Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #1
pmacc

Default Australia driving on the Right post '17 (LHD)

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/o...-1227171342123

Not sure how many members have come across this story. In summary the writer John Gava advocates that once local car manufacturing is wound up, Australia should switch from Right Hand Drive to Left Hand Drive so that we can access global LHD models and that our roads will be much more accommodating to tourists.

Personally would love to see more American muscle over here alongside the Mustang, but i like my steering wheel on the Right side of the car. Also i don't want to entice the ultra cheap econoboxes/death traps out of eastern Europe/South America to join the market.
pmacc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 02:18 PM   #2
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Default Re: Australia driving on the Right post '17 (LHD)

Can you imagine what's involved in switching sides!
It will never happen

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 02:20 PM   #3
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

They already drive on the LHS here in Australia, just go down along the GOR.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #4
cram_it_frog
wombat

Now that is interesting the Top Gear guys did a trip into Burma and they just did the same thing switched sides

Now when you get of a local bus you walk right into oncoming traffic , now that is some thing you do not want

I have no idea why we have two ways of driving it is crazy but one day it may be cost effective to have one type of drive

I am happy where I am at present I have got Friends who have had a drive in USA and it really feel aukward but it is what you are used to

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #5
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would be chaos and imagine the cost to infrastructure.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 02:41 PM   #6
HELLOYOU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People cant even drive on the correct side as it is, both young and old.
HELLOYOU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2015, 03:01 PM   #7
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think it will ever happen, the cost would send the country broke, the logistics would be almost impossible to manage and then there is retraining drivers who may have driven on the left side for decades.

No chance.

I believe (have never looked into it) that it is a pommy thing to drive on the left, as pommies always seem to want to be different for the sake of being different, when the whole world decided to to drive on the right hand side they went the other way, and we have inherited this, along with some other countries.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 03:08 PM   #8
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Right hand drive has links to the first roads that were crossed by horseback. Left handers were thought of as heretics so you needed your right hand free for your sword.

I can't imagine the costs it would take to switch to left hand drive, but surely there's better things to spend it on.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 03:10 PM   #9
Shambles
Knucklehead

I believe the poms drove/rode on the left to have the sword hand ready for a forward challenge.
Shambles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 03:25 PM   #10
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

I've been reading that Right hand drive is better.

I have been reading on this recently.

The vast majority of humans are right-handed and right-eye-dominant. Because of this, apparently the Ancient Romans chose to drive on the Left so they could more easily identify and wield a weapon against oncoming threats.

Apparently the French began the Left-hand drive craze, for apparently no reason other to be different. Some say Napoleon, being left handed, thought this to be better, and imposed this everywhere he went.

Americans started using French pack-horses, and adopted the keep-right rule, supposedly to defy their former British colonial masters, and it continued to spread across the world.

And because of all that, 2/3 of the population drives on the 'wrong' side of the road, using the weaker left eye.
Research conducted showed that there were more accidents in LHD countries than RHD ones, although I'm not sure how many differing factors that takes into consideration.

Just some stuff I read!
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
11 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #11
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFalcon View Post
I've been reading that Right hand drive is better.

And because of all that, 2/3 of the population drives on the 'wrong' side of the road, using the weaker left eye.
Research conducted showed that there were more accidents in LHD countries than RHD ones, although I'm not sure how many differing factors that takes into consideration.

Just some stuff I read!
interesting, I tend to drive using both eyes at the same time

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 02-01-2015, 03:45 PM   #12
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is also better to keep your dominant hand on the steering control and use the less dominant one to change gears. Because right handers are in the majority it makes sense to drive on the left in a RHD vehicle. The yanks never figured that out.

I have driven 30,000 k's in America and Europe in the last 2 years and it is not a problem at all. Takes about 2 minutes to adjust. I have done less than 10,000 k's back here in Australia in the same time.

The hardest part is using the wipers and indicators at first when you change over as all the cars configured for driving on the right have them the opposite to our Falcons. You want to turn left and on go the wipers lol.

Cheers Mike

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 03:53 PM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit83 View Post
Can you imagine what's involved in switching sides!
Shouldn't be a problem.

When the changeover happens just get all the cars to change sides on Monday, and Trucks and Bus's on Tuesday !
Old 02-01-2015, 04:02 PM   #14
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
interesting, I tend to drive using both eyes at the same time
Lol, made me think of a pirate and then going one step further makes me think that there is a day now that we celebrate in Australia called “International pirates day”, maybe for this one day we can embrace it and all drive on the other side ...

Yeah that would go down well......not.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 04:06 PM   #15
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's an old article in regard to the Poms.

Quote:

Could the UK drive on the right?

By Tom Geoghegan
BBC News Magazine
7 September 2009

Motorists in Samoa have switched the side of the road they drive on, overnight. It's a move that Britain has considered - but how would it work?

It's the kind of interview question that has reduced confident job seekers to quivering wrecks.

Imagine you are the minister in charge of the UK's roads and you have to switch the country to driving on the right-hand side. How would you do it?

A study of Samoa, in the South Pacific, this week might offer some clues. The country is experiencing its first day of driving on the left on Monday, the start of a special two-day bank holiday to ease Samoans into the new regime.

WHY THE RIGHT/LEFT SPLIT?
In the pre-industrial era, horses kept to the left so riders could draw their sword
Napoleon changed Europe to the right
The US followed France
But British influenced India, Pakistan, Australia and the Republic of Ireland

What if the UK were to follow? Driving on the right would make trips to the European mainland easier, when taking or hiring a car. And cars with steering wheels on the left could be cheaper.

The idea is not as fanciful as it sounds. Although the Department for Transport says it has no plans to change, it did examine such a plan in the late 1960s, two years after Sweden successfully switched to driving on the right.

Its report rejected the idea on grounds of safety and costs. But that was before Britain's entry into the European Union and the opening of the Channel Tunnel, which for the first time established a land link between Britain and the Continent. So, if the UK was to think again about a switch, what would be the key issues?

SIGNS & JUNCTIONS

Road markings and roadside signs would have to be switched to the other side of the road, but ready in advance of the day of change, in a huge logistical exercise.

One-way streets would have to be reconfigured and traffic lights with filters changed, says Paul Watters of the AA. To get an idea of the cost, changing signs from miles to kilometres alone was estimated at £750m, he adds.

The biggest engineering issue would be highway building, says Benjamin Heydecker of the Centre for Transport Studies at University College London. About one in 10 motorway junctions is asymmetric or incomplete, so would need to be dug up and rebuilt.

"Motorway signs would have to be turned round and repositioned, so approaches to junctions would not be in the same place."

Accident blackspots would all need looking at too, because the signs there are site-specific and so would need to change.

ADJUSTING SLIP ROADS

"Entrance and exits to motorways are not symmetrical either, so there would be consequences there too," says Mr Heydecker.

Slip roads that were deceleration lanes would suddenly be used for accelerating, so their lengths would need to be extended; and vice versa.

EDUCATING DRIVERS

Although many motorists would be used to driving on the right - thanks to trips abroad - a comprehensive retraining programme would be needed, according to Mr Heydecker. Particular emphasis would be put on negotiating roundabouts (which would run anti-clockwise) and left-hand turns, which would require cutting across oncoming traffic.

After years of driving, habits are well entrenched and it might take more than a few lessons to get used to the new arrangements. But where could "learners" practise, before the switch?

CAR STEERING WHEELS & BUS DOORS

Making life even harder for motorists is the fixed right-hand driver's position of cars sold in the UK - suddenly drivers would find themselves further away from the centre of the road.

Over time British drivers would buy cars with left-hand steering, so they would be changing gears with their right hands.

The global manufacturing of cars would be simplified if all countries were to opt for left-hand steering, says Mr Heydecker.

"If cars were all manufactured the same way, it would reduce the cost of design and improve the quality of vehicles."

Public service vehicles like buses would also have to undergo a massive overhaul so that their doors were on the right-hand-side of the vehicle.

