Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: IS the Parts Database a useful tool ?
Yes 64 42.38%
No 15 9.93%
It needs work 29 19.21%
It needs more models 22 14.57%
What Parts Database? 54 35.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25-06-2005, 06:41 PM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Do you find the Parts Database a useful tool?

Obviously these take a lot of work to collate and I am thinking of extending it into other models. It presently covers XA - AU Falcons and their derivatives but could be extended to include other selected models (e.g BA, Territory, Focus etc.) if there was sufficent use for them.

Your input will be useful in assessing whether this is a worthwhile exercise.

Multiple choice is allowed.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2005, 06:48 PM   #2
460cixy
burn out king

news to me i dident know there was one . where is it?
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2005, 06:50 PM   #3
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

For those who don't know it can be found HERE

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 25-06-2005, 07:30 PM   #4
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Absolutely. I would look at something or other on it at least twice a month. It is one of the best resources on the forums!!

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2005, 07:40 PM   #5
neb
hibernating

yeah i think its good, havn't really had to use it much but its helped me once before
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2005, 07:46 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

never new it existed, looks good russ good work
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2005, 07:56 PM   #7
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Voted 'yes' and 'needs work' simply because it can be hard to find things because of the strange way some of the descriptions work
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2005, 08:21 PM   #8
rodderz

It's certainly useful Russ

Those wishing to know parts prices can look it up rather than phone dealers etc. Another good example of these forums being a great resource for those searching for info too

Adding parts for current models (eg. BA, Focus etc) would be fantastic too. Only thing is people will have to be patient with how much personal time and effort is put in by Russ before it is put up
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2005, 08:30 PM   #9
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Very useful Russ. I'm always checking for parts and prices in there. One of the best features of the site. Bookmarked as a favourite for easy access too.

If I could make a suggestion, this may prove to be highly unlikely, or might be very time consuming, but is it possible to have a photo of the part aswell? Same as the Ford Database at a dealer? This way one would be able to know 100% it is the part they're looking for. This would obviously only work if you were to type in a single exact part number.

For example, if you were to type in TAUTVE 18045 A, a photo of the part such as this would also appear on the page. This would be very very handy, but as I said.. might be very time consuming to set up. Is it possible Russ?

Also noticed the part numbers on the database are not exactly the same as the scans in the gallery, and vise versa. For example, the above part # TAUTVE 18045 A is shown in the scan as 8402 18045 AA. Why is this so Russ?

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2005, 08:48 PM   #10
parawolf
beep beep

I'll definately be using it when i get my next car...
Old 25-06-2005, 09:14 PM   #11
professorsabre
NECO

Although I don't use it, not owning a Falcon, I think it's a good idea. I use something similar on a site in the states to get oem part numbers and approx prices for my Cougar. Would be nice if extended to other models.

Cheers
professorsabre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2005, 09:53 PM   #12
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Russ;I have not had the need to use the db and I Commend you and the others that put it together.
It is things like this that make this forum strong,keep up the good work guy's it's not wasted.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2005, 10:05 PM   #13
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Absolutely. I would look at something or other on it at least twice a month. It is one of the best resources on the forums!!
I mostly agree, while i dont use it as much, it's certainly very helpful. it'd be great if it covered the BA, but while i've got the AU, it's fine the way it is :

Although i think that the best resource on the forums is the actual users that contribute and make it such a wealth of knowledge. Well done everyone that contributes!
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2005, 10:13 PM   #14
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGZMK
If I could make a suggestion, this may prove to be highly unlikely, or might be very time consuming, but is it possible to have a photo of the part aswell? Same as the Ford Database at a dealer? This way one would be able to know 100% it is the part they're looking for. This would obviously only work if you were to type in a single exact part number.

For example, if you were to type in TAUTVE 18045 A, a photo of the part such as this would also appear on the page. This would be very very handy, but as I said.. might be very time consuming to set up. Is it possible Russ?

