Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Magee

Default Panel Dented after Dealer Service

Just had the 15,000 km service on my G6E on Thursday and noticed today that there is a small dent on the driver side front guard. Picture is attached but it is hard to photograph due to reflection. I will take it back to the dealer on Monday but I interested if anyone else has ever had a similar dent in the front guards after servicing and whether the dealer has ever accepted responsibility.

I wash my car regularly and the last time was 2 weeks ago and the dent was not there. Also the damage looks similar to dents after hailstorms so I am sure something has been dropped on the guard.

Last edited by Magee; 20-03-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Magee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Panel Dented after Dealer Service

Hey,

Its a tough one to prove. Once you have left the dealerships ground they can use any excuse to not accept responsibility. Even if you noticed it 5mins later after leaving an went back they could say you must of done it or parked it somewhere or it wasnt there when you left etc etc.

Not saying that this will happen but it could. Working for a Ford Dealer i understand how "we" would see it. But in saying that when i have damaged a customers car i report it to my supervisor straight away and accept responsibility. I would hate it to happen to me so i act as if the car is mine so to speak and know how i would feel if they tried to get away with it etc.

Unfortunately not all dealers are the same, an more importantly not all staff are the same.

I hope you have success with it if you are sure it happened when your vehicle was in their care.

[B]2000 AU2 Fairmont Wagon - Congo Green
Factory Smart Bullbar, Hayman Reese Heavy Duty 2300kg Towpack and Front and Rear Mudflaps.
zlcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
BHDOGS
Banned

You haven't got a hope of them taking responsibility
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

I had to have an engine replaced under warranty and while there someone backed into the car. The dealership owned up, the damage was very minor (they said just the number plate was damaged) but when I went to replace the number plate, the bumper was damaged. I tore strips off them and made them replace the bumper.

Be firm with them and get them to fix their damage.

They are happy to charge in the region of $100 per hour for their skill, care and expertise but all too often all they do is demonstrate they have none.

Good luck.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Magee

Thanks for the replies. I agree that my chances of getting them to fix it are slim. l hope that they take into consideration that I have been loyal customer getting my previous 2 Fords serviced there from new. I will be taking my previous old rego papers with me in case they have short memories.
Old 21-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The "service advisor" at the dealer I go to (not Ford) walks you around the car at drop-off and then at pick-up. Takes us thirty seconds, and there is no dispute. Under the bonnet's another story, so it's worth a look there as well before you leave.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
05_ENFORCER

Sorry Magee, you have no ground to stand on.

When I used to have my vehicles service by Ford I would have one of the service gymps come with me to visually look over the vehicle noting on the service sheet that there was no previous damage...........................after the bastards dented my passenger side fender back in 2005.

NEVER again, will I return to THAT dealership................

Old 21-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not sure if your chances are "slim, it all depends on the service manager and the dealer principle.

I've found a couple of dealerships, well I should say dealer managers, albeit 100 Km's from where I live, (locals were ******,) who were very good when I had major dramas with warranty issues.

some are good, some are bad.......go in with a smile and a good attitude, explain the situation in a calm, friendly manner, explain you are more than happy with the service but you have found this small problem........ You may be very pleased with the outcome.

we should all "inspect" our vehicle thoroughly before we sign anything and take possession but hindsight is always 20/20.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No chance of getting them to fix it as too much time has elapsed since the alleged incident
I would ring one of them paintless dent removal guys
Will cost you 60-70 bucks but at least it will be fixed instantly
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

No chance, sorry mate :(

Just take it on the chin and choose your service centre more carefully in future.
Lucky for you that dent should come out ok by paintless dent removal system as its in an easy to reach spot.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
strik9
aka fpv747

good luck,
my missus picked her car up with a cracked windscreen and she noticed before she left. there was even loose gravel on the road as it was being resurfaced . nope you signed this when you dropped the car off, even if it happened on a test drive we are,nt accountable .

then went on to say if we fixed every broken windscreen that got chipped on a test drive we wouldnt be in business . hate to think how they would explain a dint away.
but all the best go your hardest for sure.
strik9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #12
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

slap some bog in it and buff it up good as new......
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #13
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

picture this,,you go to a car park,,you get there early,,no other cars around,and when you come back there are 7 other cars the exact same as yours,,normally you would just bend over and read the number plate to find yours but dew to your sore back you cant,,or hit the remote to open your door,,but cant because of a flat battery in your remote,,so next best thing,,look for the car with the tiny dent in the front guard
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #14
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune blue View Post
No chance of getting them to fix it as too much time has elapsed since the alleged incident
I would ring one of them paintless dent removal guys
Will cost you 60-70 bucks but at least it will be fixed instantly
The cost would be $150+ for a top job I paid $200 for PDR on my wife’s 2011 Mazda 3 driver’s side rear door because some inconsiderate individual dented her car at Eastland Ringwood

Last edited by buickman; 10-08-2014 at 02:31 PM.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #15
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Happened to me. The dealer said prove it.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #16
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Recently picked up my car with a cracked windscreen.....luckily for me the guy that I bought the car off at the dealership drove the car into into the service area and he confirmed that it was not cracked when he drove it in. The service area tried to argue that the damage may have been done earlier (which is quite possible) and the crack appeared whilst they were test driving the car. Anyway they have agreed to replace the windscreen.
Mulga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It costs nothing to try, another vote for poppa's idea, speak th the service guy and tell him what has happened. ............... these things occur from time to time , they will have someone to fix accidental damage, if they are a decent mob they will do the right thing.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #18
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

This has happened to me a few times now. Every time I have found damage the best I got was a 'sorry... but it's only a Festiva'.. (last time I used them to 'service' my car) and the worst I got was a point blank denial and the whole workshop of guys crowding around the car saying they it wasn't them in a very intimidating manner.

Funny thing was, I didn't tell them where the dent was, yet 3 of them went straight to the spot and rubbed it with their finger. Of course, they knew nothing about it.. sure.

On Ford service dept did call to own up to damage they 'may' have caused to my Focus and repaired the section prior to my collection.

If you have hostory with that service centre they will be foolish to lose a customer over a small dent like that, having said that, if you have been a pain in the past they will be glad to lose your business.

Perhaps compromise on splitting the repair bill?? Perhaps a discount on the next service?? They will have their own PDR people who will give a better price to them when they do a few cars at a time.

If you need to go it alone, scan some forums for other happy customers in your area. A guy did my Focus and got out 2 decent dents (20c size) and 1 smaller dent (5c size) for $100.

For a while I resorted to taking a video of my car prior to dropping it off as I was sick to death of the attitude some workers had... I now do a walk around prior to paying for it, and will insist that they do that with me prior to dropping off the new car. I know I will be seen as a pain in the **** but that may save me an argument when I collect as to what was or wasn't there prior to my drop off.

Good luck!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #19
Spurious

I had a similar experience when I dropped my car at an auto repairer for new ball joints & 2 new tyres.

I made a point of walking the mechanic around the vehicle & told him that my rims were newish (about 9 months) & there's not a mark on them. I made it clear, VERY clear that I wanted them back that way.

So anyhow the mechanic under quoted the cost & time involved in doing the ball joints & I wound up spending 5 hours in the workshop stripping & refitting the suspension.

As soon as I arrived to help out I noticed that the new tyres were fitted, rims were still on the shop floor waiting to go on. Both rims had been gouged to buggery on the tyre fitting machine. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

I called the mechanic to look & he new straight away it was his guy in the other dept' that did it 'cause I went to the trouble of the "walk around chat' when I dropped the car off.

The tyre fitter owned up to it & supposedly took responsibilty on the spot. Next day was a different story though.
I fronted the guy & simply said "I want 2 new rims thanks" (I hadn't paid for the new tyres yet either).
His response "you'd like that wouldn't you". You're damn right I would!
A noticeable change in his attitude overnight. He rang his boss who suggested they send the rims off to be repaired, taking maybe 2/3 weeks. The tyre fitter said he had a mate who had some stock ford rims so the next time he "drops by" he'll arrange for some.
I said NO, not good enough. I want new rims, not repaired rims!

I didn't want to wait either. I absolutely detest being subjected to someone else's screw up. In the end I paid cost price for the tyres & went & bought 2 new rims at my own expense.

I later found out that the tyre fitter ended up in the shitte & got fired! He had been doing vehicle services on his mates cars for free & booking up parts on the store account. Plus the services were done in an area of the workshop not meant for this work. I still go to the same workshop, especially after finding out that they're not all incompetent.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #20
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

You can see the good will from home grown car companies ..
Ive bought overseas brands and I havn't had any issues..
I all comes down to customer care ..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #21
XHBrad

I wait while they service my hilux, and before I sign the docket I check it over making sure everything is all good.. I do all other work myself part from logbook servicing for warranty. I don't see the pint paying over $100 an hour labour for someone who is less competent than me to do a half cocked job I can do better myself for nothing..

Good luck with sorting something out with the dealership, if they want to keep business they'll help you out.. Just let them know, bad word spreads quicker than good word they will pull there heads in..
97 EL Ghia auto luxury, on it's guts
94 ED Futura 5 speed tucking with exhaust
97 XH ute, 5 speed with P-Plate spec exhaust
98 AU1 forte AU gheyness
XHBrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #22
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlivverFord View Post
I had a similar experience when I dropped my car at an auto repairer for new ball joints & 2 new tyres.

I made a point of walking the mechanic around the vehicle & told him that my rims were newish (about 9 months) & there's not a mark on them. I made it clear, VERY clear that I wanted them back that way.

So anyhow the mechanic under quoted the cost & time involved in doing the ball joints & I wound up spending 5 hours in the workshop stripping & refitting the suspension.

As soon as I arrived to help out I noticed that the new tyres were fitted, rims were still on the shop floor waiting to go on. Both rims had been gouged to buggery on the tyre fitting machine. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

I called the mechanic to look & he new straight away it was his guy in the other dept' that did it 'cause I went to the trouble of the "walk around chat' when I dropped the car off.

The tyre fitter owned up to it & supposedly took responsibilty on the spot. Next day was a different story though.
I fronted the guy & simply said "I want 2 new rims thanks" (I hadn't paid for the new tyres yet either).
His response "you'd like that wouldn't you". You're damn right I would!
A noticeable change in his attitude overnight. He rang his boss who suggested they send the rims off to be repaired, taking maybe 2/3 weeks. The tyre fitter said he had a mate who had some stock ford rims so the next time he "drops by" he'll arrange for some.
I said NO, not good enough. I want new rims, not repaired rims!

I didn't want to wait either. I absolutely detest being subjected to someone else's screw up. In the end I paid cost price for the tyres & went & bought 2 new rims at my own expense.

I later found out that the tyre fitter ended up in the shitte & got fired! He had been doing vehicle services on his mates cars for free & booking up parts on the store account. Plus the services were done in an area of the workshop not meant for this work. I still go to the same workshop, especially after finding out that they're not all incompetent.
is this the same 10yo bomb you were smashing them for warranty on 10yo ball joints

pushing them for rims replaced with new on 10yo bomb..

im sorta like this....

and nice work, you never **** up

you walk tall amongst midgets

Last edited by pottery beige; 22-12-2013 at 04:15 PM.
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #23
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Back to the OP, if you are not 100% certain the dent happened at the dealers, you can't hold them responsible for the dent.

Then there's the matter of proving it to them that it was done there....
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #24
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Even if you saw then put the dent there they would still do a Bart Simpson.
Old 23-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #25
martyal44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back to the OP and his photo to me it looks really obvious that some workshop tool and or part was dropped on it, and not a carpark dent, so the OP can only go back and negotiate about it, surely they might want his continued business??!
martyal44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #26
Magee

Default Re: Panel Dented after Dealer Service- Good Outcome

Well it must be Christmas. Dropped round to my Ford Dealer this morning and showed them the damage. After checking with the Service Manager they have agreed to repair the damage. As the previous poster noted it was obvious that a tool had been dropped and they didn't even argue.

I have to agree with Poppa Smurf after this one "Smiles get you miles"

Merry Christmas Everyone and thank for your comments.
Old 23-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #27
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Panel Dented after Dealer Service- Good Outcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magee View Post
Well it must be Christmas. Dropped round to my Ford Dealer this morning and showed them the damage. After checking with the Service Manager they have agreed to repair the damage. As the previous poster noted it was obvious that a tool had been dropped and they didn't even argue.

I have to agree with Poppa Smurf after this one "Smiles get you miles"

Merry Christmas Everyone and thank for your comments.

mate a bloody big well done on this one, after reading all the negatives and my wife reminding me about all that I went through I had let doubt seep in.

these things appear minor to "ordinary" folk but to us "car guy's" it is huge.

merry xmas right back at you and yours from me and mine, it will be that little bit better for you now.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #28
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Time to give the Dealer a wrap....they get a flogging most other times.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #29
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Yep we like to name and shame, time for the opposite here.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #30
Magee

Happy to give the Dealer a good wrap. It is Sterling Ford in Bundoora. They have already rung back to confirm the booking with the dent repair guy.