LEARN FROM SWEDEN

Preparations were made long in advance, says Niklas Stavegard of Motormannen, which is the Swedish Automobile Association.

WHY DID SWEDEN DO IT?
Sweden's neighbours drive on right
It already had left-hand steering
In 1955, 83% voted against change
But the parliament voted in favour in 1963

"All road signs were doubled, new signs on the right-hand side, which were covered until the day of the change. On the particular day, the left-hand side signs were covered and right hand side signs were used."

The change was made at 0500 on Sunday 3 September 1967. All private traffic was banned between 0100 and 0600 and there was a total stop on all traffic at 0450, with a countdown on the radio to 0500.

The speed limit in urban areas was lowered from 50km/h to 40km/h for a period of time after the change.

A majority of all cars already had the steering wheel on the left side, so no change was made to cars.

COST

In 1969, the financial burden of making the switch was calculated by the government to be £264m - about £3.4bn today. But that would now be seen as a ridiculously conservative estimate.

"Since that time, the road network and the level of sophistication of the network and its controlling infrastructure has grown enormously," says a spokeswoman for the Department for Transport.

Additional costs would include all buses being changed, alteration to motorway entrances and exits, and traffic control systems.

"Casualties would also be likely to rise, and the current cost of a fatality is £608,580," she says. "This could be particularly true for elderly road users who are less able to adapt to changed conditions."

THE VERDICT

The Republic of Ireland, which has already changed its road signs from miles to kilometres, briefly considered this move to greater European integration last year, when a pro-Brussels political party suggested it. But it was swiftly rejected.

"When the question came up, it was followed by the question 'Is it needed?' and the answer to that was 'No', says Sean O'Neill of the Irish National Roads Authority.

"If it was needed or if the UK did it, and left us as one of the last European countries driving on the left-hand side, then we would think differently."

For a significantly bigger country, like the UK, with a relatively more developed road network, the challenge would be even greater.

The immediate fear would be of road chaos and mass casualties, says Philip Gomm of the RAC Foundation.

"Given that any change would have to be instantaneous, and the nation's roads are never quiet, only less busy - indeed Britain has some of the most congested roads in Europe - how do you seamlessly get everyone onto the other side of the carriageway?

"The whole concept is mindboggling. It would be a logistical nightmare involving huge public education, vast sums of money and a massive amount of staff - and all so we can be like the French.

"So probably the best advice to anyone even contemplating such a scheme is; don't bother. If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Additional reporting by Finlo Rohrer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8239048.stm
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2015, 04:08 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Just let us import/drive LHD cars if we choose to, so if you are capable of driving a LHD car then buy/drive one.

I mean we can already drive a 25 year old LHD car on the road but not a new one, what gives?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 04:08 PM   #17
sierra63
Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
When the changeover happens just get all the cars to change sides on Monday, and Trucks and Bus's on Tuesday !
Remind me to take a months holiday (out of the country) at time of changeover, just while all other try and work it out...
Old 02-01-2015, 05:01 PM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wouldn't like to guess how many deaths changing over would cause in the time it takes for people to really get used to driving on the other side, its a stupid idea just to get a few different import cars here when we are already flooded with the amount of different imports to the point of ridiculousness.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-01-2015, 05:44 PM   #19
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

pmsl
its not going to happen (changing to left re driving)
but lets open up the lhd market
please
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 05:45 PM   #20
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

It won't happen, particularly in the ballot box focussed governments we have. Particularly in these times no-one will want to cop the initial costs of doing this.

It sounds good in theory but the practicalities will not support it.

Imagine after the change what your RHD car would be worth. Come trade in time you may as well drive it to the tip, remove the number plates and walk out.

On a personal level I think I'd struggle with the change.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 06:04 PM   #21
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have driven a number of LHD cars locally - all over 25 years old (some much older) and own 2 LHD vintage cars.

I personally have no issues, and it's not hard to keep it within your lane, or see the other road users and hazards around you.

It can be a challenge for other motorists who aren't very intelligent though..... At roundabouts people seem puzzled and hold up traffic while they work out why there's only 1 guy in the car, on the LHS. I once had a taxi driver freak out and nearly run me off the road because he thought the car had no driver (but I guess a number of cabs do that anyway, regardless of where the driver sits....)

