Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Default Break ins

Ok…

So…2 weeks ago today my $5,000+ mountain bike was stolen from the unit complex I live in…

The bike was locked up in what is advertised as a, ‘A basement car park and coded gate access ensure privacy and security and for the leisurely minded.’

That is a quote taken from the ad for a unit in my complex. Basically, unless you have a gate remote and/or key you cannot access the underground carpark. So pretty much, someone has found a way to get access, cut a lock, etc.

Now, reported it with the police and they were great, bike was recovered within 24 hours. Told the on-site managers/caretakers…they didn’t seem to care…Also taking into mind my roommates bike was also stolen the same night.

Ok…Now, last night in the same, ‘basement car park and coded gate access that ensures privacy and security for the leisurely minded’ my XR6 was broken into...Nothing obvious stolen or damaged…But I was running late for work so didn’t have a thorough look. Stuff was strew all through the car, glove box had been pried open and is now broken….Lucky I don’t keep anything of value in the car.

Going in at 10 to report it with the police. Spoke with the on-site managers/caretakers again (Who are obviously employed by the rental agency or something) who basically said there is nothing they can do….Pretty much I fired right up and said it was crap and it shouldn’t happen, blah blah second time in 2 weeks. And yeah…’sorry not much we can do.’

I’m going to go in and see the actual rental agency today and fire up a bit. Not that it’ll get me anywhere.

What else can do? Pay $300 a week bloody rent you’d think it’d come with some piece of mind that this sort of thing won’t happen…I’m ignorant to anything legal, but if they claim it’s a secure basement carpark, security coded, etc…where it clearly is not…can something be done there?

The managers even told me it’s an unsecure carpark and they’ve had problems in the past with break ins…apparently the offenders just wait until someone opens the gate at night when coming home at night and just waltz in…at least that’s how they have in the past. Only other way in is if you jump the front fence, but you’d have to navigate your way through a labyrinth of carparks to get to my gear.

I’m apocalyptic with rage.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

That's shocking......I hate it when people play the 'nothing I can do' card...

As far as your rant to the rental agency.....it will make you feel better! At least you've stood up for yourself and made some noise about a situation you're not happy with. Things won't change by themselves, it requires people like yourself to take action!!!

Is there any sort of insurance with regards to that carpark??? As it is advertised as a 'secure' carpark??
Old 11-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thank hell you got the bike back. does it have that radar tracking stuff? I'd be hiding something worth that much in my closet lol

have you made the super strong bike chain investment yet?
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I've made a keep it in the unit right outside my bedroom door investment.

Nah no radar tracking, they just stole the only one of it's kind in Cairns. Plus I had the serial number of it and it was engraved with my details.

Reported it with the police...they are going to investigate it. Had the same case officer who came out and did a report on the bike...good fella. Seemed pretty concerned about me being hit twice in the past 2 weeks...

As for insurance as it's advertised as a secure carpark...not sure. But the car isn't damaged from what I can tell....so not much I can claim on really...

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
burnz
VFII SS UTE

does the building log who accesses the car park??
as it maybe another tennant.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
Tom_Jane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
does the building log who accesses the car park??
as it maybe another tennant.
I have been in a similar situation. Secure parking lot. Damage to car.
The other tenants were the first people I suspected.
Tom_Jane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Biggest weakness in these complexes are:

Main Garage door: unless the person entering/exiting the complex stops to see if anyone sneaks through, its free passage every 2 minutes into these places once someone comes or goes

Old tenants, or tenants in similar complex: I know that I can open the main garage door with my buzzer for other buildings in my development.

I always stop just on the other side of teh main roller door if a car ever tries to follow me through that was waiting there when I arrived. probably some poor ba%^ard who forgot his pass and just wants to get home, but too bad in my opinion!!
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
YoungFordFreak
Yamaha Rider

What you need is a thermus full of coffee and the 000 on speed dial. Catch the b@$tards in the act.
YoungFordFreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
IngoStang

Back when my bro was living in a unit he had quite a few things stolen. He lived in a block with the same security measures as yours. Long story short the offenders were actually using a remote they stole out of someones car. Might wanna speak to the relative people and get the code on the remotes changed if you haven't already
IngoStang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
silicon

How was the bike recovered?
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #11
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

lobby the body corporate for a CCTV system

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 10:22 PM   #12
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJA77
Back when my bro was living in a unit he had quite a few things stolen. He lived in a block with the same security measures as yours. Long story short the offenders were actually using a remote they stole out of someones car. Might wanna speak to the relative people and get the code on the remotes changed if you haven't already
That's how my Grandmother's apartment block was accessed too. Then there are the ones who walk out the door to check mail or take garbage out, and leave it ajar so they don't need to fiddle with a key to get back in.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 11:00 PM   #13
GUTLES
Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
lobby the body corporate for a CCTV system
Unfortunally won't help much.

A work mate had his ute stolen from our work yard. A locked secure yard & it was undercover with a heap of machinery in front of it. It even had a flat Battery. We even have CCTV footage of them taking it & its not helping it at all.

It was found on day 10 of it being missing (the day where they we're happy to pay it out) until it was found at 10pm that night burnt out missing the Engine.

RACV have sent out a private investigator & his had to prove his innocent, he has to get the Police Report, a Receipt of when he brought it 6 years earlier, Bank Statements, Credit Card Statements, a fullly itemised Phone account for all his phones, its crazy.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 08:33 AM   #14
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like its time to move out
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #15
Springfield_Johny

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Ok…

So…2 weeks ago today my $5,000+ mountain bike was stolen from the unit complex I live in…

The bike was locked up in what is advertised as a, ‘A basement car park and coded gate access ensure privacy and security and for the leisurely minded.’

That is a quote taken from the ad for a unit in my complex. Basically, unless you have a gate remote and/or key you cannot access the underground carpark. So pretty much, someone has found a way to get access, cut a lock, etc.

I’m apocalyptic with rage.
Firstly I'm sorry to hear about the incident.

OK so according to their own add its a secure parking arrangment. Perhaps they have breached the conditions of the lease as it is no longer a secure parking arrangement? Found this form on the RTA website "Notice to remedy breach"
http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/form_11.cfm

You should complete it and submit it to your lessor/landlord, keeping a copy for yourself. I'm not sure if you can also lodge the breach with the RTA.
http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/index.cfm

You also might like to speak to TASQ (Tenancy Advice and Advocacy Services (Qld)) regarding the issue. The contact details for Cairns and surrounds is 4031 6733
http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/contacts_for_tenants_.cfm

Perhaps armed with this information and letting your lessor/landlord know the action you intend to take with the above authorities may have an impact on their care factor regarding the situation.

John

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Springfield_Johny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 10:08 AM   #16
xpvanman

If the thieving scum want something bad enough, It's pretty hard to stop them.

Last month i had my double garage broken into (It has one roller door at the front) - I make a habit of parking my Landcruiser hard up against the door to try and block a break in attempt, But it didn't stop these guys! They broke into the cruiser & moved it back from the door, Picked the 2 locks on the roller door & stole my Honda CR250 + 3 Stihl chainsaws, various tools + all my bike riding gear. :

The thing is, The CR was chained to the wall in front of the 2 cars that are stored in the garage + it had a disc lock on the front wheel & another chain through the rear wheel & frame. They cut the one off the wall and PHYSICALLY CARRIED a 120KG bike over the 2 cars, down the road to where the bike was found dumped - minus the other locks. They couldn't get it started - stale fuel saved the day.
xpvanman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #17
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not a good situation but I'm not sure what can be done. Just because you pay 300 bucks a week rent (IMO which sounds cheap, but I live in Sydney) doesn't protect you from scum bags.

As a landlord myself what could I do in this situation. Yes I can upgrade the security add CCTV, monitored alarm etc etc. but would you cop the extra 50 to 100 buck a week in rent to cover the increase in body corporate costs to pay for security.

Only real option you have is find a better area or better complex and pay more. Or complain to the police or politicians about crime in your area...
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #18
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

I lived in Cairns for 4 years when I worked for a Government organisation which deals with big grey ships, so I am a bit familiar with the area. If I amy ask, what area in Cairns?

When working for said organisation in Sydney, I lived in a new complex in Strathfield. Under building parking, secure doors, all the stuff. Damn shame that the forced door wasn't fixed for over a month after the break in was reported. In that month, two bikes were stolen (never found again) and we all threatened to withold rent until it was fixed.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #19
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Area is Parramatta Park...Fairly bad suburb, but the complex...at the time, seemed find and secure. (Been in it 6 months).

I had a brief look around at new places last night on the net...Plenty around...But I'm in the financial postion now where it's more viable for me to buy a property. I'd just have to have someone else living there and paying rent as I paying off a morgage single handedly would be tight to say the least.

Umm to answer a question before, the bike was recovered by the police dumped in a park no more than 2km away from my place. Police still won't allow me to pick the bike up though...it's been 2 weeks...but that's a different story.

