Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-02-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Default $20m Ford grant faces the axe

Source: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...3-2862,00.html

THE Rudd Government wants to axe a $20 million grant to Ford promised by its predecessor.

The Rudd razor gang decided in December to ditch the grant, which could jeopardise plans to build a new four-cylinder Ford at its Broadmeadows plant.

But the new Government has since received legal advice that Ford could pursue a legal claim based on a breach of faith.

The Herald Sun learned of the Ford setback on the same day Mitsubishi announced it would close its Adelaide plant.

In May 2006, the former Howard government pledged $52.5 million in special assistance to Ford.

Ford has received $32.5 million, but the remaining $20 million was not due to be paid until 2009-10.

The grant was intended to help Ford start production on a new Falcon project, known as E8.

But last July Ford sought to modify the agreement so the money could be spent on developing the four-cylinder Focus.

Production of the Focus, Ford's first locally made small car in a decade, is due to start at Broadmeadows in 2011, creating 300 jobs.

But the new contract between Ford and the Government was not formally amended before the November federal election.

Sources said the Government's strategic Budget committee of Cabinet met on December 18 and discussed axing the grant.

Subsequently, the Australian Government Solicitor advised the committee Ford could sue if it proceeded with its decision.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

I hope the governement does the right thing. Taking the grant away won't help our economy. I have my faith in the labour government though
FordACE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

I think that would be the stupidest thing the gov could do right now, wont happen. Plus AU20M isn't that much to the US in comparison.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
TZENU
XY Driv3r

We are trying to strengthen the economy not weaken it... I cant see realistically the government pulling the pin though.. Well hopefully not
Old 06-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Yeah but what do the masses care about... Buying locally built cars, or letting the government make the biggest amount of budget cuts they can so as to restore faith in interest rates?
Old 06-02-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout
Yeah but what do the masses care about... Buying locally built cars, or letting the government make the biggest amount of budget cuts they can so as to restore faith in interest rates?
Cutting that wont do jack for interest rates. The rates are largely out of the govs control.

They sook about changing with the times, well here it is, I cant for the life of me see this happening.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 06-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

man i am so glad we have labour, they just know so much about running the country, best thing that ever happend to australia
/sarcasm

told you so.
they are stupid if they go through with cutting the grant, ford is been co-oparative, creating 300 new jobs etc, government doesnt seem to care at all...
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
TZENU
XY Driv3r

With the threat of legal action i don't think the government has much of a choice but to honour the remaining 20mill

Oh the beauty about living in a democratic country
Old 06-02-2008, 04:14 PM   #9
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what next another "recession we had to have "
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #10
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this Is An Unmitigated Disgrace If Its True And Does Happen. :

Old 06-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #11
F6 R-Spec
formerly PURSUIT-250

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
what next another "recession we had to have "

hahahahah

I heard that money was promised to the unions, MUA here to stay!
F6 R-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #12
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Wow, thats real inteligent government work there.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 05:37 PM   #13
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've never been a fan of government handouts for upcoming models. Why should governments prop up businesses who keep building mediocre products.
I am all for government grants into building products that show innovation and big benefit to the community.
The shift of the $$ to the development of the Focus is a much better idea, the plant would be more flexible and it would keep people in work.
I hope the government keep their contribution, it can lead to Ford AU keeping some manufacturing here.
"...remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice..."
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #14
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevlndStemer
I've never been a fan of government handouts for upcoming models. Why should governments prop up businesses who keep building mediocre products.
I am all for government grants into building products that show innovation and big benefit to the community.
The shift of the $$ to the development of the Focus is a much better idea, the plant would be more flexible and it would keep people in work.
I hope the government keep their contribution, it can lead to Ford AU keeping some manufacturing here.
I agree with that to. Dead wood shouldn't need help keeping afloat. But in this case its different as its actually a move in the right direction for once.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 06-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #15
MRJUCY
Fordless

One of Labor's election promises was to ban all government fleets from buying Australian built cars so I guess it fits in with their policies. I expect they'll come good on the money tho especially with Mitsubishi pulling out & a little union pressure but if it does go to court I hope they get their ***** handed to them even tho it will be us paying for it of course.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 06:47 PM   #16
dishpig
Only an xr6...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
One of Labor's election promises was to ban all government fleets from buying Australian built cars so I guess it fits in with their policies.
Why on earth would they not buy locally made cars, I can't see the benifit in that, hey lets screw over the little guys.

TICKFORD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FPV
dishpig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 07:34 PM   #17
ltd
Force Fed Fords

The ear wax eating muppet only wants hybrid cars; presumably so he can create more smug and smell his own flatulence like on South Park.

I would rather sell chop out my own liver than vote for the troglodyte bunch, so don't blame me.

Quote: