Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-12-2006, 02:51 PM   #1
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Stage 3 Water Restrictions!!! HELP!!!

I read today that Stage 3 water restrictions will be introduced on New Year's Day for Melbourne. Under Stage 3, no washing of cars is allowed, except for at commercial car washing facilities.

So ladies & gents, what now? Risk your duco at a commcerial car wash, or let the paint die a slow death with accumulated grime? Is the best option going to one of those hand-wash places, or are there good "waterless" cleaning products around?

Any thoughts/opinions etc would be appreciated.

PS. My vehicle is black. D'oh!!!!!!

Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wash the car at midnight on a full moon LOL
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2006, 03:12 PM   #3
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Been like that a while here now. You could install a rain water tank, but since it's not raining it'd be pretty useless atm. Best places are those hand wash ones, expensive but most do a good job.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2006, 03:14 PM   #4
Qwikcorty
V8 Turbo Hoon

or you take a bucket and sponge to carlovers and do it like you would in your driveway.
Qwikcorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2006, 03:51 PM   #5
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

I use carlovers (renamed to classic here). they recycle the water and are still legal.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2006, 04:13 PM   #6
Scott

The water at the "you do the work" places is terrible. I often stop by on the way somewhere and hose the cars off but the crap they leave on the car is a pain in the butt.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2006, 04:20 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
The water at the "you do the work" places is terrible. I often stop by on the way somewhere and hose the cars off but the crap they leave on the car is a pain in the butt.
Depends on where you go, up here now at least with the stage 4 restrictions all the car wash places have to have rain water tanks so we get nice clean water. I'm pretty sure there are a few around that use recycled water, not a good thing and best to stay away from if you care about your paint.
Old 17-12-2006, 04:21 PM   #8
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Which one you go to. I use the one down at Tuggers, never had any problems. Always go lateis at night, they've reloaded the chemicals etc, so you end up with a better job, and with no sun, you've got plenty of time to chamois before waterspots take hold.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2006, 05:07 PM   #9
Toxic Beast
. . T U R B O . .

so ur not even allowed to use the bucket and sponge?
Toxic Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2006, 05:12 PM   #10
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fprxr6
so ur not even allowed to use the bucket and sponge?
Only allowed to clean windows, headlights, mirrors & any corrosive substances (ie. bird crap) off.
Old 17-12-2006, 09:31 PM   #11
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Whatever you do, don't go near the waterless car wash stuff..... Absolute no no....

Lucky for me I live on acreage with a dam..... : :Reverend: : :Reverend:

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2006, 11:29 PM   #12
odonus

Take a shower and put some buckets in there

Will not take too long before you have a few to wash your car - legally

Its not a real issue - providing you have lots of buckets

Many I know use the kids bath water
odonus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2006, 11:37 PM   #13
Blue Brute

My acreage has no town water .....we pump bore water into a sand filter tank comes out cleaner than town water!!!!!!! :
Old 18-12-2006, 01:19 AM   #14
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR8220
Only allowed to clean windows, headlights, mirrors & any corrosive substances (ie. bird crap) off.
So if i get busted washing the car i can say there was bird **** all over it :
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 01:25 AM   #15
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

The following Stage 3 water restrictions will be in place from 1 January 2007 to help manage Melbourne's water use.

Summary of Stage 3 water restrictions

Lawns cannot be watered by residents, businesses and local councils. There are some exempt playing surfaces that can be watered.
Hand-held hoses or high pressure cleaning devices cannot be used for vehicle washing, at any time. A bucket filled from a tap can be used to clean windows, mirrors and lights; and spot-remove corrosive substances. A commercial car wash can be used.
Manual dripper systems can be used between 6am - 8am and 8pm - 10pm*.
Automatic dripper systems between midnight - 4am*.
Hand-held hoses fitted with a trigger nozzle can be used to water gardens between 6am - 8am and 8pm - 10pm*.
New pools or spas of any capacity cannot be filled. Before filling an existing pool or spa consult your water authority.

* Even numbered houses can water on Saturday and Tuesday; odd numbered can water on Sunday and Wednesday. There is no watering on Monday, Thursday and Friday.

Penalties and Enforcement

Stage 3 water restrictions must be followed and water patrols are out in force across Melbourne. If you are issued with a warning notice and still breach the restrictions, you may have your water supply restricted or face prosecution.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 01:59 AM   #16
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What are the rules in regards using grey water ? is it allowed ?

if so it would be very easy to filter this down and use a sprayer to wash the car, also one could argue that any city pollution is corrosive to the paint if not cleaned allowing bucket and water to be used.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 02:30 AM   #17
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon they should clamp down on all the water the commercials use... the bastards!
2011 Audi A4 2.7 TDI - gone
2012 Audi A5 3.0 Quattro Coupe - gone
2007 FPV GT - gone
1996 EFII Fairmont Ghia - gone
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 09:10 AM   #18
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm. OK then. Does anybody have any recommendations as to the best hand car wash places in Melbourne (southern bayside suburbs)?
Old 18-12-2006, 09:18 AM   #19
Scott

Brent - in Canberra (ok, so it's a far, far northern suburb) most of the hand washers are ordinary if you have a dark car. Some of the detailers in town have put together a deal for $30 and they clean the car in and out. These guys are reasonably priced and do a pretty schmick job with the right gear. Only pain is leaving the car with them. Some of the normal hand-wash places here actually use a broom to clean the cars which is why I don't use them unless it's just before a detail!

Why don't you give a couple of detailers a call down there?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 10:29 AM   #20
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Join the club we have been on stage 4 for well over a yr now, and if you ask me it should have been state wide aswell long before now, if you think washing your poor vehicle is all there is to worry about, stop and think about the bloody country and this drought in general, we may be drinking and bathing in recylced water berore long, there's a lot more to worry about than keeping a dam car clean, but then again the only people to complain about this water shortage are those from the city that never realise that it's the country that keep's them going, we are in dire strait's with this water crisis, my missus travel's to work in the city every day and she see's the huge srpinkler's on most day's watering the cricket lawn's in the suburb's, well as long as you have green's to look at huh, our water supply's have been below 5% for well over a yr now and rapidly declining, we have to relie on sourcing water from the Goulban, but it will be yr's before we see most off that because there are farmer's out there that are paying for water they do not get and they will get it 1st, and rightly so, just stop and have a think why every thing you buy these day's has risen dramaticly in price, and I'll tell you now it won't get any better.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 10:38 AM   #21
KaptnKaos
KAOS IS RANDOM ORDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Hmmm. OK then. Does anybody have any recommendations as to the best hand car wash places in Melbourne (southern bayside suburbs)?
I've never used them myself cos I reckon they're too pricey, but the guys in the carpark at Southland did an awesome job on my brother-in-laws car. They even did "spot-cleaning" on all the bugs & tar, and polished up his mags for him.
KaptnKaos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 11:06 AM   #22
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Why dont you just get a 44 gallon drum and rig up a hose into it that catches the washing machine rinse water??? it will contain minimal impurities that will settle to the bottom and you just bucket the grey water from the top.

Then you can wash the car and if anyone stops to say what are you doing (ie water cops) you just show them the tank rigged up to the washer.

Check to make sure this is ok in your state, but as far as i know it should be....
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 11:28 AM   #23
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a Karcher that can suck water out of a bucket or drum so i may be looking into grey water or a drum off the roof thats if we get any rain! I still think it sux that commercial car washes dont allow you to use your own bucket, sponge and car wash. Instead you have to use their brush which damages the paint. I guess its so you are forced to spend more money there just for foam and harsh brush.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 11:41 AM   #24
LTDHO
The one and only

Stage 3 is aload of BS!

What about mobile car detailers??

I drive to work and see the councils hosing the roads! Yet I can not wash my car on the grass??

Tank water is useless, it hasn't rained!!

Why haven't the councils been using recycled water for parks, footy ovals, etc? Instead of drinking water?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 12:28 PM   #25
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Off cars for a second, I can't play my tennis competition anymore because under stage three, we can only water the courts (en tout cas) on a Tuesday and a Sunday. That does little for us considering comp is on a Saturday.

The water restrictions suck, but it's the price we pay for people not being wise with water for too long, as well as governments being so *** complacent and in no way proactive in realising that we live on a bloody dry continent and therefore a drought was inevitable. Oh wait...we're the government. Our job is to be reactive. Forget the future...we won't be in power then! Who cares?