I had a stake out last night early hours and didn't see anything. But chances of getting them in the act is slim...even then, what could I do?

It's safe to say I'll definatly be moving when the lease is up in december...Much to the disgust of my roommate, but he'll live with it.

Oh and I had a good look at the car last night...no signs of any damage to the car...only thing stolen was a brand new camelbak. None-the-less, I took EVERYTHING out of the car and left a nice little note in the console if they decide to come back.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 14-11-2009, 12:24 AM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Sooo, you paid 5 grand for a bike then leave it unchained in a carpark with all the other 'honest' tenants that park there? :
Old 14-11-2009, 01:58 AM   #21
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Sooo, you paid 5 grand for a bike then leave it unchained in a carpark with all the other 'honest' tenants that park there? :
The OP said it was locked up.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #22
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungFordFreak
What you need is a thermus full of coffee and the 000 on speed dial. Catch the b@$tards in the act.
You would have to be a pretty slow sort of person to need 000 on speed dial.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #23
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
The OP said it was locked up.
'Locked up' yes. But just sitting in a locked up car park, or 'locked up' with a chain in the carpark?
Old 16-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #24
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is a HUGE issue in our area with so called 'secure' unit basement carparks/garages. They are anything but. I now live in a villa type unit with 'unsecure' street level garages and have never had a problem...

I lost my then new Diamond Back Dual Response (ducks guts at the time). Never saw it again. My mate saw it once and chased the person on it but they got away.

The problem with ‘secure’ underground carparks (with or without) internal garages is they are anything but.

Cheap skate developers use cheap, non-rolling code remotes for the gate. You grab a code recorder/repeater from basically anywhere for a few bucks, sit in a bush or a car nearby when someone comes home, press record, then come back early the next morning. They get in no drama, then away from all view they go nuts with no one to see.

I will never live in one of these complexes again. They even cut two padlocks on each bottom corner of my metal garage to get stuff out of it once they were in the basement.

My mate who used to live in one replaced so many power windown he just left the windows down and a few coins and ciggies in the console. Every couple of nights they would be gone, but he didn’t have to keep replacing his power windows like everyone else.
Old 16-11-2009, 11:34 AM   #25
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
'Locked up' yes. But just sitting in a locked up car park, or 'locked up' with a chain in the carpark?
Locked up with a chain in a locked storage cage.

I'm not dumb enough to leave a $5,000 mountain bike unsecured!

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 16-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #26
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Locked up with a chain in a locked storage cage.

Maybe its time to take it inside mate if you can.
I dont live in a place like that but stayed at Gold Coast on the w/e and it had a similar set up secure park. Only thing it didnt use a remote to open the door it was a key. I went out last night came home and someone pulled in before me, i just drove straight in after them. No one even asked if i was staying there.
Old 16-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #27
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

The bike now has a cosy spot outside my bedroom door!

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 16-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #28
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Good idea mate.

When i had my bike was only worth about 2.5k though it lived inside
Old 16-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #29
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Sorry to hear about the theiving. As you no doubt know, complaints will fall on deaf ears, sadly.

Similar thing happend to my wife when she was living in a serviced apartment complex in Melbourne a few years ago. "Secure" car park, much like the one you've described. She left her Giant in there, chained up with the best lock we had and it went walkies. After a bit rant to the staff at the complex, they said "sorry - your bike, your loss". Nice.

On the one hand, you've been very unlucky in that you've been targeted twice. However, you did get your bike back (or will, when you're allowed to). I've had about 5 or 6 bicycles stolen in my time, each worth a fair bit of money and totally unique - never saw any of them ever again. What sort of bike is it?

As an aside, may I recommend you the best bloody bike lock in the known universe?

http://www.abus.de/us/main.asp?Scree...=4003318286285

I have a slightly older version of this one, and it's brilliant. You can't cut them open with grinders/saws or anything as the barrell rotates inside, so all it'll do is make pretty holes in the outer rubber sheath and spin the insides around. I once came back to find some little oik trying to steal my Roberts by hacking at the lock with a hacksaw blade... watched him for a good minute from around the corner before I wandered over and asked him WTF he was doing... he marked the outside of the lock, no other damage.

I'm reliably informed that the only way to get them undone is to get some bolt croppers that can bite through an inch of steel... not many people carry them about!

And based on the battle scars my lock has, that's not the only time it's saved a stupidly expensive bike of mine from being stolen.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #30
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Well, you are from Cairns

But seriously if anyone went to that much trouble to get it they must have known where it was and planned how to get it. I'd be looking at the tenant list.