Also noticed the part numbers on the database are not exactly the same as the scans in the gallery, and vise versa. For example, the above part # TAUTVE 18045 A is shown in the scan as 8402 18045 AA. Why is this so Russ?
It is technically possible but you also have nailed the very first problem with it - the numbers used in the original diagrams do not match the curent "International" numbering convention which makes cross matching them almost impossible. This doesn't matter to a Microcat user as they simply click on the small number next to the picture and it leads them to the right part but it would be hellishly difficult (if even possible) to build the massive cross reference that would be required. Having said that though it is possible I would think to put up the section diagrams which should provide enough information for most people to suss out what they are looking at. Will see what can be done.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 25-06-2005, 10:19 PM   #15
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Voted 'yes' and 'needs work' simply because it can be hard to find things because of the strange way some of the descriptions work
You and most of the rest of the English speaking world! Obviously these descriptions are inherited from days of old to some extent while others are internationally flavoured - I need to find somewhere to put a glossary where everyone can find it rather than have to guess.

One of my favourites is the use of the (Euro sourced) word HOOD - it would be ok if they used it everywhere but if you try BONNET as well you get a response for unique parts to this country - strangely they use BOOT rather than TRUNK but that probably shows how much the Euro influence has changed the numbering and naming system.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 25-06-2005, 11:36 PM   #16
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
strangely they use BOOT rather than TRUNK but that probably shows how much the Euro influence has changed the numbering and naming system.

Cheers
Russ
You mean they didn't call it a Deck Lid (tm)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2005, 01:08 PM   #17
Filthy GT-P
Saving Water Filthy again

Both of our cars are BA's so I have not used the database to date, but I would be very keen to use it if the information on the BA was there as well.

Regards

Steven
Old 26-06-2005, 06:50 PM   #18
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Great stuff, inclusion of BA would be a good move.
Is there any reason it stopped at AU. Embargo?, time & available info?, didn't see a need?
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2005, 07:27 PM   #19
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never knew about it, but now i do know i think its a great tool.
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2005, 07:36 PM   #20
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'm pretty thick, is there an easier way to do the search if you don't know the number or exact description?
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2005, 07:40 PM   #21
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I've only used it once or twice, not counting the times I get bored and decided to laugh at what Ford charge for some parts.

Both times I've used it I had to ID a part I had lying around. AU radio suppressor, found it first shot. I forget exactly what the other part was, it was an XD part, I punched the number in and got nothing. I'll have to remember what the part was.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2005, 08:55 PM   #22
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by smciner1
You mean they didn't call it a Deck Lid (tm)?

I wonder if you looked up "ute tub" it would have it listed as "lorry tray" or "pickup" :
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2005, 08:56 PM   #23
LUXO_8
windsor user

i havent had a need to use it yet, but im sure it will come in handy if i do...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2005, 09:50 PM   #24
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak351
i'm pretty thick, is there an easier way to do the search if you don't know the number or exact description?
The easiest way is to keep the search string to a minimum - for example try a single word as it usually provides a clue as to what the longer description might be - also use the model and variant filters as these reduce the results even more.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 26-06-2005, 09:53 PM   #25
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Use it all the time. Sure the descriptions are difficult but rattle your brain and you should be able to figure them out. For a picture that would be ideal but the programing involved in cross referencing everything whoa.

Go to the dealership and say I think this the part i want and quote part # and the salesman will tell you if it it or not.
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2005, 09:55 PM   #26
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
Great stuff, inclusion of BA would be a good move.
Is there any reason it stopped at AU. Embargo?, time & available info?, didn't see a need?
Time as much as anything. As the models get more recent the number of available parts gets larger. XA-XC only has a list of about 750 available items (for example) while the AU has nearly 6,000! The BA (by comparison) lists nearly 23,000 entries.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 27-06-2005, 01:24 AM   #27
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

I voted Yes. I've never used it myself (not that I can remember anyway) but I do think it's a useful resource to have though.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2005, 01:32 AM   #28
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Time as much as anything. As the models get more recent the number of available parts gets larger. XA-XC only has a list of about 750 available items (for example) while the AU has nearly 6,000! The BA (by comparison) lists nearly 23,000 entries.

Cheers
Russ
23,000 parts is a lot of entries.. Is there any way of add the most likely BA suspects as time goes on.. It's a great resource.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2005, 07:34 AM   #29
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Quote:

Cheers
Russ
How are these records provided Electronic or Paper based?
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2005, 06:04 PM   #30
xceler8shun
Ford Fanatic

im constantly using it, but wish it would display more then 30 results
xceler8shun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post