Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-04-2005, 12:53 PM   #1
plee

Default Roundabout Issues

Hi,

I don't know whether it is just me who notices these things, but there seems to be a large number of people out there who don't understand how to use roundabouts. My main gripe is with people who get confused, and think that you have to indicate right off a roundabout, instead of left, so from my viewpoint (waiting to get onto the roundabout) they are just going round and around.

Then there are the ones who don't indicate at all.

It's come to the stage where, even though it holds up traffic a bit sometimes, I follow the words of my driving instructor who told me never to trust indicators, so you end up waiting for a complete gap before going.

Anybody else had these kind of problems?

Paul
Old 22-04-2005, 01:06 PM   #2
Kryton

imo there is no need to indicate to leave a roundabout.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2005, 01:07 PM   #3
plee

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Sorry, I forgot to mention, I am in NSW, and you have to indicate when leaving a roundabout, at least that's what the rules say. It was brought in about 4 or so years ago, I thought to bring NSW in-line with the rest of Australia...
Old 22-04-2005, 01:10 PM   #4
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

In QLd iirc you drive on and indicate to get off

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2005, 01:12 PM   #5
Marlin_Girl
I wish I was a Pursuit...

Yeah you have to be aware that at least half the population don't know what the hell they're doing! you really can't trust ppls indicators, you have to see what the car is doing.

i hate it when people indicate left ALL THE WAY AROUND so you think you can go but you cant! really sh1ts me!

Yesterday i nearly got run off the road by an old woman on a roundabout where ppl approaching in the left lane can only turn left. So i'm assuming as we both pull onto the ONE LANE roundabout that she is turning left while i'm going straight through. stupid grandma(no offense to grandmas) just shoves her way on, straight through (didn't even follow the CURVE of the roundabout, nor give way to me, as i was on her right!!!) misses me by a few cms cos i slammed on my brakes just in time! i honked my horn and she obviously didn't even notice!! so she'll probably go str8 through that roundabout for the rest of her life because she didn't even acknowledge that she'd done the wrong thing!!! aargh ok feel good now i got that out.

So yeah... my point is trust nobody!!!

pics of my ute HERE
Marlin_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2005, 01:18 PM   #6
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

I find the most frustrating thing is on the 2 lane roundies where the turkey on the inside lane tries to take an exit....

Old 22-04-2005, 01:20 PM   #7
plee

It seems to me that maybe some kind of education is required, maybe with a brochure and some ads... since they never hesitate to put out another advert about how driving 65 in a 60 zone is a recipe for disaster.

I feel that this would avert a lot more accidents... but who am I kidding, this would never happen!
Old 22-04-2005, 01:37 PM   #8
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In ACT u have the same roundabout rules as NSW.

i always do it(Dont know where a cop will come from, even though the majority of them in ACT dont do it themselves)

but theres ppl who indicate b4 a left turn and go straight (timing is way off). i always wait in any case. just not worth the risk. a lot off ppl need to observe the signage b4 they go on the roundabout!!. theres these roundabouts where they r a 2 lane approach and only one lane goes straight. got caught out on my Ls coz last time i went through it with my parents coz i was in the left lane when the right lane was the straight through lane. no signs advising changed traffic conditions or anythn. lucky its only like a painted line so no dramas. i always observe the signage first.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2005, 02:07 PM   #9
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
I agree.
Roundabouts are that simple there is no need, to indicate out, even 4 lane round abouts!

You should be able to judge when to pull into a round about.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2005, 02:55 PM   #10
RATT

Quote:
Definately agreed on that point. It just confuses the issue further.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2005, 02:58 PM   #11
plee

Well if anything, I'd rather people not indicate at all, than indicating the complete wrong direction... I find it easier to read on big roundabouts, as you can't see where people got on the roundabout to see where they are planning to go without indicating off the roundabout.
Old 22-04-2005, 02:59 PM   #12
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Around my place there are 7 roundabouts on the one road and everyone thinks they can just go flying through them without slowing down.
I've lost count of the number of times that I've nearly been wiped out when someone's done it.
And yes the indicating left when exiting a roundabout seems illogical to me, but maybe it's more suited to really big, multi lane roundabouts. Still I don't get it.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2005, 03:14 PM   #13
EB-maen
Rise, Toybota!

I believe that the indcating to exit is essential when you are going straight through a roundabout in the right hand lane. Most people automatically assume that if you are on the inside, then you are turning right, and so they make their way on to the roundabout, effectively driving in front of your exit path. I regularly got through a series of rounbaouts which connect an overpass and several on/offramps to the m1, 2 schools and the major shopping complex for robina, so they are by no means quiet.
The only times when indicating to exit becomes confusing is when some people stick on their left indicator as soon as the enter the roundabout, even though they plan on turning right from the outer lane (intelligent!)

13.156 @ 110kph... down the highway :P

Last edited by EB-maen; 22-04-2005 at 03:15 PM. Reason: improving readability
EB-maen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2005, 06:23 PM   #14
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

THe problem is as it is in the road rules up here to indicate to exit a roundie, if you don't you can end up with a nasty fine in the mail from the policeman.

Wether it is right or wrong to indicate is another issue, Roundabouts really show how the general public have:-
A) no courtesy
B) No common sense!

Old 22-04-2005, 06:35 PM   #15
kiwikid
have you seen my marbles?

fo one lane roundabouts its is not needed but it is the law.... for most of australia anyway...
Old 22-04-2005, 07:37 PM   #16
ferris01
I am a Princess!!!

Smile

Well a very wise person told me to take the roundabout out of the equation. Treat it like you are coming to a normal intersection. So if I am turning right/left at the roundabout I indicate to go right/left. If I go straight ahead I go straight ahead.

So if you are worried about my system at roundabouts just watch out for a little fiesta that comes screaming thru....
ferris01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2005, 07:44 PM   #17
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Ok, from what i know as i just got my Ps, if on a 1 laned roundabout, to turn left, you indicate left, to go further then half way around (i.e. right turn or U turn) then you indicate right, and to go straight, you dont indicate. However, if on a 2 laned roundabout, after passing the last exit before yours, you have to indicate left to tell the other drivers you are leaving the roundabout... Same with 1 laned roundabouts if they have more then 4 exits (i.e. not a X intersection... or T.... whatever its called)

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2005, 07:46 PM   #18
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferris01
So if you are worried about my system at roundabouts just watch out for a little fiesta that comes screaming thru....
hahaha, im worried if i see you on a 2laned roundabout now.....

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2005, 07:53 PM   #19
HOON69
Banned

i love roundabouts but hate the drivers on them,i had a holden come from a left lane to turn right whilst i was in the right lane trying to go straight,contact was made it fubar'd 900bucks of my ride.

ppl really need to brush up on the laws of the road maybe sit a test after renewal maybe?
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2005, 12:38 AM   #20
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You shouldn't even need a rule book to figure out a roundabout. In a 2 laned roundabout there should be markings on the road telling you you can only go straight or left from the left lane and straight or right from the right lane. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that turning right from the left lane is a bad idea, or straight lining the roundabout by crossing into the next lane with other traffic around is likely to cause a prang. I also go by the method of indicating only if turning left or right - straight ahead I don't signal.

So many people in all sorts of situations do stuff that amazes me when I see it. If you're in the straight ahead lane and want to go right, don't hold up that lane and then move to the right lane after all the other traffic going right has gone through - just go straight ahead and turn back at a U-turn point up the road. Things like that are infuriating as the driver is basically saying, "I don't give a f*** if I illegally hold you up, I want to go this way and I'll do what I want."
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2005, 01:59 AM   #21
chippa6
Novice Professional

Obviously it is different in most states, but firstly always give way to your right. I have had that many near misses with people indicating wrongly I am a litle bit more cautious when entering a roundabout. I ignore their indicator and look at what they are doing.

This whole discussion doesn't even touch on the situation when you are faced head on to a Tarago rent a car full of Japanese tourists looking whiter than even when they realise that have gone the WRONG way around the roundabout.

Chippa
Old 23-04-2005, 09:08 PM   #22
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Quote:
I agree cause thats where the confusion starts. I also believe that round about should not have signs or pretty little flowers in the center of them as it is already hard enough to see some of the indicators on some cars.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2005, 11:12 PM   #23
Panda
XR6 and XR8 Club of QLD

Easy !!

The first rule of driving still applies give way to your right.
If you're turning left, approach in the left lane with your left indicator on.
If you're going straight ahead, approach in either lane, indicate left to exit.
If you're turning right, approach in the right lane with your right indicator on, indicate left to exit.

I don't get how people can mess it up.

Panda
Old 23-04-2005, 11:18 PM   #24
Cheahman
BOSS 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda
Easy !!

If you're turning right, approach in the right lane with your right indicator on, indicate left to exit.

Panda
lol couldnt have said it any better myself!!! its the simplest thing in the world to do!!! I just amazes me that alot of people dont understand it! what isnt there to understand?????

BA XR8
EB XR8
Cheahman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2005, 02:06 AM   #25
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Easy !!

Panda
Well said.

The problem I find is the number of people who don't even slow down, and are doing ~50 km/h as they enter the roundabout.

There is a roundabout no more then 300 meters from here where people are always doing that, as a result, I ALWAYS check there are no other cars (or trucks, motorbikes, witches on broomsticks, etc.) approaching the roundabout from any direction, and if there is, ensure I can stop BEFORE I am in their path, no matter where they are coming from. I've lost count of how many times at that roundabout I have had to brake and come to a complete halt because some tool has just cut me off because they didn't look and hadn't slowed at all, when they should have given way to their right - if I wasn't as cautious as I am at that particular roundabout, I would have been in at least 4 accidents where the front end of the car I was driving would have been written off.

In my opinion, it's only a matter of time before someone gets killed there, but seeing as there is no such thing as a roundabout camera, nothing will be done about it, it's easier to fine people for going slightly above the speed limit then it is to do something that might actually make a difference to the road toll...
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2005, 11:48 AM   #26
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

I hate people who don't give me room to hang the tail out round roundabout... :P
Old 24-04-2005, 12:13 PM   #27
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MaDDeSTMaN
I ALWAYS check there are no other cars (or trucks, motorbikes, witches on broomsticks, etc.)
I have never cut you off going through that roundabout!! :nutsycuck
Old 24-04-2005, 02:05 PM   #28
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Easy !!

Panda
I do. Because they steadfastly adhere to the give way to your right rule.

In particular one roundabout at the back of Lane Cove in Sydney where people tend to go through it without slowing down (Pittwater Rd?). There's a rather large sign just before it last time I went through it that said 'give way to traffic already in the roundabout' due to the high incidence of accidents of cars coming out of a blindish corner (well, it's blind when oncoming traffic are entering the roundabout at 60) and t-boning cars coming out of a residential street.

The problem with adhering to the give way to the right rule is those entering a roundabout (at least in Sydney) will speed up to enter the roundabout because they believe they have right of way to a car that is already entering the roundabout to their 'left'. The problem lies with having a law of giving way to traffic already in the roundabout and people adopting giving way to your right. When they clash, you crash.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2005, 06:40 PM   #29
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by plee
Sorry, I forgot to mention, I am in NSW, and you have to indicate when leaving a roundabout, at least that's what the rules say. It was brought in about 4 or so years ago, I thought to bring NSW in-line with the rest of Australia...
This is the case in all States (yes, even Victoria), it was part of the introduction of National Road Rules.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The law for giving way at a roundabout is " give way to anyone on your right, or approaching from your right (this could be a person turning right coming from the opposite direction)"

A roundabout is the only intersection where you are not required to give way to pedestrians when turning left or right, unless there is a marked pedestrian (zebra) or marked childrens crossing attached to it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The legally correct way to use single lane roundabouts (and please remember that a roundabout sign is a 'give way' sign by all intents and purposes, just look at it) is to:

If going straight ahead, no signal, except a left signal to leave (this signal should be put on as you are level with the traffic splitter island on the road on your left)

If going right, then a right signal 30 metres (or a reasonable amount of time) before the roundabout, then give a left signal as you are level with the last traffic splitter island on the road on your left.

If going left, then a left signal 30 metres (or a reasonable amount of time) before the roundabout.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a pre-cursor to the info below, you must always obey any arrow marking on the road.

The legally correct way to use multi laned roundabouts is to:

If going straight ahead, no signal, except a left signal to leave (this signal should be put on as you are level with the traffic splitter island on the road on your left). The left lane is the recommended lane for through traffic, but look for painted arrows.

If going right, then a right signal 30 metres (or a reasonable amount of time) before the roundabout, then give a left signal as you are level with the last traffic splitter island on the road on your left. You must always be in the right lane, but painted arrows will be the guide. If no arrows, then right lane is the go.

If going left, then a left signal 30 metres (or a reasonable amount of time) before the roundabout. Obviously left lane is the one to be in, BUT look for the painted arrows.
Old 24-04-2005, 07:24 PM   #30
MrQuan
Social Disaster

Indicating when exiting a roundabout is essential IMO. It's not hard to do and I think it DOES help in multilane roundabouts.

As mentioned before it stops people cutting across your exit.

However, the exit indication should only be executed just as you approach the exit, not the previous exit (hope that makes sense). Otherwise it's just confusing to people. You see some people indicate left just after they enter the round about, it freaks me out - I don't know if they think they can cross lanes or what they'll do!

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post