Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Default Unrego'd Vehicle Permits.

Has anyone had any issues with getting a unrego'd vehicle permit to drive interstate? I plan to drive from QLD to SA.

Last time I did this was over 10yrs ago driving a P6 from VIC to SA and had no issues. just wondering if times had changed.

Cheers

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Unrego'd Vehicle Permits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaEB
Has anyone had any issues with getting a unrego'd vehicle permit to drive interstate? I plan to drive from QLD to SA.

Last time I did this was over 10yrs ago driving a P6 from VIC to SA and had no issues. just wondering if times had changed.

Cheers
Start with Qld transport tell them what you want to do, you may get lucky with a permit arranged across states,
at worst you may need to arrange multiple permits...
Old 09-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

QLD is the easiest, I've done it 3 times in the last 18 months, you need to get an third party insurance certificate (any QLD insurer), then go to their department of transport and get a permit.

All the info is on their transport websites.

Permit needs to be done in person in QLD, but you can get the insurance over the phone and mailed to you a week before.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
321Go

In VIC, an Unregistered Vehicle Permit is strictly for driving a vehicle that is in a roadworthy state to a RWC tester, repairer or Vicroads office only. And there's also a specified time of day in which you can only drive the vehicle aswell, if I'm not mistaken. The permit cannot be used for driving a vehicle to your mates place, interstate, ect as far as I'm aware.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
mash85

thats partially right, it in Vic it an only be used between 7am and 7pm. and as above for driving between home and mechanics and back again (to get rwc work done) but can also be used to drive the vehicle directly home from purchase
Old 09-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
rocket67

We have obtained unregistered vehicle permits from Vicroads quite a few times over the last couple of years to drive cars from Melbourne to Adelaide.

Found Vicroads pleasant to deal with.

Restrictions were to drive by closest practical route to destination, not to drive after 6 or 7 pm, and car to be roadworthy.

Rocket.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan

Permit needs to be done in person in QLD, but you can get the insurance over the phone and mailed to you a week before.
insurance can also be arranged at qld transport while your doing the unreg permit.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #8
321Go

Well I stand corrected. I was not aware that you can drive interstate with an UVP. Been years since I had used one.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...iclePermit.htm
Old 09-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
z80
Banned

Some slight misinformation here.

I have a VIC Roads permit on my windscreen right now that cost $73 including TAC fee on Friday.

I can drive it for 28 days for attending RWC,VIV or any other vic roads matter.

I can drive it to pick up any parts or repair work as needed.

I can drive it for the purposes of testing the vehicle for any proposed modifications for the purposes of getting a VASS engineers certificate.
This may involve many destinations and conditions.

Note: I can drive it on public roads to test modifications such as engine, suspension, brakes,etc etc

At all times it must be roadworthy.

There is a mention of time restrictions for attending vic roads matters or attending RWC etc of 7am to 7pm.

There are no time restrictions for driving the vehicle from place of purchase to proposed garage address.

I have done it several times (Adelaide to Geelong) and have encountered police, usually around Horsham, had the same argument about "times" with them and won the argument after they read the permit conditions on the accompanying page.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:52 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket67
Found Vicroads pleasant to deal with.
What did you put in their drinks?
This user likes this post:
Old 09-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #11
b055m4n

Yes i've used an unregested vehicle permit a few years ago to drive my to drive my newly purchased XR8 from Melbourne to Wollongong in NSW from memory was valid for one day only and from 7.00 am to 7.00pm got pulled over at Goulburn by highway patrol at about 9.30pm but nothing was said so yer no problem.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaEB

Cheers
It will cost you a fortune to do this with a permit.

The car is in QLD. You will need a RWC, permit & insurance and as soon as you cross the border you will be running the gauntlet. A 2 day permit is over $100 and you have to nominate when you are going to go so if for whatever reason you don't make it then another permit is required.

Simple plan.

RWC, insurnace and 6 mths rego ($400 for a 6, $500 for a V8) then drive down at your leasure and as soon as you get there de-register it and get the pro-rata fees back.

As the car is registered you can drive it around until you change the rego without any fear of "miscommunication" with whomever feels like giving you grief.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #13
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

But don't you have to reside in the state to register it there?
Old 10-10-2011, 07:39 AM   #14
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

The car is in QLD. You will need a RWC, permit & insurance and as soon as you cross the border you will be running the gauntlet. A 2 day permit is over $100 and you have to nominate when you are going to go so if for whatever reason you don't make it then another permit is required.

