Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Suzuki Kizashi VW Partnership

Suzuki Kizashi to seed more cars
By Paul GoverHerald Sun20 May 2010
A family of mid-sized cars will eventually grow from the all-new Suzuki Kizashi sedan which has just landed in Australia.

A sporty wagon is likely to be first, tapping the style and shape of a Kizashi concept car first shown in Frankfurt three years ago, with a coupe also on the planning program.

An all-wheel drive Kizashi is already in the works and approved for Australia and there could be a V6 engine to suit American buyers, although Suzuki is also believed to be examining the potential for a turbocharged four. There is also a petrol-electric hybrid close to a production sign-off, first for the USA in 2011 but also likely for Australia.

"We have an idea in mind for another body style for Kizashi," admits Masaaki Kato, Oceania marketing manager for Suzuki. "It is not something we can discuss yet, but we are working."

Kato admits the global financial crisis has hit hard at the Kizashi program, cutting sales forecasts from 200,000-plus to around 80,000 cars in the first year and reducing the money available for future model developments. But Kato says the Kizashi family will definitely grow and there will be mechanical upgrades to a car which is crucial to the company's future.

"We will have more for Kizashi in a couple of years," he says, without providing any detail. But an on-sale date in 2012 means Suzuki has already completed the next stage of the program, as it takes around two years to go from a design sign-off to full-scale production, and that points to a station wagon as Kato admits the sales potential for a coupe is limited and would only give a short-term boost to Kizashi.

Suzuki Australia is confident an all-wheel drive Kizashi - using similar components to its SX4 models - will do well in Australia but does not have a timetable. "When it's available we'll consider it. We're not ready and it hasn't been made available to us yet," says Tony Devers, general manager of Suzuki Australia. And the station wagon? "Not in the foreseeable future," he says.

Suzuki's new partnership with Volkswagen Group, which has taken a minority stake in the Japanese company, is likely to open many doors on the technical front including access to a V6 engine. But no-one knows the detail yet on the tie-up or the potential for a V6.

"It's still early days. No-one really knows how it's going to work," says Devers. "A V6 was initially reviewed, but it's not available to us at the moment."

It's a similar story for a diesel engine, even though Suzuki has big plans for the Kizashi in Europe. "They are studying but the diesel segment is quite small," says Devers.

Old 25-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Test drove one on the weekend - very impressed with the quality and overall fitout. In drives better than a MAZDA 6 and HONDA EURO - feels more refined.

It lacks the grunt of the MAZDA and the HONDA but is definitely smoother and handles MUCH better. It is also smaller than the MAZDA. The XLS that I drove had the sunroof - I had to lower the seat all the way down to ensure I wouldn't hit my head on the roof lining. With the sunroof option - rear passengers over 5'10 - 5'11 will be close to the roof. I'm 5'10 and I was on the verge for comfortable headroom in the rear.

The Jetta is similar overall dynamically - but much stronger engine - but doesn't look or ride as nice. In fact - this car looks sensational from certain angles. And the Jetta is considerably more for similar spec as the KIZASHI XLS.

I am thinking of buying one. This car looks to have the goods.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Better than the Mondeo Titanium ?
Old 25-05-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Better than the Mondeo Titanium ?
Didn't test drive the Mondeo - For the record I like the Mondeo but wife is not sold on the look of it.
RRP for KIZAHI is bang on 40K Drive away. Dealer will go to 38K easy. What is the RRP for the Mondeo titanium ??
Old 25-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I too am impressed with the look and list of features of the Suzuki. Will be interested to see what motor options they bring in the future. A TDI version wouldn't go astray.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
I too am impressed with the look and list of features of the Suzuki. Will be interested to see what motor options they bring in the future. A TDI version wouldn't go astray.
Possible V6 ( for AWD platform ) - or even a VW sourced 2.0 litre turbo variant. Petrol Hybrid is definitely on the list and may be available in the next 12-24 months.

As I stated , the 2.4 litre petrol CVT that I drove was OK - but was outgunned by MAZDA 2.5 and ACCORD 4 cylinder engines. KIZASHI 2.4 is more economical though....probably due to lower kerb weight. Still........MAZDA engine was coarsest of the lot and loaded with NVH issues ??? Expected more from MAZDA. ( Drove 2 different MAZDA 6's to be sure of this ) Accord was silky smooth but still thirstier.
Old 25-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Here is the Kizashi review as done by Car Advice.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/67145/su...izashi-review/

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 25-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Possible V6 ( for AWD platform ) - or even a VW sourced 2.0 litre turbo variant. Petrol Hybrid is definitely on the list and may be available in the next 12-24 months.

