Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question What Was Fords Donation to Appeal ?

Apart from money, Holden donated 300 dunnydores. What did Ford donate ??

Old 13-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wonder if these people will want to give the cars back to Holden after the 12 months is up?

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/194...fire-recovery/

Ford has put a brand-new Mondeo XR5 Turbo up for bidding via Cricket Australia’s bushfire charity auction, with all proceeds going to the Red Cross’ bushfire appeal. The automaker has also donated 4 Ford Ranger 4×4s to the Country Fire Authority, and loaned them a further 20 cars for use in the recovery effort. Ford employees will also be passing around the hat to raise funds to assist with the cleanup process
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Nevermind it was covered in that link.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
wonder if these people will want to give the cars back to Holden after the 12 months is up?

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/194...fire-recovery/

Ford has put a brand-new Mondeo XR5 Turbo up for bidding via Cricket Australia’s bushfire charity auction, with all proceeds going to the Red Cross’ bushfire appeal. The automaker has also donated 4 Ford Ranger 4×4s to the Country Fire Authority, and loaned them a further 20 cars for use in the recovery effort. Ford employees will also be passing around the hat to raise funds to assist with the cleanup process
Thanks for that...They probably cann't wait to give them back quick enough !!!
Old 13-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Hyundai just tipped in 300k.
Old 13-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
Scott

I know it is small fry and probably equivalent to a rounding error but I am impressed that such a troubled industry is putting its hand in its pockets for this.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't want to be a called a saddist or mean (and for the record I did donate to the victorian fires) but it's all getting a little over the top about how many companies are now clamouring to throw their name about for the bushfire appeal.

By the end of today the appeal would have generated over $100m, and that's including the $10m grant by both the federal and victorian state government, which is a fantastic achievement -

However when you couple this with the likely payout from insurance companies and the like, I am starting to have serious concerns that the funds raised for the Victorian bushfires will become a bit of a cashcow for someone to abuse.

Hopefully if the additional funds raised for the bushfires are not required, then I hope some will be sent to the Qld Floods.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au

Hopefully if the additional funds raised for the bushfires are not required, then I hope some will be sent to the Qld Floods.
without intending to diminish how tragic and devastating the Vic bushfires have been , my concern is that there might also be a need for assistance in Qld due to the floods. We are a little in the dark as to what losses there are in Qld. I would have hoped the recent appeal was a "disaster relief" fund so allocations could be made to Qld if needed (with emphasis on "if needed" since I don't know what is required there).
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_R
without intending to diminish how tragic and devastating the Vic bushfires have been , my concern is that there might also be a need for assistance in Qld due to the floods. We are a little in the dark as to what losses there are in Qld. I would have hoped the recent appeal was a "disaster relief" fund so allocations could be made to Qld if needed (with emphasis on "if needed" since I don't know what is required there).
The fires in victoria, particularly the loss of lifes is signicantly worse than what the people up in Ingham have faced. I'm originally from Ingham and my parents still own two sugar cane farms just south of Ingham and another to the west. The flooding has probably caused them a significant loss of income, and the fact that the majority of farmers have been running at a loss for the past 8 years, the recent flooding is certainly not going to help. One of our farms completely flooded and I'd say there will be some pretty bad damage that needs to be fixed due to the high currents of water that pass through.

I do hope the relief money is used for the benefit of all people who have lost something (particularly in the fires) and prey it's used efficiently and compentently to get people back on their feet.
Old 13-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

Im unsure of how much money will have been rasied by the time they start spending, but I don't think there will be a huge amount left over. Every company and family are doing their bit and helping the way they know how. Insurance won't cover everything. some people didn't have insurance.
There is also the fact that there are whole towns to rebuild and restock. All burnt power lines and now undrinkable damn water.
If there is money left over in the end it would be good to see it go towards the QLD floods as well, but im certain that the money will be well spent and go towards well needed resources.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
I know it is small fry and probably equivalent to a rounding error but I am impressed that such a troubled industry is putting its hand in its pockets for this.
Me too! This whole economic crisis thing is bad, but if its wasn't for the media then people would be alot more optimistic.

I saw the Geelong footy players get up and announce that one of their major sponsors were about to give some money...it was NIB not Ford.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #12
Scott

Quote:
By the end of today the appeal would have generated over $100m, and that's including the $10m grant by both the federal and victorian state government, which is a fantastic achievement -

However when you couple this with the likely payout from insurance companies and the like, I am starting to have serious concerns that the funds raised for the Victorian bushfires will become a bit of a cashcow for someone to abuse.
Insurance cover will fall well short. My guess, on personal expenses only (house, car, contents, accom etc) is that this disaster will cost around $1bn. If 75% of that is covered by insurance, that leaves $250m required for people to get back on track.

The above makes no allowance for business, charity, clubs or any Govt assets that were destroyed too.

Throw into the mix that people need ongoing rehab and care, people need to arrange funerals, people won't be able to work because they have no clothes or transport and it is easily concievable that the shortfall could amount to between $500m & $1bn dollars.
Old 13-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #13
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Insurance cover will fall well short. My guess, on personal expenses only (house, car, contents, accom etc) is that this disaster will cost around $1bn. If 75% of that is covered by insurance, that leaves $250m required for people to get back on track.

