Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-09-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default rocker cover ideas

i have a chance while my rocker cover is off the car next week to paint it,

any one have any advice on what needs to be done prior to paint it, and when painting it, im thinking of a gloss black cover

cheers matt

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

I would personally pay someone to do it, I got mine done by the guys at Budget Bodyworx and I couldnt have even come close if I did the job myself.

I know a few people on here have done it with mixed results, from what I've read its more about the preparation than the actual painting that will make it look good.
Old 30-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't paint it, have it powder coated, Cost cheaper to be powder coated then it is to paint. $40 for mine pics are in my build thread. There at archerfeild.
51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

your rocker cover looks good, where abouts in archer field mate, might have to pay them a vist

what different colours do they do,

and how long did it take

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
Old 30-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #5
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
your rocker cover looks good, where abouts in archer field mate, might have to pay them a vist

what different colours do they do,

and how long did it take
took one day, and they can do any colours. even candy colours but that cost more.

http://www.qualitypowdercoaters.com.au//
51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks, ive just sent a message to the guys and find out tommoro how much to do it in black and deliverd to me cheers

Old 30-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nice work on the limo 510AU.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

nice crome finnish mabey?

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
au11futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #9
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

POELWYK painted his in 'ford blue', cost him $18 or something for the engine high temp paint, i think he just degreased it and lightly sanded it before doing a couple of coats
it came up pretty nice, its a little glossy for my liking but hey its a cheap fix!
for the extra 20 to get powdercoating done i can see thats clearly the best option unless youre a pensioner or something lol
im only here to throw ideas around
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #10
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well i have gone off the painting idea and tommoro getting my rocker cover polished, just have to go to pick a part at wacol and find a 10 dollar rocker cover,

he is interested in my intake so im making him one in the morning to get my rocker polished, will look good

Old 20-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well went to pick a part today to get a nother rocker cover which by the end of next week i should have it back with a mirror polish on it, ready to go on my fresh motor after or before the car gets painted cheers

Old 20-11-2009, 11:00 PM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I had the rocker cover on my AU powder coated in candy green .... was a much nice look than the standard EGAS green.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 11:06 PM   #13
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gone off powder coating idea my self same with painting

will look good polished up, shame i didnt have enough money to get. bbm, fuel rail, and thermostat housing to be polished, could of got the bbm in side a polished as well oh well

Old 23-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #14
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Picked this up today, no rush to put it on yet

Old 23-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #15
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

that looks really nice, wouldn't mind doing that to mine, cost?

glad to hear you avoided the painting idea, we tried it on a friends, looked horrible as there was still spots of oil where the paint wouldn't settle
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #16
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well didnt cost me nothing, becuase i did half a 3 inch intake for my painter, but usually cost about 150 bucks

Old 23-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #17
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
that looks really nice, wouldn't mind doing that to mine, cost?

glad to hear you avoided the painting idea, we tried it on a friends, looked horrible as there was still spots of oil where the paint wouldn't settle

Yeah me to, was considering getting it powder coated or painted but seeing my painters el xr6 rocker cover come up polished i was blown away

its not 100 percent perfect, but i need to give it a final buff and polish, but from a distance looks awesome

Old 23-12-2009, 11:52 PM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Looks good. Are you going to clear coat it to keep it looking shiny?
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 08:51 AM   #19
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure yet, needs a lil more work to it to make it up come really good, but i dont mind keeping it clean