Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Ford 'Behind the Scenes Tour'

Good afternoon

Have just got back from another interesting and enjoyable day at the Ford proving ground.

It's been a few years since I last visited the facility and since then it has continued to grow in size and capability with the addition of an Environmental Wind Tunnel and an anechoic chamber to go along with the already impressive list of capabilities which include an Emissions Lab; an Evaporative Emissions lab; a heat soak area, 4 post hydraulic rig and associated dyno and climate simulation facilities.

The wind tunnel and 4 post rig were of the most interest to me.

The wind tunnel:

- can produce a top wind speed of 250 km/h
- can vary temperature between -40 and +55 degrees
- can vary humidity from 10% to 95% relative humidity
- can simulate solar cycles between 600-1200W/square metre
- has a 48" 450kW 4WD dyno that can handle up to 300kW on the front and 600 kW on the rear rollers and 4500 kg per axle.

The four post rig (familiar equipment to Nascar enthusiasts) uses hydraulics to simulate a range of road conditions that allows accelerated suspension and damper testing. It simulates the torture tests that vehicles are subjected to on the test track with washboards, gutters, cobblestones and other tests designed to simulate the worst punishment we can dish out.

The second part of the day was dedicated to driving a range of current models around the ride and handling loop - a reasonably short track but with a good mix of sharp, dual apex and constant radius corners.

For me, there was a few surprises both good and bad.

On the good side:

..the Ranger Wildtrack was a much better performing and handling vehicle than I would have given it credit for being. Nice turn in, decent torque and it responded well to driver inputs. That it then went through the wading pond (600mm deep although it is capable of 800mm) without missing a beat was equally impressive;

.. likewise, the Focus diesel was an eye-opener. I expected it to handle really well (which it does) but I didn't expect it to have as much get up and go as it did as it is a really lively and enjoyable drive;

.. the Territory continued to remind me why it as good a vehicle as it is - the handling is impressive, the performance from the diesel better than I expected and it was the one that left me with the best impression as an all-rounder;

.. the Transit handled surprisingly well for what it is. Performance from the manual is reasonable but it is actually a solid handler despite the high centre of gravity and the fact that it isn't supposed to be a performance car;

.. all of the ecoboost equipped cars showed why this a great engine. In some of the cases today they weren't blessed with a transmission that allowed them to really shine (but maybe power-shift requires some familiarisation).

The real disappointment was the Kuga. It wallowed and floated around the circuit and didn't seem to have any real cohesion between the front and rear ends neither of which seemed connected to the steering. Performance was ok but it only meant that you were going to arrive at the limit of its dynamic capability that much quicker. In short, we should have waited for the new one.

The penultimate session for the day was a repeat of the Ecoboost challenge. Three Falcons powered by I6, EcoLPi and Ecoboost but with their identity masked so we didn't know which we were in. Each was run over a 0-100 km/h sprint and the times recorded using a vBox. Unfortunately, one of the v-Boxes had gone walkabout so the EcoLPi car had no times recorded but the fastest car on the day was the Ecoboost with a 7.00 flat.

The day concluded with rides around the high speed bowl (sorry constant radius circuit as it is apparently now called) in either a GT-P or Focus ST and rides around the ride and handling loop in another pair of the same vehicles.

All in all a nice way to spend the day. Thanks to all the team at Ford Media for making us feel we4lcome, Bob Graziano for taking the time out of a busy schedule to spend time with us and all the staff at the proving ground for taking the time to answer our silly question with a smile.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
05_ENFORCER

Default Re: Ford 'Behind the Scenes Tour'

You are certainly a lucky bugger Russ.

Good onya, nice write up

Old 03-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
RHR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would kill for a day out like that. Thanks for the info and Ford, great so see the doors opening up
RHR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Glad it was a good day .... amazing who they let in!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 03-12-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Spooly is looking so good!!! Man you have lost some weight mate! Glad you loved the day and I am a proud wife tonight with Russell winning the 0-100 competition. Nice prize too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.

Last edited by GT; 03-12-2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: DOH! Spelling!
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
05_ENFORCER

Cheeky bugger ............

Old 03-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

So...who got to take the R-spec for a spin...?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

For those wanting some more information on the YYPG facilities there is an article in the Tech Portal.

Images of various late model vehicles undergoing durability testing can be found in the gallery HERE

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
SJFALK
Whoop!

Was an awesome day...good to meet you Russ.

Cot damn that GT R Spec fast lap was good.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
Buntz
Straight Eight

Nice. I hope the day was able to give you insight into what the future holds for Ford.

EDIT: Really pro job of those snaps too. Damn the Territory is a fine looking vehicle.

Last edited by Buntz; 03-12-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Buntz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #11
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Awesome awesome day, I hope more people get to do this one day, its massive facility over 9 square kilometers, its huge ongoing investment for a world class facility.
Its something I have never really put a lot of thought into the car that I/we all drive and how much work and costs that goes on behind the scenes to get our Aussie made Fords to where they are today.
One thing that we all noticed through out the whole day is everyone who works at the proving ground is proud and passionate about the Blue Oval, you really do feel this.

I got to drive many cars, 1st Ecoboost Falcon around the track very hard to tell the difference between this and the N/A 6, after lunch we did a timing test 0 to 100 everyone had one turn LPI, N/A6 and Ecoboost 7.00 sec was the quickest time and won by the Ecoboost driven by our Russellw.

The Kuga soon as you get you see and feel the quality, suspension is very soft and a bit bouncy for my liking, great comfort car for the family though.

Diesel Focus was my pick of the day, I love the Focus we own a sport and today was my 1st drive of the diesel variant the low down torque is fantastic it gets straight on the money and the Focus sits on the road so well I love there handling.
Same KW output as the petrol model but the diesel has double the torque.

Ranger XLT looks like a big truck, goes and drives like a car, turbo diesel is sufficient enough to keep anybody happy, the power response and handling impressed me you can see why this vehicle is in high demand the XLT ultimate big toy.

Transit Van, well its a van it shifted smoothly through the gears and these new vans are a real step up from the older type that struggled for power and handling, massive load space.

Now to the professorial drivers and me as a passenger, first up has the Ranger driving though 600mm deep water it was like driving through a river felt weird driving though and watching it make a wave of water, the Ranger can go though up to 800mm of water safely.
Next Focus STI around the track, this was the most impressive track drive of the day these cars go and go, the confidence the driver had in this car with factory spec tyres was very impressive, this car at $39k is going to please many.

Next GT Rspec went hard and with a professional driver you can really see how well these cars are engineered, I believe with an Rspec tyre this car as package would improve a lot more, hard corning a big car like this with an professional driver needed more grip.

Next was the Focus STI around the 5klm banked oval track, had no trouble hitting 190klm around the bank with 3 big men, it was quiet, quick and refined for a mid sized car.

Next GT around the 5klm banked oval track, opened up the big V8 just roared and without any effort 160/180klm around the bank, the driver says the car practically steers itself around the bank, GT a little more road noise inside compared to the Focus STI which surprised me this may be the difference in tyres, the STI has the new Eagle F1 which are supposed to be one of the best true road tyres going around.

Also pleasing to see Ford's CEO Bob Graziano make the time to meet and have lunch with the average John Smith who supports the brand.

Ford made many top engineers and personal available we could chat with over lunch, the manger of the proving grounds was with us the whole day and was wealth of information.
Before anyone asks we have no personal pictures all phone had to be left at the gate and the prototype cars were securely locked away in a barbed wire fence compound out of site.
Big thanks to Ford for a great day.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
So...who got to take the R-spec for a spin...?
Both the GT Rspec and STI Focus were only driven by professional drivers.
There was a manual turbo Falcon some off the Facebook winners were giving it a good work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT View Post
Glad you loved the day and I am a proud wife tonight with Russell winning the 0-100 competition. Nice prize too!
Protest I think on the grounds there were 14 other people who wanted that prize.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #13
Buntz
Straight Eight

Totally jealous. But happy others enjoyed it. I'm so proud of the EcoBoost Falcon, could be a lifeline for the big car.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #14
sxckevo
Ford motor company

I'm pretty privelged to be able to experience the day today too. Reading the read ups from you guys has just made me all the more excited.

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
sxckevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #15
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sitting in the domestic terminal at Sydney at the moment waiting for my flight to this. So keen! it sounds like it'll be an awesome day.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #16
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Great writeup! Sounds like it was a top day.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #17
warpsp33d

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
The penultimate session for the day was a repeat of the Ecoboost challenge. Three Falcons powered by I6, EcoLPi and Ecoboost but with their identity masked so we didn't know which we were in. Each was run over a 0-100 km/h sprint and the times recorded using a vBox. Unfortunately, one of the v-Boxes had gone walkabout so the EcoLPi car had no times recorded but the fastest car on the day was the Ecoboost with a 7.00 flat.
Nice writeup. Sounds like a great day.

Pitty about the missing vBox on the EcoLPI. It'd be really interesting to see the times of each car. I suspect the EcoLPI would give the EcoBoost a run for it's money.

I've driven an EcoLPI and was extremely impressed by it, so much so, I bought one myself.

It'd be great if Ford did something similar to this exercise at perhaps local tracks near each capital city for audiences in each state. I think it'd be a valuable exercise for both Ford management and for Ford customers. Having some face time with senior folks from Ford, where they can get real and direct feedback from customers on various cars, whilst also enabling those customers to try out different cars, seems like a win for both parties.

Ford say that they want to improve their customer experience and service. This would be a serious step in the right direction.
warpsp33d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #18
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes its a great place especially for anyone with a technical background.
I was lucky enough to win a spot in the Falcon turns 50 tour. the Ford drivers sure know their way around the tracks .Ford do look after their guests too.
music189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #19
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Good afternoon

Have just got back from another interesting and enjoyable day at the Ford proving ground.

It's been a few years since I last visited the facility and since then it has continued to grow in size and capability with the addition of an Environmental Wind Tunnel and an anechoic chamber to go along with the already impressive list of capabilities which include an Emissions Lab; an Evaporative Emissions lab; a heat soak area, 4 post hydraulic rig and associated dyno and climate simulation facilities.

The wind tunnel and 4 post rig were of the most interest to me.

The wind tunnel:

- can produce a top wind speed of 250 km/h
- can vary temperature between -40 and +55 degrees
- can vary humidity from 10% to 95% relative humidity
- can simulate solar cycles between 600-1200W/square metre
- has a 48" 450kW 4WD dyno that can handle up to 300kW on the front and 600 kW on the rear rollers and 4500 kg per axle.

The four post rig (familiar equipment to Nascar enthusiasts) uses hydraulics to simulate a range of road conditions that allows accelerated suspension and damper testing. It simulates the torture tests that vehicles are subjected to on the test track with washboards, gutters, cobblestones and other tests designed to simulate the worst punishment we can dish out.

The second part of the day was dedicated to driving a range of current models around the ride and handling loop - a reasonably short track but with a good mix of sharp, dual apex and constant radius corners.

For me, there was a few surprises both good and bad.

On the good side:

..the Ranger Wildtrack was a much better performing and handling vehicle than I would have given it credit for being. Nice turn in, decent torque and it responded well to driver inputs. That it then went through the wading pond (600mm deep although it is capable of 800mm) without missing a beat was equally impressive;

.. likewise, the Focus diesel was an eye-opener. I expected it to handle really well (which it does) but I didn't expect it to have as much get up and go as it did as it is a really lively and enjoyable drive;

.. the Territory continued to remind me why it as good a vehicle as it is - the handling is impressive, the performance from the diesel better than I expected and it was the one that left me with the best impression as an all-rounder;

.. the Transit handled surprisingly well for what it is. Performance from the manual is reasonable but it is actually a solid handler despite the high centre of gravity and the fact that it isn't supposed to be a performance car;

.. all of the ecoboost equipped cars showed why this a great engine. In some of the cases today they weren't blessed with a transmission that allowed them to really shine (but maybe power-shift requires some familiarisation).

The real disappointment was the Kuga. It wallowed and floated around the circuit and didn't seem to have any real cohesion between the front and rear ends neither of which seemed connected to the steering. Performance was ok but it only meant that you were going to arrive at the limit of its dynamic capability that much quicker. In short, we should have waited for the new one.

The day concluded with rides around the high speed bowl (sorry constant radius circuit as it is apparently now called) in either a GT-P or Focus ST and rides around the ride and handling loop in another pair of the same vehicles.

All in all a nice way to spend the day. Thanks to all the team at Ford Media for making us feel we4lcome, Bob Graziano for taking the time out of a busy schedule to spend time with us and all the staff at the proving ground for taking the time to answer our silly question with a smile.

Cheers
Russ
I was one of the few that had this same experience yesterday - and rather than repeating exactly what Russ said - I'll just quote him!

The day was brilliant - more than I could have expected. The activities and events that I experienced yesterday will be a story I will continue to tell for many years to come.

I've not really been a huge fan of modern muscle - but after riding shotgun in the GT R-Spec yesterday, sliding through corners at 180km/h + and really 'feeling' what it could do - I am staggered.

To those who think that Ford is lying down or sitting on their hands - you are surely mistaken. They are doing more now than they've ever done with development, testing, and refinement of their cars.

And for what my opinion is worth - they're getting it right.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #20
Utefever
Starter Motor

Glad you folks enjoyed the day at YYPG.
It's an honour to be able to give something back to the "True Believers".

Andrew
Utefever is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #21
johnsmith

Thanks for the interesting write-up Russel.

Wow, is the ecoboost really faster than the I6 from 0-100? I know it weighs a little less, but it has considerably less power and torque. Was there a difference in tire condition or something else between the cars?

Any published 80-120 km/h accelertion figures comparing the I6 to the ecoboost?

Also, all the car magazines seem to rave about how the ecoboost is smoother / quieter than the I6.. how true is this from your experience?
johnsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #22
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The ecoboost definitely felt better off the line. I noticed it rev match downshifted and it was, overall, suprisingly smooth.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #23
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Yeah after driving the EcoBoost (and doing 0-100km/h testing as well) I was suitably impressed with the 4cyl Falcon. It even has an (albeit slight) turbo whistle - which I'm sure the tuners will exploit in the future.

We talked to the engineers and testers, who explained that they've done load-towing comparisons of the Eco vs I6 and there is NOTHING that the Eco can't do the same or better than the I6.

Not sure how to get the word out there - but the mentality that a 4cyl Falcon is a waste of time - is simply un-grounded and un-educated. If you're looking at a large sedan in the future - then go and test drive one.

My favorite drive all day was the All-Black Fiesta Manual 2-door hatch - thing ZOOMED!
I drove it 150km/h+ up the back straight, and it steered and braked well too! I'm not in the market for something like that (family with 4 kids here) but if you wanted something that was light on the pocket, fun to drive, sporty and unique, then the little Fiesta was a winner (I never thought i'd say that!)

Was also very happy with my 0-100km/h time (7.10) while our winner for the day was Kev (7.02) it was actually JP who got a 6.92 time (the V-Box had issues and not everyone could post a time).

I said this yesterday to some of the guests - if Groundhog day happened yesterday, I'd be pretty happy with that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #24
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

180kmh in an R-Spec thru corners??? What did that feel like?
Old 05-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #25
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
It LOOKED like this: NOTICE USE OF JESUS BARS

Old 05-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #26
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
Thanks for the interesting write-up Russel.

Wow, is the ecoboost really faster than the I6 from 0-100? I know it weighs a little less, but it has considerably less power and torque. Was there a difference in tire condition or something else between the cars?

Any published 80-120 km/h accelertion figures comparing the I6 to the ecoboost?

Also, all the car magazines seem to rave about how the ecoboost is smoother / quieter than the I6.. how true is this from your experience?
It certainly was under those conditions (about 19 deg and reasonably low humidity) - my time in the I6 was a 7.36 although I suspect the EcoLPI was very close to beating the Ecoboost.

It was also more refined - the object of the exercise was to show that they were almost impossible to pick apart and that was clearly the case. I picked the Ecoboost but only because it just kept going hard where the I6's were tapering off toward the end of the available running area.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 05-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #27
Bossxr8
Peter Car

[QUOTE=loftie;4542215]

We talked to the engineers and testers, who explained that they've done load-towing comparisons of the Eco vs I6 and there is NOTHING that the Eco can't do the same or better than the I6.

[QUOTE]

If thats the case why is the max tow weight of the Ecoboost at 1600kg when the I6 can tow 2300? Seems a bit odd.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #28
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
190klm in the Focus STI on the banked track wasn't to shabby either..

Old 05-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #29
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The blue GTP went 210+ on the banked loop in the rain. Eye widening.

The RSpec was quicker again down the back straight 4 up. Also ripped a few 160 kph power slides, again 4 up. . Just a great car.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:48 AM   #30
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie View Post
To those who think that Ford is lying down or sitting on their hands - you are surely mistaken. They are doing more now than they've ever done with development, testing, and refinement of their cars.

And for what my opinion is worth - they're getting it right.
Good to know. Thanks loftie.