Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-02-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
FORDavid

Arrow URGENT Help Needed Please...

Hi all, Just went with my wife to pick up some Nando's and when we pulled up and turned off the car the air con fans stayed on.

The car is a AU II Fairmont with the climate control.

I waited.... the fans didn't turn off. So I have tried to reset the climate control and nothing happened. On the way home I tried hitting the off button but the fans stay on and air keeps blowing out (always at a constant speed say 3 out of 10 - so if i switch the fans to 10 and then turn the control to off it keeps blowing at about 3)

Now i'm home i have disconnected the battery. BUT once i connected it back again the fans came on straight away.

WHAT DO I DO. Any help would be more than welcome.

Thanks in advance
Dave

FORDavid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

In the meantime? Take the fuse out. That way you can park at the shops without having to disconnect a battery.
I'd also say g'day to my local friendly auto-elec.

You northside or southside mate?
Old 02-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
FORDavid

hey mate, i'm southside. I don't know which fuse to pull. I noticed there is no fuse in the Heat/air conditionaer, EEC slot anyway (don't know if thats normal)

So i put one in (swiped from the Wiper slot) and it didn't help. I also pulled the Cooling Fans, ABS fuse and it didn't help.

Got any idea's even on which fuse to pull.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Not my air etc but identify the fuses you can then yank one at a time until you find the right one.
Sorry man best I can do before I crash for the night. Good luck.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Opps missed yuor yank attempt. Did you look in the tech docs section of the site?>
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #6
FORDavid

Update. I pulled the air con fuse from under the bonnett and it stopped. Off the an auto elect tomorrow. ahhhhh pain in the ***. Still haven't eaten my Nando's.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just replace the fuse,

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 12:00 AM   #8
FORDavid

I will try that first, but if the fuse was broken shouldn't the air con not work at all. My problem is it is not turning off.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #9
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it is one of those coloured fuse's from the fuse box under the dash you will be able to see if it is busted. The little hump of wire inside should be one piece if not then it was blown. If unsure check it against one of the fuses you know is good.

Rhys
Good Fuse

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 12:26 AM   #10
FORDavid

Its was a fuse under the bonnet like this

Old 03-02-2010, 01:31 AM   #11
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

If the fuse ain't blown, the fuse isn't causing the problem. The fuse completes the circuit.

Sorry, but looks like Mr eleckie going to be getting some dollars out of you to fix it. Bugger

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #12
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

your problem will be the fan speed controller. its in the side of the a/c box under the glove box. leaves and mositure get in and corrode the transitor on the back of it and it shorts out and the fan stays on. you can get it repaired it just needs the transitor replaced. i had mine done on the southside of brissy for 150 bucks.

it takes 10 min to get it out and about 2 days to get it fixed.

DO NOT PAY FOR A NEW UNIT!!!!!!!!! i went down this track with Ford and auto elecies. they will eat your wallet and ask for more.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #13
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Fan relay contacts fused together maybe, try to swap with another
AU1XLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #14
FORDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiers
your problem will be the fan speed controller. its in the side of the a/c box under the glove box. leaves and mositure get in and corrode the transitor on the back of it and it shorts out and the fan stays on. you can get it repaired it just needs the transitor replaced. i had mine done on the southside of brissy for 150 bucks.

it takes 10 min to get it out and about 2 days to get it fixed.

DO NOT PAY FOR A NEW UNIT!!!!!!!!! i went down this track with Ford and auto elecies. they will eat your wallet and ask for more.
Mate i think you were spot on. My mechanic said it was the same thing (after I told him about your post). Anyway so its about $450 new hahahahahaha. I think he has found one 2nd hand from a wreckers for me though.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:14 AM   #15
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDavid
Mate i think you were spot on. My mechanic said it was the same thing (after I told him about your post). Anyway so its about $450 new hahahahahaha. I think he has found one 2nd hand from a wreckers for me though.

be careful with a second hand one. it has to be from the same model. some wreckers will tell you one from a EF/EL will be ok, they are not! and when you get the old one out make sure you get a vacume in the hole to suck out the leaves and stuff, also spray a coat of clear lacqure on the transitor of the new unit. this will stop moisture.

if you get stuck PM me and i will get the name of the guy in Springwood for you.