Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #1
xr8driver

Default Sub in parcel shelf

Hi guys I've got an AU XR8 on LPG, so theres not much point putting a sub in the boot, and i know the premium sound has a 8" sub in the parcel shelf in some models, my question is what success have people have retrofitting sub in the parcel shelf? did it sound good? what brand they used and if anyone has fitted anything bigger than an 8"?

Just looking into possibilities for the future.

xr8driver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Can be done but cutting the shelf is a no no so you're limited to 8". Do you hve any room in front of the tank at all, i.e. between the tank and the seats? Pioneer and JVC make some shallow type subs designed for small spaces.
Old 13-08-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
xr8driver

yeah i knew i couldn't hack up my parcel shelf, just the ply on on top, i just thought there might be a 10" with a narrow enough magnet to go through or something, or the use of a spacer, thats why I'm asking, and i wouldn't be able to box it, though it would almost b like a box because of the tank.

id love photos and testimonials from people who have actually done it or heard a car with it done.

I'm just curious whether it just gonna be a waste of money for the sound i get.

thanks in advanced guys.
Old 13-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Is there a way to screw a spacer into the 8 inch screw pattern and then a larger sub into that?

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
AUIIISR

there is only the 8" hole on the parcel rack, ive made a bracket up to fit a 10" free air sub, the bracket mounts below the parcel rack with the existing screw holes and the sub sits in it, no holes and because its free air no MDF or wood and still leaves my boot space, im using a POLK sub
AUIIISR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
xr8driver

if your were using a spacer to use a bigger sub i don't think you would use the original screw holes
Old 13-08-2007, 04:50 PM   #7
xr8driver

AUIIISR id love pics and dimensions so i know if it'll clear, and does it sound good? coz i've heard sub in cabin's instead of boots and they sound dodgy?

I know whateva i get wont sound as good as my pioneer 12" i had in my VN, but im getting really depressed without a sub... lol
Old 13-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #8
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you make up a new parcell shelf out of some decent sized mdf you could get away with some brands of 10" subs
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 04:59 PM   #9
AUIIISR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKEENZ
AUIIISR id love pics and dimensions so i know if it'll clear, and does it sound good? coz i've heard sub in cabin's instead of boots and they sound dodgy?

I know whateva i get wont sound as good as my pioneer 12" i had in my VN, but im getting really depressed without a sub... lol
Yeah ill try measure it up for you, you have to use a free air sub, they are designed to be used without a box and will give you better sound, if you just use a normal sub they will move way to much and sound f"lappy"...

and I dont rate pioneer, just personal choice, I had 2 12" JBL Subs in my old falcon ratred at 250wrms but ran 400wrms 2ohm through them, no idea how amazing they sound right across the range
AUIIISR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 05:42 PM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

You won't fit a sub in the parcel shelf if you have the standard torpedo LPG tank sitting behind the rear seats. Thus is the setup I had on mine (AU XR8 also on LPG):

It worked better than not having a sub, but not as good as having a sub in the parcel shelf - sort of a compromise, I guess. I should mention that that sub was pretty good for a cheapy, but the amp blew in a week, so I ended up with an audiobahn monobloc in the end - much better, and quite good bass.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 06:04 PM   #11
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Had a 10 in sub in my T3 for years. Didnt cut the metel, so the hole was still 8in just made some 8 to 10 addapters, run it with a 300w amp & it worked a treat with the standard head unit. Did the same thing in the sons BA with great success...

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 06:15 PM   #12
stavros68

dont bother with free air ,put a box.Why dont you use the space in the right quarter panel,make a custom box to fit??remove the stacker and amp and put a box with a 12 sub , put the amp behind the rear seat and the stacker just in front of the lpg ,you will get heaps of bass in a box compared with a free air type
stavros68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 09:17 AM   #13
xr8driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavros68
dont bother with free air ,put a box.Why dont you use the space in the right quarter panel,make a custom box to fit??remove the stacker and amp and put a box with a 12 sub , put the amp behind the rear seat and the stacker just in front of the lpg ,you will get heaps of bass in a box compared with a free air type

Ive just heard that the bass doesn't travel through the LPG tank well.
Old 14-08-2007, 10:06 AM   #14
mr_xr8
Capri GT/TS50/GTR

i would just grab a jl audio 8inch w3v2 or w3v3 and run that great free air 8inch sub as long as its not under powered

TS50 Build
mr_xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 05:36 PM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_xr8
i would just grab a jl audio 8inch w3v2 or w3v3 and run that great free air 8inch sub as long as its not under powered
A sub will not fit in the factory hole with the gas tank there, unless you use a 2 or 3 inch spacer, which will mean it's sticking out like dog's balls.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #16
stavros68

Ive got a 12 soundstream in the right quarter with alpine amps and head unit ,focal rears and soundstream fronts as i couldnt fit the focals at the front , the bass that you will be getting is from the port [ex sub location] should have been,
stavros68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 06:55 PM   #17
phildee

My AU is on LPG and I've got a 12" Alpine with only 200w rms in a small sealed box (need to conserve some space) at the right hand side of the boot and the bass coming into the cabin is still amazing. There is less air space in the boot for the sub to compress which I think makes up for the fact that the tank is in the way.

I had a cheap kenwood 12" pointing directly in thru the boot before I had gas and this sounds just as good.

Cheers, Phil
phildee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 10:00 PM   #18
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKEENZ
Ive just heard that the bass doesn't travel through the LPG tank well.
I've got 2 12 inch pioneers and a Audiobahn monobloc in the boot.. all matching nicely with the gas tank..not.
If you can afford to lose the boot space do it. I havent had any troubles with bass not travelling into the cabin..BIG bass too... :

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2007, 08:00 AM   #19
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I've seen someone with the sub mounted on top of the parcel shelf hole facing down into the boot. It looked silly with the trim pushed up / a lump in it. But it might work?

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2007, 09:25 AM   #20
Gianz

I have changed mine to an upgrade 8 inch.but its only a back up for when i decide i need more boot space. so i run a 10 inch in a sealed box and when i need the extra space i use the 8 inch in the parcel shelf. it works quite well, but i definately recomend sound deadening the whole parcel shelf with some dynamat or equivalent, the quality of sound / difference is amazing.
Gianz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post