Simple plan.

RWC, insurnace and 6 mths rego ($400 for a 6, $500 for a V8) then drive down at your leasure and as soon as you get there de-register it and get the pro-rata fees back.

As the car is registered you can drive it around until you change the rego without any fear of "miscommunication" with whomever feels like giving you grief.
So you can rego a car in QLD even though you are not a resident?
Old 10-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #15
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:

Simple plan.

Plus about $80 for the Safety Cert (RWC) and anything it needs fixed, and you lose $40 or so in processing fees to cancel the reg. By the time he adds in fuel and time, he might be better off using a transport company.

According to both NSW and Qld transport authorities (3-4 yrs ao), the permits from one state are valid in another. I rang both NSW and Qld transport authorities for the same purpose and that is what they told me. The difference being in NSW they were dirt cheap and lasted IIRC 28 days but the vehicle had to have a ??blue slip??, while in Qld they were something like $67 for the insurance portion, and $17 for the DOT and were only valid for a single 24 hr period. Any extra days were for insurance only a couple of dollars dearer (maybe $5@Suncorp), but the DOT charge was $17 per day.

The only thing they mentioned was the state you get it from should be either the start or end destination.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
So you can rego a car in QLD even though you are not a resident?
I will paraphrase the question for you to make it clearer.

Will the QLD state government accept money from for any reason whatsoever?

YEP, we have squillions of backpackers and itinerants wandering about in mobile junk piles.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:34 AM   #17
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No need to RWC for a unregistered vehicle permit.

Why are you running the gauntlet if you cross the border? Only travel in WA is not allowed on a permit and last time I checked there is no need to go though WA when going from QLD to VIC.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Registrati...-vehicles.aspx
Old 10-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No need to RWC for a unregistered vehicle permit.

Why are you running the gauntlet if you cross the border? Only travel in WA is not allowed on a permit and last time I checked there is no need to go though WA when going from QLD to VIC.

The vehicle must be in "safe condition" translation.....road worthy. If the car cannot pass a roadworthy I suspect it might have a bit of difficulty being driven 2000km in a single run.

I went through this exercise a couple of months ago trying to bring a XD up from sunny coast. It was cheaper to have it transported.

QLD permits last 24hrs and the last time I drove from QLD to SA (not Vic) doing it is 24hrs would have been a bit of a marathon. Of course I am only 400km north of the NSW border, this car is not in FNQ is it?
Old 10-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #19
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The vehicle must be in "safe condition" translation.....road worthy. If the car cannot pass a roadworthy I suspect it might have a bit of difficulty being driven 2000km in a single run.

I went through this exercise a couple of months ago trying to bring a XD up from sunny coast. It was cheaper to have it transported.

QLD permits last 24hrs and the last time I drove from QLD to SA (not Vic) doing it is 24hrs would have been a bit of a marathon. Of course I am only 400km north of the NSW border, this car is not in FNQ is it?
Permit is for up to 7 days and yes the car must be roadworthy but you do not need a RWC to get a permit. There is a difference.

Not sure why yopu are so argumentative about it ad trying to make it sound so hard.

OP asked if it was easy to get a permit ion QLD answer is get insurance get a permit and that is all. So yes it is easy. Is it cheaper to get the car transported by a reputable company 2,000km + I very much doubt it.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #20
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Permit is for up to 7 days and yes the car must be roadworthy but you do not need a RWC to get a permit. There is a difference.

Not sure why yopu are so argumentative about it ad trying to make it sound so hard.

OP asked if it was easy to get a permit ion QLD answer is get insurance get a permit and that is all. So yes it is easy. Is it cheaper to get the car transported by a reputable company 2,000km + I very much doubt it.
Well lets see.

1) A car without number plates will be driven in at least 3 maybe 4 states with a permit that MAY be valid and the vehicle MAY be intercepted by local Police. Based on personal experience transporting things in foreign states with QLD permits it is much better to do things the easy way rather than spend several hours (days) waiting for the local plod in Upper Cumbuctra West tries to work out if it is legal.

2) The car is obviously old as it is unregistered so possibly may have unknown mechanical issues. If something goes wrong half way and the permit runs out then there is a problem, if registered then it can sit there until fixed.

3) The CTP insurance for the permit is quite expensive for the period covered.

