Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Advice needed

I have recently been shopping for a new laptop, anyway went to Havey Norman, Good Guys, Dick Smith etc but they either didnt have the laptop I wanted or I couldnt get customer service.

So my wife suggested I try online, so I found the laptop I wanted online, which was great - it was cheaper than I saw advertised at the shops so I asked a few questions and a few companies got back to me (not all) Anyway the company that responded the quickest, provided a good price not the best, but I thought I would order through them.

Ordered the laptop, they charged my credit card and sent a back order report stating the goods will be delivered tomorrow 25/5. Fine I am happy with that, but then received a call today to say the manufacturer has just put their price up and therefore if I still want the laptop I need to pay an additiona $170 (or thereabouts)

I questioned the guy and said no you need to stick to your original quote, but was advised that they are free to change pricing whenever they want. I then advised the guy that you have already charged my credit card. Anyway he said that is his companies policy and thats my problem. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Advice needed

Call the bank to reverse the transaction.

Then get onto consumer affairs PRONTO....

No, they can't change the price and ask for more after you have agreed to and paid for an item.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a similar things.

Got quoted the wrong shipping from the states.

basically nothing I could do except get a refund and buy from another shop.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have gone to consumer affairs and under their advice told them they may be in breach of sections 18, 29 and 36

I am just really surprised, spoken with someone else and they advised as they have taken my money I have a very good case so will see what happens I suppose. Was just wondering if this is common practise or if others have had similiar experiences and if so how did they get it resolved.

Old 24-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1 thing to remember, is fighting for $170 might not be worth the trouble. You may end up with a laptop that has had its screen cracked, missing parts etc.
The guy might be angry if you take further action and make the whole purchase a bad time.

That is the problem with online, you can not just take it back to the shop.

Might not be worth the fight over $170
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
1 thing to remember, is fighting for $170 might not be worth the trouble. You may end up with a laptop that has had its screen cracked, missing parts etc.
The guy might be angry if you take further action and make the whole purchase a bad time.

Yep that thought crossed my mind (that they may remove an component or something) Thankfully I do have a very detailed quote, and if I do end up with the laptop I will go over it very carefully.

The whole purchase has already been an poor experience - but will see what they say - so far no voices raised no anger etc. But will see, never thought it would be this hard to buy a laptop.

Last edited by SB076; 24-05-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 24-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

get your money back and buy online from dell they have a simple online odrering process and give you next business day onsite warranty

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #8
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Call the bank to reverse the transaction.

Then get onto consumer affairs PRONTO....

No, they can't change the price and ask for more after you have agreed to and paid for an item.

This ^^^^^

Dont mess around and dont take any rubbish from them. They took the money and entered into an agreement.
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled

Wrong... it certainly is worth it
How many people get scammed like this?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

It's good that you've taken quick action. Like others have said, it is complete garbage and don't stand for it.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Wrong... it certainly is worth it
How many people get scammed like this?
Jim, I think the angle they were referring to was fighting to save the $170, then continuing with the transaction... In other words, not worth fighting, just demand your refund and spend elsewhere.

If they are like this now, what happens come warranty time?

I got done over just buying a laptop battery from overseas. Took months of threats and constant emails to get most of my refund.

After a little research... I think I'm the ONLY customer to have ever got a cent back for a return.....

SB076... how specific are your requirements? JB / Dick Smith etc always have sales and always have 'end of model' discounts... It would have to be a saving of at least 30% to buy a laptop online.

If it's a recognised mob like Dell you will be fine, especially if they offer on-site warranty. Many other online shops deal ONLY with mail, so if you have any problems you need to correctly pack and post your machine back, costing time and money..

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The laptop is a Toshiba (my previous laptop is a Toshisba and I never had a problem with it, so thought i woudl stick with that, but I am not that fussed)

I am not that specific with my requirements, but I usually try to buy something that lasts and try to buy reasonable quality, so I dont have to update as often (my current laptop would be around 5 or 6 years old) The laptop I was looking at getting was a Toshiba 870/027 (yeah I know a lot of stuff there I dont need, but I may need it in a few years)

Will speak to a bank, today looking at it last night I can easily reverse charges - but I am still tempted to try to keep these guys honest and honour the contract from their end.

Old 25-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #13
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quick update, the company has now said they can honor the price, but the laptop is on back order and I need to wait. Which is interesting because yesterday they advised me that they had two in stock (in writing) and previously they informed me that they shipped the laptop on the 21/5 (again in writing) These guys couldn't lie straight in bed if they wanted too.

The company is A03 Independent Computer Seach located in Crows Nest Sydney. I would avoid these guys no matter what

Edit: I have two choices now apparently, I can either wait (probably indefinitely) or pay more (and yes the price has risen again, its now not just the $170) the price has increased approx. $200 now)

Old 25-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #14
Mr H

Ask for a refund, if they are like this now imagine when u have warranty issues, you think they're gonna be any better? Not to mention courier companys delivering goods! Do you think boxes and cartons that are dented/damaged/look like they have been kicked/slid across the floor come like that from the manufacturer?.....i dont think so!!! But thats another issue. Just ask for a refund buddy, and if u really have to buy online, Dell is the most reputable.
Mr H is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #15
BHDOGS
Banned

Perhaps someone from here could visit them in Sydney for u
And make them an offer they can't refuse
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #16
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks everyone for your input, I am trying to cancel the order (as thats the quicked process) I dont trust these guys at all, and beleive they would end up subsiting components etc.

Have spoken to the bank they can reverse the charge but it could take 60 days.

I would avoid these guys (A03) at all costs, they may offer you a good price, but they obviously have company policy that means they can change their pricing when it suits them and it doesnt matter if you have paid for the goods or not,bad luck