As I stated , the 2.4 litre petrol CVT that I drove was OK - but was outgunned by MAZDA 2.5 and ACCORD 4 cylinder engines. KIZASHI 2.4 is more economical though....probably due to lower kerb weight. Still........MAZDA engine was coarsest of the lot and loaded with NVH issues ??? Expected more from MAZDA. ( Drove 2 different MAZDA 6's to be sure of this ) Accord was silky smooth but still thirstier.

They are all fine cars your looking at, just curious as to why a Falcon is not on your list? As that money is in a optioned up XR6 or G6 LE territory. Not having a go, just would be interesting to hear what people in the market consider.

Last edited by Brazen; 25-05-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
They are all fine cars your looking at, just curious as to why a Falcon is not on your list? As that money is in a optioned up XR6 or G6 LE territory. Not having a go, just would be interesting to hear what people in the market consider.

Already have a BFGT so we were looking for something much smaller , MUCH more economical , stylish and brand new. This second car will do the school runs - plenty of cruising - lots of city driving.

Looking at something small and easy to park - can still carry 4 adults if required - super good economy and also plenty of luxury and mod cons.

SUZUKI fits the bill at the moment. VW Jetta is probably a better car ? but it is more expensive. Suzuki is at around 38K drive away with negotiations. And that will include a Factory 5 year warranty. That's a $1400 addition on the Jetta on top of a mid 40K price tag.

Mondeo was off the list as it is a larger car / more similar to Mazda 6 hatch..and to be honest we had some interesting discussions on the way it looks. I like it..wife doesn't.....and it will be her car !!!!!!!!

Kizashi XLS has tons of features and it drove extremely well.......we were very surprised. Apart from the engine lacking grunt........it drove better than MAZDA and HONDA.....and with expected economy anywhere between 6L and 9L per 100KLM........it just kinda fits the bill.

Boot space was exceptional for a mid sized car and with the factory 18"wheels it looks kinda cool as well.

We will be seriously considering this car in the coming weeks. All reviews so far are pretty good and our own drive experience echoed this.......just still trying to get passed the badge and we'll see how it goes.

Would like to consider an AUDI A4......but pricing is out of budget.......and to be honest, not sure if its a better car than Jetta ??..........and after driving my brother in laws Jetta for a while.........KIZASHI is right on par with both in many areas.
Old 25-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #10
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Already have a BFGT so we were looking for something much smaller , MUCH more economical , stylish and brand new. This second car will do the school runs - plenty of cruising - lots of city driving.

Looking at something small and easy to park - can still carry 4 adults if required - super good economy and also plenty of luxury and mod cons.

SUZUKI fits the bill at the moment. VW Jetta is probably a better car ? but it is more expensive. Suzuki is at around 38K drive away with negotiations. And that will include a Factory 5 year warranty. That's a $1400 addition on the Jetta on top of a mid 40K price tag.

Mondeo was off the list as it is a larger car / more similar to Mazda 6 hatch..and to be honest we had some interesting discussions on the way it looks. I like it..wife doesn't.....and it will be her car !!!!!!!!

Kizashi XLS has tons of features and it drove extremely well.......we were very surprised. Apart from the engine lacking grunt........it drove better than MAZDA and HONDA.....and with expected economy anywhere between 6L and 9L per 100KLM........it just kinda fits the bill.

Boot space was exceptional for a mid sized car and with the factory 18"wheels it looks kinda cool as well.

We will be seriously considering this car in the coming weeks. All reviews so far are pretty good and our own drive experience echoed this.......just still trying to get passed the badge and we'll see how it goes.

Would like to consider an AUDI A4......but pricing is out of budget.......and to be honest, not sure if its a better car than Jetta ??..........and after driving my brother in laws Jetta for a while.........KIZASHI is right on par with both in many areas.

The Suzuki I think would be very reliable over the long term. The XLS is especially well equipped, not many features you miss out in that package!
Old 26-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

The VW partnership has pushed GM's V6 out of view and looks like it might bring VW's sensational VR6 in with 6 speed DSG! Interesting times to come it seems...

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 08:12 PM   #12
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
The Suzuki I think would be very reliable over the long term. The XLS is especially well equipped, not many features you miss out in that package!
Test drove the XLS again for good measure.

Paid deposit and will be picking one up next week. Very impressed.
Rang my Insurance company to alert them to switch over the policy from current car to the new one for next week and they didn't even have it listed in the system............"ïs that a grey import sir......we do not have it listed in our system....I'll have to speak with my manager......at this point in time, we cannot switch the policy to something that does not exist...".........
Old 30-05-2010, 01:05 AM   #13
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AAMI have it listed
Old 30-05-2010, 12:37 PM   #14
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Test drove the XLS again for good measure.

Paid deposit and will be picking one up next week. Very impressed.
Rang my Insurance company to alert them to switch over the policy from current car to the new one for next week and they didn't even have it listed in the system............"ïs that a grey import sir......we do not have it listed in our system....I'll have to speak with my manager......at this point in time, we cannot switch the policy to something that does not exist...".........