And don't get me started on the idiots who don't understand hand signals (I have a '28 Chev - RHD - without blinkers. When pulling up to turn right at an intersection, a clown came running over from the opposite footpath, slapped my hand & yelled out 'high five' - completely oblivious to the reason for my arm out the window....

But the biggest problem for the bogans of Australia - all the drive thru fast food would have to be reconfigured. That's a national disaster......

Last edited by commodorenutt; 02-01-2015 at 06:15 PM.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2015, 06:11 PM   #22
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Just let us import/drive LHD cars if we choose to, so if you are capable of driving a LHD car then buy/drive one.

I mean we can already drive a 25 year old LHD car on the road but not a new one, what gives?
just dont let import student taxi drivers in them
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 06:12 PM   #23
AUwindsor

it might happen in 20-30 years time when all the ceo fossils with delusions of aussie grandeur are senile

the ones that think selling us aussies overweight overpriced and underengineered vehicles would continue

throw a VF commodore bodyshell on a 1995 VR executive.. there's your 300kg weight saving and better fuel efficiency and performance

IRS + 1900kg kerb weights sure sells a lot of tyres for the petrochemical companies
AUwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 06:20 PM   #24
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

stupid idea

where does this guy think we would get the money to have every road in the country re-engineered and modified

the author's "Sweden did it" example is about 50 years out of date

just allow LHD cars but keep the roads LHD

can't be that hard to drive an LHD on the left
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 06:22 PM   #25
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUwindsor View Post
it might happen in 20-30 years time when all the ceo fossils with delusions of aussie grandeur are senile

the ones that think selling us aussies overweight overpriced and underengineered vehicles would continue

throw a VF commodore bodyshell on a 1995 VR executive.. there's your 300kg weight saving and better fuel efficiency and performance

IRS + 1900kg kerb weights sure sells a lot of tyres for the petrochemical companies
Don't bother poking the finger at local sedans.

Look at all the SUVs that outsell large sedans in a huge way. These things are heavier, use a lot more fuel, and spew out a lot more tailpipe emissions, and that's just going to the schoolyard & back....
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 06:37 PM   #26
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

The author of that article forgot about the millions of RHD cars already on Australian roads, that would then be driving on the wrong side of the road.

The article reminds me of the silly subject titles I had to write essays on in English at secondary school. Writing just for the sake of it and no thought of the big picture.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2015, 06:45 PM   #27
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
I have driven a number of LHD cars locally - all over 25 years old (some much older) and own 2 LHD vintage cars.

I personally have no issues, and it's not hard to keep it within your lane, or see the other road users and hazards around you.

It can be a challenge for other motorists who aren't very intelligent though..... At roundabouts people seem puzzled and hold up traffic while they work out why there's only 1 guy in the car, on the LHS. I once had a taxi driver freak out and nearly run me off the road because he thought the car had no driver (but I guess a number of cabs do that anyway, regardless of where the driver sits....)

And don't get me started on the idiots who don't understand hand signals (I have a '28 Chev - RHD - without blinkers. When pulling up to turn right at an intersection, a clown came running over from the opposite footpath, slapped my hand & yelled out 'high five' - completely oblivious to the reason for my arm out the window....

But the biggest problem for the bogans of Australia - all the drive thru fast food would have to be reconfigured. That's a national disaster......
Drive through from the exit?
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 06:45 PM   #28
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shouldn't the rest of the world change to RHD.

They are the ones that got it wrong.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 09:21 PM   #29
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Yeah won't happen, but I agree with letting LHD car in the market. I used to think it'll be hard to drive a left hand drive vehicle, but now I'm a garbo so I'm swapping sides all day.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2015, 09:46 PM   #30
bathurst-racer

My 1970 Torino is LHD and as people here say its not a problem driving it. The issue I find is that sitting in the right hand front seat is disconcerting for the passenger. My gf is really spooked sitting there.
bathurst-racer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: