Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 18-11-2005, 02:05 PM   #1
TurboDOHCI6
Starter Motor

Unhappy It's official - 6.0L Holden Commodores

Extra V8 muscle for Holden Commodore
The Sydney Morning Herald
Friday November 18 2005

Petrol crisis, what petrol crisis? Holden is about to switch to 6.0-litre V8 power for its flagship models, reports TOBY HAGON.

If you're about to buy a new Holden Commodore SS or V8-powered Calais or Statesman, be warned: Holden is only weeks away from replacing its 5.7-litre engine in favour of a 6.0-litre V8 claimed to deliver a class-leading 264kW of power.

The new engine, codenamed L76, will arrive next month in preparation for stricter emissions regulations that come into force for all new cars sold from January 1 next year.

Drive understands the existing 5.7-litre V8 engine, codenamed LS1 but also known as the Gen III, does not meet the new Euro 3 emissions regulations.

Holden is yet to confirm the L76 for the Commodore. However, Drive sources suggest it will be phased in from late December so Holden dealerships have the new models when the new regulations come into effect.

Significantly, it is not the same 6.0-litre engine fitted to the HSV range. Holden's performance-car division has the 6.0-litre V8 that's used in the latest Corvette. The Holden 6.0-litre (the L76) is an engine primarily designed for truck use, according to Drive sources.

The engine switch also explains why Holden has crammed so much equipment into the Commodore SSZ limited-edition model, with extras such as bigger brakes, leather trim, Bluetooth phone connection - and only a $49,990 price tag. With the arrival of the 6.0-litre Commodore SS, Holden can ramp the price back up to its usual $51,000-plus.

The flagship of General Motors V8 range, the 297kW LS2, will be kept exclusively for the performance HSV models, providing more incentive for buyers to upgrade to the flagship of Holden's performance line-up.

For the number crunchers, the L76's claimed 264kW is 5 per cent more than the 250kW currently squeezed from the 5.7-litre. More importantly for owners, particularly those looking to tow, is the increased engine capacity also has the potential to quell one of the bugbears of the outgoing LS1; lacklustre middle-rev-range performance.

Such output improvements from the new 6.0-litre are also expected to deliver spin-off benefits in fuel consumption, which is crucial as high fuel prices continue to cause headaches for motorists.

The L76 is also expected to appear in other locally made Holden derivatives, such as the Statesman, Caprice and Calais.

As Drive went to press, it was unclear about the future of the V8-powered Adventra four-wheel-drive, which has been a flop since going on sale in late 2003.

Engineering the 6.0-litre L76 for the low-volume Adventra appears to make little sense, given the costs involved.

The arrival of the new L76 V8 engine gives Holden a perfect chance to address one of the major issues of the existing V8 - the clunky four-speed automatic transmission.

Now that rival Ford is offering a world-class six-speed automatic transmission on some models, Holden is under increasing pressure to respond.

http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/ar...vf=2&bg=1&pp=0

How will Ford respond?

Old 18-11-2005, 02:08 PM   #2
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDOHC
How will Ford respond?[/B]
By continuing to provide quality vehicles that don't need to have the biggest engine to try and be better.
Old 18-11-2005, 02:14 PM   #3
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMH
Holden is yet to confirm the L76 for the Commodore. However, Drive sources suggest it will be phased in from late December so Holden dealerships have the new models when the new regulations come into effect.
Right, so the author of the article says yes - holden are getting the L75 6.0L, then turns around and says "but we're not sure - we don't have confirmation" - so really the article is about as useful as those "my mate's an engineer at holden and recons" threads.

It may even be possible that the author of the article has been too busy reading that thread over on ls1. A hell of a lot of HSV owners will get burned - although as if that doesn't happen already. Im quite suprised that the HSVs don't have a resale value worse than a TL Magna ES.

Anyway, it will be hell funny if Holden just goes ahead with the 5.3 - be a bit of a pie in the face for this journalist if he's wrong.

Be awesome if Holden does go 6.0L - I would consider getting one if I could afford the fuel bill. Probably would wait for a VE though.
Old 18-11-2005, 02:17 PM   #4
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
The Holden 6.0-litre (the L76) is an engine primarily designed for truck use, according to Drive sources.
For the Ford owners being beaten up about the Boss being a truck engine, this is good to hear. You can now give this criticism back to the Holden drivers....

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

Old 18-11-2005, 03:32 PM   #5
MADDER
FF.com.au SAAB Driver

Truck engine or no, 264kW will make the unchanged for BF, BOSS260 look a bit silly. At least til now Ford has been ahead on power if not outright speed.

Awaiting the facts.

Now = 2006 SAAB 9-3 SportCombi with Heated Seats
Old 18-11-2005, 03:34 PM   #6
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yay! Gen 3's will become even cheaper!! Woo hoo!
Old 18-11-2005, 03:38 PM   #7
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Oh well cant say im really suprised, the LS1 was as dead as a dodo. But well :MrT_anim: who bought the LS2 HSV. Not only do you have a motor which is less advanced than the holden motor but with a minor edit I bet this new motor will be pushing 285+ kw and have a good dose of torque.

It does really cause Ford any concern, though it might provide the incentive to go something about the Boss 260 eventually down the track.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Old 18-11-2005, 03:42 PM   #8
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
Oh well cant say im really suprised, the LS1 was as dead as a dodo. But well :MrT_anim: who bought the LS2 HSV. Not only do you have a motor which is less advanced than the holden motor but with a minor edit I bet this new motor will be pushing 285+ kw and have a good dose of torque.

It does really cause Ford any concern, though it might provide the incentive to go something about the Boss 260 eventually down the track.
What makes you say the L76 is more advanced then the LS2?
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 18-11-2005, 03:48 PM   #9
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Variable Valve Timing and DOD

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Old 18-11-2005, 03:53 PM   #10
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

So whats the difference between this 6.0L engine and the LS2? Heavier Block?
Old 18-11-2005, 03:56 PM   #11
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
For the Ford owners being beaten up about the Boss being a truck engine, this is good to hear. You can now give this criticism back to the Holden drivers....
i thought truck engines were diesel powered .
Old 18-11-2005, 04:21 PM   #12
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
By continuing to provide quality vehicles that don't need to have the biggest engine to try and be better.

Exactly what Ive been saying too. Drop weight, Get better Gearing, Make the weight more balanced, Better aerodynamics, Flatter Torque curve etc etc Then watch how stupid the 6.0 litre badge looks getting blown away by a 5.4 or 4.0 turbo. All of the above helps braking and handling too, something that maximium kw doesnt.
Old 18-11-2005, 04:21 PM   #13
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i thought truck engines were diesel powered .
Nah, you're getting confused with the GEN3's. They are petrol powered but have so much piston slap that they sound like a big diesel.

By the way, is the L76 going to encounter the same problem as the LS1? They still have the same hollowed out piston design to reduce reciprocating mass, a major contributing factor to the redundant engines woes.

Quote: