Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What to do? car been sitting for months

sorry about the title didnt know what to put!

my Fairlane 5L has had the dreaded water in the tranny. as i have not had the cash to fix it due to illness it has sat for 5 months. during this time the battery died and it has not been started. i have bought a new radiator and battery.

i want to start it and keep it in running order till i can get the auto replaced. so what should i do? can i take off the trans lines and join them, via a hose so i can at least start her up.

2, what do i clean out the cooling system with, its full of auto fluid.

3. is there anything i should be carful with after it not running for so long?

p.s its also on LPG.

Any help will be much appreciated.

amiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #2
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont see there being any issues with joining the trans cooler lines together

ive heard of people chucking a teaspoon of oil into the cylinders via the spark plug holes after cars sit for a long time

use a cooling system flush(nulon is a good brand) and LOTS of water to flush it out.

i dont see the trans fluid harming the cooling system but the water harms the auto.. so just maybe fill it with water and run it upto temp then let it cool and dump the water. Then refill and just plan to do another flush soon down the track

just dont drive the car around with the trans cooler disconnected

good luck!
by the way i have an auto for sale that needs a little work but was quoted $600 to get it repaired .... after about $500 which is alot cheaper than a rebuild.. and it has a light shiftkit/modified valve body and stuff in it

let me know mate