Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
MAD
Petro-sexual

Default Cranbourne drivers among the worst

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/bre...-1226096681351

Quote:
LESS country drivers engage in key categories of dangerous driving than their counterparts on Melbourne's fringes.

Fewer drivers from Geelong, Bendigo, Ballarat and Shepparton were caught drink driving, speeding or driving while on the phone, than drivers in satellite suburbs such as Frankston, Cranbourne, Werribee or Narre Warren.

Victoria Police data rates drivers from Cranbourne and Narre Warren as particularly dangerous.

Cranbourne had the highest number of speeding drivers caught, 2030, and ranked in the top five for drink driving and mobile phone offences.

Of Victoria's regional centres, Ballarat drivers were the most likely to offend, ranking in the top 10 for both speeding and drink driving.

But drivers from Geelong and Shepparton did not feature in the top 10 in any category, while Bendigo ranked 10th in speeding.

Victoria's top traffic officer, Deputy Commissioner Kieran Walshe, says it was disappointing to see 11 areas cropping up in all three lists.

"Today I have a strong message for people living in the areas we are releasing today - you're on notice," Mr Walshe said.

"Cranbourne features in the top four of each of these lists and this absolutely unacceptable."

Mr Walshe said there was a connection between the regions listed across the three categories and the number of road fatalities in those places.

"The wider Casey area is the number two area most at risk for road trauma and these results prove that a lot of this has to do with the attitude of drivers in this area."

Police say they have a number of targeted traffic operations planned over coming months.

"The message from us today is that people in these areas need to change their attitude and change their behaviour," Mr Walshe said.

The police figures show driving offences between July 2009 to June 2010.
I personally would like to see the installation of traffic islands, or spike strips, to stop the idiots in this area from using the emergency lane (if you could call it that) as an extended left turn lane.
The article highlights attitude as a big problem, I could agree more.

I've lived in the area for 4 months, and so far I've had one person turn in front of me, one run up the back of me, and another side swiped a car at the end of our street just a couple of nights ago.

It's good to see that my own generalisation of the quality of driver in this area is being reflected in statistics.

Old 18-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
bafel

Default Re: Cranbourne drivers among the worst

Can't say I'm surprised. I lived in cranbourne north for 15 years and have seen it all.

However Casey would have to the most densely populated place outside of the city, and a lot of young drivers, so that would skew the figures somewhat.
bafel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Come to north QLD !!!!
There you will see some eye opening driving

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No different than any other suburb of Melbourne, and i have the joy of seeing all
"styles" of driving especially at night whilst i'm working.
There was a set of numerous black marks on the road in the main street a few weeks ago. Must of had some nerve as the police station is only 200m away.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

They missed Reservoir...Thursday afternoon on pension day is a TREAT!

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
LESS country drivers engage in key categories of dangerous driving than their counterparts on Melbourne's fringes..
I dunno. I think it's just because the country drivers don't get caught doing it due to less cops being around.

Every single time I go to Mudgee (every week) I see at least one hero do a burnout around the roundabout and up the main street during the middle of the day.
Or if they are not doing burnouts they will at least hit the rev limiter in the main street where most drivers doing 30km/h

It's very rare to see someone do a similar move in Newcastle.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.caradvice.com.au/128905/m...urbs-revealed/

Quote:
Melbourne’s worst driving offence suburbs revealed
By Tim Beissmann | July 18th, 2011

Melbourne’s worst driving offenders live in a troublesome group of suburbs that show signs of ‘attitudinal issues’, according to the Victoria’s top traffic cop.

A News Limited report reveals that 11 areas rank inside the top 20 for speeding, drink driving and using a mobile phone while driving.

As a result, Victoria Police is planning a series of blitzes, with a particular focus on some of the worst problem zones.

Cranbourne was the worst suburb, with the highest number of speeding offences and a top-four ranking for drink driving and mobile phone offences. A total of 2030 fines were issued in Cranbourne between July 1, 2009 and June 30, 2010.

Narre Warren ranked second for speeding, sixth for mobile phone use and seventh for drink driving.

Werribee was the worst offender for illegal mobile phone use (765 fines) while Frankston was the top drink-driving suburb (142 fines).

Berwick, Craigieburn, Hoppers Crossing, Glen Waverley, Dandenong, Deer Park and St Albans were other areas all ranking in the top 20 for the three crimes.

Victoria Police deputy commissioner, Kieren Walshe, said it was not surprising the same suburbs appeared in the statistics again and again.

“There is an attitudinal issue with residents in these postcodes,” Mr Walshe said.

He said drivers should expect a stronger police presence in a number of these suburbs throughout the second half of this year.

“You’re on notice,” Mr Walshe said.

Do you think more police on the streets of problem areas is the best approach, or should the effort be placed elsewhere? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

Speeding in Victoria:
Suburbs Number of speeding offences
Cranbourne 2030
Narre Warren 1846
Werribee 1686
Berwick 1614
Pakenham 1583
Craigieburn 1470
Ballarat 1451
Hoppers Crossing 1392
Frankston 1317
Bendigo 1309
Belmont/Highton 1263
Glen Waverley/Wheelers Hill 1244
Dandenong 1230
Melton 1195
Sydenham 1117
Deer Park/Cairnlea/Caroline Springs 1092
Warrnambool 1085
St Albans 1074
Sunbury 1018
Shepparton 915

Drink driving in Victoria:
Suburbs Number of drink driving offences
Frankston 142
Cranbourne 132
Hoppers Crossing 122
St Albans 119
Werribee 119
Ballarat 118
Narre Warren 113
Dandenong 103
Craigieburn 98
Sunshine 92
Reservoir 90
Noble Park 86
Glen Waverley/Wheelers Hill 82
Melton 81
Sunbury 81
Bendigo 80
Deer Park/Cairnlea/Caroline Springs 79
St Kilda 79
Sydenham 76
Berwick 76

Illegal mobile phone use in Victoria:
Suburbs Number of mobile phone while driving offences
Werribee 765
Deer Park/Cairnlea/Caroline Springs 631
Craigieburn 631
Cranbourne 607
Hoppers Crossing 597
Narre Warren 594
St Albans 591
Reservoir 591
Sydenham 582
Frankston 548
Dandenong 526
Glen Waverley/Wheelers Hill 503
Coburg 491
Berwick 490
St Kilda 467
Sunshine 432
Preston 414
Mordialloc 405
Keilor Downs 398
Richmond 398
Old 18-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
I dunno. I think it's just because the country drivers don't get caught doing it due to less cops being around.

Every single time I go to Mudgee (every week) I see at least one hero do a burnout around the roundabout and up the main street during the middle of the day.
Or if they are not doing burnouts they will at least hit the rev limiter in the main street where most drivers doing 30km/h

It's very rare to see someone do a similar move in Newcastle.
Thats the point I was going to make ..... these figures show how many have been caught in what suburb. Every night you here people having some fun going flat knackered in the Bayswater industrial areas but police presence is non existent. All the suburbs listed have had constant blitz's and I am sure with the same attention in other areas the figures would change.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
robertjp

dont laugh, in Monahans Rd Cranbourne, we live near where there is a speed camera and it sits there every second day and the wife got pinged going past it. Then on the way to excercises she got pinged in Camm's Rd 2 days later.
robertjp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Thats the point I was going to make ..... these figures show how many have been caught in what suburb. Every night you here people having some fun going flat knackered in the Bayswater industrial areas but police presence is non existent. All the suburbs listed have had constant blitz's and I am sure with the same attention in other areas the figures would change.
I dont think it's the number of offences captured in the area, I think it's the number of drivers caught that live in the post code.
Old 19-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #11
GUTLES
Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Thats what I was going to say too. Drive through Pakenham any time of the day & I'd be suprised if you didn't see a Police car with someone pulled over.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #12
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Doesn't Whoosha live out that way ?
Old 19-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #13
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More rubbish from the media. Police statistics are notoriously unreliable. They only record crimes that come to the attention of the police - ie. those irresponsible drivers who are caught. Naturally, fixed cameras and consistent police blitzes in certain suburbs are going to skew the stats. Doesn't mean it isn't going on out in the sticks, just that police aren't aware of it. They mentioned Highton/Belmont - coincidentally there are at least three fixed cameras out there on major intersections. It's a crock, basically.
Old 19-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #14
NudgE^SIKBRO
Never late with a V8

Well, I live in Carrum Downs, they have recently installed (a new mod for the hoons) a Police Station/Highway Patrol depot. Best thing they ever did, the added police presense in the area is fantastic, the burnouts in all the local streets have all but dissapeared, the VL-VX Commodores have vanished, streets are quiet with all but the subtle rumble of the genuinely tough cars (you know the ones the police leave alone). So, yes I think to aid in sorting out all these area's is more police...

(Daily)2004 Explorer V8 Limited
(Work) 2014 Kenworth K200 Aerodyne
(Classic) 1969 Mini K, 1340, twin SU's
The beginning is near!!!

Body by Ford. Soul by NudgE
NudgE^SIKBRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #15
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by NudgE^SIKBRO
Well, I live in Carrum Downs, they have recently installed (a new mod for the hoons) a Police Station/Highway Patrol depot. Best thing they ever did, the added police presense in the area is fantastic, the burnouts in all the local streets have all but dissapeared, the VL-VX Commodores have vanished, streets are quiet with all but the subtle rumble of the genuinely tough cars (you know the ones the police leave alone). So, yes I think to aid in sorting out all these area's is more police...
Interesting that you've seen it have that effect, because that police station is basically smoke and mirrors. All they did was pick up Frankston highway patrol and move the office to carrum downs. The staffing levels, amount of cars and area they cover didn't change in the slightest.
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #16
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Im surprised Sunbury isnt there...seriously the GM knuckle draggers in the area drive past Calder Park and must be possessed by the time they get home.

I heard this report on the radio, im sure the same answer could have been found without the effort made. Top 3 where Cranny, Franga and Werribie..who'd of thunk..hehe..jk
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #17
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjp
dont laugh, in Monahans Rd Cranbourne, we live near where there is a speed camera and it sits there every second day and the wife got pinged going past it. Then on the way to excercises she got pinged in Camm's Rd 2 days later.
Yeah i have seen that speed camera many times, funny they say cranbourne is the worst, about 3 - 5 years ago Tompsons Road/ south Gippsland hway (Cranbourne) didn't even have a Red light /speed camera then just recently they installed one (Toke them long enough) , i travel cranbourne many times to see my fiancée she lives in cranbourne, you can get away with anything in that suburb especially South Gippsland highway hoons use it a drag strip, I'm always careful when driving in that suburb.
Old 19-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #18
NudgE^SIKBRO
Never late with a V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3911
Interesting that you've seen it have that effect, because that police station is basically smoke and mirrors. All they did was pick up Frankston highway patrol and move the office to carrum downs. The staffing levels, amount of cars and area they cover didn't change in the slightest.
Smoke and mirrors work. Yesterday I was off work, everywhere i went in the local area I saw the same VE SS Grey Wagon, from 8.30am when I took the kids to school, went to the shops at lunch and again in the arvo, then at 3.30 when I went to pick up a Ute for a mate 3 of the 4 times it had somebody pulled over, for what I dont know or care but the point is, it was there!!!

WINNING

(Daily)2004 Explorer V8 Limited
(Work) 2014 Kenworth K200 Aerodyne
(Classic) 1969 Mini K, 1340, twin SU's
The beginning is near!!!

Body by Ford. Soul by NudgE
NudgE^SIKBRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #19
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3911
I guess they should have put a speed camera in...that would have fixed it.
Old 19-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #20
GUTLES
Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NudgE^SIKBRO
Smoke and mirrors work. Yesterday I was off work, everywhere i went in the local area I saw the same VE SS Grey Wagon, from 8.30am when I took the kids to school, went to the shops at lunch and again in the arvo, then at 3.30 when I went to pick up a Ute for a mate 3 of the 4 times it had somebody pulled over, for what I dont know or care but the point is, it was there!!!

WINNING
It does work, there's always a Green VE Wagon & a Brown VE SS getting around Pakenham with someone pulled over. There used to be a unmarked Blue VE SV6 Ute too, but haven't seen that in ages.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #21
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

But doesn't this just mean Crabnbourne is the area the police blitz the most. Im sure if the police blitzed say Toorak the same they would then be at the top of the list.

Geographic descrimination!
Old 23-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #22
distortion

WARNING! RANT IMMINENT!