Congratualtions! Should be a ripper car. Make sure you post photos and thoughts up when you get it.
Old 30-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #15
Rastas

A female friend of mine was looking for a new small to mid size car, she nearly bought a civic till i persuaded her to test drive a kisashi , needless to say she fell in love with it and has a silver XLS on order.
Rastas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #16
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Picked the car up this week ( white XLS ) and have done 300K so far. This is one great little car. Very nimble and handles exceptionally. The Rockford Fosgate AUDIO system sounds better than the BOSE system in the MAZDA 6.
Average economy so far ( mixed driving is around the 9L/100 - but still running in so expect this to drop )

The ride is a bit stiff at times - ( need to check tyre pressures ) but apart from that we are enjoying this car very much. Have not seen another one on the road yet - so we still feel kinda unique ) Will post up some pics later.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #17
blueoval
Critical Thinker

awesome work ESP. Looking forward to the pics

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 04-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #18
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

Congrats on the purchase. I'm a fan of this car.
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2010, 11:40 PM   #19
Rastas

Nice pick up ESP, my female friend also picked up her manual silver XLS today, very classy looking car for the price, though she isnt rapt with the kisashi name and has asked me to remove the kisashi badge LOL !
Rastas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #20
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastas
Nice pick up ESP, my female friend also picked up her manual silver XLS today, very classy looking car for the price, though she isnt rapt with the kisashi name and has asked me to remove the kisashi badge LOL !

OK - ours has done 1800 Klms so far and is averaging 600 Klm per tank. ( CVT auto - mixed driving ) - we expect this to get slightly better again as it gets more kays on board.

So far so good. This car is really fun to drive and very comfortable. The number of gizmos for the price range is brilliant. The 3 level heated seats and the HID lights are excellent. The quality of the leather is amazing - much better than I expected and on par from anything that AUDI or VW offer. The engine performance is also not too bad. It's a little laggy from standstill - but once on the move it's quite quick and very nimble.......the steering wheel paddle shift gears are a nice touch and allows you to hussle the car along pretty swiftly.

If anything - it sits quite high and could do with some dropped springs - but I have been warned by the BOSS that If I touch this car - I'll be wearing my hands as a necklace !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 28-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #21
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...ID=69705&vf=14

Its first comparison.
Old 28-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #22
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Yes , I would agree with most of that. In the end it just comes down to your individual preferences. If it wasn't the Kizashi for me.....my second pick would definitely have been the Jetta. Despite the overall praises for the MAZDA 6 - we didn't really like it that much after driving it several times. I tried hard to want to like it.......but just found it lacking overall. Fit and finish , noisy and a lot more NVH type issues.......not to mention the pricing when its optioned up to the same specs as the Jetta or Kizashi !
Old 28-06-2010, 11:51 PM   #23
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id go the Skoda Octaiva, myself...

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 09:55 AM   #24
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Didn't test drive the Mondeo - For the record I like the Mondeo but wife is not sold on the look of it.
RRP for KIZAHI is bang on 40K Drive away. Dealer will go to 38K easy. What is the RRP for the Mondeo titanium ??
Each to their own, however if I had 38-40 hard earned thousand, I'd had driven away from a Ford dealer with a G6, XR6 or Territory!

Glad you're happy with the purchase though.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #25
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Suzuki make some good cars and really are working on improving their image over here. Parts are also affordable when it comes time to service/repair. Mrs has a Suzuki Baleno and even I think it's a ripper car.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #26
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

I like the look of that and might have to so the missus as she is after a new car and the fact that they claim the handling and ride is good and tested it on the mountain roads that myself and partner drive almost every day just adds to its appeal

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #27
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Each to their own, however if I had 38-40 hard earned thousand, I'd had driven away from a Ford dealer with a G6, XR6 or Territory!

Glad you're happy with the purchase though.

GK
I already have a BFGT and on this round of purchase we were looking for something more nimble and easy to park. Not to mention around town fuel economy. The G6, XR6 or Territory just didn't fit the bill for us.

The Kizashi is quite small on the outside but surprisingly roomy on the inside. So far its quite frugal and compared to our brand new G6 which my parents just purchased - its getting around 100 Klm more per tank - with less fuel tank capacity. That's to be expected of course - but its what we were looking for this time round.

The G6 is certainly a beatiful car to drive - but having 2 monsters in the garage just didn't make sense for us.
Old 30-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #28
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
Id go the Skoda Octaiva, myself...
2010 Octavias specced up to the same as the KIZASHI are at least 5K more and don't come with the factory 5 year warranty that the Kizashi does.

The Skoda is a nice looking car though.
Old 30-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #29
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

piccies please, inside and out.;) Not pushy am I...

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #30
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I concur with Noddy

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8