Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Default AMG - "enough is enough"

Well , well,

Seems the great EURO power war between MERCEDES/AMG V AUDI has come to a head of late.

Seems the latest focus will be on engine economy and efficiency for AMG as they are no longer concerned with competing in the current "POWER WAR"...The AMG engineers must be rubbing shoulders with the FPV engineers of late..........LOL

Anyways........a very interesting read and perhaps a societal reflection of the current time...........how much power is too much power and when does it just become unuseable for a street car...........Will we see a similar trend here in AU with mainstream manufacturers just saying..........."enough is enough"

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2573D9000C7492

Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Well , well,

Seems the great EURO power war between MERCEDES/AMG V AUDI has come to a head of late.

Seems the latest focus will be on engine economy and efficiency for AMG as they are no longer concerned with competing in the current "POWER WAR"...The AMG engineers must be rubbing shoulders with the FPV engineers of late..........LOL

Yeah FPV the class leaders...lol
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 08:32 PM   #3
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I'm happy for FPV to follow their lead and stop when they reach this stage:

Quote:
AMG's 6.0-litre twin-turbo V12 (as found in the S, SL and CL-class) offers 450kW/1000Nm.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #4
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Well , well,

Anyways........a very interesting read and perhaps a societal reflection of the current time...........how much power is too much power and when does it just become unuseable for a street car...........Will we see a similar trend here in AU with mainstream manufacturers just saying..........."enough is enough"

If AMG won't do it I am sure BRABUS will fill the void. I do agree that there will come a time, not to far away were V8's will be only for play toys.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #5
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

To be honest, I think that is fair enough. They already have mumbo jumbo power/torque figures, so I guess they can now still use those figures, but (like FPV!!!!!), massage their cars around those figures.

On an end note, I'd be very happy to have a fuel efficient 450kW/1000Nm monster in my driveway!!!!!

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
I guess the issue lies with the competition and the perception of being market leader in this area.

Would 450Kw and 1000Nm from an FPV V8 or 6 be perceived as "enough" if the comeptition ( HSV ) are marketing and selling war machines with 480Kw and 1000Nm +.....................????

You can betcha next paycheck we'd all be whingeing.............

It's almost like a big game of chicken............One manufacturer will have to say "enough is enough" first and hand the power mantle over.........once and for all. We're all just hoping it wont be FPV.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

its hard to even comprehend 1000nm. i think they have an insane amount (up round 800 or something) just off idle right the way through. its easy to say 'enough is enough' when you are talking those figures.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #8
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

.... i can only imagine driving a car with over double the power and over double the torque of my car.. mmmm
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #9
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

C63 AMG is sex....
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 10:25 PM   #10
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

while these figures are what petrolheads dream of, there has to be a time where the manufacturers can no longer produce reliable cars with these continuous power increases.
People who buy these cars arent morons, they are going to realise that if the second hand buyer doesnt trust the reliability, the original owner isnt going to get good resale value. Would you buy a second hand car with 450kw/1000nm and 120,000kms on the clock for top price? i wouldnt.
Old 30-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #11
Falcon Freak
Banned

AMG have become a bunch of soft Richards - go BMW!

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #12
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

by we reach that time im sure it will be affordable to have flying cars
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 10:34 PM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcook
while these figures are what petrolheads dream of, there has to be a time where the manufacturers can no longer produce reliable cars with these continuous power increases.
People who buy these cars arent morons, they are going to realise that if the second hand buyer doesnt trust the reliability, the original owner isnt going to get good resale value. Would you buy a second hand car with 450kw/1000nm and 120,000kms on the clock for top price? i wouldnt.
People with money enough to buy one of these in the first place wouldn't be overly fussed with the resale I'd wager.

Some people in their world, (let's face it, these cars are in a price bracket worlds away from us) wouldn't care how much such cars cost, because it's the "mine is bigger, faster, better, more expensive than yours" scenario.

