Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up 2010 Ford Taurus SHO V AUDI V8

This is awesome performance from a V6 !!!
HOPEFULLY it will come here..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsWvK92HNpM

Old 12-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
This is awesome performance from a V6 !!!
HOPEFULLY it will come here..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsWvK92HNpM
it seems to be a great engine but i wonder how the rest of the car compares
Old 12-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hopefully, It doesn't come here.

It'd be the death of our own beloved turbo 6!

It's interesting to watch the presenter get suprised that a 6 cylinder whipped an 8 cylinder. Especially since its been happening here in Australia on a daily basis for the best part of a decade!
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
CFOUR
The Destroyer

if it does make its way over here their going to have to rename it. Taurus is tainted from fords last horrible effort. its the same problem the mondeo has, but more extreme.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
fordv8!

that engine would be great in the falcon, even though i am a fan of the I6 it seems inevitable with the global aspirations of ford this will happen imo
fordv8! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
Chopped
as in chopped

That is only a 4.2ltr V8. The V8 seems to keep up without any turbos. Also averages 10-11 L/100km.

The F6 is more impressive than the SHO IMO.

Last edited by Chopped; 13-05-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Chopped is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
That is only a 4.2ltr V8. The V8 seems to keep up without any turbos.
No it doesn't, the shots where you'd think that's happening were done as
"fill in" runs done with a camera car filming a neck and neck race.
The truth is that by 60 mph the SHO has a bout a 0.9 second
or roughly 30 metre lead...

Quote:
Also averages 10-11 L/100km.
Comparing apples to apples on US EPA city/highway cycles:
Audi A6 17/23
Taurus SHO 17/25
In real consumption terms there not too much different but the Taurus is still
$20,000 less which is irrelevant to buyers of the of European luxury marques
because Taurus and even Lincoln lacks their status .......
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't forget the SHO engine is detuned because of the transverse layout. It also runs on regular unleaded, has zero turbo lag, has diesel-like low-end torque, and is designed for towing and longevity. It gets the same fuel consumption as the same engine in non-EcoBoost version. All these things make the EcoBoost a winner in my opinion.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Don't forget the SHO engine is detuned because of the transverse layout. It also runs on regular unleaded, has zero turbo lag, has diesel-like low-end torque, and is designed for towing and longevity. It gets the same fuel consumption as the same engine in non-EcoBoost version. All these things make the EcoBoost a winner in my opinion.
The SHO taurus is also 4300 lbs which is like 1960 Kg or there about, roughly 100 Kg more than a G6ET...
Old 13-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The SHO taurus is also 4300 lbs which is like 1960 Kg or there about, roughly 100 Kg more than a G6ET...
good point, and driving all wheels which bogs down performance from resistance.
Old 13-05-2010, 03:54 PM   #11
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
All good points chevypower, but these are things we have been enjoying for a while now with the I6T.

The Ford OZ I6T is massively de-tuned; in the current FG series, it can reach around 330RWKW tune ONLY (for the F6). It runs on PULP (which is more or less the equivolent to the USA ULP), has no lag in the 6 speed auto guise, has 533NM of torque available at 1900 RPM, has no issues towing with that 533NM and 270KW and the I6 has been proven to drive more than a million KM's (think taxi...) many times.

This is all with only 1 turbo too

Those are BIG shoes to fill, without even touching on the culture shift required. I am still very impressed with the new Taurus engine though, especially in AWD form. I'm a little concerned about pricing personally.
Old 13-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze
Those are BIG shoes to fill, without even touching on the culture shift required. I am still very impressed with the new Taurus engine though, especially in AWD form. I'm a little concerned about pricing personally.
Prices between here and the US don't directly correlate, look at Camry $19K there and $28K here.
So if you think that way, a $37K Taurus SHO is roughly equivalent in price to a G6ET.
In the broad sense of buyer expectations in each market, that makes complete sense...
Old 13-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #13
WASP
Whipple Induced

I'm not going to compare the Taurus SHO to our G6ET, but what I will say is that Taurus SHO looks to be a quality, competitive product. In my opinion Ford globally as a company is really making some fantastic, competitive class leading cars more recently. As a Ford enthusiast I'm delighted to see this happen.
Old 13-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #14
MexicanBatman
Banned

i dont want that gay us garbage

if it were here now and we didnt have the G6E my money would have gone elsewhere

i've seen all the vids and they are no where near the FG even with the awd launch advantage
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
I'm not going to compare the Taurus SHO to our G6ET
Neither was I, just discussing price relationship in their respective markets.

Any mention of Falcon and Taurus in the one sentence tends to draw an emotional response.......
Old 13-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #16
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
it seems to be a great engine but i wonder how the rest of the car compares
This may give you an idea of what it is like.

Not hard to see where they got the design from

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FvKB...eature=related
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #17
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G6ET Spot
This may give you an idea of what it is like.

Not hard to see where they got the design from

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FvKB...eature=related
i really like the styling of it, but what is that hole in the roof? it looks like something that lets light in....... i havent seen one of them in a ford in many many moons
Old 13-05-2010, 06:25 PM   #18
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze
All good points chevypower, but these are things we have been enjoying for a while now with the I6T.

The Ford OZ I6T is massively de-tuned; in the current FG series, it can reach around 330RWKW tune ONLY (for the F6). It runs on PULP (which is more or less the equivolent to the USA ULP), has no lag in the 6 speed auto guise, has 533NM of torque available at 1900 RPM, has no issues towing with that 533NM and 270KW and the I6 has been proven to drive more than a million KM's (think taxi...) many times.

Do these 'tuned' cars still pass emissions requirements? I think not!
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #19
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Selling cars on a drag race, I like it....

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2010, 07:57 PM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Selling cars on a drag race, I like it....

I guess it handles like a boat.....oh wait its American.....
Old 13-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #21
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Flex EB gets 22mpg using regular, last I read the Territory Turbo uses like 18l/100km using premium. The F150 with its 400hp EB engine is also supposes to see at least 22 mpg. I'm not using a converter, but I know 22mpg is around 10l/100, and 18l/100 is more like 13-14mpg. I'm sure the territory turbo can tow, but the engine wasn't designed for towing, it just had a turbo tacked on to an existing engine.
There is also a leaked article on the internet of a drag race between the 5.4 f150 and ecoboost f150. The eb leaves the v8 in the dust. Aren't the XR6 turbo and xr8 fairly close in performance? The eb f150 is only a 3.5L. And it's built for towing. Amazing.
Old 14-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The Flex EB gets 22mpg using regular, last I read the Territory Turbo uses like 18l/100km using premium. The F150 with its 400hp EB engine is also supposes to see at least 22 mpg. I'm not using a converter, but I know 22mpg is around 10l/100, and 18l/100 is more like 13-14mpg. I'm sure the territory turbo can tow, but the engine wasn't designed for towing, it just had a turbo tacked on to an existing engine.
There is also a leaked article on the internet of a drag race between the 5.4 f150 and ecoboost f150. The eb leaves the v8 in the dust. Aren't the XR6 turbo and xr8 fairly close in performance? The eb f150 is only a 3.5L. And it's built for towing. Amazing.
Where to start...
1) Unmodified, the XR6T does a 13.2 quarter mile, Taurus SHO is a long way behind that.

2) Our 4.0 turbo absolutely clobbered the early 5.4 3Vs and still leads the 4V Boss engines.

3) Not really possible to compare US EPA city/highway/ combined
with Australian Euro Urban/extra Urban/Combined.

All you'll end up doing is cherry picking figures that suit your argument....
Old 14-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #23
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Nice, but I'd still rather my I6T

Quote: