Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Ford Territory - 150,000 Milestone

26/11/2012 - Australia’s only truly local SUV, the Ford Territory has reached a production milestone of 150,000 units.

“This is a significant milestone for us at Ford Australia,” said Bob Graziano, Ford Australia president and CEO. “To have designed, engineered and manufactured a vehicle that has proven to be a hit with customers since launch.”

“Territory was the brainchild of Ford in Australia and we are incredibly proud of this car and what it has achieved,” Graziano said.
“The latest Territory, which is now available with a diesel engine, continues to be an incredibly strong seller for us, providing a versatile solution to our customers’ driving needs,” Graziano said.

Territory offers car-like styling and driving dynamics with the versatility of a traditional SUV or people mover and has been an outstanding success for Ford in Australia.

When launched, the Territory was ahead of its time, identifying that families were drawn to the command driving position and interior versatility of an SUV compared to a large sedan.

“The idea for Territory began – as all great cars do – by recognizing customer need,” the then Vehicle Director Russell Christophers said at the launch in 2004.
Extensive market research established a growing need for a vehicle combining the best characteristics of family sedans, traditional SUVs and people movers.

Launched in 2004, the SX Territory was an overnight success with 13,583 finding new homes that year and the new kid on the block also took home the most highly coveted motoring accolade in the country, Wheels Magazine Car Of The Year, 2004.
2005 was Territory’s first full year of production – and best sales year – with 28,447 units produced at Ford’s Broadmeadows assembly plant.

Ford launched a number of firsts with Territory, including the first Australian made vehicle to offer Inflatable Curtain Airbags, Dynamic Stability Control and in 2005, the SY Territory added the availability of a reversing camera to the list.
As the Territory continued to achieve sales success for Ford, the SZ was launched in 2011, with a more fuel efficient petrol engine, and for the first time, a 2.7-litre Turbo Diesel with a six-speed automatic transmission providing outstanding fuel economy.
Ford’s acclaimed 2.7-litre V6 TDCi diesel engine, was added to the range as part of Ford Australia’s $232 million investment in sustainability, with assistance from the Federal Government’s Green Car Innovation Fund and the Victoria State Government which included development of the 2.0-litre EcoBoost Falcon as well as the introduction of Liquid-Phase injection technology for the Falcon.

The SZ Territory saw the introduction of a new high-series ‘Titanium’ model which is a top seller in the model line-up today.
The SZ boasts high refinement levels and 5-star crash safety mated to a stylish and contemporary look that aligns with the signature styles of other Ford products.

The award-winning Territory continues to be one of Australia’s best-selling SUVs.

Ford Territory Facts:

- Championed by Geoff Polites, then President Ford Australia 1999-2004
- $500 million project approved by Ford USA for an Australian lead
- Won Wheels Magazine Car Of The Year in its launch year of 2004
- The first Australian made and developed SUV
- The first Australian made vehicle to offer Inflatable Curtain Airbags
- The introduction of the SZ model and a TDCi engine in 2011 saw Territory return to the top of the monthly sales charts as Australia’s best-selling SUV
- The 150,000th Territory is a RWD TX TDCi in Winter White.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 27-12-2012 at 07:38 PM.
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 
Default Re: Ford Territory - 150,000 Milestone

Bring on the next 150 000.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I "made the mistake" on buying the first of a model.
My 2004 TX AWD Territory has been the BEST vehicle I have ever bought.
Would have to have been the best mistake I have ever made in my life.
8 years ... and near on 200,000km ... it still feels like a new car.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Thumbs up Re: Ford Territory - 150,000 Milestone

Fantastic Milestone for a fantastic Car. My Wife's Territory Turbo is still going strong after 280,000 km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More good news.. I'm starting to like the new CEO!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
Buntz
Straight Eight

Well done Ford Australia. The car had some teething issues, but they pulled through. And now it's as good as anything in the market and even better value.
Old 26-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #7
zoenryan
Starter Motor

I also bought one of the first ones - a 2004 TX AWD. Very impressive vehicle but real high maintenance.
Early problems -
leaking petrol when full and parked on an incline - fixed under warranty
pulling to the right under breaking - Ford never found the problem but it eventually fixed itself went away
after 3 years - and numerous power window master switch’s - right front brake hose failure.
4 weeks later - left front brake hose failure - reported by Ford dealer as rear hose failure but on inspection was actually front.
****** letter to Ford - they took the vehicle back and they replaced all the brake hoses
Incidentally - we live on a bit of acreage and occasionally take the vehicle across the grass towing a trailer collecting fire wood. The DSC works great when one wheel starts slipping - but - try it in reverse - no go -
I could go on but i won't.
In summary - a brilliant vehicle to drive on road with limited off road capability - would rather have a Territory on road than a Range Rover - and all for half the price.
Unfortunately - let down by some very average engineering and pi## poor service from several dealers - still have not found a good one .
Would I buy another one - absolutely - but only with an extended warrenty from Ford and with the backing of a good service from a reputable dealer - have tried a few but still have not found a good one .
Mr Ford - congratulations on your milestone and vision - but - get the engineering right and stop fixing the cheapest components you can find to your vehicles. The 6 cylinder barra is a joy to drive but your suspension is a nightmare to fix even though the ride quality is brilliant.
In short - the Territory - a real Enigma
zoenryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Didn't take long...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

We had an 07 Ghia AWD. Brilliant car. Only mistake was not replacing it with another one. Ah well replacement time again soon.
Old 26-11-2012, 11:58 PM   #10
stang65
FPRJET

Awesome car got a Terry and an xr6 turbo best of both worlds. Both ultra reliable.
Old 27-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Say what you like about the 2 tonne Tezza, but they are absolutely brilliant in my mind. We have a 2006 SY AWD and we love it.
Old 27-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #12
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Congratulations to Ford and all those involved in the concept, development and manufacture of the only Australian-designed and manufactured SUV. A wonderful achievement by all involved.

Our 2008 TX is a wonderful vehicle. Yep, it has had it's niggles over the years since we bought it new, but that is potentially no different to any other car we could have purchased.

Here's to many more to come.

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #13
JG34JA

Well done, fantastic vision made real, to all those who did the concept, research, design, development and manufacturing.

Ordering ours 'unique' from factory with extras, built just for us here in Australia, was a real thrill. (Most of what we added is now standard in the TS package...) 2007 SR AWD 6speed with first black interior (leather/cloth) and those amazing blacked out SR wheels.

167,000km later it is, as Mechan1k said, "like a new car", solid as a rock. Ford have taken care of us in servicing and warranty repairs on boot (5c rust), brake hose and new recalled ball joints set the mind at ease. Our one has towed a van all over Australia, traversed snow drifts up to bonnet-high in mid winter, and carried everything from kids to moving gear to garden waste to surfboards to camping gear etc etc etc.

Great car. Would I have another one? Yep!
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I had one of the first ones built, a Lightning Strike Ghia. It was also the only vehicle I have ever owned that I sold for more than I paid for it, + 4k.

Didn't have a single fault with it either, so so much for the don't buy one in the first few months of a new model story.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #15
FPVF6X201
Formerly FPVwannabe

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Slotted front rotors for the TTG write-up and pics. 

Congrats Ford. Despite the relatively minor niggles, selling 150k of them means it aint all bad like some make out.

I'm on my third Terrtory now. 1st 06 RWD Ghia, 2nd 08 Turbo Ghia AWD and now an F6X!

Lets hope they keep the momentum going for at least a few more years (or as Obama says "4 more years" lol).

Borla ATAK axle back exhaust.
Hawk ceramic brake pads.
CLStech Ribbon DRL mod.
X Lume illuminated grille badge.
Injen CAI.
FPVF6X201 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I see the new Territory diesels everywhere out here in Country Vic, its gotta be one of the most popular new cars getting around, cops have them too, we've already done a few Mica Paramedic vehicles with the diesel Terry.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #17
Buntz
Straight Eight

The diesel is also surprisingly quiet. You do hear quite a bit of woosh though as they drive past.
Old 27-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #18
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

The terri brought more then the only Australia's own SUV but showed that FoA could build a vehicle that is fantastic on a tiny budget. So much so that they got to design world wide vehicles.

Good to see 150k built. Lets hope many more Terri's to come.
Old 28-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #19
Falcman0o7
Banned

I have seen SHIPLOADS on the roads lately! maybe people are are starting to realise that the captivas arn't so great after all.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #20
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Me and the old boy have had 5 now... great cars! Love my diesel does everything I need.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #21
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Ours has probably surpassed expectations. As a country car it is brilliant, and on long undulating twisty drives amazingly competent for such a large vehicle. Only bugbear is that it is a bit thirsty at the bowser (2007 AWD 6-speed). Coming up to 130,000km now.
Old 28-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #22
redman

Congratulations to all involved in the production of this fantastic car.

I still remember that day in October 2004 we I got my hands on one the first TS Territories. It was a 7 seater, RWD and did that car deliver holidays. We often travelled with 6 or 7 people in it with the gear in a roof boot. It took us to The Alice, Surfers and Tassy with a camper trailer on the back.

It loved twisty roads like the Mt. Buller road or the one between Inverloch and Cape Paterson. I still miss that car.

Go FORD.
redman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #23
WPR1

My wife loves hers, we have a terri and an XR6 (pity not a turbo) and both are great!
WPR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #24
Oldbugger

My wife has a 2007 TS AWD which has travelled 85000kms and rates it the best car she has had. Most days she has the choice of the Territory or FG GT and the Territory is her vehicle of choice. Being vertically challenged, the high driving position gives her more confidence and better all round visibility when driving. I only wish Geoff P. was still with us to continue his vision.
Oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #25
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I wish Geoff was still here too... an amazing man!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #26
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
I wish Geoff was still here too... an amazing man!
With some of the noises coming out of FoMoCo local I reckon they're "channeling" him.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #27
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoenryan View Post
Would I buy another one - absolutely - but only with an extended warrenty from Ford and with the backing of a good service from a reputable dealer - have tried a few but still have not found a good one .[/FONT][/COLOR]
Mr Ford - congratulations on your milestone and vision - but - get the engineering right and stop fixing the cheapest components you can find to your vehicles. The 6 cylinder barra is a joy to drive but your suspension is a nightmare to fix even though the ride quality is brilliant.
In short - the Territory - a real Enigma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Didn't take long...
Nothing wrong with throwing in the truth - Ford Australia is an enigma! All of the above is true (except I did eventually find a good dealer). The car is a brilliant design and deserves to sell much better - if Ford can produce it right.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2012, 06:44 AM   #28
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Put it this way ... not long after the Territory was produced ... the US tried to make a copy going off our formula ... hoping for the same success.

What's the saying ... "Imitation is the sincerest form or flattery".
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #29
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well we've voted with our wallet twice! I drove the Terri yesterday for the first time for 6 months after driving a very well-sorted smaller sedan and I tell you the Terri drives just beautifully, like a smaller sedan.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #30
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have an 09 SYII AWD Ghia. Brilliant vehicle. Did everything we asked of when we first moved into our new home and I was doing all the landscaping. The 7-seat capability is fantastic.

We've had very little trouble with it, in fact it was only when it went in at 45000km that the dealer picked up 2 faults and fixed them under warranty.

Congrats on racking up 150,000! Thanks to Geoff Polites too for believing in and pushing the concept to the head office honchos!