Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 
Default Tasmanian speed limits to reduce to 90kmph

That's right, the current government is planning to have every sealed roadway (Midlands and Bass Hwy the only exception) reduced to 90kmph.

Every gravel road limit will be reduced to 80kmph, no exception.

We have 8 weeks to lodge submissions opposing this new legislation.

The revised limits set to be in place by end 2011.

We have a panel of experts that are touting every 1kmph reduction in road speed equates to at least a 3% reduction in road trauma. Please.......

So 10kmph will equate to 30% reduction in road trauma.

If they say so.

The relevance for all you 'mainlanders'? Your own local gummits are watching this progress to law in Tasmania very closely indeed. You have been duely warned.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...13/3091557.htm

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.

Last edited by tex; 13-12-2010 at 08:14 PM.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

...... why
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANI
...... why
To increase driver fatigue and increase crashes, why else?
Old 13-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

is there a link to this on a formal website or another media beat up? I'm seriously curious, and if true when did Tasmania become a part of Victoria?...

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

I will find it and post up.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 13-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Vote for the Greens and other leftist loonies and this is what you get.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Safer speeds consultation launch
Community consultation on a proposal to help save lives on Tasmania?s rural roads was launched today.

John Gledhill, Chair of the Road Safety Advisory Council, said that the Council was considering:

A reduction of the speed limit on rural sealed roads from 100 km/h to 90 km/h, unless otherwise signed.
A reduction of the speed limit on rural gravel and unsealed roads from 100 km/h to 80 km/h, unless otherwise signed.

"The Council is investigating these changes because expert advice indicates that lower speeds will lessen the number of serious crashes. On average we could expect to save 4 lives and 13 serious injuries every year on Tasmanian roads," Mr Gledhill said.

"Speed is the most contributing factor to injury in the event of a crash, the forces that are exerted on the human body at impact are closely related to the speed.

"International and national research shows that a reduction of 1 km/h in speed can lead to a 2-3% reduction in casualty crashes (which is where people are either injured or killed).

"By travelling 10 km/h slower, you could reduce your risk of being in a casualty crash by 20-30%," he said.

Mr Gledhill said that a high proportion of casualty crashes in Tasmania occurred on rural roads.

"From 2005 to 2009, 45% of fatalities and 41% of serious injuries in Tasmania occurred on rural roads," he said.

"The benefits of reduced rural speed limits have already been experienced first-hand in Tasmania.

"Results from Australia's first rural safer speeds demonstrations, in the Kingborough and Tasman Municipalities, have shown that reduced limits have had a positive and substantial impact upon the local community.

"For both sealed and gravel roads, over 80% of those surveyed either considered the new reduced limits to be appropriate or preferred further reductions."

Mr Gledhill said that the slower speeds would add very little to travel times.

"Research has shown that, if travelling at 90 km/h instead of 100 km/h, the increase in travel time on average is about 6%," he said.

"That means if your journey was supposed to take an hour, it would only take an extra three and a half minutes.

"There is also the added benefit of significant savings in terms of vehicle operating costs and greenhouse emissions. Fuel consumption increases significantly at speeds over 90 km/h. For example, travelling at 100km/h uses 10% more fuel than travelling at 90km/h.

"Driving at lower speeds will also reduce wear and tear on tyres and brakes, which will save you money on maintaining your vehicle.

Mr Gledhill said that some roads would retain the 100 km/h speed limit and that this would be evaluated as part of process.

Details of how members of the community can respond will be published in the three Tasmanian daily newspapers before Christmas or are available here.

The closing date for submissions is 18 February 2011
I cant openly say on a public forum what I want to do to the brain dead morons who dreamt this crap up to justify their own jobs.... I am really really getting angry with how this country is going currently, and no amount of correspondence or factual evidence that would support positive trends towards saving lives gets listened to... civil disobedience anyone?

Old 13-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #8
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Tex.. Your poor basterd!

i'd sign a petition but i don't think they would care about views from us mexicans.
FPV8U is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Poor Ian......

When's your next election?

Old 13-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well the only good defence is attack.

Start inquiries as to how quickly these lives will be saved

If the answer is 10 to 20 years (which is what they will say to cover their bums) then attack them as talking crap as if that is the case then what is the point.

If the answer is immediately then publicly get them to put up or shut up. That is if there is NOT and immediate drop then they will resign their positions and admit they were wrong publicly (which they never will)
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Hopefully that doesn't come to Mexico.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #12
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

From the state that gave us Bob Brown ........ and the state that promotes the Targa Tasmania. So sad.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #13
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Hopefully that doesn't come to Mexico.
We all know tasmanians can swin... We have Adelaide to prove it..!

(joke people).

Old 13-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #14
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Bull to the sh+=.
Ive been to Tassie, there is no need for a reduction. Gravel roads to 80? The rented Corrola was absolutely fine doing around 100 on them.

But im wasting my breath, we all know the reasons behind this.

I'm going to go enjoy the last bits of driving freedom while i still can.......then its on ya bike mike.
We can only do so much individually.....

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Perhaps they should look at reducing the BAC limit instead though (my theory is a sober person on even a semi-decent road can travel safely at 100). Or just let the gene pool look after itself. If a driver can't control a car at the posted speed on a certain road, then they should find another way to go or travel at a slower speed but then they're holding up traffic, I suppose, which means more overtaking lanes need to be built, but that's expenditure, whereas dropping the speed limit is potential revenue for those travelling at safe speeds albeit over the posted limit.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #16
tex
Broken

Guys, this is not just a Tasmanian fight we have on our hands. To be honest i wish it was.

