Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

Wink A Thread To Come up with IDEAS for P-plate laws

ok guys and girls, here is what this thread is about:
seeing as P-Plate restrictions seem to keep popping up and fights always start i thought it would be a good IDEA to start BRAINSTORMING some ideas on realistic and fair P-Plate laws/restrictions. PLEASE i do not want crap posted in this thread, or fights starting out as i am SERIOUSLY thinking about sending this off to the government and trying to get this passed via petition.

i am one for all p-plate laws in Australia been the SAME! no more different state, different rules.

so lets start a list, remember ANYONE is free to post in this thread, so try not to be naive, and please DO NOT start fights in this thread.

so lets start a list ey?

1. a power to weight ratio limit such as 100kw/tonne 1st year, 120kw/tonne 2nd year, 140kw/tonne 3rd year, giving P-platers a GRADUATED licensing system and letting them get used to more powerful cars.

2. modification RESTRICTIONS (must have proof of power output after modifications by an authorised performance shop and must be within power to weight limits, unless an official exemption has been priorly made)

3. Tougher repercussions on "hoons" such as, no upgrade in power output for 12months, fine/demerit points etc etc

4. 1 (one) driver training day is COMPULSUARY before getting your P's

5. 0 (zero) tolerance on BAC, must be .000 to drive

6. breatherliser ignition locks fitted to those caught drink driving

feel free to add to the list but keep it fair

XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

7. No blown big blocks...

Old 27-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3. Tougher repercussions on "hoons" such as, no upgrade in power output for 12months, fine/demerit points etc etc
Forget that cr.ap, just impound repeat offeneders and sell/crush the car

4. 1 (one) driver training day is COMPULSUARY before getting your P's
Maybe one whole weekend?

7. Passenger limits
Old 27-10-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

I think your list is too harsh especially about modifications. How many people here have 100% legal modifications???

I think it should copy the NSW motorbike system.

1) Must do weekend driver training course before getting L's.
2) L's are valid for 3 months, 150kw tonne, must have supervised driver.
3) Must do driver training weekend before getting P's
4) P's valid for 1 year, 150kw tonne,
5) To graduate to full licence must have done one year without any driving offences.

My 2 cents. Young people learn quick why slug it for years??
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
RockyF75
Team Duct Tape Racing

How about none? And no, I'm not a P plater.

Short of banning any vehicle that can go faster than jogging speed, and weighs more than a human, people will always die, crash and burn on the roads. Younger drivers naturally have a bigger chance of this cause their inexperienced.

But the more laws you bring in the more the 'hoons' will break. It wont stop them from killing themselves, it will just stop young enthusiasts being able to have decent cars.

Think about it? If some one is willing to drive a ridiculous speeds, say 180 in a suburban area, and aren't afraid of getting caught. How will car restrictions or any other kind, make them any more afraid of being caught? It won't, it will only inconvenience the majority of law abiding younger drivers. The rest will just continue to drive their 'illegal' cars and hope to not get caught.

Sorry for the rant but I'm so sick of everyone picking on P platers and trying to wrap society in cotton wool
Old 27-10-2007, 03:18 PM   #6
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
I think your list is too harsh especially about modifications. How many people here have 100% legal modifications???
the only reason for that is due to people breaking the power to weight ratio rule, this keeping it fair and stopping 200kw-tonne cars in the hands of p-platers.
i myself am a p-plater and cannot stand the current rules, however the problem is it usually takes either experience, or an accident to wake most young drivers up, i had the accident, i'd rather others learnt through experience.

RockyF57: i dont agree with rapping society in cotton wool either, but i think certain things are there for a reason. also people could be stupid with a 12hp briggs n stratton if they wanted to.
Old 27-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #7
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

i know i am going to some p platers off and it mights save some ones life but there seems to be a lot of younger people losing there lives in faster type 4 and 6 cylinder cars so why not stipulate that they only be able to drive lower powered cars and also passenger curfew after say 8.30 at night just a thought
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2007, 03:44 PM   #8
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still think a few things mentioned here are bandaid fixes.

If the governments were serious about it, they'd spend the extra on taking the initiative with driver training, I think from before you get L's as well.

The L plate test is an absolute joke (I had a question that had a car at a red light, and a car at a green light asking which could go?), and fools many young kids into thinking that driving is a walk in the park. If they're taught from a young age that you need to respect others and the road whilst driving, there'd be less of a hero attitude from the start.

Then there's getting P's.. Once again, absolute joke. I got 100% and thought it was a walk in the park. Drive around a bit sticking to the speed limit and taking your time everywhere so it's virtually impossible to make a mistake, reverse parallel a couple times and that's it.

Driver training is a MUST before getting P's if they want to reduce crashes IMO. And not just on track physical training and how cars handle. Also mental training and some reading etc.

They have to get rid of the mindset that speeding, "hooning" and being a knob is "cool". As some of the older members have said, in their day if you were doing stupid things you were frowned upon by your mates, now you're a hero. What's changed in the years and what's brought on this thinking? Is it media/entertainment? Ie. Movies like fast and the furious? Is it the tight laws, and are they making the youth WANT to break them, because they put so many on us? I think that one is a good possibility. When it comes to P's, we're not talked to on an adult level, which we should be. We always don't know enough or aren't good enough to drive (even though there ARE poor drivers aged over 25) and we're too young to understand anything other than the fact that we cause all the accidents. If we were treated as responsible adults (which most are) then more would act like them.

Forget the impounding at this stage IMO. I've been in a couple bad circles of mates, one of them had his car impounded for 24 hours for driving like an absolute idiot. Did his mates tell him how stupid he was? Nope, he was treated like a hero for doing something 'dangerous'.

IMO, the number 1 priority is changing that mindset, and it starts MUCH younger than when you first get your P's.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2007, 03:49 PM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van D
I still think a few things mentioned here are bandaid fixes.

If the governments were serious about it, they'd spend the extra on taking the initiative with driver training, I think from before you get L's as well.

The L plate test is an absolute joke (I had a question that had a car at a red light, and a car at a green light asking which could go?), and fools many young kids into thinking that driving is a walk in the park. If they're taught from a young age that you need to respect others and the road whilst driving, there'd be less of a hero attitude from the start.

Then there's getting P's.. Once again, absolute joke. I got 100% and thought it was a walk in the park. Drive around a bit sticking to the speed limit and taking your time everywhere so it's virtually impossible to make a mistake, reverse parallel a couple times and that's it.

Driver training is a MUST before getting P's if they want to reduce crashes IMO. And not just on track physical training and how cars handle. Also mental training and some reading etc.
IMO, the number 1 priority is changing that mindset, and it starts MUCH younger than when you first get your P's.
This is what i don't get, there are literally hundreds of driver training courses avaliable to people RIGHT NOW!!!
People keep flogging driver training as the fix of all evils, well its avaliable to people NOW!!!

Why should the govt pay for it? Why should people need to be forced to do it?

Take responsibility for your own ability.

I do agree though, attitude is everthing..

no amount of driver training will solve that though....

Old 27-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #10
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I was on the P-plate equivalent, it was offered as a choice. If you completed and passed a advanced driving course (Licenced) then your time on your P's was cut in half.
It cost me $150, (more than a week and a halfs wages!!) but it saved my life.
Old 27-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #11
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz351
When I was on the P-plate equivalent, it was offered as a choice. If you completed and passed a advanced driving course (Licenced) then your time on your P's was cut in half.
NOW THERES AN IDEA!
except maybe not in half, but maybe take 6 months to 1 year off it.

and yeah the mentality needs to change, we all know that, but how do we change it?
Old 27-10-2007, 04:03 PM   #12
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
This is what i don't get, there are literally hundreds of driver training courses avaliable to people RIGHT NOW!!!
People keep flogging driver training as the fix of all evils, well its avaliable to people NOW!!!

Why should the govt pay for it? Why should people need to be forced to do it?

Take responsibility for your own ability.

I do agree though, attitude is everthing..

no amount of driver training will solve that though....
I have, and have done a course.

Want to know why other P platers don't do it? And this is from the mouths of fellow students I used to go to school with "I'm a good enough driver already, I don't need to do that crap" or "that's for chicks who don't know how to drive. I grew up on a property and have driven around paddocks so I know how to drive" etc.

Seriously though, the government doesn't need to pay for all of it IMO. Just slap another 50-70 bucks on the fee to get a licence or something. I'm sure kids will still go for it, even if their parents fork out the extra money for the training part.

I just honestly think that training will help with the attitude (and as I said, not just the physical driving part), even if it's not with the first generation, but the next few years to follow. Kids in year 12 about to get their license look up to the who drive past the school like idiots when it's 3pm and think it's cool. If the older drivers attitudes are changed, then they don't influence the next. It's got to start somewhere at least.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Old 27-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #13
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz351
And that's a bloody good idea IMO.
Old 27-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #14
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I truely pity the server the day compulsary driver training ever comes in... the Forums will be choked with threads from learners and P Platers wingeing and crying about the cost and how its "so unfair" and "an invasion of our civil liberties to force us to do it" and "we know better" and "we don't need it"... Bla bla bla....

Old 27-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #15
[dave]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^^^^^^^ ur complaining that young people will come on here and complain

Hipocrite
[dave] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #16
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

keep it on track guys, PLEASE.
Old 27-10-2007, 04:25 PM   #17
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van D
I have, and have done a course.

Want to know why other P platers don't do it? And this is from the mouths of fellow students I used to go to school with "I'm a good enough driver already, I don't need to do that crap" or "that's for chicks who don't know how to drive. I grew up on a property and have driven around paddocks so I know how to drive" etc.
I was the same. But my Dad still insisted that I take lessons on the road and do a advanced course. He even paid for me to drive a car that was equipped with 'outrigger' wheels on hydraulic jacks. Basically, you drive it normally round a racetrack until the instructor (sitting next to you with dual controls) flicks a switch and lifts a wheel, thus, making the car slide unexpectantly. Apart from being the most fun ever, it was a excellent learning curve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I truely pity the server the day compulsary driver training ever comes in... the Forums will be choked with threads from learners and P Platers wingeing and crying about the cost and how its "so unfair" and "an invasion of our civil liberties to force us to do it" and "we know better" and "we don't need it"... Bla bla bla....
We had the same reaction to workplace choices and the GST too!!
Old 29-10-2007, 09:01 AM   #18
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do they have a program in schools here where students are shown the very graphic aftermath of fatal accidents?? Both pics/video of the scene and of the grieving families?? I remember a program like this a few years ago, but never heard from it since....
cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 09:09 AM   #19
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCSEDAN

1. a power to weight ratio limit such as 100kw/tonne 1st year, 120kw/tonne 2nd year, 140kw/tonne 3rd year, giving P-platers a GRADUATED licensing system and letting them get used to more powerful cars.
I only agree with your point 1. But would add:

2. Youngest age for P's raised to 18.
3. Normal penalties like the rest of us for 15km/h and under but automatic suspension for 15km/h and over.
4. Compulsory comprehensive insurance (regulated).
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 09:42 AM   #20
T-BOOST
Blue Power enhanced

I seriuosly cant understand why car lisences arn't like motorbike lisences.
You can only get a 250cc on your L's why dont they make it.... You can only drive a 4 cyl on you P's on a car lisence (not modified at that)

also selling my C.A.P.A tune box

pics of my Turbo Ghia are here
EGO TTG
Dont forget to rate it :
T-BOOST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #21
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

power to weight is a waste of time and resources imho.. To hard to police and has next to no impact on your ability to drive. I'd be more inclined to enforce stricter safety inspections (RWC) on P platers cars, or cars driven by them.

I'd like to see no passengers between 8:00pm and 6am (family members exempt)

From a simplistic point of view I'll admit. Without someone to distract or gee you up it would have a vast effect on 'hooning', exponentially more than restricting the type of car they drive. Worst case is even if the meatheads continue to drive above the limits (road rules and experience/skill) they would only bring harm upon themselves not a car full off youngsters.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 10:06 AM   #22
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Driver training will not help those who cannot help themselves. Kids who do stupid things in cars will do them with or without training and if anything, the training will make them think they are a better driver than they really are.
Old 29-10-2007, 10:09 AM   #23
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Forget about power to weight ratio and no of passengers. Why doesnt the government simple teach them how to drive and ensure that they do mandatory driving courses before they can get there license. They also need to improve the testing method rather than just drive at 45 ks through certain roads the testing should be more rigorous and involve all aspects of vehicle control

Problem at the moment is that you have parents who cant drive teaching kids to drive, then when they can safely handle a car at 45 ks they get a license and then we wonder why they crash @ 100k's on a country road

Yes you will have some idiots that do something stupid, obviously all road laws need to be enforced and if someone is doing something stupid they lose there car plus the license.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 10:14 AM   #24
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

All you people pushing for vehicle restrictions are forgetting that this will be a death sentence to Ford.

When I got my P's the school car park was full of V8's probably 30% V8's and 80% Falcons and Commodores overall and these people have continued to buy Falcons and Commodores.

Looking at the school carpark the other day the vast majority were Lancers, Hyundais and Pulsars equipped with fart cannons and wings. I saw one VL and no Falcons.

Thanks to the new p plate vehicle restrictions the next generations idea of performance will be Toyota Camry Sportivo.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 10:16 AM   #25
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

licence suspended for 12 months for having frangipani stickers on your car and you are not a sexy babe.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 02:19 PM   #26
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
All you people pushing for vehicle restrictions are forgetting that this will be a death sentence to Ford.
How so ?
Not many P platers go and buy a brand new Ford V8.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #27
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

EASY.....
Make every P Plater drive a car with no more power than an old Datto 120Y.
Allow NO Power upgrades or speed Modifications to any such car.

And for those who want a performance car once they complete their P's, they MUST take a full advanced driver training course.

The theme....Keep it simple and the same for EVERYONE!!!! Aust Wide.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #28
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think that power restrictions work too well. A old datto can still do 100km per hour on an old country road.... If you restrict the power levels, they will not be used to the new power level once they get access to it. That in itself could create accidents.

Lets face it. People of all ages die on our road. There is no stopping that, simple.

Keep it simple and lower the passenger numbers, therefore reducing the risk of more deaths. That coupled with more compulsory driver education programs should be enough.
cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 03:06 PM   #29
BFYOOT

im with cuz351 too, or even some sort of credit system with the more driver training done, the shorter the term, or the wider range of cars you can drive. got my licence in an xb 302 and had v8's ever since, almost teaches you respect for driving a vehicle, rather than the vehicle driving you like a lot of the newer cars.
think the vehhicle restriction could be a bit harsh to maybe those families who only own the bigger engined cars, giving the kid nothing to drive.
BFYOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 03:10 PM   #30
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Threads like this, whilst they appear to be constructive, will mean stuff all and have dot points worth little if no impact to the problems they are intended to fix.
So to keep it short i will say- the type of 'p' plater that is likely to take any notice of tighter restrictions is not the type of 'p' plater who will wipe himself and 4 mates out whilst driving at crazy speeds with a gut full of dutch courage.
If you introduce tighter restrictions, the type of 'p' plater who will be a fool now will be the same fool, but will aquire a slightly longer list of offences.
And for those fools who do get caught before they kill themselves and accompanying party, i would say that even with their licence revoked they would still continue to drive albeit without a licence/rego and therefore no compulsory 3rd party bodily insurance to cover the poor soul they hit.

Nothing short of introducing the death penalty/lifelong incarseration for DUi/Hooning related fatal accidents will have much impact and i cant see that happening anytime soon!
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post