Cranbourne - where I have moved to for a short while - is THE worst place I have ever had the unfortunate experience of driving in. I see way less police here than in other suburbs, but spend 5 minutes in the shops near bunnings/safeway, and you will wish you drove anywhere else.

If the police did a proper blitz on a saturday or friday near the intersection/carpark of bunnings/safeway, I would be my left nut that they would bring a record haul of underaged, unlicenced, unroadworthy drivers/cars. The number of off-their-heads drunk drivers around here is astonishing.

The police in Narre/Berwick/Cranbourne are pretty overwhelmed. Berwick is the number one suburb for family violence in Australia, and Cranbourne and Narre Warren have notoriously high crime rates also (large population).
distortion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #23
robertjp

you are correct with what you are saying, but if the camera operator worked on Saturday night in Monanhans rd, the cars that use this stretch of road as a drag strip is amazing. I like the sound of worked engines as next as the next guy, but in a suburban street where there are lots of kids is just Crazy!
robertjp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #24
MAD
Petro-sexual

The article doesn't stipulate either way, but I still think it sounds more like it's a collection of postcode data from offences state-wide. Not just the ones caught in the area.

I've only lived in Cranbourne for 4 months, but in that time I have only seen a cop car set up for radar twice (on sth gippy hwy in the driveway of the stone place after the tip) and one other in traffic. I only go past one fixed camera on sth gippy at Lynbrook and I've only seen the mobile camera set up once on sth gippy.

By the sound of what some are posting I should be getting pulled over every other day and constantly seeing blitzs around here.

I really don't think geographical discrimination is playing a part here.
Old 23-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #25
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to traverse to Cranbourne a lot, and still do here and there to see mates, but I have only seen 1 Police car in the main street and he was hammering it to go to some domestic possibly.

The problems I've had there are only:
Crappy VN/VR/VT/VX Commodores trying to drag you just cause you're a P plater as well, and will not leave you alone for bloody ages.

And the other problem is, although I do have a great amount of respect for truckies and their jobs, some of the truck drivers there are absolutely bonkers with how they drive their Semi's.

Oh also when I was young, I walked down to the shops at night a lot, and I do not know how I never got bashed, we got hassled by so many full car loads of rough idiots.
|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #26
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by distortion
WARNING! RANT IMMINENT!

Cranbourne - where I have moved to for a short while - is THE worst place I have ever had the unfortunate experience of driving in. I see way less police here than in other suburbs, but spend 5 minutes in the shops near bunnings/safeway, and you will wish you drove anywhere else.

If the police did a proper blitz on a saturday or friday near the intersection/carpark of bunnings/safeway, I would be my left nut that they would bring a record haul of underaged, unlicenced, unroadworthy drivers/cars. The number of off-their-heads drunk drivers around here is astonishing.

The police in Narre/Berwick/Cranbourne are pretty overwhelmed. Berwick is the number one suburb for family violence in Australia, and Cranbourne and Narre Warren have notoriously high crime rates also (large population).
How long have you lived in Cranbourne for? I can tell you as FACT that the police often do operations at South Gippy and Thompsons (The Bunnings intersection you mention) as well as further down at camms rd (Around the settlement, a lovely place it is indeed....). Further, the police presence - especially during peak - on the Westernport highway is fantastic. That road in particular is the border of three Highway patrol offices and almost always has a car patroling it.

Not to mention further afield in Casey, with frequent operations around fountain gate, heatherton rd, castellas in Berwick etc.

Get out more, Casey is HEAVILY policed. It has to be.....
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #27
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It isn't known as Crimebourne for no reason.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #28
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Doesn't Whoosha live out that way ?
Might explain his track times at Heathcote
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #29
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

One thing i don't get on this whole article they haven't said anything about my suburb Dandenong, Dandenong is much worse that Cranbourne imo, they should be in the top 2 not on par with berwick/Narre warren, they need to get their facts right.
Old 23-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #30
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
I dont think it's the number of offences captured in the area, I think it's the number of drivers caught that live in the post code.
Exactly right. I was listening to Neil Mitchell this week on the way to Uni, and he made a very good point in confirming this on air in an interview with some Plod representative.

It seems by these results the drivers in our lower to middle class suburbs are deficient in common sense on our roads. I for the life of me cannot understand how these correllate.

Theories?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post