4) If the car has QLD rego even for 6 months then it can be used and driven to where and when ever needed legally until it trnsferred over to SA rego and the remaing QLD rego, if any, will be refunded.

5) My advice is based on actually doing things not reading a few websites. The OP asked a question, I am providing an alternative that will probably save him a lot of grief and before you ask the last time I was involved with a vehicle interstate on a permit (QLD permit in NSW) was August this year.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #21
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Simple plan.

Only 1 problem with this. As the OP does not live in Queensland, he can not register a car in Queensland. I'm guessing the car does not have rego other wise he would not need a permit.

Last edited by xisled; 10-10-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #22
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It seems pretty easy. You just apply for a 7 day permit. Get CTP insurance, for the time and drive the car back to S.A. Unless traveling through W.A you can use the same permit. This pretty much has all been said in above posts.

Here is the site for more info.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #23
fords35to75
No plastic bumpers

I work for a dealer in Victoria and we quite often get UVPs as we sell a lot of used cars to interstate buyers. The Victorian permit states from......... to .................... and travel should be by the most direct route although I know of people who have taken 7 days to get to QLD via NSW coast. Permits are valid in all states except WA and that is also currently being argued. As previously stated, get in touch with Qld Transport, find out what they need and once on the road you will have no worries. If Qld Transport are too difficult, you may be able to arrange it through SA Transport (assuming you have SA Licence)
'65 Galaxie Convertible (390)
'75 XB John Goss Special
Old 10-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #24
fmc351
let it burn

Qld permits cost $27.95 per day DOT fee, plus the 3rd party insurance which is $47.20 plus $1.10 per day upto 7 days, thats through Suncorp. My advice is based on doing it too, albeit several years ago (was dearer then, DOT is up by nearly $10, and insurance fee is down by nearly $20) and a phone call to Suncorp and DOT just now. Suncorp are also well aware that they are valid interstate, Id expect police to be as well. You do have to buy your permit from the state where the journey starts.

OP, go to any branch of Suncorp Bank to pay the CTP portion, do that first and then go to the DOT. If you go to the DOT first, they will just tell you need the CTP first and that they dont handle the CTP part there for permits, annoying as all hell if youre without a car. Work out the days you need, give yourself a day or two leeway for safety, you need to know journeys start address, and destination address as it will be stated on the permit. They start from midnight on the first date. So if you buy it at 2pm on Monday 10th Oct, it expires at 11:59pm that same Monday. You can buy it on Monday with a start date of Tues or Wed though and leave at Midnight of the first date on the permit, ie: Tues or Wed depending what you selected. You can buy up to 7 days, and 7 days would be $250.55. Organise it the day before you want to leave/collect it. You can contact Suncorp on 1800 423 390 and do that part over the phone with a CC but would need an email address for the receipt, IMO better to go in person when you know when youre going to be going, have checked the car over and bought it etc. The vehicle must be roadworthy, but not RWC. That is, youre not an authorised inspection station so cant determine if its RWC, but you can tell if brakes work, tyres have tread, seat belts are fitted, and lights etc work. They require that type of thing when you sign the permit application.

Hope you know what the car is like well enough to chance a long trip as your first experience with the car. Flappist is dead right on the risk you are taking on that front. Car transport is easier to organise from home, than stuck on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. When calling for a tow and transport at that time, well the phrase "come in spinner" springs to mind.

Quote:
Well lets see.

1) A car without number plates will be driven in at least 3 maybe 4 states with a permit that MAY be valid and the vehicle MAY be intercepted by local Police. Based on personal experience transporting things in foreign states with QLD permits it is much better to do things the easy way rather than spend several hours (days) waiting for the local plod in Upper Cumbuctra West tries to work out if it is legal.

2) The car is obviously old as it is unregistered so possibly may have unknown mechanical issues. If something goes wrong half way and the permit runs out then there is a problem, if registered then it can sit there until fixed.

4) If the car has QLD rego even for 6 months then it can be used and driven to where and when ever needed legally until it trnsferred over to SA rego and the remaing QLD rego, if any, will be refunded.

5) My advice is based on actually doing things not reading a few websites. The OP asked a question, I am providing an alternative that will probably save him a lot of grief and before you ask the last time I was involved with a vehicle interstate on a permit (QLD permit in NSW) was August this year.
Theres no may about it, it is valid. And the police will be told over the radio it is valid if they are unaware.