Whilst that mindset continues, there will always be a willingness to build cars with such performance.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 11:42 PM   #14
nb_351
building the xe...

look again at the bugatti veyron, who needs 1000odd horsepower, youll probably only ever legally use maybe 400 of it, and illegally use all 1000 for about 5 seconds before something undesired happens...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #15
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

AMG's 6.0-litre twin-turbo V12 (as found in the S, SL and CL-class) offers 450kW/1000Nm.
Thats gold : , hell would freeze over before that. Imagine how many stripe packages it would take before they got to that level of power. How many have we had on 290 cars :
Old 31-01-2008, 04:30 PM   #16
TUF514
Banned

Quote:
Only 450 kw from a twin turbo 6 litre v12?
TUF514 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #17
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Hmm. And there were rumors of an AMG twin turbo 6.3 litre V8 that would be able to beat the Audi Quattro RS6.

Seriously who needs a 1800kg Merecedes C-class or a 2000(+) kg Bugatti Veyron. Get smart guys, concentrate on adding lightness!
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #18
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF514
Keep in mind it has to meet euro emissions and be so docile even your nan could drive it.
Not to mention factory warranty...
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #19
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
Hmm. And there were rumors of an AMG twin turbo 6.3 litre V8 that would be able to beat the Audi Quattro RS6.

Seriously who needs a 1800kg Merecedes C-class or a 2000(+) kg Bugatti Veyron. Get smart guys, concentrate on adding lightness!
Adding lightness?

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #20
Force6

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
Adding lightness?
Removing heaviness.
Force6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #21
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How many KW's did your 9.0L supercharged big block make?

Old 31-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #22
prydey
Rob

Quote:
don't forget the 1000nm of torque.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2008, 10:43 PM   #23
TUF514
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
How many KW's did your 9.0L supercharged big block make?
9 litre? Supercharged? Reading mustn't be your forte.

Mine only made 423 kw with a few major restrictions. Oh, that was NA as well.
Old 31-01-2008, 10:48 PM   #24
TUF514
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
don't forget the 1000nm of torque.
Im not saying those are poor figures, but i would expect more from that much forced capacity, as well as being built by Europes finest.
Old 31-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #25
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Im not saying those are poor figures, but i would expect more from that much forced capacity, as well as being built by Europes finest.
You are joking right?

It MUST fire up first time (inc in minus 30deg) idle whisper quiet, be smoother than virtualy every vehicle on the planet, have some reseblence of fuel econonomy, last 100,000's of KM with little problems, Factory Waranty and beable to be driven to the shops by grandma.

I don't think 450/1000 is tooo bad

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2008, 10:57 PM   #26
Bent8
Long live the GT !

I agree, Audi is nuts with their twin turbo V10 : we have reached a sort of 'glass ceiling' with power outputs today...

Look at the Brabus CLS "Rocket" 4dr sedan, 6.3L V12 Twin Turbo that makes 730hp and over 1000Nm and has clocked 362km/h!!....problem is the TC can't handle the torque let alone the trans so they had to electronically limit the max torque to just over 800Nm.

I read somewhere AMG is going to primarily use tuned N/A engines from now on because they say the supercharged V8's are not very fuel efficient and also because their new 7-speed box can't handle 700Nm.

The 6.2L DOHC V8 is a solid engine with impressive numbers and has the potential to make over 550hp with just a flash tune and aftermarket headers, more than enough power for any car I would think...

An AMG tuner in the US even tried to stick a 4psi blower on it but gave up because of the high comp ratio (11.3).

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2008, 10:58 PM   #27
HSE2

Perhaps it is also recognition that AMG are struggling to get that power into a usable rear wheel drive package.

They have room (alot of) to make future iterations much faster and much easier to use.

I think you will find that the 1000nm is well and truly turned down too.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 01:53 AM   #28
Steffo
LPG > You

This is interesting... but I don't see it lasting...

Upcomping Audi RS6 = 426kW 650Nm 5.2 TT V10.

Proposted new M5 = 410kW 5.0 TT V10.

378kW N/A E63 to compete? I think not...
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post