Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-08-2006, 06:20 PM   #1
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Default Why Dyno's are only good for tuning.

Hi all, I thought I might show the different readings you can get from different dyno machines. I just had a bit more work done and a tune up. The dyno graph from the tune up shows 272rwkw and a max torque of 450nm, max.
Now the other dyno, which is my local one shows a completely different set of figures. I use my local dyno after every modification, and it is my guide only, to tell me if the mods have improved things or not. It does not really matter what the numbers say, just that they have improved since last time I went.
So again it goes to prove that the drag strip is the only real place to prove your strenght. But you can use your highest dyno reading for bragging :hihi:
Last run I did was a 13.53, I can't wait for Whoopass nights again.

Anyway, the 2 graphs below show the differences in dynos, with only 100 odd kays travelled inbetween runs.

This graph was Saturday
[IMG][/IMG]

This one was today
[IMG][/IMG]

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 06:32 PM   #2
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

dyno sheets make good toilet paper buddy

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 07:26 PM   #3
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Not true.

dynos will generally give a result thats within the ballpark of the real rwkw figure. Anyone hoping for exact numbers will want to be pulling their motor.

Dyno setup and location will obviously provide different results, blaming the dyno for giving a different result to another isnt much of a solution.

drag strips arent the final solution for bragging rights either. Theres more than a few people out there who cant drive very well. Getting a good launch and proper shifts dont come naturally to alot of people.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Bah. every one who knows anything about Dyno's know that Dyno Dynamics and DynoJet read different by a massive amount... the DD's are a far better tuning and measurement tool than the DJ inertia dynos (which are renowned for having a fudge factor in them and reading 10-15% high)
Old 07-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #5
Da_Sheep
351 XC Cruise Beast

yeah dyno figures can be way off, ive got a 351 cleveland with mild work and my dyno run showed 130Kw's and 780nm of torque to basically my engine suposedly went backwards from stock figures and the torque went through the roof, but i reckon it was the operator more than the dyno...
Da_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 08:48 PM   #6
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

You still need dyno's though!! I wouldn't give my engine too much curry until its "tuned properly"...You must know that two different brands are going to be different...Just like anything else you could have a quick 1/4 mile car and be a dog on the street....Horses for courses
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 08:59 PM   #7
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
Not true.

drag strips arent the final solution for bragging rights either. Theres more than a few people out there who cant drive very well. Getting a good launch and proper shifts dont come naturally to alot of people.
So many things can affect ET, But MPH is a good indication of power to weight

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 09:00 PM   #8
HLC
Audi S3

you will never get a true indication of a cars power. i can say i have 150 rwkw, and another AU Falcon has the same. but my Fairmont will be slower down the quarter cause of the extra weight. provided the cars are exactly the same. same tires, wheels, driver whatever.

there are an infinate amount of variables involved in both dyno runs and down at the strip. thats just my 2cents.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:25 AM   #9
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger
dyno sheets make good toilet paper buddy
That is only the case when you don't know anything about dyno's!

It takes time to find consistency amongst dynometers. It also it hard when you compare two different brands (like comparing Holden and Ford) also there are the individual settings set by the operator and to whether he wants it accurate or not.

The Dyno is an awesome machine when used correctly and can be the perfect tune.

If you want to use it as it is not designed for, then don’t expect accurate results.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2006, 08:02 AM   #10
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dyno'd also assist with car setup so when you get to the strip it's got the correct stall convertor, gears and tyre profile.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post