If the car can be regoed in Qld it must pass a RWC first, that could add significant time and cost to the idea of rego, parts, labour and accommodation, that is if he can find an address to reg it at, and they dont ask him to transfer his licence over as well. And he does need to reside in Qld to get rego in Qld, every car Ive transferred into my name Ive had to present my Qld licence, and the times Ive done the same for my Mrs' cars I had to present her Qld licence along with a letter from her authorising me to do so for them to accept the money and transfer it. They dont, contrary to your assertion, just take anyones money without question, he must reside in Qld.

Last edited by fmc351; 10-10-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #25
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well lets see.

LOL...you seriously have no idea do you!

You did it in August of this year did you? You needed a RWC, I take it? In your experience in August of this year your UVP issued in QLD did not work?

Give us a break from your predictable posts.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #26
fmc351
let it burn

Oh, youll also need the VIN to get both the permit and the CTP.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #27
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In answer to the second, no a RWC was not needed but it did need to be roadworthy. The delay was over an hour as it was in woop woop in NSW near Lightning Ridge on a Sunday.

As for the first, do you see all the car yards that flog cars to international back packers. Not a lot of that in Nambour but in Cairns, here and Brisbane it is common.
The backpackers usually do no even have an Australian licence. The address for the transfer is where they are that day i.e. hostel or motel, the DL is their international or usually their home country DL.

Again, I live in a place where this happens (A LOT).

The OP can read through this and make his own decision.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #28
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
In answer to the second, no a RWC was not needed but it did need to be roadworthy. The delay was over an hour as it was in woop woop in NSW near Lightning Ridge on a Sunday.

As for the first, do you see all the car yards that flog cars to international back packers. Not a lot of that in Nambour but in Cairns, here and Brisbane it is common.
The backpackers usually do no even have an Australian licence. The address for the transfer is where they are that day i.e. hostel or motel, the DL is their international or usually their home country DL.

Again, I live in a place where this happens (A LOT).

The OP can read through this and make his own decision.
The difference being they have an International Licence and a motel/hotel/backpackers/caravan park, and the key part is likely the Intnl Licence. Given they are tourists, and the home is OS not simply interstate, its seems unreasonable to force them to have an address here to reg a car so they can tour yet recognise their Intnl Licence. And we have them all over the Sunny Coast. Puhhlease dont try and tell me you think Harvey Bay has more tourists than the Sunny Coast.

NSW permits are different from ours. They have blue slips, and green slips in NSW (last I checked anyway). Every so many years a car needs a green one, the rest of the time it only needs a blue one. If its been unregd for some time it also needs a green one, I think. You need either a blue or green slip in NSW for a permit so might as well reg it there. The form to apply here has a checkbox that asks if the car is roadworthy, and the average punter is not an authorised safety inspector and therefore cant assess it for RWC so that is not what youre stating when you sign it, and DOT dont ask for a mechanical report like they do with rego. They just want to know the obvious stuff like it hasnt got bald tyres, drivers seat is not a milk crate, blowing smoke, no brakes, dead lights etc. Ive asked that question before when I noticed the question on the form and this is what I was told, how can we expect you to know its actually RWC, they just want to know of the obvious stuff.

Last edited by fmc351; 10-10-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #29
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Well on hold to Qld transport now, the car is currently rego'd but will be sold without reg.

The transport fees to WA from Qld is bonkers. But from SA more reasonable. I also have family in SA so I can park the car there for a while.

As for, if it would make it, well that's half the fun of a road trip, If I do buy the car (which I'm 99% sure I will), I'll be stopping into a wreckers and grabing a full set of spare rims and tyres, I'll also have my trusty toolbox with spare belts, hoses etc etc...

Btw been on hold now 19mins, way to QLD transport!

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #30
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Alright the info given to me was as follows

The car needs to be "of roadworthy condition" ie. Not running with bald tyres.
The permit is valid for every state except for W.A. And it's valid from the time you pick the permit up, you can't set a time/date period.

The permit costs $26.90 per day plus CTP.

If the car breaks down and the permit expires what ever state I happen to be is where I need to go to get a new permit. Ie. If I'm in Dubbo I need to go to the NSW RTA to get a permit.

As to where the car is, its near you flappist just near Childers. And I would be planning on a 2 day drive. I don't want to end up a statistic.

Almost looks like a road trip. I'll wait to get excited, wait till I'm boarding the plane to brissie.

Cheers

P.s. Is there a train that can take me to Childers or do I have to get on a bus?

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Closed Thread