I love politics.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 12:36 PM   #26
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Join the club we have been on stage 4 for well over a yr now, and if you ask me it should have been state wide aswell long before now, if you think washing your poor vehicle is all there is to worry about, stop and think about the bloody country and this drought in general, we may be drinking and bathing in recylced water berore long, there's a lot more to worry about than keeping a dam car clean, but then again the only people to complain about this water shortage are those from the city that never realise that it's the country that keep's them going, we are in dire strait's with this water crisis, my missus travel's to work in the city every day and she see's the huge srpinkler's on most day's watering the cricket lawn's in the suburb's, well as long as you have green's to look at huh, our water supply's have been below 5% for well over a yr now and rapidly declining, we have to relie on sourcing water from the Goulban, but it will be yr's before we see most off that because there are farmer's out there that are paying for water they do not get and they will get it 1st, and rightly so, just stop and have a think why every thing you buy these day's has risen dramaticly in price, and I'll tell you now it won't get any better.
No it wont get any better......and yes the restrictions should proberly have been brought in earlier in Melbourne but, unlike the country areas, the dams here do have some water left, way more than the country regions fortunatley. As my enitre family are country based and farmers, I do feel for what they have to go through but because they dont have it bad doesnt mean everyone should go through the same. Horses for courses and unfortunatley thats the way it is. It effects all in different ways and doesnt feel as important to farmers that they cannot wash cars, lawns, gardens, whatever it is an effect that people her in the city have to comprehend and change lifestyles. Drove through Mildura not long ago and surprised to see nature strips being watered! That is a farming comunity but have access to water. Alice Springs dont have restrictions at all either. These places shouldnt be brought into line just because some country areas are critical......and yes I do think about the farmers but not often cos they dont relise how tough it is for some in the city as well and I get a bit sick of the family saying how good we have it here.............its not all peachy all the time. Again different problems for different people. Good luck with it all up there as I know Bendigo is doing it tough.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 01:33 PM   #27
Spotty

At the moment I am washing my car with 3 buckets of water and an enjo mitt and an enjo chamois. Enjo is a micro fibre product that traps the dirt as you wipe and you dont need to use soap which means heaps less water to rinse and the finnished result is really good. The enjo products are a tad expensive though and I think you can only get through a party plan selling thing....but the results are better than using car lovers brush which I have found scratch the duco.
Spotty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 02:06 PM   #28
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

I notice an exception for removing corrosive material. This would include bird shyte, and salt surely?
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 02:10 PM   #29
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Off cars for a second, I can't play my tennis competition anymore because under stage three, we can only water the courts (en tout cas) on a Tuesday and a Sunday. That does little for us considering comp is on a Saturday.
I'm in the same boat mate, we had our last competition match for the year on Saturday though, so hopefully a miracle will have occurred by Feb next year when we go back to playing.
Old 18-12-2006, 02:45 PM   #30
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Join the club we have been on stage 4 for well over a yr now, and if you ask me it should have been state wide aswell long before now, if you think washing your poor vehicle is all there is to worry about, stop and think about the bloody country and this drought in general, we may be drinking and bathing in recylced water berore long, there's a lot more to worry about than keeping a dam car clean, but then again the only people to complain about this water shortage are those from the city
Thanks for the sermon mate. If I wanted a fricken lesson on "Morals Befitting The Drought Crisis" then I would have asked. Maybe I missed something, but this is a specialist Ford forum where we talk about, err, Ford vehicles and how to do a whole lot of things with them, including care for them. I wasn't denigrating anyone, or sledging anyone...just asked how to keep my car clean under the new restrictions.

For what its worth, a good portion of my family's background is rural based, and I've seen my old man, and my grandfather, go through drought across the years, and I'm more than aware of the issues at hand thanks.

So, if you have any ideas that may assist in how to keep vehicles clean, then I'd like to hear from you. Alternately, if you want to start a new thread on Victoria's handling of the drought crisis, then fine....everyone can then contribute to that. All I ask is that I don't cop a holier-than-thou backhander for what was in essence, a fairly straightforward & practical question.

Off my soapbox now.