motor

I ended up getting out of it for $12 for a new fitting for the power steering line from Ford and $160 for a reco alternator. But thanks.

Also, can the Mits alternator fit into a falcon? I'd think the bolts would be arranged differently.
Old 30-01-2009, 09:53 PM   #17
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

The regulator is internal to the alternator, can be changed but not a job for a beginner, part is about $130 from memory

A Mitsubishi Alternator is made by Mitsubishi Electrics, came standard in AU2 and above Falcons, it doesn't mean it came from a Mitsubishi Magna.

But many models share common parts, alternators, starters, air con, power steering, diffs all very similar internally but just have bolts in different places for Falcon or Commodore or Magna.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2009, 09:59 PM   #18
Baldman
Starter Motor

GOod to know, I got a reco alternator with a 6 month warranty to use until I get a brand new one but I'm still having the same wierd problem above.

Alternator charges first run then after the car is turned off and back on it doesnt work anymore, only now the battery light has gone out but the battery is running at 12v (brand new battery) and the alternator isnt charging anymore.

I can't come up with anything. All the fuses are fine the wiring seems ok when all checked with a multimeter but it just doesnt want to charge after the first run.
Old 28-11-2009, 12:19 AM   #19
jrh001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel
AU had a Visteon alternator, bad unit, nearly (but not) impossible to fix
AU 2 & 3 have a Mitsubishi unit, similar to BA's, very good unit and fairly easy to fix
Hi,

Do you know if the Mitsubishi alternator from an AU 2 will fit an AU 1?

JH
jrh001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #20
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

you need a jumper to plug it in iirc.. 3 prong vs 2 terminals

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post