Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-01-2006, 04:07 AM   #1
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Default Seat Belts!!

Why don't people where their seat belts. Went to a fatal tonight where a female driving her Tarago van rolled, went through the windscreen, as she didn't have her seat belt on, and lost her head.............

To me is a habit, don't even think about it, just do it.....

Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 04:41 AM   #2
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cheers redrum. you think that was called for?

anyway, i won't loose my head over this but..................

yes seatbelts are good.

mate, if your in the police/firees,/ambos i hear ya
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 09:17 AM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

Yeah its a habit for me to. Seatbelt on than start the car. I get in the car with others, and it seems like a struggle for them to put it on. In saying this, I know a guy who survived because he WASNT wearing his seat belt, although he is in a small minority. He was involved in a truck rollover, where he swerved to miss an oncoming car that was in his lane (they kept going), and he rolled off an embankment. Because he was not wearing his seatbelt, he got thrown under the dash (dont ask me how), and the whole cab was flattened to the top of the dash. Very lucky man. Had to get cut out.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:38 AM   #4
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by conordec
cheers redrum. you think that was called for?

anyway, i won't loose my head over this but..................

yes seatbelts are good.

mate, if your in the police/firees,/ambos i hear ya

I have no problems with that post. and I hope everyone gets a good visual of it too in their minds!

OK, there may have been circumstances leading up to the crash, and she may not have survived at all, or may have, but our ambos/firees/police are legends when they have to deal with these circumstances!

How hard its for people to click up?
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 09:52 AM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Have to agree, in this case the more graphic and clear the image is the better. If thats what it takes for people to use a seatbelt then good, its worth it.
As much as I hate revenue cameras I really do have a couple pet hates on the roads. Excessive speed (as in dangerous in the conditions), not wearing seatbelts... especially when its parents not secureing children, and morons who do not get out of the way of emergency vehicles.

For gods sake people.. buckle up.. and make sure EVERYONE in your car is also buckled up. If your seatbelt is not on in my car.....my car isnt going to move.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 09:58 AM   #6
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My first post for 06 Happy new Year everyone. Bot, even as an 18 yr old I insisted on everyone wearing their seatbelt. Otherwise I just didn't start the car.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:19 AM   #7
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I don't even have to think about it.
Get in sort everything out, open the garage door, and put seatbelt on at the same time. By the time the door is up, I'm ready to go.

My grandmother thinks holding her seatbelt in place, because she can't figure out how to buckle it is ok.
I get really p*ssed off when she does it, so I reach over and do it for her.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 10:24 AM   #8
LUXO_8
windsor user

yeah its a no brainer..... i cant believe people still havent got the message....
crazy, wouldnt have been a nice sight.....:(
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 10:56 AM   #9
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Always been a big fan of belts no question at all you have to use them.

used to be a bit overkeen and had a full race harness in my old 221 XT and kept getting pulled up for no seatbelt (well the twin system did attract lots of unwanted attention) beacuse the plod couldn't see the pillar shoulder strap.

That race harness was good for me though. I used to fancy myself a rally driver an tried it out in a quarry one night. kept me nice and cosy upside down going over an emankment through some thankfully small trees.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 11:12 AM   #10
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Our cars never start without everyone buckled, it doesn't take long to do and it's not difficult so theres no excuse. Kind of like riding a bike (any bike) without a helmet - just stupid.
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 12:02 PM   #11
lisa76
BEU77Y and the BEE55T

My 6yo won't let us drive off if we're not all wearing our seatbelts - just the way I want her to stay, too.

Besides, if I haven't got mine on, the BA beeps at me if I try to drive off.

It's not a hard thing to do before driving off, and as is proven time and time again, it can save your life.

His: BEE55T 80 Series Landcruiser
Double diff locks, Rancho in cab adjustable shocks, 2" lift, GPS, Mickey Thompson Baja Claws (offroad) and coming soon Mickey Thompson ATZ Radials
lisa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 12:13 PM   #12
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Always wear the seat belt unless I move the car from the driveway to the front lawn (car doesnt touch the public road).

When I was young (before the law came in) the family never wore a seat belt. My mum got booked just after the law came in and from than on always wore a seat belt. Luckiest thing that ever happened to her because quite soon after she was involved in an accident where she the injury only consisted of bruises. Otherwise she would have been in much bigger trouble as the car was spun around.

But from than on everyone in the family wears seat belts. But for me it's an automatic reaction where I just put it on without thinking.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 12:30 PM   #13
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Sorry to hear you had to go to a fatal tonight mate, we've been lucky & only been called to an alarm & a small grass fire. No MVAs yet.........

But yeah, please use your seatbelts.

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 12:36 PM   #14
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
But for me it's an automatic reaction where I just put it on without thinking.
It's a strange feeling for me to be in a moving car without wearing a seatbelt, almost feel naked

I've noticed though, when driving in the country it's a lot easier to spot people not wearing seatbelts. Thing is, given the higher average speeds travelled in the country, they're the ones that need them more!

I know a few people that wear seatbelts here religiously, but when they go overseas to a country that doesn't require it by law, they don't wear them. Pretty silly, the seatbelt is pretty much the best passive safety feature invented since the creation of the modern car.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 12:55 PM   #15
XR6Gal
Just Super Happy now :)

I don't feel right without my seatbelt on. I just do it automatically, I don't know how people don't/cant wear one!

PhantomBA XR6 (Sold), now a VW owner (don't hold it against me )

& also a CM Valiant Wagon, gotta love the old Val's
see her progress here
NOW SOLD :( but now have a
Honda CBR250 Motorbike
XR6Gal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 01:11 PM   #16
EB_5.0_WAGON
Formerly known as NUDGE

I know in all of the cars i have owned that the seat belt goes on automatically.
But in some of the trucks ive driven it doesnt.
I think with the trucks its cause they were semi trailers and by law you didnt need to have them on until recently.
2004 Toyota Prado GXL
EB_5.0_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 02:33 PM   #17
XuRt6e

How stupid must people be, the main problem is parents dont make their kids put belts on.

The more they do it, the more of an instinct it becomes.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 03:25 PM   #18
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I have survived a bad one by not wearing a belt, the short version is I went under a truck, got knocked out and fell across the bench seat, the trucks tray ended up where my head was, sometimes its just plain luck,As for feeling sorry for cops and such well sorry, but they know what the job entails before they join up, they're not forced into it, it's like me complaining that people use the toilet coz I got to fix it
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #19
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When you go through the police academy they give you a lecture from the Accident Investigation Section ( or whatever they have been renamed to ). It's very sobering stuff. You see what happens when things do go wrong in glorious technicolour.
I also wouldn't be here except for a seat belt. 7 years ago I was in a car that rolled 6-8 times ( It was hard to count ) and everything in the car, including what was in the console and all the glass ... was out of the car spread over about 100 metres.

Slightly off topic ... 20 years ago I was involved in a fatal accident .. RIP James.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 07:11 PM   #20
Tri Power 289
Back in the Game!

A couple of weeks ago I realised, after looking over my right shoulder, that I didn't have my seat belt on. When I left a servo I had been so busy putting my mobile phone earpiece on (one of those stupid stero ones) that I hadn't done it.
I was horrified as it's normally automatic for me. I still can't believe I drove for 20 mins without it.

How people do it on a regular basis is beyond me.
70 Mustang Mach1 351 4V/Shaker Auto

Previous forum rides:
XH Falcon Ute 4.0 Auto
BF XR8 5.4 Manual
'88 60 Series Landcruiser Turbo Diesel.
Komatsu 830E Haul Pac- 2500hp, 165tonnes.
AUIII XR6 HP: Prepared by Aussie Car Enhancements & Custom Tuned by Blue Power to a record setting 14.22@96mph.
BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V :Unfinished business.
Tri Power 289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 07:20 PM   #21
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Mate of mine at work seems to put it on if he remembers within about 1 or 2 k's of leaving wherever he is. I go absolutely insanely beserk at him when he's in my car, calling him rude and selfish and inconsiderate and imagine if I was hit how bad I'd feel having to deal with his death in my car even if it wasn't my fault... and if I stuffed up how much worse it would seem for me if he was killed... usually puts the fear of God into him. We're professionals all in our mid twenties and I'm not ashamed to make a scene, pull over instantly to the side of whatever road I might be on and demand the seatbelt be put on.

As soon as he's in his own car he goes back to old habits.... I just hope he gets busted for it one day before he gets killed for it...
Old 01-01-2006, 10:15 PM   #22
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
Why don't people where their seat belts. Went to a fatal tonight where a female driving her Tarago van rolled, went through the windscreen, as she didn't have her seat belt on, and lost her head.............

To me is a habit, don't even think about it, just do it.....
Know where your coming from did 30+yrs in F/R and am glad I'm retired.

Such a simple action that can save your life.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 10:37 PM   #23
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I have trouble not putting my seatbelt on when driving from the back of the yard at work to the gate when I know I need to stop & lock it...
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 10:38 PM   #24
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I have to admit to having seen many fatalities where a seatbelt may have saved a life. I can only count one that survived, because he didn't have it on, and was thrown clear, and the other occupants perished - though I can't say what life-long problems he has from being flung from a rolling car, and ending up beneath it...

Wear it, and it can save you. Drive stupidly, and then you're gambling with lives.
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 10:38 PM   #25
Annie1962
Annie

OH so True Red!

I insist on seat belt wearing as I have three sons 23 yrs, 5 yrs and 3 and a half years
I don't even move out of the driveway until they're belted in... and if I am not belted in immediately after I strap them in, they yell "MUMMY SEATBELT!!" (not my 23 yr old lol)

No way I can forget!

I get peeved off with two things..
The seatbelt in my car digs into my neck . I'm 5 ft 2
They also dig into my boys' necks.. I need some furry things to put on the seat belts. (would prefer harnesses but I can't get them on ! ..single mum with no clue on how to do it)

Last edited by Annie1962; 01-01-2006 at 10:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Annie1962 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2006, 03:40 PM   #26
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My son then 3 used to scream and cry if his wasn't on.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:59 PM   #27
aimzes
...fairly odd

i always have it done up before the car is in gear. the problem is that because ive been taught to always wear one i used to forget to check if my mates were strapped in. they always were but this one guy he was a bit of a douche, he would never buckle up. i stopped the car on a few occasions. he would do the whole "whats your problem, its my life" id simply reply "yes, but its my licence..."

i didnt want to see him hurt obviously but my main concern was getting pulled up because some dumbie thinks its cool not to wear a freakin belt.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:11 PM   #28
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

My family owns a bus company, and we get a lot of schools calling up to take the kids on excursions, and the first thing they ask is if we have seatbelt equipped vehicles.
Yet when we send the seatbelted vehicles out on the excursions, the teachers don't seem to give a rats that the kids refuse to wear them. Hell, most of the teachers don't wear them.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2006, 05:44 PM   #29
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Dad has always been one to put his seatbelt on after he has started driving. Just one of a few things he does that I haven't taken up. Usually puts it on in the first few minutes. If I'm driving any more than moving the car from the garage outside or re-parking the car, I wear the seatbelt
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2006, 06:00 PM   #30
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Anyone with a say 1993 - 1996 Daewoo Cielo? (No jokes please).

If so, connect a front seat belt, then pull on it. Report results here.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post