Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-02-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation About face on 380

About face on 380

Kevin Hepworth

Mitsubishi's 380 — the car that refuses to lie down — will score an interior refresh and a model rationalisation before the middle of the year.

"We are looking at the variants and the specifications of the model range," says Mitsubishi communications manager Lenore Fletcher. "What we are looking at is the most effective and efficient way to streamline the model line-up."

Mitsubishi has five 380 specification levels on sale — not counting the limited-edition Platinum model — three of which offer both manual and automatic gearboxes.

That is a model-rich mix for a car which in January sold 1041 units, an increase of 235 over the December sales and an improvement of almost 30 per cent over January last year.

Even with the improvement in numbers, the 380 is still selling at little over one third of the volume Mitsubishi had predicted for its most expensive Australian-developed model.

Fletcher says there will be some "minor" cosmetic changes to the overall look of the cars but the facelift will concentrate on the interiors and review of the specification levels.

Also under the microscope is the supercharged 380 TMR showcar, at least a variant of which is being seriously considered for a production future.

"An exciting performance variant of that type would be a great halo car for the 380 but of course it has to make economic sense," Fletcher says. "We are working through a few options and while nothing is confirmed it is certainly not off the radar."

The TMR, first shown at the Sydney motor show last year, is production-ready but needs to have a business plan approved by head office in Japan. Just as important, the 380 TMR project needs to be integrated into a bigger strategic plan to give Mitsubishi a full-scale special vehicles division, bringing it up to speed against Ford, GM Holden and, from later this year, Toyota.

The 380 TMR was built by Team Mitsubishi Ralliart, under the direction of rally team boss Alan Heaphy, with a Sprintex supercharged engine producing 230kW and a range of upgraded components, including brakes taken from the Lancer Evo and lowered suspension.

Why don't they just let the poor bugger die ???

csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

let it die do australia the favor. or even take it to the US

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger
Yeah, and let people lose jobs.:
Old 15-02-2007, 04:36 PM   #4
robs_ls1

They'd sell if they were RWD.

The poofy FWD thing has stopped me (and probably many others) from even sitting in one.

RWD is the name of the game for a big sedan in this country. Full stop.

Given their current situation, perhaps they'd increase sales if they offered a "cardy" pack, which includes a pair of lambswool driving moccasins, a corn cob pipe, a white hat, a box of tissues and some croche'd cushions for the rear shelf. And a cardigan, of course.
robs_ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 04:41 PM   #5
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

There sales are going to pick up i believe with smaller companies looking for 'cheaper' cars at the same size. Commodores are out for fleet vechicles cause they cost to much for little re-sale value. Falcons are great, but there not much better priced then the Commodores. next logical step is these euro looking heaps of craps that seem to be popular among the older generation.

I say give me a BFMkII XR6T Anyday for a company car... Then i could legally drive i on my Probrationary License! :
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 05:41 PM   #6
Rob
Living the dream

I've driven a 380 ES and a 380 VRX, and both cars were fantastic, but the FWD put me off. Honestly though, 90% of the time, the FWD element isnt really a problem, you dont notice it unless you're really ripping into it, I think its more psychological - a FWD can never be a proper performance car.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 05:49 PM   #7
Fair302
Life is a Ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC
I think its more psychological - a FWD can never be a proper performance car.

Neither can a near 2,000kg car with a truck engine, but don't get me wrong i've got one of those too.

I won't look at anything Mitsubitshi does purely because the factory gives that many discount here and there that they aren't worth two bob come trade time. Otherwise they make nicer cars than Toyota IMHO

: 2011 Honda CB400 - Pearl White; Megacycle slip-on, Some Carbon Fibre & More... 2010 Yamaha Virago 250 - Burgandy
Fair302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 05:51 PM   #8
arby

Everyone keeps bagging the FWD on the 380, saying its the issue why it isn't selling. So why does the Camry sell so well?
arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 06:03 PM   #9
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

All that in mind, the 380 is sposed to a very good car dispite the not so good sale figures. If I were looking for a front driver. I would go a 380 over a Camry anyday.
There is also the emploment issues. MMA are employing plenty of aussie workers putting the 380 together, so if it goes under, so do many family's jobs, & that aint good.
I wish MMA all the best & hope they keep going...

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 06:08 PM   #10
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arby
Everyone keeps bagging the FWD on the 380, saying its the issue why it isn't selling. So why does the Camry sell so well?
Because Toyota doesn't have the ABC spreading rumurs about the factory closing etc. They have been doing that to Mitsubishi for the best part of 10 years.
Old 15-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #11
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Why are you complaining about the 380 being FWD? Pretty much only difference is you can't drift one
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 07:07 PM   #12
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

All I'm surprised with is that Mitsubishi manufacturing haven't shut up shop. The rumors were flying around.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 07:21 PM   #13
MRJUCY
Fordless

The 380 is a nice well equipped car but the problem is even when they were launched they felt like a generation old car. They feel like a 97 Magna with more features & power built to compete with EL not the BF or even AU.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 07:33 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Why don't they just let the poor bugger die ???
Yeah just like they should have with the AU, Ford deserved to die for that one :

Some people just do not understand that not every single family depends on a Ford product to put food on the table and pay the bills. I hope Mitsu can bring out that TMR version and really get them moving out the doors. FAR better to have them alive than dead.
Old 15-02-2007, 07:42 PM   #15
SXCXR6
Banned

yeh i agree its time for mitso to grow or die and a supercharged engine is about the smartest thing ive heard from the mitso gang in a while some competition finally.
SXCXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 07:46 PM   #16
Tech Trainer
Are you sure about that?

I am another one of the many people who have driven the 380. I had a 380 SX for a couple of months as a company car and did not want to hand it back.

Personally I found the car to be as good as if not better than any AU or BA Falcon I have driven and way out in front of any Commodore I have driven.

The car itself was quiet (could not hear the engine running at idle and minimum noise whilst driving), has as good as or better accelleration than a standard BA, the transmission shifts smoothly, there are minimal warranty concerns with the car and the finish left both the Ford and the Holden product for dead. As for the FWD it is not an issue. I did not experience torque steer as there is a system built in to overcome this.

If the Australian public finally woke up to themselves and drove one of these cars or included them in the vehicles to test drive before signing on the bottom line, it would be Ford and Holden in deep dark ****** not Mits.

Personally if they release the TMR 380 I will be one of the first in line to buy one.
Tech Trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 07:50 PM   #17
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

The 380 is boring as, yet the rentals I have had, I absolutely love. It's boring but an all round perfect car. Smooth, quiet, economical, handles better than an XR, and hauls **** off the line.

The 380 is similar to VE and Aurion, and with some serious development in the performance stakes, it's quality (build is perfect), will give the dunnydores and falkoons a run.....

Bring it on,.. Keep the bastards honest comes to Mind, and the Mitsu with 380 could just welll do it!

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 08:58 PM   #18
irsa76
Snoopping

Considering the budget Mitsu had to develope the 380, it is a great car. The problem is, the market remembers, or imagines, the issues that the early models suffered. 20 years ago! The problem I have with the 380 is:
1, No wagon. MMA developed a world class wagon on the previous generations and actully exported them to Japan, Europe and America. Why no 380 wagon?
2, No real difference between models. The ES is a no brainer, but the LX/SX is almost exactly the same as the VR/VRX apart from different trim colours. Talk about confused.
3, Resale that can only be described as brillant, for buyers! Which really bites hard in my case since I own a Verada wagon.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 10:06 PM   #19
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.J.Tuddy
There sales are going to pick up i believe with smaller companies looking for 'cheaper' cars at the same size. Commodores are out for fleet vechicles cause they cost to much for little re-sale value.
You reckon the 380 will save the company money when it's time to sell off the fleet? LOL!

Surely a Falcon or commodore is going to have better resale value!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 11:11 PM   #20
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon Mitsubishi, minus FWD make good cars. I found the TE and TF Magnas to be far more comfortable than an EL Falcon.

Compared to Toyota, which makes (IMO) an inferior product, the Magna is great.

Reputation has a lot to do with it. People buy Corollas. Ignore the fact that the 3, Focus and Astra have surpassed the car in almost all aspects. People know that when they get a Corolla, they have a car that lasts.

Why are people buying Barinas, despite the fact that they are rickety pieces of poo which almost guarantee the loss of your legs in an accident? Because the Barina is the oldest car in its class, so people know what it is.

Reputation goes a bloody long way.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 11:25 PM   #21
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i havent driven the 380 yet but i quite like the look of them except for that clear outer cover on the tail lights of some models.

i think that the biggest thing that is holding up sales is that most of the publicity that that the company gets is about their unstable managment and financial situation.

i have talked to quite a few people who love the cars but wont buy one for fear that the company will fold and they will be left with a car that has no factory backup (parts etc) and no resale.

i guess that its what you call being stuck between a rock and a hard place. they cant sell their cars till they fix the companys image and they need to sell cars to be able to fix the company problems that are holding up the car sales.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 11:27 PM   #22
eMpTy
Low, Loud & Black

They nearly got it right with the Magna a few years back. We seriously considered buyin one of the AWD Magna's but were told that they were only available as an auto, no manual option.
They've used the brakes from an EVO Lancer in the TRM 380, so why not go the whole hog and drop the AWD setup in too along with a manual box so that the supercharged 230kw can be enjoyed, not just driven?
eMpTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 12:53 AM   #23
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger
Congrads mate, have you considered running for government? Or perhaps corporate governance is more your thing.....
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 05:29 AM   #24
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

All car companies are struggling, they employ big work forces in Australia lets hope they can keep plugging along and keep there workers on there production lines and not the dole line.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 08:47 AM   #25
landau5.8

It is blatantly obvious by the people who comment on the 380 in a bad way that you are completely ignorant and uneducated. Whilst being a die hard ford fan, I have worked with Mitsubishi for many years and can say from experience that they are far more superior of a car that the other three big guys. Before passing judgement on a vehicle, ensure that you know the product first rather than just bag it out. Its because of people like yourselves that the car gets a bad rap, hence no one wishes to buy it, hence no sales, hence no production, hence loss of jobs. Think before you speak you fools.
landau5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 09:28 AM   #26
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landau5.8
It is blatantly obvious by the people who comment on the 380 in a bad way that you are completely ignorant and uneducated. Whilst being a die hard ford fan, I have worked with Mitsubishi for many years and can say from experience that they are far more superior of a car that the other three big guys. Before passing judgement on a vehicle, ensure that you know the product first rather than just bag it out. Its because of people like yourselves that the car gets a bad rap, hence no one wishes to buy it, hence no sales, hence no production, hence loss of jobs. Think before you speak you fools.
Yeah youre right. Its lucky that noone bad mouths the commodore or the falcon isnt it. Otherwise we would all be walking. Blaming people who dont like something as responsible for a product not selling is pretty weak.

At the end of the day the product has to sell itself to its targeted demographic. If the 380 doesnt sell, I'd say the BIGGEST fear the public has is that if they buy one, and mitsubishi closes or decides to leave the australian market completely, their mystical 5 year warrantys turn into toilet paper.

Now wether its true or not that they may or plan to leave AU and not honour warrantys is irrelevant. The preconception that the company isnt stable is in the publics mind now, and people dont give 25 - 40 thousand dollars to unstable companies if they can avoid it.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 09:36 AM   #27
MON10A

why dont the ones with negitive things to say about the 380 go to your mitsubishi dealer,dont bull5hit to them and take one for a drive.most will find its a lot better car than what is made to be by the stories going around.
MON10A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 10:03 AM   #28
robs_ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MON10A
why dont the ones with negitive things to say about the 380 go to your mitsubishi dealer,dont bull5hit to them and take one for a drive.most will find its a lot better car than what is made to be by the stories going around.
I would if it were RWD. But it isn't, so I won't. End of story.
robs_ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 01:02 PM   #29
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MON10A
yeah lets all just do that, because I love going for test drives in cars I find ugly, that use an engine layout that I hate.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 01:38 PM   #30
coupdy do

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs_ls1
They'd sell if they were RWD.

The poofy FWD thing has stopped me (and probably many others) from even sitting in one.

RWD is the name of the game for a big sedan in this country. Full stop.
You hit the nail on the head- FWD suck even the yanks are getting rid of them
coupdy do is offline   Reply With Quote