Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
Byooty

Default Ford are no worse and no better than the rest of them.

Ford are no worse and no better than the rest of them.

I bought my 5.4l F250 from a Ford dealer new in 2002, cost me $65000+ and until this day never treated it badly.

25000 kms or two years into owning her a spark plug blew out.....wtf?
As you do when you have a problem you turn to Dr Google.........the page lit up with thousands of other having the same problem, there is (was) a class action going on in California about the very same issue.

Ford knew about this issue with the 5.4l motors way back in 1996 but failed to act on it, they were prolly hoping the issue would just go away.
Turned out to a manufacturing fault with the heads and the spark plug going tight on two turns but never actually seating on the washer.

Ford flew out from the US two new improved replacement heads and fitted them under warranty.

Old 24-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Ford are no worse and no better than the rest of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byooty View Post
Ford are no worse and no better than the rest of them.

I bought my 5.4l F250 from a Ford dealer new in 2002, cost me $65000+ and until this day never treated it badly.

25000 kms or two years into owning her a spark plug blew out.....wtf?
As you do when you have a problem you turn to Dr Google.........the page lit up with thousands of other having the same problem, there is (was) a class action going on in California about the very same issue.

Ford knew about this issue with the 5.4l motors way back in 1996 but failed to act on it, they were prolly hoping the issue would just go away.
Turned out to a manufacturing fault with the heads and the spark plug going tight on two turns but never actually seating on the washer.

Ford flew out from the US two new improved replacement heads and fitted them under warranty.
The main difference is that the spark plug threads are now next to the electrode where as the pre 2008 heads
had an extended electrode nose which carbons up and jambs up breaking the plugs when you try to remove them.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
Byooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
The main difference is that the spark plug threads are now next to the electrode where as the pre 2008 heads
had an extended electrode nose which carbons up and jambs up breaking the plugs when you try to remove them.

Ive seen the youtube vids with all the hassle of removing the plugs where you need specialized tools.........totally unacceptable.....
Old 24-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have'nt you ever heard the story about the old F 150's breaking steering box shafts......Steering TOTALLY lost while driving lol! Well that's what I have been told....

My uncle has a new F250 like yours......Within a month he got a front flat tyre.....Went to tyre shop and they couldn't supply new tyre because the size was U.S only size lol......Had to wait for Ford dealer to get one in!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
Byooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
My uncle has a new F250 like yours......Within a month he got a front flat tyre.....Went to tyre shop and they couldn't supply new tyre because the size was U.S only size lol......Had to wait for Ford dealer to get one in!

Bull ****.

Last edited by AU1XLS; 24-12-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Byooty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my uncle had an F250 on LPG, it caught fire at a set of lights, then blew apart and scared everyone and killed some puppies
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
my uncle had an F250 on LPG, it caught fire at a set of lights, then blew apart and scared everyone and killed some puppies
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
Bloody LPG lol! Feel sorry for the puppies too !
Old 24-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just put the spark plug back in??
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Ive seen the youtube vids with all the hassle of removing the plugs where you need specialized tools.........totally unacceptable.....
Guys in the 5.4 3V forums have all the good oil on fixes, solution has been known about for years,
it only affects 3V engines from 2002 to 2008, after that the heads were changed to fix the problem.
The early plugs were two piece that broke, later ones are stronger one piece units, tools are easy enough to source.

There are still americans sooking on about this **** years after the fixes have been out there.....Bloody unbelievable.

Last edited by AU1XLS; 24-12-2013 at 09:31 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
Buy diesel F series, no spark plug problems
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
Byooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
The thread was stripped.
Old 25-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
Rockape
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pottery beige I love reading your posts.

Kawasaki ZZR1100
Rockape is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #14
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The thread was stripped.
Great point..... Smash it back in with a hammer lol!
Old 26-12-2013, 06:09 AM   #15
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interestingly, at least in Vegas and southern Nevada as we drove around, we didn't see that many Ford F-trucks. Traffic and parking lots were chockers with Dodge Rams and Chev trucks (no surprise given the cheap prices and great deals we heard on the radio for, especially, Dodge), but honestly you see more F250's and the like driving around traffic here in Australia than we saw over there.
However, it seemed like every service truck at Mccarren airport was a Ford F-truck of various sizes, and municipal government vehicles (power, water, etc) seemed to be all F trucks as well, but private ones were very thin on the ground.

I also mentioned to a dealer when we went for a quick squiz at a big car yard that his dirt cheap work trucks, when converted and sold in Australia, sold for up near a hundred grand (or more), and he nearly fell over laughing after I convinced him I wasn't pulling his leg...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post