Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 04-04-2006, 08:43 PM   #1
BaYa
Just Cruzing

Default i need some car help

I have a 1991 EB Falcon S series 1 on duel fuel

my problem at the moment is that my car won't always run on petrol most of the time, some times it starts petrol on a rare occasion but most of the time it starts then dies on backfires maybe then dies, so i have to start it on straight gas. i've tried changing the fuel pump twice but it did nothing and im not shore where the relays are. thats my story and this is my first post so any suggestions would be great

BaYa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 09:18 PM   #2
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

*blind stab post*

Could it be the timing/dizzy? IE set up better for gas, and uber crap on petrol?
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 09:23 PM   #3
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

the injectors could be gummed up from lack of use?
Changed the fuel filter lately?
How old is the ULP in the tank?

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 09:24 PM   #4
Scott

How long has the car been running dual fuel and how much of that has been on gas? Could be that your injectors are clagged.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 09:25 PM   #5
BABOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaYa
I have a 1991 EB Falcon S series 1 on duel fuel

my problem at the moment is that my car won't always run on petrol most of the time, some times it starts petrol on a rare occasion but most of the time it starts then dies on backfires maybe then dies, so i have to start it on straight gas. i've tried changing the fuel pump twice but it did nothing and im not shore where the relays are. thats my story and this is my first post so any suggestions would be great
possible Blocked fuel injectors, fuel filter, rusted out/dirty fuel tank, check fuel pressure.
BABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 10:19 PM   #6
BaYa
Just Cruzing

i run the car on gas about 3 or 4 times a week as i deliver pizza's so i use gas when i do Deliveries and on some long trips otherwise its petrol all the way but the problem i have is with the petrol not the gas. and the gas tank was man on 20/7/1993 btw. the petrol just wont always start the car so i have 2 straight start it on gas to start the car but then the fuel pump fires up later after driving the car for a while. so i have no idea and its ИИИИing me
Old 04-04-2006, 10:25 PM   #7
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaYa
im not shore where the relays are.
I just re-read your first post mate. Relays should be situated near your battery, hidden by a black plastic cover. Not sure which relay does what though, as there are about 4 of them from memory (ie horn, fuel pump, headlights, and another for summink I can't think of)
Old 04-04-2006, 10:26 PM   #8
BaYa
Just Cruzing

Quote:
the injectors could be gummed up from lack of use?
Changed the fuel filter lately?
How old is the ULP in the tank?
no idea about the fuel filter have to check, im new to fixing my car but i want to learn as im a p-plater and have been driving for the past 6 months. im not affraid to get my hands dirty when i have people helping me
Old 04-04-2006, 10:28 PM   #9
BaYa
Just Cruzing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
I just re-read your first post mate. Relays should be situated near your battery, hidden by a black plastic cover. Not sure which relay does what though, as there are about 4 of them from memory (ie horn, fuel pump, headlights, and another for summink I can't think of)
ive had a look around there befor i was think it was under the water bottle but i have no idea im just guessing
Old 05-04-2006, 12:01 AM   #10
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
That block of relays are not the EFI and pump ones.

There are 2 relays under that block. These are the EFI and Pump relays.

MPFI = Green relay (Pump) and Brown relay (EFI) Could be vice versa, but im pretty sure those colours are correct. Theyre definately Green and Brown for MPFI anyway, and definately under the main block of relays beside the battery.

CPI = Black and ???
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 01:05 PM   #11
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351

MPFI = Green relay (Pump) and Brown relay (EFI) Could be vice versa, but im pretty sure those colours are correct. Theyre definately Green and Brown for MPFI anyway, and definately under the main block of relays beside the battery.

CPI = Black and ???
Ahh well, my bad :

We're getting warmer though!
Old 05-04-2006, 07:29 PM   #12
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Ahh well, my bad :

We're getting warmer though!
At least were in the engine bay, on the right side even.

Id say the relays have nothing to do with it. Its gonna be an injector, pump, filter thing.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:16 AM   #13
BaYa
Just Cruzing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351

CPI = Black and ???

i changed the green relay anyway and no change and then i cheackd the looms to see if there where any exposed wiring but there wernt so its either pump or som other thing related with fuel getting to the engine at start up.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:39 AM   #14
fmc351
let it burn

Ive only seen the remnants of a gas system, and I pulled those remnants from my EA recently.

Theres a 'petrol starter' junction box (mine was on the firewall, left side next to MAP). Look at that to see if its got any loose connections. I have no idea what the bas&#rd does, but I assume it switches from fuel pump to gas solenoid depending on what you want to run on. (id say the pump wouldnt fire up at all if gas was selected though)

Can you hear the fuel pump kick in? Does it shut off after its starts?
The pump is supposed to start pumping with the ignition on, and will shut down in a second or so if the crank doesnt turn.

Once turning or running the pump doesnt shutoff (except when gas is selected because of that isolation switch i mentioned above id say). It could be shutting the pump down.

Get someone to start it, while you listen at the rear, see if the pump shuts off before the car dies. That will eliminate the pump curcuit anyway.

If the pump is CFI, not MPFI, it will cause a problem too.

On those relays. The Pump relay obviously powers the pump, but its feed is from the other relay. The other relay feeds the whole EFI system. If thats cactus, changing the pump relay will not eliminate the relays as a fault. Look at the brown one too.

You can actually hold them, and get someone to turn the ignition on, they will click in your hand and youll feel it. One will click first, then immediately the next. If no crank turn, they both will click off a second later.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:01 PM   #15
BaYa
Just Cruzing

Thank you for all your great sugestions, i fixed the problem after i riped half the car apart. what is was, was a little joiner which joined the cables together had burnt and this joiner was located under the dash this was all my problem was not the relay, not the pump but a little frigin joiner