Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 18-09-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Default K&N kit for the fez

i was on the K&N site looking for the Fiesta Kit. i came accros the correct one. after clicking on the instruction manual to see if there where any pictures of it being installed i was shocked to see K&N having the pod filter actually sitting on top of the engine. now im sure that this actually will take in heated air compared to cool air. they did have a pipe from the front of the car coming up to 10cm away from the pod filter.

can anyone tell me if this design is flawed or if its a fairly decent one. also K&N are using the standard hose from the engine to the airbox. i would of thought they would of suplied there own.

K&N air filter installation instructions

any thoughts any one.

i managed to find this system from BMC which also uses the same pipe.
id much rather use the BMC system.

BMC air system

Last edited by photn; 18-09-2006 at 01:44 PM.
photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 02:27 PM   #2
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The BMC is arguably THE best induction kit short of ITB but you have to pay (Thats around $540 for a airfilter). Both those mounting points are poor as they have it sitting ontop of the engine (even a shielded box will gain some heat).

Unless your chasing big power a POD will be fine as long as you run it infront of the engine not at the back. The BMC has an awesome induction roar though
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 05:47 PM   #3
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

The BMC setup looks pretty sexual, big dollars though

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 07:08 PM   #4
nnng_oozie
Bone Stock Fiesta!

Yeah unless you are going for big power u might as well save some money and get a panel filter, they still make a difference. Thats what i have in my fez.
nnng_oozie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2006, 01:17 AM   #5
zing

for the panel filter, K&N or BMC?
and how much are they normally, whereabouts can u get these filters from, supercheap, repco?
zing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2006, 08:21 AM   #6
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing
for the panel filter, K&N or BMC?
and how much are they normally, whereabouts can u get these filters from, supercheap, repco?
yer supercheap and Repco. there about 80 ish. have to search around. look for the part number on the K&N website. just search for the fiesta. then quote it at supercheap or repco. just so that you get the right model.

Old 20-09-2006, 04:12 PM   #7
zing

what about BMC, are they readily available too?
Really there cant be that much difference between K&N and BMC panel filter?
but course diff. if was CAI, pod filter
zing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 04:15 PM   #8
photn
AFF Post NAZI

there readily available as well. go to BMC filter website and do as b4. call repco...blah blah blah.....there basically the same to me. but ask ppl that use them like Danny.

Old 23-09-2006, 08:07 PM   #9
04RSD
shinanigans

hey guys this is how to do it properly
2" 90 off the throttle body 2 to 3" cone 3" 90 and bolt your k and n filter to that.
you can see the mount plate it tucks under the support panel where the factory cold air is.
and the breather return line was an afterthought but very good
what do you think?
its a perfect fit :
04RSD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 08:08 PM   #10
04RSD
shinanigans

sound absolutely mind blowing, at half throttle it sound like a turbo spooling and full throttle everyone stops and looks
Old 24-09-2006, 03:42 AM   #11
Danny
GT4.

Why did you fit the return line like that? Its not the way it works as standard. Most people just put a mini breather filter on it.

The way you have it would mean that You'd be sucking engine oil back into the throttle body.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 06:53 PM   #12
04RSD
shinanigans

it sucks the dirty air back into the throttle body as standard too, it only has a small piece of foam it has to go through
Old 24-09-2006, 10:48 PM   #13
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any reason for the size change?

Looks good
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 09:47 AM   #14
photn
AFF Post NAZI

that looks cool. but i would of shortened the pipe a little. same length as the standard pipe when flipped. but other wise looks good. ware did you get it and how much.

Old 25-09-2006, 10:24 AM   #15
04RSD
shinanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
Any reason for the size change?

Looks good
yeah the filter is 3" and the bigger the better
where did i buy it from? i made it $70 worth of bends
Old 25-09-2006, 11:25 AM   #16
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RSD
it sucks the dirty air back into the throttle body as standard too, it only has a small piece of foam it has to go through
You should put an inline filter in the return line. That "little piece of foam" catches a fair bit of oil, so you need something to replace it.

I did the same thing on the Pipercross on my Focus, but put a small inline filter in to catch the crap
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 03:48 PM   #17
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RSD
Dude, Ever pulled that bit of foam out? Its covered in oil and dirt. It doesn't get sucked into the engine, its a breather. That piece of foam does more than you'd think.

EDIT: Steve just told that anyways. Didn't realise.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post