Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-05-2015, 11:02 PM   #1
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Hiking and mosquitos

Nothing to do with cars.......

but I'm wondering what you use to ward off mosquitos when out in nature hiking and trekking around on paths, off the path and wherever. Do you use something natural or some spray or wipe with citrus or some chemical?

Going hiking soon and wondered what I should use. I have sensitive skin and don't like feeling like my skin can't breath (meaning oily heavy creams).

Any advice or suggestions would be helpful.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2015, 11:35 PM   #2
zilo
BANNED

Default Re: Hiking and mosquitos

Permethrin is the substance they use in the military.

An eye dropper in the washing machine and your clothes are a repellant.

If you spray it around the dooirways of your house, fly screens etc you will be mosquito free for a while.

It is a controlled substance, you need to wear a mask when spraying it.

I use a disposable hazard suit and mask etc.

It also kills cats by destroying their nervous systems.

I use it at home about every 2 years.

About 80 bucks a litre.

be careful though...it kills marine life at one part per billion.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-05-2015, 12:21 AM   #3
sr71

i was going to suggest eating bananas. But thought I should read up on that first. Some say it repels, others say the banana attracts them. But here is a good link:
http://www.mosquitoreviews.com/sitemap.html
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2015, 12:22 AM   #4
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Bug bombs contain a lot of permethrin. Good surface sprays also contain a little.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2015, 09:22 PM   #5
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

anything with DEET is good, as it also will repel ticks.

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2015, 08:16 PM   #6
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Don't use permethrin.

That stuff is the devil and walking around with it on your clothes makes you dizzy as hell, and absolutely stinks. It also takes a lot of washing to make the smell go away. With my work i have a designated uniform i use when they make us dip our clothes, i dry the uniform and it goes back in my locker never to be worn.

When hiking in Mosquito areas that are in a hot climate I simply wear light pants and a long sleeve shirt. I use bushmans on the exposed areas and on ankles and neck line, this keeps the mozzies, ticks and leeches away. You are in the US so probably don't have Bushmans, so anything with around 40% Deet will work well. Keeping covered is the best way to avoid a skin reaction from any product you would use to deter them.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2015, 08:44 PM   #7
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I have always used Aeroguard to help out. It is greasy and smells bad but it helps a little.

I don't know if that is an option over there in the US. Citronella candles are popular here too but maybe not effective while moving.

The funny thing is you can be with someone else and they don't cop barely a bite while you get attacked to hell regardless of repellent. There is research into this apparently.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2015, 08:59 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

That person who gets eaten alive by mossies is always me, the other people get away without getting touched.

Maybe take me along hiking to keep them away from everyone.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2015, 10:14 PM   #9
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In mangrove swamps crushed up mangrove tree leaves rubbed on the skin do work in a pinch.
We used to go to a surplus store and buy little green bottles of a white thick liquid bug repellent. It was ex-military and quite strong...stung the eyes too if you got it near them.

Oh...and when we had an old TE Cortina and went out crabbing, I sat the bottle on the boot lid. It fell over as I was wiping the stuff on my arms, and a line of it dribbled down the side of the rear quarter on the white paint. I left it there for a while until I finished applying the stuff. Then I wiped it off the panel with a finger.
And it took the top layer of paint off...
Strong stuff...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2015, 11:52 PM   #10
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Don't use permethrin.

That stuff is the devil and walking around with it on your clothes makes you dizzy as hell, and absolutely stinks. It also takes a lot of washing to make the smell go away. With my work i have a designated uniform i use when they make us dip our clothes, i dry the uniform and it goes back in my locker never to be worn.

I tried DEET and it made me nauseas, gave me testicular cancer and gave me seizures when it crossed the placenta between me and my girlfriend.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2015, 12:32 AM   #11
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Oh...and when we had an old TE Cortina and went out crabbing, I sat the bottle on the boot lid. It fell over as I was wiping the stuff on my arms, and a line of it dribbled down the side of the rear quarter on the white paint. I left it there for a while until I finished applying the stuff. Then I wiped it off the panel with a finger.
Strong stuff...
That stuff is potent, 80% deet. I stopped using it when I got some on my G Shock watch band and the next morning it had burnt through it.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2015, 08:49 AM   #12
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, I haven't tested this, but I read somewhere that Wrights Coal Tar soap is a repellent.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2015, 01:55 PM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have used repellents, but the times i have the mozzys seem to use the repellent like barbecue sauce ,
just an idea, if you dont like chemicals, perhaps go to the army disposals/surplus and get hat and some mosquito netting and keep them off your face and neck, and just wear loose comfy clothes(cover up ).

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=m...w=1745&bih=861
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2015, 11:41 PM   #14
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Lemon juice and vinegar. Lol. works for everything else.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2015, 09:03 AM   #15
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
In mangrove swamps crushed up mangrove tree leaves rubbed on the skin do work in a pinch.
We used to go to a surplus store and buy little green bottles of a white thick liquid bug repellent. It was ex-military and quite strong...stung the eyes too if you got it near them.

Strong stuff...
The ex military stuff you talk about may have been Kokoda. It came in a flat green plastic bottle with the top recessed into the top of the bottle.Don't know if it's still available but in the very early 70's we used to go into the mangroves after mud crabs and believe me that's where the mozzies are and the merest smear of Kokoda would keep them away.
Spilled in the bottom of the dinghy a few times and took the paint straight off, also will instantly melt plastic on things like watch faces, tackle boxes etc.
We do extended camping trips in all environments and use Rid, Tropical Strength Aerogard roll on or whatever we can lay our hands on.
Burn mozzie coils in camp, worst I've struck lately is at Alva Beach near Ayr, jeezz they were chronic there, wheather was dead still and humid.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2015, 12:11 AM   #16
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone!
I ended up taking the safe road and went to my neighborhood organic health food shop and bought a citronella-tea tree-lemon grass-eucalyptus lotion. I covered up with long sleeves and jeans and even had a tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar (highly recommended by the organic health shop manager). Maybe it was all that or because it was a pretty windy day but we hiked in the morning to afternoon and I exited the hiking trail with ZERO mosquito bites!! yay!! Considering I'm the one who gets bit everywhere we go, it worked!

Thanks again!
Old 08-06-2015, 12:14 AM   #17
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
That person who gets eaten alive by mossies is always me, the other people get away without getting touched.

Maybe take me along hiking to keep them away from everyone.
Shoulda invited you then!! Cuz I'm the one who gets bit too. So my friends take me as bait so they don't get bit, lol!