Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-06-2006, 12:51 PM   #1
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Not happy Jan!

After my big dummy-spit about startup knock on my AUII 5.0L I changed the oil to Castrol 15W-40 (XR8-spec) and it quietened it down a fair bit. Still a bit of cold-start slap (120,000km). However I drove it again last night (my wife usually drives it) and I noticed that you can just hear a bit of a slap/knock when hot. Not happy. I was expecting that the old 5.0 would last a good 200,000km or more without major dramas. While it's not enough to warrant immediate inspection, I think I'll be squirrelling away pennies for a rebuild in the future ..
Rod.

OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 05:28 PM   #2
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

give any engine curry all the time and they don't last long , especially the bottom end bearings in the v8's imo . Bummer about the knocking , but i bet you have thrashed it enough times so far to warrant it though probably .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 10:00 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
give any engine curry all the time and they don't last long , especially the bottom end bearings in the v8's imo . Bummer about the knocking , but i bet you have thrashed it enough times so far to warrant it though probably .
A V8 is made to give curry all day every day - torque band is flat between around 2000 and 4000, and those revs should not be doing damage to the car at all. For example, mine is an ex NSW cop car, so was probably given a hiding, and the way I drive it is not too far different either. 150,000km and still going strong (touch wood).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 11:33 PM   #4
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
A V8 is made to give curry all day every day
lol , if you truelly give it curry heaps all the time it wont last long before it needs a rebuild , that goes for any engine , worked or not.

quote of the day "A V8 is made to give curry all day every day" ! ...lol

Old 02-06-2006, 11:37 PM   #5
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well id rather give a v8 curry all day than give an import 4cyl rice all day lol
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2006, 11:40 PM   #6
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
well id rather give a v8 curry all day than give an import 4cyl rice all day lol
Sheez yeah ! , me 2 , a decent 6 or an 8 , anything other than a 4 cylinder / jap mobile .

Old 02-06-2006, 11:49 PM   #7
xd5.8l
Banned

Same here 140,000. I get lifter rapping noise on start up (lifters a tad worn) for about 1 minute and piston slapping noise for up to 30 seconds. Still delivered the goods at CALDER with descent MPH. Shes going out to pasture now and with thicker oil can't see why it shouldn't last at least 200,000 km.
xd5.8l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 12:05 AM   #8
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

To be honest with ya , imo weather its a bit of slap in the pistons or worn bottom end bearings , bit of knocking yeah , but it aint gonna kill the engine or really effect your times noticably unless your running like a 10sec 1/4 mile car ! . I wouldn't even let it bother you at all unless it gets really loud/bad and starts to effect the performance too , which is very unlikelly - something else would probably snap and break before the bottom end fully gave out anyways , then worry about it then while doing a rebuild .

Old 03-06-2006, 12:36 AM   #9
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know its not what you want to hear but i just read this on a website

Quote from carpoint:
The imported V8 was subject to lapses in quality, exacerbated by stockpiling after Windsor production ended. Check for rattly lifters, dropped valves and bore distortion and premature oil-burning. In later XR8 and T-series models, the V8 also suffered chronic fuel starvation under hard acceleration for which there now should be a fix.
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 12:47 AM   #10
xd5.8l
Banned

That mostly applies to the 185 kw series 1 XR8 and base model 175kw motor because they were just bolted into the cars unlike AU 2+3 tickies.
xd5.8l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 12:54 AM   #11
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
After my big dummy-spit about startup knock on my AUII 5.0L I changed the oil to Castrol 15W-40 (XR8-spec) and it quietened it down a fair bit. Still a bit of cold-start slap (120,000km). However I drove it again last night (my wife usually drives it) and I noticed that you can just hear a bit of a slap/knock when hot. Not happy. I was expecting that the old 5.0 would last a good 200,000km or more without major dramas. While it's not enough to warrant immediate inspection, I think I'll be squirrelling away pennies for a rebuild in the future ..
Rod.
Boy and i thought our NC Fairlane had problem with 530,475km on the clock. All we get first thing in the morning is a little lifter noise.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 09:58 AM   #12
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd5.8l
That mostly applies to the 185 kw series 1 XR8 and base model 175kw motor because they were just bolted into the cars unlike AU 2+3 tickies.
Yep .. and that's what mine is .. 175kw in XL ute. BTW: It never gets rev'd over 4500rpm .. the worst it gets is towing stuff (eg. cars on trailers). I'm still happy with the ute and it probably makes economic sense to jus rebuild the shortblock (at least) when the time requires. Just disappointed that I've got a 1969 AMC V8s in my Javelin that's done 130,000miles unopened and other than the rear main seal leak still goes fine .. and an '01 engine which makes worse noises ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 10:46 AM   #13
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine has never run quiet since new and every ford dealer I saw said thats the way they are its the overlap in the cam and the ticking is the valve operation resonating through the extractors (they sure get the excuses good). But funny enough I built plenty of clevelands that ran quiet.
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 05:16 PM   #14
Blanchy4
The Dok's Big Bro.

I had an AU 1 XLS 5ltr Ute from Brand New and drove it hard all the time, including long distance runs and loaded up the rear with heavy redgum wood in winter during the 5 years i had it. 260,000 kilometres and never touched the engine from day 1 with regular servicing. It is still around my area as a tradey ute and he is happy with it.
I have a BA XR6 Ute now and it has only 70,000 ks and i hate it. More rattles than a babies cot.
I still have the flanged dual exhaust of that Ute with dual MOROSO POLISHED S/S Mufflers,which i am selling if interested for $300.Designed to come out the rear on each corner.