The above makes no allowance for business, charity, clubs or any Govt assets that were destroyed too.

Throw into the mix that people need ongoing rehab and care, people need to arrange funerals, people won't be able to work because they have no clothes or transport and it is easily concievable that the shortfall could amount to between $500m & $1bn dollars.
It certainly is a big number to fathom though. Assuming 1,000 houses destroyed/families effected, $1bn would lead to $1m per household, and as you say not allowing for clubs & government assets
Old 13-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #14
Scott

Quote:
It certainly is a big number to fathom though. Assuming 1,000 houses destroyed/families effected, $1bn would lead to $1m per household, and as you say not allowing for clubs & government assets
So far, 1831 Houses destroyed. $30k to clear a block, $250k to rebuild (moddest), $100k contents, a guess at 5000 vehicles lost at an average of $15k = $770m.

Then add 7000 displaced people who need accom at (another guess) an average cost of $200pp/pw = $6m/mth for alternate accom.

Chuck in lots of hidden costs and $1bn is easy to come up with.
Old 13-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #15
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

GM USA also tipped in 100k USD and the local Holden dealer network has so far raised almost 200k that it will be donating...

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #16
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah just had a look and saw some insurance companies are estimating over $2b.
Old 13-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #17
gozza

Is there any figures on donations to the RSPCA?
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #18
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

It shouldn't take $30k to clear EACH block !!
It should be about $30k for each street block..
being that it's done on a major scale..
$30k X's 1831 is way too much..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #19
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
Is there any figures on donations to the RSPCA?
Would be interested to see that - I've donated to the RSPCA and the Red Cross.

Poor animals.. :(
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #20
gozza

Yes - It is a good thing. Not nearly enough coverage compared to the Red Cross
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 05:16 PM   #21
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
It shouldn't take $30k to clear EACH block !!
It should be about $30k for each street block..
being that it's done on a major scale..
$30k X's 1831 is way too much..
Just a guess, but regardless, prices will be through the roof. Mostly insurance claims and not enough dozers to go around.
Old 13-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #22
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_R
Or any of the other billions of people/organisations/charities/appeals that could do with the money.
Old 13-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #23
3vXT

I'll donate blood (I do anyway).
I wouldn't mind donating money to help with the initial costs or some other things, i.e emergency stuff in the days and weeks after but I'm not paying for peoples houses. To me, that should be up to the insurance companies or the people themselves if they were stupid enough to risk it.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 05:54 PM   #24
ebxr82nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As it's already been mentioned I hope the money is well spent, unlike the relief fund they set up for the earthquake here in newcastle in 1989. There's still over $10 million in the bank that doesn't ever look like being spent on anything worthwhile and that happend 20 years ago. Government red tape sucks ****!!
97 el futura MOCKed up with a 2500 stall, heaps of fun!
ebxr82nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #25
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr82nv
As it's already been mentioned I hope the money is well spent, unlike the relief fund they set up for the earthquake here in newcastle in 1989. There's still over $10 million in the bank that doesn't ever look like being spent on anything worthwhile and that happend 20 years ago. Government red tape sucks ****!!
A bit off topic, but I lived an hour away from Newcastle and felt that earthquake. I was 6 years old
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #26
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Just a guess, but regardless, prices will be through the roof. Mostly insurance claims and not enough dozers to go around.
Plenty of Dozers, excavators, tippers, you name it.....the construction/road building/demolition industry in Victoria is on its knees at the moment, I have mates with semi tippers and truck and dogs that have only worked a week since Christmas.

Some operators will be glad to have some work, but its VERY unfortunate that it takes such a terrible disaster to get people some work.
Old 13-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #27
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The company I work for has donated a mil, good to see since mining isn't doing too well lately.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 10:45 PM   #28
rodderz

There are a lot of guys in the excavation game that live in the affected area's, and I would imagine would help out as best they can.

One of dad's mates lives in Strathewan (lucky he got no damage) and has a small civil construction company and has already been up there loaning generators, and using tractors etc doing the cleanup. No doubt the tradies that all live up there will be all giving each other a chop out too
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 11:46 PM   #29
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Lets just hope the Tradies don't increase their prices due to the huge demand in services required - supply and demand

Some insurers include catastrophe cover - (to include the increase in trades and services due to increase in demand and not enough supply after a catastrophe)

AAMI don't insure your Home for a said amount and according to what is advertised they will replace your home no matter what it costs in a total loss.

Of course there will be the people who are under-insured as sometimes its hard to work out a value for your home and contents.

Then there will be the people who are un-insured but as per usual the Government will help them out even though they haven't paid their dues for many many years - No GST - No Stamp Duty and the one that counts in this Situation NO FIRE SERVICE LEVY which is the money that goes to the Metro and Country fire Authorities to help them survive

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.

Last edited by Sorted; 13-02-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #30
belvo

im preaty shore that for is looking after the red crosses cars and they donated like 300 car seats
belvo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post