Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-10-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
FordDoctor
Starter Motor

Default Small World

Hello from a World away, America to exact. I just joined your forum out of curiosity and I am absolutely fascinated! How did I find this site? Well, I am the publisher of forddoctorsdts.com, a diesel technician web site in North America. I monitor the traffic to my site and noticed a large number of hits on an aptitude test featured on the site coming from this forum. Naturally I had to check you guys out!

I am a Ford Diesel technician with 21+ years in the industry 19 of which with Ford. Most of my experience is with Ford F-Series trucks, Super Duty's and medium duty trucks but I have experience with cars too. As I look over some of the topics I see many similarities to American Forums in the discussions but I also don't recognize many of the models Australians drive despite some familiar names. Maybe I just need to look around some more!

A couple of years ago, I met a gentleman from Australia who was temporarily living in the U.S. on business. He owned a new Ford Diesel truck and said that he planned on bringing it back "home" with him despite the cost of converting it to meet Australian regulations. He told me that there really aren't any trucks like the ones here which leads me to ask if there are many large imported or domestic pick-up trucks in your country?

FordDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Welcome to the Ford AU community mate!

Some dealerships in Australia have a low intake of F Series Trucks...I see quite a few F250/350's cruising around Perth.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
JD86
DELANY

Welcome mate

yeh there is a few F250s and F350s around Melbourne also
Old 04-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #4
mowog
Discovery 4

Ford Australia was importing the F250 for a while but they droped it sometime ago. Anything in that class is now either a private import or done by small volume importers like Performmax who do Chevy trucks.
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2007, 11:23 AM   #5
fairBA
Banned

someone send him an F6
fairBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2007, 11:27 AM   #6
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

All AUS F-Trucks are the Brazilian built trucks not US made. They are different. It looks like we won’t be getting many (if any!) new F-Trucks as they can’t make them to suit the new emissions standards :(

East Coast Suspensions
Road - Race - Performance & Prestige Car Service

BOSS 5.4L Silicon hose kits for sale
BA/BF FPV parts for sale

The only negative thing in your life should be camber

Blue Power Racing Enhanced
Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Grum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome, and by the way you aptitude test is very interesting.
Regards,
Tote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:30 PM   #8
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

One of my mates imoprts and converts Dodge Rams BUT in saying that there are not many HUGE SUV's over here

I was amazed at how many F series SUV's that Ford US sell in one day..........

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2007, 12:51 PM   #9
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Welcome to ff.com.au FordDoctor! Well, in the F-Truck discussion, I live in a town well known for its forestry (and Daffodils, but anyway), and the roads around here are quite rough, so most utes here are either Toymotor Landcruisers or... F250's!
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2007, 01:08 PM   #10
Ringo
I see you....

Hi Ford Doctor,

Over here your more likely to find lots of Jap pick ups being used commercially and privately.

Once you get into the more remote parts of Australia away from the south east coast it becomes more and more Toyota country. Toyota Landcruisers (and variants of) and Nissan Patrols are the vehicles of choice out there, Toyota Hilux is popular as well.

It comes down to price, reliability and parts availablity and the Jap stuff ticks all those boxes.

Whenever they do breakdown they just ride their kangaroo's into town to get whatever parts they need......
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #11
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Welcome FordDoctor

Like mentioned, Ford were selling limted quantities of F250s and F350s for a little while but have stopped now. Apart from that we still get F150/F250/F350s privately imported as well as Chevy trucks and Dodge Rams. But generally we don't have much of a market for them here. We like large cars but not huge cars :

It's pretty much Toyotas, Mazdas, Nissans, Mitsubishis and Holdens (GM/Izuzu) that are the main stream work trucks used here. We have the Ford Ranger and older Courier; Mazdas with another name pretty much.

We do put the F series 5.4L petrol V8s to good use though. I have a SOHC 3 valve one powering my Falcon (Ford Oz's large car, about the size of the Taurus), and the quad cam versions are used in our hi/po Falcon models with up to 390HP from the factory and much more after some bolt on mods.

Check out the aussie Ford website (www.ford.com.au) for what's currently on offer plus the high performance (www.fpv.com.au).

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2007, 01:48 PM   #12
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

I have two older trucks myself.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 09:18 PM   #13
XHUTE6
Bugger! 1390mm too long!!

i want one of those F650's as a ute and a new concordia freightliner for my work truck... i should go buy some lotto tickets i guess
XHUTE6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 09:30 PM   #14
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Welcome to the Forums,

I must say too, you have set a great test I did it and was very impressed at how great a tool that would be for potential employees for companies needing people with a mechanical mind. If only places like Super cheap and repco made thier employees pass that test first.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:27 PM   #15
fmc351
let it burn

So its your fault...
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 11:46 AM   #16
partzkid

welcome to the forums, yeah ford stopped selling the f250/f350's a while ago now
but there is still one company in melbourne bringing over the new modelsthat i know of.
They are called VDC (vehicle devolopment corp.) i think. they're office is right next to
ford australia head office in melbourne actually

partzkid
partzkid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post