Your respective governments will sieze the opportunity, and the momentum gained by what transpires down here.

Like I said, you have all been respectfuly warned.

I am stunned, but not surprised. This has been brewing for a while. The Scrubey infiltration to the greater society has been slow, but steady, and Tasmania has for whatever reason, seen fit to capitilise on the easy solution, the best solution for minimal infrastructure expendature and social resposibility.

Lets not fix the roads in Tasmnia, lets not train the drivers, lets not rid the tarmac of the mobile rubbish more often than not driven by the untrained, underdeveloped psychy demographic that take up a disproportinate number of the road toll. You may be able to tell that I am passionate about this issue, and right now, struggling to contain my language within the forum terms and conditions of use.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 13-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #17
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Guys, this is not just a Tasmanian fight we have on our hands. To be honest i wish it was.

Your respective governments will sieze the opportunity, and the momentum gained by what transpires down here.

Like I said, you have all been respectfuly warned.

I am stunned, but not surprised. This has been brewing for a while. The Scrubey infiltration to the greater society has been slow, but steady, and Tasmania has for whatever reason, seen fit to capitilise on the easy solution, the best solution for minimal infrastructure expendature and social resposibility.

Lets not fix the roads in Tasmnia, lets not train the drivers, lets not rid the tarmac of the mobile rubbish more often than not driven by the untrained, underdeveloped psychy demographic that take up a disproportinate number of the road toll. You may be able to tell that I am passionate about this issue, and right now, struggling to contain my language within the forum terms and conditions of use.
Spot on, all they need is precedence... Vote them out.

Old 13-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #18
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like I can cross off Tasmania off my list of places to visit.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #19
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heard it on the radio today, what a joke. Whats really stupid about it though is that dirt and gravel roads here are in better condition than the Bass and Midland highways.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #20
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is absolute insanity! Who voted for those jokers?!!
Ford_The_Win is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #21
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

where do we partition and or place our subjective comments/thoughts relating to this, I for one will be happy to 'once again' write in to the appropriate regulatory bodies and give them an email they can use for training purposes at a later date... seriously though seems the nosier you are the more you get done... lets get noisy!!

Old 13-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #22
tex
Broken

I will be making contact with the local enthusiast car clubs down here, and I will begin rallying the like minded togther.

This forum is a starting point.

I sincerely hope the moderation team will allow me to make public - in an appropriate forum, in an appropriate thread the details for lodging personal submissions.

I will post the contact details for the relevant political parties, the relevant public submissions website / email address.

I would ask that all forum members think seriously about the ramifications of what is happening down here, and consider it in the wider context of the nation as a whole.

Your actions in the coming weeks / months will havea long term and fundimental influence on the way we operate our motorcars in this country in the future.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 13-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #23
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Behind it 100%, post up some phone numbers and addresses of their offices. I do about 400km/week of rural 100 zones, will affect me hugely.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #24
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

'This has to be the dumbest idea i have heard of in an "effort" to reduce the road toll.
(Yes I know i have never seen the need for an increase in speed limits because our roads are pityful to say the least).
But instead of trying to fix the problem it seems the "advisors" to the government would like to take the easiest way out and again make a change into the road rules in order to turn more and more people into law breakers....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #25
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
I will be making contact with the local enthusiast car clubs down here, and I will begin rallying the like minded togther.

This forum is a starting point.

I sincerely hope the moderation team will allow me to make public - in an appropriate forum, in an appropriate thread the details for lodging personal submissions.

I will post the contact details for the relevant political parties, the relevant public submissions website / email address.

I would ask that all forum members think seriously about the ramifications of what is happening down here, and consider it in the wider context of the nation as a whole.

Your actions in the coming weeks / months will havea long term and fundimental influence on the way we operate our motorcars in this country in the future.
Best of luck with it Tex but make sure you dont go down the same blazen trails others have gone with these things before you...
Think VERY carefully before doing anything and try to see how your actions maybe perceived by others, especially considering you may need them on your side.

Old 13-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #26
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smart idea. Government people who make these rules probably never drive on any road out of the capital city.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #27
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

The Tasmanian hippies in power must all drive VW Kombis that only do 90 down hill.....

But seriously, this is an outrage in a state that has some of the best roads in the country.

Good luck rallying the troops Tex, hopefully AFF can help get the word out.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another form of attack in to publicly ask if this is revenue driven and if not are they prepared to make speeding offenses of 1-21km/h over the limit points only with no money?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #29
tex
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Best of luck with it Tex but make sure you dont go down the same blazen trails others have gone with these things before you...
Think VERY carefully before doing anything and try to see how your actions maybe perceived by others, especially considering you may need them on your side.

Thanks Norm.

I am fortunate that I have a very close friend in state politics, holds a senior role, and I will seek his counsel in the next few days. Without his advice I will be just another noisey enthusiast....

Bridge burning is not my thing, I will no doubt rely on the support from people that at face value, may in fact be those at the root of the problem...

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 13-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #30
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
That's right, the current government is planning to have every sealed roadway (Midlands and Bass Hwy the only exception) reduced to 90kmph.

Every gravel road limit will be reduced to 80kmph, no exception.
The difference in those speed limits just emphasises why politicians should have no say in road rules.

How can they justify lowering the speed limit to 90kph on a sealed roadway then allow the limit to be 80kph on a gravel road.

It just doesn't make sense, but hey nothing that they do does.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: